• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

User Appreciation Thread + Others..

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
Just thought to bring up a suggestion that I suggested in the Staff Feedback forum, and realized that the thread was going slightly offtopic.

What do you all feel about a User Appreciation Thread probably in OT (so posts don't count.) Just a thread where you'll be able to say/show your appreciation to any user (member or staff or supporter or whomever) who have done something you are thankful for/ did something outstanding or something that made you happy.. or even someone being friendly. Basically an appreciation thread to give good feedback to anyone and everyone who wants to shoutout to either the forums in general, or even specific people on here too!

Hopefully maybe posts from the staff thread could be merged into here for further discussion too? But if not, the two threads I suggested is a Staff Bio Thread (to make staff less intimidating because you get to see a blurb of their personality) which would be locked and stickied somewhere like in announcements or New Users/Welcome. And the other thread is the User Appreciation Thread.. (prob in OT) because I think it's nice to throw in an give your appreciation to the awesome people we have here- even if they aren't active anymore or if they never see it, sometimes you just wanna give a shoutout to people who've made you smile or made a good impact on you. :3

Last edited:

Honest

Hi!
Years
I'm down for this. Like someone already said, it's polar opposite of Dear Anon, which is a more serious thread. With proper moderation, the thread could just turn out amazing.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Member appreciation thread in a similar vein to Dear Anon sounds good to try out.

Stuff like member appreciation sections that were thrown about in the other thread... I am less keen on though (if only because of the risks of turning it into a popularity contest and if it became like Member fanclubs... urgh. Never was a fan of those). At the least I think it would be better to just go with the appreciation thread and see how it goes for a while.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
I have to say, both these ideas seem magnificent! A Member Appreciation thread would make easy the many good gestures we like to share. The bio-forum also seems like a good way to introduce yourself in a more orderly fashion that is you, as well as get to know new people and make new friends. I do agree that these might tip the balance a bit but that's nothing that can't be handled with a few ground rules and what not.

So yeah, you've got my +1

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I do agree with Vappy in that I think if you really think someone deserves to know they're awesome, just VM them. But I mean, VMs do get forgotten, but also, how are people gonna know they were posted about if it's not a thread they check often, or even know about? Or since it's gonna be in OT, which not everyone goes to. idk. I think either way, some people just aren't gonna be aware they were posted about. But I mean, I still like this idea and I think it'd have a good shot at working. And if not, tough nuts, no harm done. Hopefully.

I'm never saying tough nuts again...wtf. lol

I was thinking that every member doesn't have good feedback for staff members. I am not pointing at anyone! But this thread could also be used to highlight not only the good but the mistakes too. Who is perfect? Some members may feel different imo. Again, I'm not pointing anyone and this was just my 2 cents.

Then if they don't have good feedback, post in the staff feedback thread so that it can be addressed and not in member appreciation? lol Did you mean to post this in the staff feedback thread? Cause this is about member appreciation so idk why an opinion on staff would matter, and if the member appreciation goes for staff as well, I mean...it's an appreciation thread, so negative things wouldn't be allowed anyway. ;x

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I was thinking that every member doesn't have good feedback for staff members. I am not pointing at anyone! But this thread could also be used to highlight not only the good but the mistakes too. Who is perfect? Some members may feel different imo. Again, I'm not pointing anyone and this was just my 2 cents.

I don't think this really fits in with the suggestion. The point is to make people happier, not criticize them. While having a compliment in public isn't a bad thing, a criticism in public is pretty rude and you should send them directly to the person, privately. There's currently a staff feedback thread for negative feedback for staff, and I wouldn't be happy if it was extended to the community. Our job is to be mature and take the criticism like adults, but members don't have that responsibility and I wouldn't want to hurt them.

