• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Main Games or Spin Off's?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 26, 2021

Do you prefer the main games to a franchise or if it has anyspin off games do you tend to prefer those more than the main games?

Schwan

Frontier Brain
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 2, 2016
I love Conquest and Mystery Dungeon, but I love the stories in the main series games more.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I only played the main games, not the spin offs. Uhm.. Does Pokemon Stadium 1-2 and Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD counts as spin offs?

Mr. Magius

  
Years
For me, spin-offs can make me view the main games in a new light.. like for a pretty generic example, the Mystery Dungeon or Ranger series, or even Colosseum and XD are completely different concepts but give me a new outlook on the whole Pokémon world. Spin-offs are pretty important into providing players with new canon and expanding on their creation.

As for what I prefer... I would say I prefer the main games because they give us players most of the main content for what the spin-offs are based on. The main games are the main dish and the spin-offs are the dessert (lol)
But if I had to choose between getting games in Pokémon's main line of games and their Colosseum and XD line of games then I'm all for the latter!

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Pokemon is the only series where I prefer the spin offs but that's only because of Colosseum and XD.

Other games? Not at all, because they're usually mediocre at best. Wario Land is the best example of that. (Just to clarify this has nothing to do with Warioware, which I like.)

I guess I DO like Uncharted: Golden Abyss. And Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

Years
I agree with what Magius pointed out.

Spin-off games would not even exist without the main games or go anywhere if the main game(s) are/isn't popular. Pokemon is an excellent example of this, the main games are fun, popular and if that wasn't the case I would never even of considered playing the spin-offs, which were brilliant.

Sometimes, though, I find the spin-offs a lot more enjoyable than the main game(s) especially if the main is repetitive; which I can use Pokemon as an example of again. The main games are a lot of the same, and repetitive, I actually enjoy Ranger and Mystery Dungeons more than some of the main games.

Overall, It's always gonna be different. Although, the main games tend to be better since more time is put into them than spin-offs. I see spin-offs sometimes as ways to encourage and motivate people to play the main games.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I'm pretty sure in most cases, people enjoy the main series more. It's kinda hard to put spin-off's together in one category, because they usually branch into so many games that can be so different from each other, and while you may love some of them, you may also had others. That can be applied to main series games as well, but in cases like Pokemon (which is pretty much what most people are gonna use in this case since it's the most notable series of games which is split up into main games and spin-off's, at least for my knowledge), they're usually very alike, following the same concept, and mostly seperated by graphics, game mechanics and storyline, while a lot of the spin-off's are completely different. I prefer the main series games as a group, since there are quite a few spin-off's that I never really liked, which isn't the case with the main games.

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
Haha, aside form Trozei, I adore every game in the series.
The spin-offs all have merit, in their own ways.

Back