• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

The Slow Learner Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Congratulations to BlueShellBeast for being the first ever, Slow-Learner Graduate. I see you're going for your Associate's degree now. Best of luck. I decided to use education levels to mark progress.

1 Completed Challenge: Graduate
2 Completed Challenges: Associate
4 Completed Challenges: Bachelor
6 Completed Challenges: Master

These will run on completion of different regions. To get your Master, you need to do Black 2 or White 2 as well.

I've been pretty busy lately. But when my brother goes home this weekend, I'll definitely sit down and make some real progress... I promise...

Last edited:

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years
Update 2

Sorry for the delay, i'm doing several challenges at the same time at the moment.

• Beat all trainers on route 3
  • Entered Mt. Moon
  • Squirtle evolved into a Wartortle
  • Metapod evolved into a Butterfree
  • Collected the Helix fossil
  • Found the exit to Mt. Moon
  • Had a close battle with my rival and won
  • Pidgey evolved into Pidgeotto on nugget bridge
  • Beat the nugget bridge
  • Got the S.S Anna ticket from Bill
  • Nearly lost against Misty's Starmie but Wartortle managed to defeat it
Current Team
Spoiler:

New Catches
Spoiler:

Box
Spoiler:

Years
This is a very interesting challenge so I would also like to try!

Challenger: Joshbl56
Game: Yellow (Not sure if you have an objection to it since I didn't see anything)

*I started a new game and named myself DatGuy
*Named my rival Gary (for old times sake)
*Talked to Oak
*Received Pikachu (named it Pickle)
*Defeated Eevee

I will add more if I get to join this. If not then just ignore this ^.^' (sorry, I don't know how this works as this is my first time doing one of these challenges)

EDIT:
So, just in case I am doing this challenge, I will update this post

*Finished the whole Oak's Parcel
*Captured a few pokemon
*Started grinding for levels

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
Ninjagon's #1 Pokemon Fire Red Update

Obtained Badges: 1

Okay. This is my update. Not much. Will do A LOT more later. So for the whole game, i'll be using three pokemon; Dragonite, Charizard and Dugtrio. I'm hacking in a Dratini early so the amount of grinding doesn't make me want to rage quit this challenge. EVERYONE knows grinding a Dratini to Dragonite is a PAIN.

Team Ownage atm + Locked moves:

Spoiler:

Now for the update part of the update.

- Named Myself Beast.
- Named Rival Monster.
- Picked Charmander, named it Inferno.
- Beat Rival.
- Did the parcel thing.
- Grinded Inferno to Lv. 14.
- Went towards the Pokemon League, got challenged by Monster.
- Beat him again.
- Obtained the Teachy TV.
- Got through Viridian Forest.
- Beat Brock.
- Inferno evolved.
- Obtained Running Shoes.
- Proceeded to go to Cerulean City.
- Saved.

Screenshots: See the attachments.

NOTE: This will be edited with an update.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
@Ninjagon: I would prefer you didn't hack any pokemon. Can't you just buy one at game corner? That's what I did in LeafGreen and it wasn't that bad.

@joshbl56: I have added you to the list. All games are welcome as long as they aren't a spin off.

Last edited:
Years
Question before I continue: What is your thoughts on trading? I was wondering as I wanted to try to evolve some pokemon or get others from a different game.

UPDATE:
I'm going to update this now as I probably will not be able to play for a while because of classes going on.
*Grind some more to get my pokemon to level 12 (I didn't catch any new ones)
*Battled Brock and won
*Went through route to Mt. Moon where my Nidoran (male) and Nidoran (female) evolved to Nidorino and Nidorina
*Went through Mt. Moon and acquired 2 moon stones for later. Defeated Team Rocket on the way through.
*Got Dome Fossil.
*Finally got to Cerulean City and fought Gary. Won the fight.
*Went through Nugget Bridge and had Tomato evolve into a Pidgeotto.
*Was given a Charmander. Named it Pepper.
*Grinded a few levels so Pickle wouldn't be at lvl. 13

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
Yeah ok, i'll do that, also never mind me updating the other update, if no-one posts when my update is done, i'll edit this.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Trading for evolutions is OK. I should probably include that in my thread. I'll update that now. This is my first thread so I forget stuff.

BlueShellBeast

Rodent User
Years
I hope that it was fine for me to trade my Unown over to my Heart Gold in order to figure out what type of Hidden Power it had, and giving it an everstone on the trade back. It was really bothering me after I couldn't figure it out an a few hours time... At any rate.

