• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Five Best Songs of 2012

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Alternatively to Utzipher's Five Worst Songs of 2012 thread, what do you think were the five best songs of 2012?

1. I Knew You Were Trouble., Taylor Swift - This was a single released by Taylor Swift back in October off her album Red. I enjoy this song because Swift took a huge a step in the right direction with her experimentation of implementation of other genres in her own music (most prevalent in this song: dubstep) with it and, for once, I'm listening to one of her songs over and over and over.. You can't deny that it's a good song, opinions for Swift herself aside.
  2. One More Night, Maroon 5 - This is probably extremely bias since I'm a huge fan of Maroon 5, but they hit the mark with this one. It's classci Maroon 5 but with enough of a twist to make it unique and still enjoyable to listen to a few times in succession without it getting old.
  3. Bad Boy, BIGBANG - This reminds me so much of Monster and Blue that it's just asdasfdsf how can you not love it? This is yet another spectacular hit of theirs and deserves all the fame it has garnered since its release early this year.
  4. Hello, Karmin - Another bias because I love Karmin (except their covers; jesus christ those are terrible) and this song brings out Amy Heidemann's excellent and unique rapping style in its main choruses and her beautiful, powerful voice in the chorus. The music video also isn't half bad, albeit not making much sense, haha.
  5. Some Nights, fun. - What can I say?

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
This time I can narrow it down to specifics lol. In no particular order:

Blow Me (One Last Kiss) by Pink
All her songs are really catchy in my opinion, but I really liked this one.

Reunion by M83
Probably one of the lesser known groups, but out of the songs they released in '12 I thoroughly enjoyed Reunion. Would've been Midnight City, but that was '11.

Locked out of Heaven by Bruno Mars
Don't actually listen to a lot of Bruno Mars, but I love this song. It makes me feel upbeat whenever I listen to it.

Home by Phillip Phillips and It's Time by Imagine Dragons
Good songs, albeit overplayed, no real in-depth explanation lol.

This was the year I kinda started listening to more mainstream music. Not disappointed at all!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I find this harder than doing worst songs. I am constantly talking about songs I hate, but I never take a step back to remember what I'm really loving. Not only that, but I have a hard time keeping track of what actually came out in a certain year. For example, I downloaded lots of older songs and albums in 2012 that weren't released in 2012. So this is a more difficult list to come up with than the worst five of 2012. But I'm going to try my best!

I have to give some honorables though:
10. Aegis - The Mars Volta
9. Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye feat. Kimbra
8. Wide Awake - Katy Perry
7. Carried Away - Passion Pit
6. Civilian - Wye Oak

I just want to say I love all those songs in that bottom 10-6 and it was pretty hard to actually choose five from the top ten I narrowed down. If you haven't heard any of them, you definitely need to change that, especially Civilian. One of my favorite songs of all time. Someone's gonna shoot me for letting #5 beat that. Or hell, any of the 10-6 lose to #5...so here you go.

5. Gangnam Style - PSY
OKAY. I know what you're thinking. But let's be honest, if you can excuse the fact that this song was overplayed to hell and back, you have to give credit where credit is due. This song is catchy, upbeat, and great. The dance is fun and contagious. The video is hilarious and will probably be one of the most recognizable videos in years to come. And let's not forget how many views it has. I think it's amazing this song made a break through in the international charts the way it did. How many times a year do you get to hear K-Pop on your boring American radio station? Plenty of times with this of course, but you can't really say that prior to 2012. I think PSY really used the technology of today to its full advantage to make it so great internationally, and I can appreciate and respect that. Ayyyyy, sexy lady!

4. No Tell - Smoke and Jackal
I only recently got into this song, but my God, it's just so good. I'm gonna have to put it a little lower on this list though...cause it's...a bit nasty haha. If you actually read the lyrics, it's a bit less than pleasant, but still, it just goes so well with the actual music. tl;dr it's a beautiful song about giving head...!

3. The A-Team - Ed Sheeran
I'm not quite sure if this counts as 2012, as I bought the album at the very beginning of 2012, but it was in London. And the song didn't hit my coast till a few months ago, so I think I'm just gonna count it here. But I do love this song, and it's nice hearing someone from across the pond that's, um...you know. NOT One Direction. Haha. His lyrics are beautiful and I love the album as a whole, so I guess I'm cheating by putting this in 3rd since I'm kind of letting it represent all of +. Definitely give it a listen if you enjoy this single.

