• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ew! It's a girl.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Unless it's a Pokémon that makes sense or looks like it should be a girl, I really don't like female Pokémon. All of my teams in all of my Pokémon games that I have now are all male. The gender of a Pokémon matters more to me than its nature, in all honesty. If I am hunting for a particular Pokémon that's hard to find, and I come across a female, I usually run away and keep looking. I guess I'm a bit of a Pokémon sexist.

Does the gender of a Pokémon matter to you as much as it does to me?

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
I'm somewhat of a Poke-sexist. Unless the Pokemon is STAUNCHLY masculine (Machamp, Conkeldurr, etc.) I'd usually like to use a female. Even female Tyranitar, Aggron, and Steelix are fine. But for Pokemon like those it usually doesn't matter either way. When it comes to feminine Pokemon, it MUST be female, no exception. No male Skitty, Lopunny, Clefairy, etc. Right now I'm building an Eeveelution team and I won't use an Eevee unless it's female. It's just a weird preference, since I like Pokemon more for aesthetics than I do competitive battle :P

Years
I Agree, I like female pokemons over male, it's just like i get more attached to the females than males, for exampel machamp like mentioned before, that must be a male but if i got a male milotic, i would probably not use it at all

Sirfetch’d

Gender doesn't really matter to me unless it looks gender specific, then it must be for me to catch it, or if I have a nickname planned, then I must match the correct gender. Otherwise, idc.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Ew! It's a Nick.

I used to be very picky about genders, to the point where when planning teams, I would plan genders and search for a Pokemon of that specific gender. Nowadays, I don't mind the gender at all unless it's a Pokemon that needs to be a certain gender for evolution purposes. I also prefer to soft reset for female starters and Eevee. Other than that, I don't mind male Gardevoir or female Machamp or female Mr. Mime. In fact, I find them funny. I actually prefer having a half and half team of males and females, though I don't go out of my way to get my team to be that way. I take what I get the first time and if my team ends up half male and half female, I think it looks nicer. It's more aesthetically pleasing to have half and half or all one of the same, imo. But like I said, not going out of my way to make sure it's half and half, lol.

There is actually a challenge I made that relies heavily on gender of Pokemon and such called Gender Discrimination Challenge. It's pretty fun and I'm doing it for a second time on Ruby as a male. Y'all should check it out some time!

Last edited:
Years
Ahaha, I used to prefer all males. The female symbol + its color bothered me immensely and I tried to catch only male Pokemon, unless it was a Pokemon that I felt looked feminine (Espeon among others). Nowadays I prefer females.. my main B2 team are all girls except for Serperior. For some reason I started preferring female Pokemon and tried to catch females if I can. Not sure why the sudden change but yeah.

Callīope1

█ uranianUmbra
Years
Yeeeahhh, my teams are usually all male, unless I'm looking for a Pokemon that looks female. If that makes sense. Some Pokemon look more female, so I do try to get female versions of them. However, sometimes it's fun to find like.. a Vulpix, and make sure it's a dude. xD

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
In a way Yes and No.
No, when I catch a Pokemon I really want in my team, I don't focus on ability/stats/gender at first - I will make every possible effort to catch it then......
Yes, once its caught, I look at it's gender and decide on a nickname appropriate to its species, type, and gender

So many of my game's Pokemon gender isn't really organized. I could have one game with 3 are male and the other female, I may have a game where 5 are female and 1 male, or I could have a team that is all male or all female...... my only exceptions:

Nicknames, I'm ready to give my Pokemon nicknames, that's gender plays a huge role - I don't want to give a female Pokemon a male nickname - this applies mostly to Pokemon in my PC Box, as in all games - my 4 main Pokemon already have a nickname, I play with 4 or 5 Pokemon I like, the rest I'm willing giving a new Pokemon a try - I may like or I may not like them, I won't know until I try.

Breeding, obviously I need a male and a female,, I prefer the same species of Pokemon [for example - a male cat-like Pokemon to a female cat-like Pokemon as oppose to just a male and female Liepard]

• When I'm playing a specific challenge [for example my "All Mustelid Team" - "All Cat Team" or next planned one "All Water-Type Team" & "All Fighting-Type Team"], I plan out my team ahead of time, including gender because of their Nicknames.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I'm obsessed with filling my team with male Pokémon, but I realized it does more harm than good since it drives me nuts especially when searching for a rare Pokémon with a beneficial nature. In my next playthrough of any Pokémon game, I won't bother choosing genders. The gender of my main character is enough (and even I wouldn't mind to play as the girl if I had the pair of games for that generation).

After 4th gen, there are a few Pokémon with gender differences, and usually the males have bigger horns and more flashy features (think Unfezant), so I pick those. There are exceptions though, the female of Roserade is more beautiful than the male IMO.

I had a female Pidgeot on FireRed and she rocked BTW.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I'm sort of like that. I get OCD about my team's genders, and my team members always have to be the same gender as my starter, which usually turn out to be male. Exceptions are of course the genderless Pokemon.

Septentrion

Evilutionary biologist
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 13, 2023
You guys are all weird preferring whatever gender. I don't really prefer one gender to the other, but I do hate genderless Pokémon. I'm currently using two legendries in the hack I'm playing and I assigned them gender identities (one male and one female) because I don't like referring to my own Pokémon as "it".

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I try to maintain an even sexual distribution throughout my teams to keep the issue of Attract minimal.
I prefer some particular things to be a particular sex but it doesn't bother me much.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I have a thing with every team I make: The team must be comprised of exactly three males and three males, in order to give me the best shot possible at fighting Pokémon with Attract.

Other than that, I really don't care about gender. :<

Years
I used to often have all-female or female-dominant teams because I was trying to be like those in-game NPCs who have Pokemon corresponding to their own gender. As of Black that stopped, I now catch any gender but there are still certain Pokemon I prefer of a certain gender.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I'm more inclined to keep females in most cases because I feel like they're rarer even though most Pokemon are 50/50. It's mainly because of the odds of getting a female starter.

Years
Well, I can't see having Male Vulpix/Ninetales in my team. They always must be female, same goes usually with Espeon. For the rest, I don't care.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Well, come to think of it, IDC much about the gender business, but I do tend to try to take all male Pokémon if I'm male, and vice-versa. Unless of course, there's somebody who's genderless or a fixed gendertype.

SchwarzRozen

Sugary Delight
Years
Well most of the time I really don't mind that much with what gender the Pokemon is, especially when I was younger; even now it really doesn't matter thanks to ditto breeding. The only one pokemon it makes a diffrence is Combee and Gallade (maybe a few others?)

Although, I will happily keep my male gardevior and my female garadyos. n,n

Back