Echidna

Years
I think either way, some people just aren't gonna be aware they were posted about.
I think this is a valid point, which is why I wanted to suggest a plug-in or a custom feature if you will. I'd put this in its own thread but it's vastly related to this topic so: What if we could create a mention notification system? A way to get notified when someone mentions you? I agree this could be messy, which is why one way could be to use a certain BBCode to make the mention official. For instance:
Yeah, [mention]Team Fail[/mention] and I have been pairs for a few months now!
And Team Fail would in turn get a notification on his UCP about the mention. Idk, just a thought.
I'm never saying tough nuts again...wtf. lol
Hehe, epic.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't see why member appreciation could just be for all users (rename it to User Appreciation?) to encompass all members, staff and non-staff. That way there wouldn't have to be two threads for it in two different places. And that way it wouldn't seem like a staff appreciation thread would be like...pedestal-like, if you get what I'm saying. I think having a separate staff appreciation thread seems a bit strange and puts a gap between us and members.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I've stated my opinion earlier, but although OVP and CQandF are good alternate options, I would personally prefer it to be in OT because then people can be a bit more lighthearted about it like I sometimes see in blogs ("My friends are awesome, all of you guys rock!") And there are already a lot of important stickied threads to go through already in CQandF that are more important than this thread will be.

Perhaps it will bring some activity back to OT though, which would be nice.

I think Dear Anonymous is good in OVP because it is sorta answering the poll "what would you say to someone here that you wouldn't be able to normally" whereas the appreciation thread would be a free for all.

But if it came down to it, OVP would be another good section.. and maybe the Celebrations section might also be an alternate location.. but due to the nature that I can see things sorta going with it, I think disabling postcount on it would be best ;3'

Edit: And said in the other thread originally, my thoughts on the Member appreciation thread would encompass everyone here.. not just staff or members. I just said Member because staff are technically members too ;3 But sorry for the confusion. Edited my first post accordingly.

Echidna

Years
I don't see why member appreciation could just be for all users (rename it to User Appreciation?) to encompass all members, staff and non-staff. That way there wouldn't have to be two threads for it in two different places. And that way it wouldn't seem like a staff appreciation thread would be like...pedestal-like, if you get what I'm saying. I think having a separate staff appreciation thread seems a bit strange and puts a gap between us and members.

Yeah agreed. I mean not that I'm in a place to agree xD, but still I think one thread for User Appreciation is best ya know? Just make a post and describe why you're grateful/appreciative, be it towards a member of the staff or just a friend! Shouldn't really matter!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I agree with Kura about this being in OT. That way it can stay lighthearted and a bit silly, and it makes more sense that Dear Anon is in OVP as it's more serious, and it also applies to people we know offline anyway and it's not always very...playful. XD

Yeah agreed. I mean not that I'm in a place to agree xD,

Don't feel like it's not your place to agree. You're a member here, this thread is open to everyone of us, so clearly your opinions and agreements, or even disagreements, are wanted and considered. :)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I seen the "We are STILL working on a better slogan"

So here is my suggestion:

Love and respect for Humans and Pokemon alike.

Not really what this thread is about and that IS the slogan. :P And I don't think it's ever gonna get changed because we have posts like this and it's like "the slogan strikes again!"

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
I think this should just be kept to VMs, PMs or post comments. I'm only saying this because I feel that this thread would have the same problem as the reputation system. Also if people just give shout outs to their friends for doing nothing in particular but just get one for being someone who's existence makes their time on PC more enjoyable, then you can pretty much guarantee that someone who was left out will feel less significant than others.

If the appreciation thread does get approved then I would like to see actual gratitude and not 100 different ways of telling someone how much of a friend they are.

The Staff Bio thread though is something I can agree on. There are some moderators on the forum that I didn't even know existed(I won't say which ones) and when I know nothing about a moderator I feel less comfortable posting in their forum. That might just be paranoia though.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Kick me out the door if I'm a dinkleboo for not reading posts between the OP and the post I'm making now, I'm just answering the thread's question...

I think a Shoutout/Appreciation Thread would be super. In my on-and-off relationship with this website (not any fault of this sites for sure, I just get distracted) I've never come back to butt munches all mean. And, ironically enough, a thread such as a Shoutout would be a godsend because there's a bunch of people I want to thank for being such great members. And you know, the thread may not exist atm, but I'ma go for it... I'ma do it now.