2. Ho Hey - The Lumineers
I can't help but want to grab a nice guy and run out into a meadow while wearing a nice yellow sundress when I hear this song. It's just so simple, so sweet, and it gives me a big smile when it comes on. It's brilliant, as well as the rest of their album. There really aren't any words to express my happiness when this song comes on! It's really hard to put this song at #2, though. I feel like I'm not giving it what it deserves, but I will say it cracked into my personal favorite songs of all time, and that is quite an accomplishment. If I could marry a song, I'd marry this one.

1. Titanium - David Guetta feat. Sia
This was the song of the year, in my opinion. The feel good anthem of my life, really. It makes me feel invincible. And I feel strong. I would put the song on repeat as a spirit lifter, and that's truly what it does, if not more. And let's not forget Sia's voice. Oh my God. And I also want to make an honorable mention to Boyce Avenue's cover of Titanium. Give it a listen if you enjoy this song. But Titanium should definitely top official charts for #1 song of 2012.

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
Years
Honorable Mentions (because sometimes 5 just isn't enough):
10. Gangnam Style - Psy
9. Diamonds - Rihanna
8. Carried Away - Passion Pit
7. Wide Awake - Katy Perry
6. Red - Taylor Swift

5. Ritual - Ellie Goulding

I don't think I need to say much to explain why I listed this song in my Top 5. It is a beautifully composed and beautifully written song all on its own. One of the best songs from Ellie Goulding's latest album, and a highlight in the 2012 music scene.

4. Oblivion - Bastille
I first heard this song during an episode of "The Vampire Diaries" and I fell for it. Hard. I actually only acquired it not that long ago over the holiday season and have been playing it repeatedly through iTunes and before that, YouTube. It's a depressing kind of song, and kind of reminds me of Coldplay, but it's a beautiful song. My only problem is that it's far too short. Or rather, I enjoy it so much that it ends too soon.

3. Tiptoe - Imagine Dragons
While the many of you were enjoying listening to "It's Time" by Imagine Dragons, I was busy playing this song on loop for hours at a time. Following right behind would be "Amsterdam" and "Bleeding Out." Seriously, if this thread was about "Five Best Albums of 2012" Imagine Dragons would probably be my number one. I can comment about how much I wholeheartedly enjoy "Tiptoe" but the same could be said for their whole album.

2. Skyfall - Adele
What can I say? Skyfall was probably one of the best songs to hit the music scene during 2012. It also complimented the movie "Skyfall" perfectly as well. Adele brought some of her best work into this song, and I kind of wish it was written for "21" so it would have had an even bigger success than it did (or is that being too greedy?).

1. Thrift Shop - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (feat. Wanz)
Hip Hop / Rap isn't typically my favorite genre, but when I hear a song as funny and catchy as "Thrift Shop" then I must admit defeat. It's refreshing to hear something that isn't about sex, drugs, money (well, sorta) or love and heartbreaks. It's upbeat, hilarious, and the music video for it is excellent. Definitely my number one song of 2012 and going into the new year.

Suddenly it occurred to me just how much music 2012 really gave us and how answering this thread turned out to be much harder than I originally thought it would be.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
This is so hard for me, because I'm an album person. I like listening to full albums. I hate having single songs from various artists in my library. No, if I like a song on the radio, I'll download their entire album and listen to that. Picking from my favorite albums released in 2012 is hard enough on it's own, much less picking five individual songs released in 2012. My five best songs of 2012 are songs that are both catchy, melodic, and also lyrically intelligent and meaningful. It took me so long to narrow it down to five, but this is what I have (artist name - song name):

Ellie Goulding - Ritual
Lana Del Rey - Bel Air
Imagine Dragons - Amsterdam
Metric - Speed the Collapse
Passion Pit - Carried Away

I'm not even going to explain why. I think the songs speak for themselves.

Years
OK, since I posted in the opposite thread I shall post here too.