BlueShellBeast's Pokemon Soul Silver Update #1
Badges Obtained: 3

• I started out the game naming myself Sieg.
  • I picked Cyndaquil (Named him Solis) to go with the fire starter theme that I seem to have started. (I also want to use Pokemon that I rarely use this time...) Like Genki the Charmander, I will not evolve him.
  • I complained about Weedles constantly poisoning me after getting over the fact that there were actually Weedles in the wild. (Typically a Heart Gold player when it comes to the remakes...)
  • Finally got to Mr. Pokemon's house and went to beat my rival. It was easy, as always, and I named him Silver because I'm original.
  • I went around catching most of the Pokemon that I saw, however, I can't figure out if I really want to use most of them.
  • I caught an Unown in the Ruins of Alph (Atlas the Unown A) because I figured that it would be fun to try to beat the game with one on my team.
  • Atlas destroyed most of the Bellsprout Tower until it ran out of PP. Solis took care of the rest.
  • Solis soloed Falkner and his gym as well as Bugsy's gym.
  • At that point, I saved, failed to beat my rival, trained more, still failed, and finally on my third try, I beat Silver.
  • I got through the Ilex Forest after some minor difficulty.
  • I beat Whitney on the first try and gained some respect for the move "Spite". It was fun watching the Milktank use struggle until it killed itself!
Current Team
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
@BlueShellBeast as long as your not trading new Pokemon into your game for use, it's fine.

@Everyone I just posted some userbars courtesy of Mavy42! They can be found in their respective sections within the initial post.

Alright, here's a more complete update:

-Started new game as WARRIOR
-Chose Tododile for starter
-Received Mystery Egg
-Battled Rival, named him SHANKS
-Brought Mystery Egg to Prof Elm
-Boxed Sentret
-Boxed HootHoot
-Recruited Geodude
-Recruited Spearow
-Boxed Rattata
-Recruited Spinarak
-Boxed Bellsprout
-Recruited Dunsparce
-Crushed Sprout Tower
-Crushed Falkner
-Boxed Unown
-Boxed Mareep
-Boxed Wooper
-Stopped at Union Cave Pokemon Center

Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
So, instead of finishing the game I have been making banners for this challenge:

Spoiler:

Enjoy and tell me if I missed a game (I'm pretty sure the only one I didn't do was original Green version but I didn't think anyone would play through that one)

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Those are pretty cool. I'll add them to the initial post. What I really need is a large banner for the initial post with a picture of Slowpoke (mascot of the Slow Learner Challenge) wearing one of those graduation caps, that says "The Slow Learner Challenge".

Also, be sure to link your userbars to this thread guys. More advertizing means more challengers.

Update #2:

-Entered Union Cave
-Boxed Sandshrew
-Arrived in Azalea Town
-Crushed Team Rocket
-Crushed Bugsy
-Crushed Rival for the second time

I die a little inside each time I say 'Keep Old Moves'. But, I have fallen in love with the attack Rage.

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Somehow I think that Dunsparce is gonna go far. I think I can pull off quite a strategy with just those four moves.

Last edited:
Years
Pokemon Yellow Update

Number of Badges: 3

*Evolved Pepper (Charmander) into a Charmeleon
*Beat Route 25 and received S.S. Tickets
*Went back down and defeated Misty
*Beat Team Rocket at the backyard of Dig guy
*Made it to Vermillion and started Grinding
*Beat all trainers on Route 11
*Fought everyone on the S.S. Anne
*Beat Rival and received HM 01
*Evolved Lettice into Nidoking
*Went through Vermillion City Gym and beat Lt. Surge
*Received Squirtle, named it Jellybean

Current Pokemon Team:
Spoiler:

Arcturus.

Chews nails and spits napalm
Years
Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I'm on vacation right now.

Beat all the trainers on route 6
Arrived in Vermillion City
Got the bike voucher from the pokemon fan club
Caught a Level 31 Dugtrio(Lt. Surge is taken care of)
Defeated all the trainers on the S.S Anna
Got HM Cut from the captain
Taught Dugtrio Cut
Defeated all trainers in the Vermillion City Gym(Dugtrio did all the work)

Current Team
Dugtrio Lv32
Moves
Dig
Cut
Mud-Slap
Sand Tomb

Pidgeotto Lv22
Moves
Tackle
Sand-Attack
Gust
Quick Attack

Butterfree Lv19
Moves
Tackle
String Shot
Harden
Confusion

Wartortle Lv19
Moves
Tackle
Tail Whip
Bubble
Withdraw

Mankey Lv19
Moves
Scratch
Leer
Low Kick
Karate Chop

Geodude Lv21
Moves
Tackle
Defense Curl
Mud Sport
Rock Throw

I wrote this update from my phone so I just put down the important stuff. I'll be updating again once I get back from my vacation.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Power's back! I'll be posting an update tomorrow.

Okay, so I haven't really done enough to warrant an update, so I'll wait until I make some more progress.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Quick team update since my laptop is low on battery life.

