• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Cobalt [Indefinite Hiatus]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I think I'm just going to leave my Marshtomp with Razor Leaf until I find a better move just because I can. And the 1.7 patch patches fine for me :D

Anyways, I hate to be the person to point out errors, especially since this is far better than anything I could ever do, but I feel like you'd rather know what's wrong so you can fix it.

SKN8oRj.png

I feel like more people would notice this so it might just be me.

jZ7uCQR.png
398HwXf.png

The animations for stat decreases and Poison have somehow become animations for moves.

Br4VlIm.png
SorXBGX.png

The Gold Poke Ball still doesn't work (at least for me it doesn't. It might work for other people)

OPlcHy8.png
HrEVw8J.png
s1jEYD1.png
tUAiuZI.png

The Walky Talky still has the name for Tea and the Medicine has the name for the Rm. 6 Key.

y96bM2C.png

This is after you go in the first ladder in Gold Caves. You can't move anywhere so it's preventing me from progressing any further.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2013
I'm having problems using Pound. Either the opponent, or myself can't use Pound. It freezes instantly. This patch makes my ROM run at about 160%+ at all times, and when I or my rival uses the Pound move it just stops and idles at about 120%. It doesn't seem like a big bug, just like it's looking for a mispelled script, or maybe an unfinished script? I'm not too heavy in hacking yet.

Years
I think I'm just going to leave my Marshtomp with Razor Leaf until I find a better move just because I can. And the 1.7 patch patches fine for me :D

Anyways, I hate to be the person to point out errors, especially since this is far better than anything I could ever do, but I feel like you'd rather know what's wrong so you can fix it.

SKN8oRj.png

I feel like more people would notice this so it might just be me.

jZ7uCQR.png
398HwXf.png

The animations for stat decreases and Poison have somehow become animations for moves.

Br4VlIm.png
SorXBGX.png

The Gold Poke Ball still doesn't work (at least for me it doesn't. It might work for other people)

OPlcHy8.png
HrEVw8J.png
s1jEYD1.png
tUAiuZI.png

The Walky Talky still has the name for Tea and the Medicine has the name for the Rm. 6 Key.

y96bM2C.png

This is after you go in the first ladder in Gold Caves. You can't move anywhere so it's preventing me from progressing any further.

I'm having problems using Pound. Either the opponent, or myself can't use Pound. It freezes instantly. This patch makes my ROM run at about 160%+ at all times, and when I or my rival uses the Pound move it just stops and idles at about 120%. It doesn't seem like a big bug, just like it's looking for a mispelled script, or maybe an unfinished script? I'm not too heavy in hacking yet.
All of the above should be fixed. Please redownload etc.

Years
So far this hack has been amazing. Until I lost to the second person in the first gym. Once I lost this happend.
I spawned at the lab in cinnabar I believe. Then i left the building and I was just there in that unfinished or glitched area.

Last edited:
Years
Should I get the newer one and restart or is there a fix for this.

The fix is restarting D:

I mean you could hack in Fly and the badge that lets you use it into Fortree City, then Fly to Crimsonburg City and edit the header script in the Pokémon Center to be like so:
Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

//---------------
#org @start
#raw 0x5
#raw pointer @snippet1
#raw 0x0

//---------------
#org @snippet1
sethealingplace 0x0
setvar 0x405A 0xC05
setvar 0x405B 0x7
setvar 0x405C 0x4
end
and then enter it in game, then save your game. But that would mess progress up a bit.

HyperKiller

What if..?
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 26, 2023
Alright, I went and took the latest beta, but I still have that Pound freeze....

Mind if you actually update the beta w/Pound fix? I really want to use Treecko, which starts with Pound.

Also, other than that, this is very promising.

Oh, and the part where your Mom goes to find that you haven't left your hometown to get to Yew..

"My..They look pretty (whatever), don't they?"

The "They" part should be separated from the fullstops.

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 21, 2023
I've finally fixed this I think.

So yeah, redownload (again, sorry) and it SHOULD be okay.