Shoutouts | Sorry; Ban me. xD *nervous

Mac - Brother helped me with my thread without a second thought and wasn't mean about it. (not that I expected such a reaction) But mucho appreciated.

Curious. - I was all; CURIOUS! Help me change my Thread's title! And she was all; "Not my job, brother!" and I'm all; "Who's is it?" and she's all. "That guy over there!" *points to Mac. And I'm all; "THANKS!" and she's all "YOU'RE WELCOME" tl;dr; she's been overly helpful and I thank her for her patience and down right sensitivity to my lack of understanding that I should read before I post (most likely not going to happen, BUT WE'LL WORK ON IT!)

OffRoadSP - For sifting through my stupid Unova Journal posts and liking everyone of them up to date. Real uplifting. Keeps me motivated. :D

JohnnyJ773 - Been uber patient with me while we've been trying to trade off, we both have very erratic schedules and we can't seem to find a good date to be like; "HEY MAN, TAKE MY POKéMON!" So yeah, those guys have been really helpful with me this last 2 weeks. Love ya guys.

PS. I vote 'yes' for Shoutout/Appreciation Thread.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Everyone deserves a little sunshine in their day, even if the rest of the world is pouring down rain on their shoulders.

The way I see it, someone could have made an "Appreciate the User Above" thread in Other Trivia and it would have gone along quite fine. I can see something like this in the vein of the Dear Anon thread working out well... at least it's worth a try anyway.

About the alternative of sending VMs and PMs, yes that could work, but it should be worth noting that not everyone finds direct confrontation an easy thing to do. There may be some users who have some nice things to mention about someone else, but they don't feel comfortable enough to tell them directly or they just don't want to come off as a suck up (or creeper) to that person.

Giving members a way and a place to politely express the goodness they see in others around the forum is quite a nice thing to have. Similar to how we have the Dear Anonymous thread in OVP. I don't see the harm in it really so long as it's one thread open to all and it's in a place where everyone (or at least a majority of users) can have access to it and are aware about it.

Echidna

Years
Everyone deserves a little sunshine in their day, even if the rest of the world is pouring down rain on their shoulders.

The way I see it, someone could have made an "Appreciate the User Above" thread in Other Trivia and it would have gone along quite fine. I can see something like this in the vein of the Dear Anon thread working out well... at least it's worth a try anyway.

About the alternative of sending VMs and PMs, yes that could work, but it should be worth noting that not everyone finds direct confrontation an easy thing to do. There may be some users who have some nice things to mention about someone else, but they don't feel comfortable enough to tell them directly or they just don't want to come off as a suck up (or creeper) to that person.

Giving members a way and a place to politely express the goodness they see in others around the forum is quite a nice thing to have. Similar to how we have the Dear Anonymous thread in OVP. I don't see the harm in it really so long as it's one thread open to all and it's in a place where everyone (or at least a majority of users) can have access to it and are aware about it.

Yes sir! All this and the fact that, well, a thread in OT or w/e would be much more public than the user's profile! I mean I know that there are a lot of things people have done for me that I wanted to thank them for publicly, but had to stick with VMing them and/or blogging it. It's true that profiles are public too, I just like to think that not everyone is a stalker like yours truly u_u

Years
I like the idea of a single thread where a member can make one post to thank some people, or a lot of people. I think it's with the case of there being many people someone would want to thank/appreciate/whatever that a thread would be good because then they wouldn't have to go to every single person's profile to leave a message. I'd be like giving you acceptance speech instead of calling everyone one by one. I don't think it would be any less heartfelt (after all, you're doing it in the first place) than contacting everyone individually. Individual vms could also be awkward if the person on the receiving end doesn't know what to say in response so a thread would allow them to just 'like' the post, choose not to respond if they don't want to, or start up a conversation themselves. There's less pressure, is what I'm saying.

A thread seems kind of like it would be along the lines of those blog posts that sometimes come up where someone just wants a chance to be appreciative without being so specifically thankful to each individual. And, you know, not trying to take a perk away from members with blogs, but appreciation to your fellow members is probably something we want to encourage as much as possible.

Back