• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Checkmate

Honest

Hi!
Years
What is your opinion on the board game known as chess? Do you play? Are you good? Do you have a favorite personalized chess set? Anything chess related, basically.

I love chess which surprises people, for some reason. I've played for fun for ages, and I'm decent if I can focus. I had the liberty of playing American Grandmaster Robert Hess once. It wasn't even one on one, it was one on thirty two (separate boards), I think. Thirty two. I wasn't the first to lose, thankfully, but I fell pretty quick. Thirty lost, and two tied with him. So no one won. It was pretty insane.

Anyway, I play for fun a lot. I've beaten everyone in my family, except mom, since she never bothered learning how to play. I can beat my friends. Except with them, I get distracted a lot. Go figure.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Embarrassing as it is, I don't know how to play chess. However, there was a game I used to play back in the day called "Lego Chess", it was a part of a series of Lego games (which actually weren't that bad). It gave visual path aids, and I had a blast with it. Sure, I never learned how to play chess, and because of that it was a lot less strategic, but it was certainly entertaining.

Years
I like chess, but I have no one to play it with since my circle of friends aren't into it and/or don't know (or want to learn) how to play. I'm fine at it, I suppose, but I don't think I've had someone to play against who was at my level for a long time so I really have no idea how good I am. Haven't even played in a while.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I love playing chess, with computer players that is. I have Hoyle Board Games 2005 version (has about 25 various games)

my embarrassment: don't remember which episode James said something like "We have a proud tradition of failure to uphold", I have played chess at least 455 times and lost every single game. I have been close to winning 5 times but I always seem to loose. Still, I have fun playing it.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
I used to play a lot, not so much though.

Back when I played a lot, my grandma bought me a mirror and frosted glass chess set. It's my favorite set, although I rarely used it. (I was always afraid of breaking it. Mirror board, and frosted quartz pieces.)

Anyway, I went to some tournamants when I was in the school chess club. Here were my rankings.

57/126 (First one I went to)
18/57
5/56
3/37
3/46

I got progressively better each tournamant I went to. As for in club, I was 4/18.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I love chess, LOVE chess. I love the conept of chess, I love the chess pieces, the way it's played, the strategies ugh. Many of my friends consider those who play chess to be totally geeks, but tbh I don't really care. I thoroughly enjoy chess. As a kid I'd always nag my parents and granparents to play with me. So you could say I've grown up on chess. As a kid I never had a proper chess set, just several plastic/wooden ones from the two dollar shop. But as I grew older, my dad's friend bought me a mirror and frosted glass chess set - like Mr X's, and I play it a lot. Mainly with myself, however on occasion I'll play with my sister, who is surprisingly good. It's funny since the other day during lunch break my and a friend decided to have a game of chess. She was quite good, but I still beat her, ahah. xD

Years
I used to play it as a youngster but I stopped when I was around 15 or something. Found other interests and stuff like that - YUUUUUUUUGIIIIIIIOHHHHHH!!!

The Void

hiiiii
Years
Chess! I love chess!

To be honest, I'm so addicted to it that I have a virtual (computer) mentor that gives me certain challenges that I should solve >.>

Although tbqh, I sometimes ignore certain plans of attack the opponent makes and continue my own plan of attack instead, sometimes letting the opponent get through my fail defenses and corner my untouched king :(

I do have an achievement I wish to brag to everyone though... I beat around five people with just four moves. (Is anyone familiar with this?) :D

I find it interesting how many people don't know the en passant rule and how easily I can take advantage of it. xD

Aside from that, I also find it entertaining to watch matches like Championship Matches, GM/FM/IM Matches, etc. Like that match between Deep Blue and Kasporov.... learned a lot from that tbh >.<

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I do have an achievement I wish to brag to everyone though... I beat around five people with just four moves. (Is anyone familiar with this?) :D
You could actually mate a person with only 2 moves. That depends entirely on how they move their pieces though. The "four moves" also depends on how your opponent move his/her pieces. A failed one would leave your Queen very vulnerable, though. ):

I also like Chess. I play it casually against friends and family, never actually played on a competition outside of school. I ranked 3rd at school last year (I played poorly in my last match, my opponent before that much really broke my concentration though), but I enjoyed the experience!

Years
I love the game but I'm nowhere near as good as I used to be. I used to play all the time but these days there's nobody around. I have a wooden Balinese chess set that is pretty cool, the pieces are really unique.

@dragon: I'm very familiar with it, love the four move checkmate. But it only works on people who don't know the game that well, same for the three move. Trying to not be offensive here but the two-move only works on complete idiots or absolute beginners (I have a tendency to put things to harsh sorry about that.

@Bloodex I did a very similar "competition" with another grandmaster (may have been him) and it was the same here, nobody one although a few of us tied him or at least lasted a long time (My proudest achievement was being the third longest game).

In general though it's a great game and a dying art, I wish more people were interested.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I love chess and it's really fun to play, but unfortunately I've had no one to play it with in the past few years and it's not the same playing online D: I used to be in a chess club and it was a lot of fun trying out new strategies and such, but unfortunately there's just not that many people who play it anymore to play against :( My friend suggested webcam chess one time which I never tried, but it sounds... different, haha.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
I play and chess and enjoy and I like how challenging the game is Idk If I'm good, but I'm planning to make Chess as my main sport... :)

And does anybody knew the two-move checkmate? :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Anyone who wants to play someone online, VM me.

Especially YOU SCARF you still need to FACE ME.

Back