Spr_4d_387.png

Terra (Turtwig) Lv. 17
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Overgrow
Moves: Tackle, Rock Smash (Required), Absorb, Razor Leaf​

Years
Wow, a lot has happened since the last time I updated. My home internet connection was cut off so I have to go to my college one so I can update. The next update should be sometime either this weekend or next week. Let's get started!

Pokemon Yellow Update

Number of Badges: 5

*Went through Vermillion City Gym and beat Lt. Surge
*Received Squirtle, named it Jellybean

*Went through route 9 and route 10 to get to Lavender Town.
*Instead of going straight into the Pokemon Tower, I went through route 8 for some training
*Now I went into Pokemon Tower and defeated Gary.
*Went to the Name Rater and had them change those horrible names. I'm not sure why I chose to go through with pokemon named after edible stuff @.@
*Went through Route 7 and caught a high leveled Abra (See attachment)
*After grinding a bit I went down and defeated Erika.
*Went to Game Corner and got up enough coins to buy a Scyther (named Cutter)
*Went through Team Rocket's hideout and destroyed their plans. Received Silph Scope.
*Went back to Pokemon Tower and caught a Ghastly (Ghosty) and Cubone. Defeated Team Rocket Here and saved Mr. Fuji.
*Went back to route 5 and traded the cubone for a Machoke (who evolved into a machamp).
*Went to Fuschia city and the Safari Zone. Received Surf and Strength.
*Fought Koga twice (had to grind for some levels because of his annoying lvl. 50 Venomoth) and won the second time.
*Went to Saffron City and Silph Co.
*Defeated every Rocket member there and then against Gary.
*Fought and won again Giovanni. Received master ball.
*Fought Fighting Dojo and grabbed Hitmonchan (I realized I should have grabbed Hitmonlee later).
*In Sabrina's gym and right about to fight her

Pokemon Team:

Spoiler:

Big Update! I don't have any classes today so I took all night to play and finish Pokemon Yellow.

Pokemon Yellow Update

Number of badges: 8 and defeated Elite 4

*I am not including grinding time unless it seems relevant.*

*I beat Sabrina with a combination of Dextor, Psy, and James (more like Sand-Attack)
*I went through Seafoam Island and accidentally defeated Articuno with a critical hit Psybeam (was going to catch it as a trophy)
*Got to cinnabar Island and had Kabuto (Claw) Revived
*Ran through the mansion (and used some extra Rare Candies I had stored) to get Claws to evolve.
*Went through Blaines gym (deliberately getting all answers wrong for the experience) and defeated Blaine with Claws and King.
*Went through the Power Plant to fight Zapdos but accidently teleported away with Psy (I hadn't saved it since the Articuno accident so I wasn't going to reset)
*Went to Giovanni's gym and lost pretty quickly the first time (None of my pokemon were even at lvl 50) but was able to win the second time after using a combination of Claw's absorb, King's Surf, and Psy's Psychic. Have to give a shoutout to James for being a trooper while I revived Claw for the last hit.
*Fought Gary again and was surprised that he was extremely easy (claw was the only one to faint but I had beat 3 pokemon with him and didn't use potions)
*Went through Victory Road and defeated Moltres (just because I didn't catch the other two).
*Finally got to the Pokemon League and lost to Lorelei the first few times (then again, half my team is made of Ground/Rock pokemon and Gengar was at a lost against a few of her pokemon) but I was able to win with with Ghosty's Hypnosis on every pokemon and James' Sand-Attack.
*Breezed through My fights with Bruno and Agetha with Psy, King, Claw, and Ghosty
*Had a bit of trouble with Lances Aerodactyl and it's fly but was able to win with 2 pokemon left (Psy and James)
*Fought Gary for the last time and was easily able to overpower him with type advantages and status ailments. Didn't even have 1 pokemon faint or even go in the red.

Final Pokemon Team

Spoiler:

Before I start my next game, are we allowed to breed for specific attacks? Or use pokemon we breed at all?

Last edited by a moderator:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
You can breed for attacks. However, it would be a difficult process of finding a Pokemon that already knows the move you need, or will learn the move before running out of attack slots. Then you would have to do a lot of grinding. You can't breed attacks in before the start of a game. That would ruin the point of the challenge.

But congrats on becoming the second Graduate! I'll add you to the list. You can wear the Graduate Userbar now if you want.

I hate Witney's guts right now. I beat all the trainers around, and still can't beat that Miltank.

Years
Completely disregard what I said earlier. I changed my mind and and am going to play all the third installments of the games instead (except for Black(2)/White(2), which I haven't chosen for yet). I plan to play Pokemon Crystal Version instead.

Last edited:

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Good idea joshbl56. I love Crystal Version, and maybe I should have played it, but I also love my HeartGold Version. I came up with a strategy to beat Whitney. I'm going to buy a Dratini at the Game Corner, and Dragon Rage the crap out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back