• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Florida vs. Dunn

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
If you live in the United States, supposedly you've heard of the Florida Vs. Dunn case where a man shot a teenage black kid because he was playing his music too loud and apparently felt "threaten". The charges are all against him as second degree murder and he will definitely spend his life in jail.
However, with cases like Casey Anthony, OJ and Zimmerman. Due to faulty evidence they were not guilty. If I walk onto someone's yard and no one is there to witness it. I could get shot and get accused of trespassing, and a stand your ground law and no one would be able to defend the law.

So my question to you is, do you think the American laws need to be revamped to fit this day and age? It seems there's a lot of ways to get away with murder.

Joel.Lion

Years
No, not necessarily. Maybe some laws could be better defined and narrowed to avoid people claiming self-defense when it isn't applicable. But at the end of the day, I have the right to carry a firearm, and I have the right to protect myself. Maybe I'm bias, I admit I support the right to carry a firearm. And I support stand your ground laws. The first is a constitutional right, given to me to form a militia should my government get to the point that we have to restart. And the latter is common sense. If someone is threatening your life, you have the right to defend yourself. The people who complain about this are the ones that haven't been victim to needless crime. As much as guns do bad, one good person with a gun is all it takes to stop a robbery, an assault, car jacking, mass shootings, etc. If you were to change laws to make it harder for innocent people to defend themselves you may be encouraging criminals. If they know no one can fight back, then why hesitate?

*no offense to anybody or there beliefs* I'm sure I took some things kinda far out, but I presented only one side of the answer, I'm sure the rest will be filled in.

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Stand your ground laws are inherently flawed because they not only permit deadly response to an actual threat but a perceived threat as well. The problem with perceived threats is that they're more often than not other than what they're perceive to be. Take for instance a case where a motorist gets into an accident and begins knocking on people's doors for help. That motorist then ends up being killed by a homeowner with a shotgun because the homeowner perceived the person knocking on their door to be a threat. The concept of stand your ground laws may be sound, but it's the application of those laws that most definitely is flawed.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
My view on Florida, koff~

There are 49 states in the United States, and Florida is not one of them. Most of the insane BS comes from Florida I swear. If I had put money down on where this took place, I'd be a rich man. I saw the story and before I knew it took place in Florida, I knew it had took place in Florida. I hate Florida. . . koffi~

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
CoffeeDrink, that has to be one of the most bizarre comments I've ever read. Florida not one of the 50 states? Reality clearly differs from your "opinion." That you would deny a part of the country is quite disturbing. As is your over-generalization of the people in that state (and it IS a state, like it or not). I think, if you looked at it objectively, every state in the union has laws on its books that are just as irrational and make just as much sense.

For instance:

Alabama
  • It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
  • Dominoes may not be played on Sunday.
  • It is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church.
California
  • Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses.
  • Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.
  • Bathhouses are against the law.
  • It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.
  • Women may not drive in a house coat.

Florida
  • Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.
  • A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.
  • If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.
  • It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.
  • Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.
  • Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.
  • It is illegal to skateboard without a license.
  • When having sex, only the missionary position is legal.

Kansas
  • Prohibits shooting rabbits from a motorboat.

Louisiana
  • It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water pistol.

Indiana
  • It is illegal for a liquor store to sell cold soft drinks.
  • Liquor stores may not sell milk.

Michigan
  • You may not swear in front of women and children in the state of Michigan.

Nebraska
  • It is illegal for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup.

New York
  • A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting. This old law specifically prohibits men from turning around on any city street and looking "at a woman in that way." A second conviction for a crime of this magnitude calls for the violating male to be forced to wear a "pair of horse-blinders" wherever and whenever he goes outside for a stroll.
  • It is against the law to throw a ball at someone's head for fun.
  • A license must be purchased before hanging clothes on a clothesline.
  • The penalty for jumping off a building is death.

North Dakota
  • Beer and pretzels can't be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.
  • It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on.

Ohio
  • It is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday.
  • It is illegal to get a fish drunk.

Pennsylvania
  • A person is not eligible to become Governor if he/she has participated in a duel.

Texas
  • It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.
  • It is illegal to drive without windshield wipers. You don't need a windshield, but you must have the wipers.
  • It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.
  • It is illegal to milk another person's cow.
  • A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.
  • The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.

Wisconsin
  • You must manually flush all urinals in a building.
  • Butter substitutes are not allowed to be served in state prisons.

And these are but just a few! Clearly Florida isn't alone in its craziness. I don't understand your prejudice against Florida (I've been there and find it a pleasant state despite its anti-gay laws) but clearly you have allowed it to fester in your mind to the point of ugliness. Florida is no better and no worse than any other state in the union. All of them have their faults, and all of them have their good points as well.

CoffeeDrink

Years
Hey, koff~

I like how you trash my opinion and make a list of weird-as-hell laws that other states have, but Florida still has the most weird-as-hell laws listed in your comment. Lovely example, and it's not sarcasm by the way. It inadvertently goes to show how strange and foul the place really is.

Besides, coming after me with "this is that and that is this" is clearly the wrong approach. I have my own right to throw my opinion around and to use your terms, like it or not, I have a right to do that.

One other thing, most of these laws have nothing to do with active crime. Shooting at teenagers because "I hate that thug music" is not conscripted in any law anywhere in the history of everything that has been created in the universe since dust particles!

