• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I want to Start Collecting

Years
Hello there, so basically, I'm very into the pokemon games, I've been playing them a lot lately. But I started to get an interest in TCG. I remember when I was Younger I used to Collect the old EX cards, I stopped for some reason, but this was years ago, when I was 8 maybe :/

Well, first of all I don't know how to begin, I also want to make decks to play in friendly Matches or Tournaments. I don't have any cards at the moment, but I plan to buy them very soon.

Should I just buy a Theme Deck, or buy a crap load of Booster Packs or Tins, or Boxes or yeah LOL

Please leave replies, and thank you for reading :D

TrainerTori

Growlithe Fan
Years
Well if you're planning to buy your cards from the store, know that modern booster packs don't currently come with energies, so unless you buy a lot of them online, booster packs won't get you very far as far as deck building.

I bought two theme decks to play with a friend and it worked really well for us :D
And then I've been picking up boosters and singles to "fill holes"

I'm still quite a newbie myself though, so I'm not expert opinion

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
Hello Pikadav ! Firstly if you wish to play in tournaments, you need to decide what deck you wish to run ! Shortly the meta-game will change (meta game being what is most frequently played or used in tournaments) due to Plasma Storm being released very soon.
I would advise that you invest in single cards such as good Supporters such as "Skyla", "N","Professor Juniper" and "Cheren" since they are the core of any deck.
If you wish to buy booster packs instead, Dark Explorers is a great set to purchase since it includes 3 of those 4 already and you can get good EXs from it.
Boundaries Crossed and Dragon's Vault are great sets too, however you can purchase collector tins such as "Darkai EX, Mewtwo EX and Rayquaza EX". These ALL see play in the current format.
In terms of collecting, it is up to you what sets that you wish to start from. You could go from base Set all the way up to Black and White.
If you need any advice on building a deck, you can have a look at what decks are posted already in the "TCG Deck Review" section or ask myself/others about strategies or current decks already in this format.

Back