1. Psy - Gangnam Style
Oh god this was a viral song that drew me into the funny vocals and that crazy dance. Loved it.

2. will.i.am - Scream And Shout (feat. Britney Spears)
Yeah, it came out late but I got hooked on it thanks to that avatar/sig from Curious. a few weeks ago, so kudos to him for getting me liking this song.

3. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop
I don't usually like hip-hop, but this one seems like an exception to me.

4. Sam And The Womp - Bom Bom
Again, another one Curious. got me into liking, super catchy and neat video to match!

5. Calvin Harris - Most of the songs he released that year
My honorable mentions go especially to We'll Be Coming Back and Sweet Nothing. I liked the pacing in them, the guest vocalists (Example and Florence Welch respectively) and I got into the former thanks to an avatar/sig that our Emulation mod giradialkia used.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Top five songs of 2012 for me included:

5. We Are Young- Fun.
What? I love this song! Its so catchy. It makes me feel energized.

4. Titanium- David Guetta and Sia
This was really catchy also. When you play this song on full volume, all I have to say is wow! Gets me pumped. Also, the music video for it is cool as well.

3. Radioactive- Imagine Dragons
What I love the most about this song is the beat. If you listen to this at full volume, like Titanium, its incredible! Go listen to it!

2. Gangnam Style - PSY
I hated this song at first, but of course like with many other people, it really grew on me. I like that its upbeat and fun.

1. Skyfall- Adele
Love love love this song! The beat, the lyrics, everything. I recommend it to everyone if you havent heard it yet. Im sure you have though, as it was the theme for Skyfall!

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I wasn't a massive fan of 2012 in music, gotta say. I listened to even less radio than I usually do so am even more out-of-sorts on that front, but my annual 'listen to the 'best' albums of the year to try and discover new music' also turned out to be kinda disappointing. The songs that everyone seems to like ('Call Me Maybe', 'Gangnam Style', 'We are Young', 'Somebody that I Used to Know', 'Skyfall'...) I just didn't, for whatever reason. As well as this, like Nick I'm more of a whole-of-album kinda music listener and I didn't listen to all that many albums last year. So, without further ado, my top 5 songs. Number 1 is a clear winner, but the rest are all kinda good as well:

1: Fiona Apple - 'Hot Knife' (The Idler Wheel...) The best song from the best album of 2012. And yet it's completely different from anything else that's on it. It's refreshingly up-beat, with the looped vocals and pounding percussion complimenting Apple's husk of a voice and piano perfectly. This is the song I've listened to the most this year, and with good reason.

2: Jack White - 'Love Interruption' (Blunderbuss) I'll admit it, I heard this song on a commercial and fell in love. I listened to the whole of the album and liked it, but it's always this song that I keep coming back to. I love the playfulness of White and his unidentified female vocalist; I like the way the melody slinks and changes over the course of the song, and I just love his voice in that context.

3: Naughty Boy ft. Emili Sandé - 'Wonder' (N/A) Another commercial song, actually. You couldn't go to a cinema in 2012 without hearing this song in a HTC advert. But it's a good thing I did, as I probably wouldn't have found it otherwise; everything else about Sandé I'm not a fan of, but this off-album gem is just a delight to listen to.

4: fun. - 'Some Nights' (Some Nights) This song reeeeeeeally shouldn't work as well as it does. It's autotuned to death, Nate Ruess' attempts to ape Freddie Mercury with those high-notes don't always pay off, and the end is kinda ehhhh, but it's compellingly listenable. And given how much I disliked 'We are Young' and thought 'Carry On' was OK at best, this is the biggest music surprise of my year. I think it's the percussion that does it for me; those drums are absolutely relentless, and it helps to ground a song that could easily be in its own stratosphere if not for that tempering. But those first 20 a capella seconds never fail to bring shivers down my spine.

5: Usher - 'Climax' (Looking 4 Myself) This one was a late-comer to this list, but it's definitely my favourite Usher song since 'Yeah' even though it's stylistically different from anything he's done so far. If you haven't heard it and want to be surprised by his vocal chops, take a listen.

Years
These are based on my opinions ad musical preferences only, I doubt a lot of people will agree. KWhat a strange compilation of songs....

5. Blow Me (One Last Kiss) - Pink
Pink just performs this song so well, the chorus is catchy and when you listen to it you really get where she's coming from.