I'll re-iterate what I believe in a form that is better phrased than what I had said previously: Most of the horrid/bizarre news that I receive, for whatever reason, comes straight from Florida. Shooting teens in cars, shooting kids wearing hoodies, taking ID photos wearing burkas, or deranged kids killing their parents before parties. Yes, yes. What a lovely hellhole they all live in. Sonny Crockett always had his work out for him. . . all that sun and humidity must do something to people, koffi~

p.s. 49 states, koff~

Years
  • Age 51
  • Seen Jul 22, 2016
Hey, koff~

I like how you trash my opinion and make a list of weird-as-hell laws that other states have, but Florida still has the most weird-as-hell laws listed in your comment. Lovely example, and it's not sarcasm by the way. It inadvertently goes to show how strange and foul the place really is.

I could easily make the claim, as a Canadian, that everyone in the U.S. are nutters and should be locked away in an insane asylum for all the craziness that occurs in that country. But that is a generalization that is not only wrong, but extremely offensive... as is your opinion.

You will note that I finished that list with a disclaimer that there were many such laws in every state. So to think that Florida has the largest number of crazy laws based on that list would just be you jumping to a false conclusion because it appears to validate your personal belief.

Besides, coming after me with "this is that and that is this" is clearly the wrong approach. I have my own right to throw my opinion around and to use your terms, like it or not, I have a right to do that.

Yes you do. But the key thing to remember here is that just because you have an opinion does not mean it is the only one, or that it is the correct one. It's clear to me that you hold very negative feelings for that state, for whatever reason, and that is fine. But in order for your opinion to be valid, or even taken seriously, it has to be grounded on solid, undisputable facts. I will also say that for every crazy thing that you claim happens in Florida, I can cite an equal number incidents like this in states like New York, Ohio, California, Texas, Arizona, Utah, and in fact every state. Florida does not have a monopoly on craziness. Where there are humans, craziness is sure to be. Your truths and your opinions are not reflective of reality. They are extreme and offensive. But you're right. You have every right to hold those views. Just don't expect anyone to take you seriously when you spit out your prejudice so plainly.

Florida is a state within the U.S. of A. That is a fact, whether you like it or not. You saying that it isn't, doesn't make it so.

CoffeeDrink

Years
You will note that I finished that list with a disclaimer that there were many such laws in every state. So to think that Florida has the largest number of crazy laws based on that list would just be you jumping to a false conclusion because it appears to validate your personal belief.

Florida is a state within the U.S. of A. That is a fact, whether you like it or not. You saying that it isn't, doesn't make it so.

Okay, koffi~

First, I didn't say that Florida had the most weird laws. In fact, I never did. I did, however, claim that in your example you used more laws from Florida than from any other state. Oops. Didn't say Florida has the highest count of crazy laws did I? I don't think I ever did. Keep in mind that actions that are portrayed in the news have nothing to do with the crazy laws that the state itself has produced. Dig?

Also, my opinion is my opinion. If you would note, having an opinion does not need to be 'validated' at all. In no way shape or form. Ever. Never ever has an opinion ever truly mattered (in my opinion). What I don't understand is that you're clearly trampling over whether or not I can even have an opinion. I never said mine was the only way, I never forced my opinion on you, I don't think I deserve to be treated in a lower tier than you because "you're right and I'm wrong". That's just silly, and I hope you break away from that. Reality has a way of biting your back if you adhere to this bulldogged technique.

Here is the gist of an opinion: who in the hell cares? Really? You decided to make it your personal mission to change my mind about Florida, you stepped on the tracks, you find my opinion offensive? Really? Do you think for two seconds that I would ever apologize for my views? Do you know me personally? Do you know that to me, Florida is a big personal joke? Did you know that I really don't care what opinion someone has? Nope. Not in the slightest. Your opinion on grape flavored soda? I'll listen, but I don't care. That's the beauty of opinions! Not a single person can care. At all.

And don't try to twist that into a "yes you do care because you're replying" crap. I replied because you decided to go on your Canadian crusade, to save the poor, misguided views of an American citizen that lives in wherever-the-hell-I-don't-know-state. Oh boo-hoo, someone finds something on the internet offensive. Big surprise, big deal, big whoop. Let it lie kid, you're reading far too into this incident than you should.

"Florida is a state within the U.S. of A. That is a fact, whether you like it or not. You saying that it isn't, doesn't make it so." yeah, yeah, yeah. Don't remind me about Florida.

No, it doesn't but I never said it did. I did say in my opinion. Mine, my mind, my plain, my property. Mine, mine, mine. Not yours, never yours. Mine. You catching on? Are you beginning to see the comic futility of this situation? Florida is ridiculous. My opinion. Twinkies suck. My opinion. Baseball is better than golf. Opinion. Headphones over earbuds. Opinion. Berreta over Glock? Opinion. Do you care? Do you really, truly care what someone worlds away (or 49 states away, see the comedy?) thinks? I don't think you do. At least, I hope you don't. That would be. . .

Relax, and quit battling my opinion. If you've learned anything in school, it's that opinions can change, but they can also remain static for the rest of that person's life. So what? Ain't your job pal, and it ain't your pay. So, you have your gig of how the US should be of 50, and I have mine of 49. I do agree that the flag would have an awkward design, however. Anyways, if you've successfully read this far, I salute you, as I'm just pouring mindless terms on paper, and you can have a good laugh, or a scratch on the head or a whatever. Know why? Because I do not care at all about anyone's opinions over the internet. I don't know those people, and those people don't know me, so it ain't like we got much to lose, in my opinion.

Cheers, and don't let life get you down, especially internet life. Hell, why am I even wasting time typing this? I could do something else, right, but I don't really want to. The only alternative is work, and I don't feel like working. What was I saying? Oh yes, good bye. And American cheese is uniquely un-American, koff~

Years
Don't get off-topic. Take his opinion on opinions as it is - it doesn't matter, nor is it relevant to the topic. The next post that diverges from the topic will be deleted and infracted.

Back