• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Prototype

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hey there Danny E-33,

I've always struggled with the idea of making Trade Pokemon evolve at certain levels since it's arbitrary and dependent on the hacker.
Would you consider using "Trade Stone" items instead, or is the decision final?
That way, like a trade, the player can decide when to level the Pokemon.
Hmm. I understand what you mean with "the player can decide when to level" but I really don't like the idea of a "trade stone". I like the elemental stones and feel like making something up called a trade stone does the rest of the stones a disservice. I have considered making two new stones, one for Haunter and Kadabra called Mind Stone or Ghost Stone or something and another one for Graveler and Machoke called Earth Stone or Fist Stone or something.

Frankly, making them evolve by level is much easier. I have absolutely no idea how to make a new item and properly configure its use.

80C

"This is a text filler!"
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2022
Greatest graphics in GenI I ever saw!!
Keep it working on it, it's amazing!

80C

"This is a text filler!"
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2022
I have 2 question about your hack:

1- I knew you was talking to repoint the palette table in order to have more free space... so I guess you're going to add\use new palettes.
Will the new palettes be used for other graphics Or eventually for Pokemon to make each one have his own palette?

2- Did you planned to color also overworlds?
I heard of a hack that makes the overworlds colored (GSC style).

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I knew you was talking to repoint the palette table in order to have more free space... so I guess you're going to add\use new palettes.
Will the new palettes be used for other graphics Or eventually for Pokemon to make each one have his own palette?
Good question. So yes, you and I have talked about how the palette table has been moved to another bank since it took up all the free space in its original bank and could have no more palettes added to it.
When I ran out of free space, this caused me to have to make lots of Pokémon share palettes and some of the palette-sharing is a bit of a stretch and a few Pokémon, such as Raichu, look just far off enough that it's noticeable.

With the table in a different bank with plenty of space, I am giving every Pokémon its own palette id, even for palettes that are identical, just so everything is customize-able and nothing is hard coded. Same thing with the trainer palettes. Some of the trainer palettes in the current version are an even further stretch than Raichu. I will give each trainer their own palette id so that it can be 100% accurate to the GSC sprites.

All this brings me to palette id EA. So I have 21 palettes open (from EB to FF).
One of those palettes has to be the back sprite palette for Ivysaur/Venusaur. I will probably just make that one palette, rather than giving each of then a separate back sprite palette.
And I plan on adding 17 new Pokémon which will each get their own palette.
Which leaves me with 3 palettes left until I come up with a use for them.

For your hack, you are better off using the version of the Graphics Patch that you have instead of the next version that will be out that will give each Pokémon their own palette. You should stick with the condensed palette table so you have all the room for new palettes for your expanded Pokédex.

Did you planned to color also overworlds?
I heard of a hack that makes the overworlds colored (GSC style).
That is more like a distant dream at the moment. As you probably know, FroggestSpirit began working on this but he quit. I was gonna try to pick it up myself but I couldn't understand any of his notes and he had forgotten too much of it to explain it to me. :/

The hack you've heard of is either FroggestSpirit's "Red in Color" or KBM's "Scratch-Coded Red".
Neither of which are finished.

Last edited:

80C

"This is a text filler!"
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2022
Yes! I like the idea to put new Pokemon in the hack, so will be there some of the 4th gen evolutions, like electivire and so on? I would like it!

Yes, I'll continue hacking upon the original Gen2 Patch v1.0, It fits good, anyway, I didn't noticed of Raichu, maybe I'll could add a new palette for him... actually I need to put 48 new palettes in my hack... the sharing palette system you created in the ver1.0 is ok for me, and I'll try to share more palettes as possible (like Bellsprout-larvitar etc.) so I could put all the pokemon I need (79)...

but I'm a bit confused with the max allowed of new palettes... you used C8 -circa, I don't remember now- palettes, this means that from C8 or whatever to FF I have avaiable 53 palettes, 48 won't go too far I think, but you said I could add something like 100 new palettes instead of 53... is it right or I did wrong calculations?

EDIT:
I noticed of Zubat and Golbat palette of GS, I remembered that palette was funky, is it used for other pokemon that aren't zubat or Golbat? Because I plan to change that palette to make it like the Crystal one, that is more accurate.

Last edited:

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Where are you getting 0xC8 palettes from???
The current version of the graphics patch you have only goes up to palette id 0x8B, so including id 00 there are 0x8C (140) palettes total out of a possible 0x100 (256).
So you have 0x100-0x8C (256-140) palettes remaining which equals 0x74 (116).
I said all this already
Yes! I like the idea to put new Pokemon in the hack, so will be there some of the 4th gen evolutions, like electivire and so on? I would like it!