4. One More Night - Maroon 5
I've always loved Maroon 5 and this song just combines meaningfulness and catchyness perfectly.

3. Dead Bite by Hollywood Undead
This song is brilliantly edgy. The lyrics are clever, the rapping is spot on and Danny's vocals in this song actually seem to ooze hatred (which is good in this song).

2. Lost In The Echo - Linkin Park
Very emotional (the music video is brilliant also) and so well done. Perfect vocals and moving music that meshes together into one hell of a finished product. It does also help that I'm a massive Linkin Park fan.

1. Burn it Down - Linkin Park
Apart from being a huge fan as already stated I love the "ragey" feel it has and the powerful vocals.

Sorry for my terrible explanations my writing is terrible today.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
2012 radio music has been spectacularly mediocre with some really good stuff dying relatively quickly and some simply awful stuff surviving for ages, as per usual. Of course it's turned out a few little gems, but overall, meh. Not very impressed. And honestly outside of that I've... not found a huge amount noteworthy either. Although, in fairness, I've been actually looking for new music much less this year than previous ones. Also, a lot of the songs I would have put in here have turned out to be singles released after their respective 2011 albums were released so... no.

1: Noctourniquet - The Mars Volta
Album: Noctourniquet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjk_RFfGuNc

This was my album of the year and song of the year because wow. If you've not really branched out much in music then you probably won't like this - and I'd say that this is one of their most accessible tracks so just don't try if you don't like this lol. But if you do like this then... you'll like this like dayum. For someone like me who it 'just works' for, it's an absolute masterpiece and honestly I'd change nothing about it. I find it hard to explain why I like it or what's so perfect about it tbh. It just... is. Worth a listen for the sake of interest at least.

2: One Big Moment - Orbital
Album: Wonky

For some reason I can't find a non-live video for this on YouTube and I can't be bothered to go dig one out elsewhere. However, this is the opening track from what I'd say is definitely also my album of the year - and it damn well deserves it. This song's probably gonna be very 'love it or hate it' with most people, understandably. If you appreciate this kinda thing it's a really warm, deep piece of music that's just perfect in so many ways like dayum. It'll send shivers down your spine and make you wonder where Orbital has been all your life and why you've not yet made babies with them. It'll make you want to get absolutely off your face and go rave in a warehouse somewhere even if it's only you and your iPod speakers. Annnnd if you don't, it's a load of annoying beeps. Go decide for yourself! Incidentally, I could fill up this whole post from tracks from this album lol. Also, I originally wrote this description with this song as #1 but Noctourniquet bumped it down to #2 and I didn't wanna re-write it lol.

3: Tesselate - alt-J (∆)
Album: An Awesome Wave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg6BwvDcANg

If you're listening to this song while not high, then why the hell not?! In fairness I'm therefore doing it wrong right now but STILL. It's just so... aaaaa idk. Relaxing but not slow and boring when you want some actual listening material which not many people can pull off quite right, but alt-J did it perfectly with this one. From an exceptional album too which I'd really recommend you check out if you like this track.

4: Au Seve - Julio Bashmore
Album: Au Seve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnigNbYVQJE

More 'love it or hate it' here! Horray! Don't know how to describe this other than IT'S AMAZING AT PARTIES and it's just good in general. Pretty unique too as far as mainstream success goes.

5: Steve McQueen - M83
Album: Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Iqskd_Vq8

If this song doesn't give you shivers then you're doing it wrong. Absolutely explosive without being obnoxiously loud or anything like that and yeah, just generally really enjoyable. Only reason why it's down here, though, is because it's annoying in higher doses i.e. doesn't have spectacular replay value for people like me who can hack that sorta thing. But it's still absolutely incredible in small doses.

As for honourable mentions, I can come up with a few.

6: Feel The Love - Rudimental ft. John Newman
Album: Feel The Love

7: Motion Sickness - Hot Chip
Album: In Our Heads

8: October - deadmau5
Album: >album title goes here<

9: Sweater Weather - The Neighbourhood
Album: I'm sorry...

