• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which era of music was truly the best?

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
In recent decades, music has undergone changes, from the '60s rock and blues, to the '70s funk, smooth jazz, soul, and Euro rock, to the '80s post-disco, contemporary, and dance pop, to the '90s hip hop, rap, and contemporary R&B and much more! Which of these eras/generations do you think truly defined music and/or were the best of the best?

Matty Mayhem

Matty :3
Years
Honestly, I'd have to say I love the music that's coming out right now. Ever since 2010, I think that progressive metal has been growing and a lot more musicians are taking interest in it. Tons and tons of new prog metal bands are coming out, and there's always going to be new acts that take the spotlight.

droomph

weeb
Years
All of the music.

Every song has their own little catch to it, which makes it interesting. Whether it be static noise, or classical music, it's all very good music. You just have to appreciate it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I like the music my parents grew up with in the 70's and 80's. It was more original back then and just more enjoyable for me. 90's was a good era also though, so I'd say 70s-90's had the best.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
Well music is always changing. I don't think one era can define music as a whole. As for what's the best of the best, I've been immersed in music from the 90s and on, so I've gotten to experience all the different styles and stuff, and, albeit biased, I think this era's been better than the rest.

Years
All of the music.

Every song has their own little catch to it, which makes it interesting. Whether it be static noise, or classical music, it's all very good music. You just have to appreciate it.

I agree with droomph. But personally, I like the songs of the 80's-90's. I'm probably just saying that because I'm a huge fan of Michael Jackson. :x

Years
Probably today, right now because we've got all of the history of music as an influence and every day there are more people making more music.

Although I think the 60s brought a big change in music with rock music coming into being in a way that hadn't before. I think very few people listen to popular music before the 60s, but almost everyone knows at least one song from the 60s.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
For me, what really got me into music was the 80's Thrash Scene ("the 4 horsemen" - Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax),

I also love the 80's Rock/Metal era (when Dio, Twisted Sister, Ozzy Osbourne, Quiet Riot, W.A.S.P.) were at their best, releasing great rock anthem. I wish I was teen during that decade, Mid to late 80's (between 1983 and 1989)

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Although the '80s is notoriously an era of massive hits and even bigger flops, I tend to love the '80s as my favorite past era of music. It was back when Madonna was sexy as well as intelligent, rather than trying to remain sexy and relevant through the use of controversial images/quotes/what not. Seriously, Madonna? A swastika on the screen at a concert in Israel? Truly desperate, shameful, a very rude adjective, goodbye forever. It was also the generation when I feel artists took the fun of the '70s (e.g: Donna Summer) and expanded on it, making it not only fun, but quirky, interesting, almost loony. I think everyone has a soft spot for '80s one hit wonders too! Take on Me, 99 Luft Balloons, Mickey, Tainted Love, The Safety Dance and god knows how many more. If you don't have at least one favorite '80s one hit wonder... I don't know if I'll go to your funeral when you die.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
IMO, I love the 1950's till early 2000's.

Starting with Elvis and ending when rap was beginning to become the mainstream garbage it is now.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
For me it was was definitely the 80's into the early 90's. With artists like Boston, Bon Jovi and Dire Straits in their prime and album after album of pure gold being released, the 80's was a truly revolutionary period for new music and provided so many new styles for modern artists to work with. Bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden were redefining genres with their unique takes on the common rock music at the time and even the most memorable pop hits of the time have made a real contribution to music today, so in my opinion this era was certainly amongst the best. I just wish I could've been alive to witness it!

Back