There will be these gen IV evolutions:
xMEzOxJ.png

and these gen II evolutions: Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Crobat, Bellossom, Politoed, Slowking, Steelix, Tyrogue, Hitmontop, Blissey, Kingdra, Scizor, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Espeon, Umbreon, and Porygon2.

I noticed of Zubat and Golbat palette of GS, I remembered that palette was funky, is it used for other pokemon that aren't zubat or Golbat? Because I plan to change that palette to make it like the Crystal one, that is more accurate.
Please read this. (do keep in mind this is for Prototype and not the Graphics Patch so there are a few replacements that are mentioned in the first post of this thread, but this list is still useful)
As you can see, I took sprites and palettes from gold, silver AND CRYSTAL. Obviously, if the GS palette looks goofy, I didn't use it. If you even bothered to check my graphics patch that you downloaded, you would see Zubat and Golbat have the palettes from Crystal.
And if you're still curious, Zubat and Golbat share a palette with Poliwhirl and Poliwrath.

Last edited:

80C

"This is a text filler!"
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2022
Oh sorry, I took note wrongly of the palettes I have left, I exchanged the two hexnumbers between them, so I wrote C8 instead of 8C... ha, ok, so I have 115 palettes left (now 113, I added 2 Pokemon), so I could add new pokemon too (most of 2nd and 4th generation, but also 1 from 6th gen and 4 from 3rd Gen!)

I discovered the palette(s) I wanted use aren't from crystal but are RSE-like, so I guess I have to add 2 extra palettes, 1 for zubat and 1 for golbat.

PS: Could I use the sprites for Magmortar, Tangrowht, Magnezone & Porygon2?

PPS: A "Trade Stone" would safe more space in the ROM rather than create a special stone for each TradeEvolutive Pokemon, I'll take the "TradeStone" way and then special objects for the other 2nd and 4th Gen pokemon (upgrade, metalcoat etc.)

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Oh sorry, I took note wrongly of the palettes I have left, I exchanged the two hexnumbers between them, so I wrote C8 instead of 8C... ha, ok, so I have 115 palettes left (now 113, I added 2 Pokemon), so I could add new pokemon too (most of 2nd and 4th generation, but also 1 from 6th gen and 4 from 3rd Gen!)

PPS: A "Trade Stone" would safe more space in the ROM rather than create a special stone for each TradeEvolutive Pokemon, I'll take the "TradeStone" way and then special objects for the other 2nd and 4th Gen pokemon (upgrade, metalcoat etc.)
Great for you, but remember this is my hack's thread. ;)

Could I use the sprites for Magmortar, Rhyperior, Magnezone & Porygon2?
Yes, all the appropriate credits for the sprites can be found here.

Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2013
cant wait to make a lets play of this beta, If any one wants me to do a lets play of their hack I would be honored to. Im Basically asking everyone If I can demo their hacks and post it to my channel, I will give credit to the creators and quote these pages ;)

LudiciumGaming

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Here's what I accomplished today:

2SLHXUR.png

Thanks to FroggestSpirit for helping me get "Presents" to be displayed like the original Red and Green.
And thanks to Sanqui for helping me change "Game Freak" to "Danny-E 33".

Last edited:

80C

"This is a text filler!"
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2022
Wow... how did you assigned the palette to the new "Nintendo\Danny-E 33" logo?
Was it there already or you had to add a new one and then insert a new routine\asm?

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
That's actually the default palette that the Game Freak logo uses. But the original logo only uses two colours: white and the darker brownish colour. I just used a sprite that also uses the lighter brownish colour and black.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Looking good! I take it you disabled the pokemon scrolling, right?

By the way, have you thought of adding a sound effect for Mewtwo's cry to be played before getting out of the title screen? Accomplishing that shouldn't be too hard if you feel like doing it.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Looking good!
Thanks!
I take it you disabled the pokemon scrolling, right?
Actually, I still have the Pokemon scroll, they just stop in the center. And now each new Pokemon loads its palette when it scrolls onto the screen.
By the way, have you thought of adding a sound effect for Mewtwo's cry to be played before getting out of the title screen? Accomplishing that shouldn't be too hard if you feel like doing it.
In Red, the cry of the Pokemon currently being shown is automatically played, so as long as Mewtwo is on screen, that's already the case. :p

Back