10: 1991 - Azealia Banks
Album: 1991 EP

annnnnnd that's all I have time for right now! :D

Overall, yeah, 2012 was a bit meh. 2011 gave birth to some of my favourite stuff ever and not much has really come close this year other than probably One Big Moment and much of that album but... meh. I'm happy enough I guess!

edit: I FORGOT NOCTOURNIQUET WAS RELEASED IN 2012 OMFG FIXING THIS

Last edited:

Kotetsu-kun

Unova League Rival
Years
1. Psy - Gangnam Style: Just love it. However, I also liked the HYUNA version more because it is sexy.
2. Carly Rae.Jepsen - Call Me Maybe: Catchy and was number one for more weeks than any song.in the Top 40 charts.
3. 2NE1 - I Love You: Nice K-Pop song and it's really fun to dance
4. Momoiro Clover Z - Mitemite Kochicchi: Fun to dance and it is the ending.of BW season 2 (until Episode N)
5. Flo-Rida - Good Feeling: The song was very catchy. Period. Not to mention the Avicii sample

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I don't think I'll make it to five lmao, I didn't really like many songs from 2012 :x Nobody laugh at my music taste okay D<

1. Hall of Fame - The Script
Such an emotional and amazing song honestly. Something about the lyrics, the tune, and even the music video is just so amazing I can't get enough of it.

2. Starships - Nicki Minaj
Okay normally I don't like her songs but this was an exception! Starships is just such a positive song, and although the lyrics are kind of questionable, it has an addictive and amazing chorus and during the year it lifted my mood at times when it was down just because it sounded so amazing.

3. Gangnam Style - Psy
I liked it because it was addictive :3 Well, that and it made me think of Big Brother and I fully embraced enjoying Big Brother this year!!

4. Give your heart a break - Demi Lovato
According to Youtube it's 2012, so woo. Originally I heard it on Glee and I didn't think much about who originally sang it and didn't pay much attention to it honestly. But then I heard the original, and it sounded so pretty :3

5. Call Me Maybe - Carly Jepson
I disliked this song at first but it became appealing and Glee helped it become appealing... yeah idk I like it now okay. :(

Yeah I had to think about this, Hall of Fame was all that came to mind originally lmaoo.

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
:|||||||||||||||||||||

1. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - Ten Thousand Hours
Motivational and awesome, great track on a great album.

2. Pyramids - Frank Ocean
Amazing song.

3. Set the Tone - Logic
Sick lyricism from a fantastic mixtape

4. The City - Madeon
Great blend of vocals with Madeon's music to create a great song.

5. Sam Lachow & Raz - The Introduction
Great track from an amazing EP.

There are so many though, "best pop song" would probably go to Some Nights, it was a nice break from the stuff you normally hear.

Matty Mayhem

Matty :3
Years
I love how some people are adding Mars Volta to their list. :) Anyways, here is my top 5 songs of 2012.

1. Between the Buried and Me - Telos
This is just perfection.. words can't describe it. I HIGHLY recommend that you listen to this, no matter who you are.

2. Bermuda - Intuitions
Well, you got a bonecrushingly heavy riff right off the bat, blast beats that kick in at just the right time, and a djenty riff to follow. Pure ear candy.

3. The Safety Fire - Huge Hammers
Well, I like to listen to metal, haha. This band reminds me a lot of Periphery, and the riffs in this song are just so amazing, catchy, and memorable. Also, all the pinch harmonics in this song just sound bad ass!

4. Exotic Animal Petting Zoo - Thorough.Modern
If you like experimental mathcore, this is for you. Many people I know don't venture into genres like these, but I think it can be enjoyable for people that normally don't listen to mathcore.

5. The Mars Volta - Aegis
A phenomenal song, almost reminds me of being in some sort of dream-like trance when I listen to it.

BeausaHD

The Beau In HD
Years
My 5 would be:
5. Gangnam Style- It has to be on the list.
4. Will.i.am ft Britney Spears- Scream and Shout
3. Skrillex and Damian Marley- Make it bun 'em- I mean seriously, its in a Far Cry 3 mission.
2. Call Me Maybe- I know this is a bad choice but it is really catchy :L
1. Adele- Skyfall- I hate Adele but its the James Bond song so the U.K. is obviously obsessed with it.

Years
Hall of Fame and Make It Bun Dem were both very good songs of the year :) (Which is saying something because I hate Skrillex)
This would be so much easier if we had gone by Genre XD

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
It's hard to pick just a top 5 for me. There were alot of good songs that I really liked this year since I discovered a bunch of new artists. So here's some honorable mentions first.

10. PSY - Gangnam Style
9.Little Talks - Of Monsters and Men
8.Good Time - Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen'
7.Some Nights- fun.
6.Touch This Light - House of Heroes

5. Ho Hey - The Lumineers
As Sydian mentioned, this song just really makes you want to dance in a meadow or something. In general it's a song that gets me going and it's easy to sing along to. While I can't say about their full album, but from this song I can tell it's got lots of potential.
4. Take a Walk/Carried- Passion Pit
Talk a Walk and Carried Away are in a two way tie cause I love them both equally and it's hard to decide which one to put on the list. Take a Walk has kind of become my theme song for when I go walking now. Lol. I've liked Passion Pit before hearing this song, but this song, heck their whole new album, made love them even more. Gossamer is one of my favorite albums of 2012 and I would recommend it to people. Carried Away ties with Take a Walk cause it's just plain infectious. A very upbeat song and it's definitely one of the best off the album cause it' full of energy.
3. We Come Running – Youngbloode Hawke
Another song just full of energy. I actually downloaded it for free when iTunes was offering it as their Free Single of the Week one time. Didn't realize it wold get popular cause now I hear on the radio all the time. It's one of those that get in my head a lot cause it's so catchy, in particular the chorus is .
2.On Top of the World– Imagine Dragons
I have to agree with a lot of people when they say Imagine Dragon's debut album, Night Visions is one of the best, if not the best, albums of 2012. Every song is an adventure and just of surprises. This one in particular is extremely infectious. The hand claps and the bass just really get me dancing and makes the song very catchy. Whenever I hear it I can't help clap along. There's too many good Imagine Dragon songs that would also be in my top 15 and 20, though this song stands out the most for me. After that I say would be "Radioactive" for the big drum beat that pulls me in and "Demons" just because of how powerful it is and how much emotion is put into it.
1.Shooting Star – Owl City
As most people on here know, I'm a huge Owl City fan and a huge fan of Adam Young's music in general so I had to put this somewhere on my list. And it happens to be number one. Not just because it's Owl City, but because I just love it so much. This may be the unpopular opinion but I really love Shooting Star more than Good Time out of his newest album. Back in May, he released an EP called Shooting Star, which had four songs that were going to be on his new album, which is now known as The Midsummer Station and obviously Shooting Star was on it. At first I didn't like or anything on his new EP much because they were completely different than his usual style. They seem like such a big shift from his normal dreamy and whimsical synthpop that he put out on previous records. The lyrics weren't was witty and deep and so they didn't really much of an impression on me. This one I liked a bit from the Shooting Star EP along with Dementia cause they somewhat still had a touch of his old stuff. So I downloaded those two off iTunes. Eventually after multiple listens the entire Ep grew on, but this one in particular grew on me the most. I think the fact that it was originally written for Ocean Eyes but didn't make the cut was part of the reason for that. Though most, I just love the lyrics more than the ones on Good Time. They have much a greater meaning than I earlier realized. Saying that even on your darkest days , there's always a light at the end of the tunnel. You need to keep your eyes focused on the prize and you can see brighter days ahead. It can also have a hidden religious meaning like several Owl City songs do about how Christ is the light of the world that brightens up our darkest day and lead people to him. (Adam said this himself on a radio station I listen called Air1 that plays Shooting Star occasionally. My faith is pretty big for me so that part just really hits home. No matter if you interpret it like that, it's still one of my biggest reasons this song grew on me. And eventually every song on The Midsummer Station has been progressively getting better. Particularly this, "Silhouette", "Dementia" and "Embers" are my favorites. It's not his best work, but it's still pretty good and pretty refreshing for more pop-like music. I'm digressing though, the song is the best cause of the reasons above.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
1,400th post!!!

First for some honourable mentions.
  • PSY: Gangnam Style. This song is just great and catchy, with a unique beat and a maddenly great dance. A great introduction to K-Pop to the mainstream.
  • Usher: Scream. Usher has always been at his best when he makes dance songs, and this song is just basically a good version Scream and Shout by will.i.am.
  • will.i.am featuring Eva Simmons: This Is Love. Speaking of will.i.am, this song is pretty good. Eva Simmons has a nice voice, plus will.i.am actually has some decent vocals.
  • The Script featuring will.i.am: Hall of Fame. I was expecting to hate this song as a huge sell out for The Script, but somehow they managed to pull this song off. will.i.am's vocals work well, and the overall message of the song is very uplifting.
  • Flo Rida featuring Sia: Wild Ones. Sia has a fantasic voice, plus the beat is quite fast paced and incorporates a piano well. Flo Rida isn't that bad in this as well.

No. 5: Ellie Goulding: Anything Could Happen.
Ellie was one of my favourite new artist, however Halcyon was quite different from her previous work. This song was a highlight from her album, and features a great, uplifting beat and relaxing tone and message.

No. 4: Zedd featuring Matthew Koma: Spectrum
Easily one of the more unique songs this year, as it features both a house breakdown and a dubstep breakdown. Couple that with Koma's excellent vocals, and you get one of the best EDM songs of the year.

No. 3: Deadmau5 featuring Imogen Heap: Telemiscommunications
<album title goes here> was a rather divisive album, especially the hip-hop track Failbait, however I enjoyed it. My pick from it is this song, which is set in a phone call towards someone. The production is minimalistic and relaxing, and Imogen's vocals are just as good as she was in the equally majestic Hide and Seek.

No. 2: Calvin Harris: Feel So Close
I'm cheating here; this song was released in 2011, but only became popular this year. It's a unique song with it's use of the piano and electronic guitar. But the vocals by Calvin himself just win the song over. It was a shame that 18 months only featured his vocals on one other song, that being Iron. I should also mention that Benny Bennasi and Dillon Francis remixes of this song are great as well.

No. 1: David Guetta featuring Taped Rai: Just One Last Time
I was planning to put Titanium on the list, but then I heard this. Taped Rai's vocals fit better than Sia's and don't get overpowered by Guetta's loud beat. The song sounds great and the song is surprising uplifting as well as quite soothing as well, and even a bit nostalgic.

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
I'm just going to list out my top 5 songs last year with short descriptions because writing an essay based on -one- song is hard and I'm lazy as all hell. :3

1. Sing About Me, I'm Dying Of Thirst by Kendrick Lamar - The first time I listened to this juggernaut of a song, I was floored. I immediately regarded it as the best song of 2012. It still is.

2. Lost by Frank Ocean - There were other more technically complex songs in Channel Orange, but this one was simple, sweet, almost melancholic in a way. I didn't care for it the first listen-to, but it was a grower.

3. The Fever (Aye Aye) by Death Grips - This was Death Grips' year. Definitely. The Fever was my absolute favourite track from their album The Money Store.

4. 212 by Azealia Banks - Fun, catchy, colourful. What can I say?

5. Kenaston by Chilly Gonzales - Solo Piano II was a great album, but this track left a mark on my mind. Gives me the chilks everytime.

---

Special mentions to Play by Kin, Feels Like We Only Go Backwards by Tame Impala, Valentine by Fiona Apple, Climax by Usher, and of course, Gangnam Style by PSY.

Shiny Bidoof

On fire
Years
  • Age 32
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jun 14, 2013
Wow! A lot of Noctourniquet love here. I don't blame you guys, it was a fantastic album.

1. The Homecoming by Coheed and Cambria.
It was just a little acoustic track from the bonus CD. it didn't even make it onto the album, but there's so much emotion packed into it that it outshines even the album's singles.

2. Empty Vessels make the Loudest Sound by The Mars Volta
Clearly the standout for me. It gives me chills every time.

3. How We End up Alone by Hurt
the single for their 2012 album The Crux didn't disappointing. It was emotional, heavy, and catchy. The video is also fantastic.

4. Do ya Thang by The Gorillaz, Andre 3000, and James Murphy
What can I say? It has a little something for everyone. Andre 3000 tears the track up too.

5. I'm Real by Kendrick Lamar
Fantastic rap song. Unique sound, great lyrics and meaning, and some interesting voicemail messages from Kendrick's parents.

Honorable mention: Stay by Blue October
Released late 2011, but still a 2012 song for me. One of the best songs Blue October has ever recorded.

Back