It's fixed. =D

Here are the oddities I have encountered in the latest version (Gold Plains and forward):
Spoiler:

Years
oh well im not that far so restarting wont affect that much. Thanks for the help.
That's okay then. Thanks for your patience!

Alright, I went and took the latest beta, but I still have that Pound freeze....

Mind if you actually update the beta w/Pound fix? I really want to use Treecko, which starts with Pound.

Also, other than that, this is very promising.

Oh, and the part where your Mom goes to find that you haven't left your hometown to get to Yew..

"My..They look pretty (whatever), don't they?"

The "They" part should be separated from the fullstops.
Ah, I've fixed the Pound bug now.

As for the latter, that's not really true because it's part of one sentence, and the ellipsis just represents a pause.

View attachment 69098
Gold Plains Pokemon Center. The nurse's message stays after talking to her.
Fixed.

View attachment 69099
In the mines. I think this is pretty self explanatory.
In my ROM this boulder had no script assigned to it so I'm going to assume its fixed itself in the newest patch.

View attachment 69100
Same place. The leader dude.
Fixed.

View attachment 69101
View attachment 69102
These ladders lead to rooms that are completely black. No way out of them unless the player has an Escape Rope
These should be fixed though these maps are especially glitchy for some reason so I wouldn't be surprised if this caused another bug somewhere else in these caves. Anyway, it should be fixed.

redownload pls :3

Also, I don't know if I've mentioned this but a load of Gen 4 and 5 moves have been added in (list in the readme) although their animations are not implemented yet (for now it just appears like Pound) and some effects are not 100% functional yet. They are not integrated into every Pokémon's movepool, though the buffed Pokémon listed in the readme, as well as Pokémon introduced in later generations, do have updated movepools.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2013
When i'm battling shuppet, it freeze the game

I think its because of Pound breaking the game right now.

I think He's taken down the patch to fix the bug for right now. As the links don't lead anywhere but to broken image pages.

I hope you fix this by the time I get off work tomorrow. This is the only "Free-lance" ROM hack that I've enjoyed so far. All the others see to be just too far gone. I really enjoy the subtle "everyday events" that you could actually see in a movie or in real life.

That first lake I had seen with the two kids really caught me off-guard. I felt like I was really right there.

Anyways, I hope you finish this bug soon!!

Years
I found the same things as Mystery Man as well as a few more:
EDIT: It should be noted that these screenshots were taken before Mystery Man which means it isn't the most recent version.
Spoiler:

Sorry if I'm being overly nitpicky. I genuinely do like this hack. Like it's one of the three reasons (along with DarkViolet and Chaos Rush's 64x64 sprite thread) that I check Pokecommunity everyday

EDIT 3: Here's some more:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
This may seem like a stupid quest but how/where did you get that font? The one for that says COBALT in the title screen? I'm trying to find one for my ROM but no luck. :(

Years
When I'm battling shuppet, it freeze the game
I'm 90% sure this has been fixed in the latest patch. Please redownload and try again.

I think its because of Pound breaking the game right now.
This reinforces the idea that you're using an outdated patch because Pound also works in it.

I think He's taken down the patch to fix the bug for right now. As the links don't lead anywhere but to broken image pages.
Ahaha, I misclicked "copy link address" from the post on page 10. That's all the link links to. It should work now.

I hope you fix this by the time I get off work tomorrow. This is the only "Free-lance" ROM hack that I've enjoyed so far. All the others see to be just too far gone. I really enjoy the subtle "everyday events" that you could actually see in a movie or in real life.

That first lake I had seen with the two kids really caught me off-guard. I felt like I was really right there.

Anyways, I hope you finish this bug soon!!
It is fixed, and thanks for the compliments!

akkvx5m.png
Euvjh90.png

These two trainers are given the class of Worker but have the sprites of a Hiker
This was intended. Some of the workers have the electrician image, but these ones were clever and dressed for the occasion. :3

Dlu9S46.png

I'm not sure if the "we" is supposed to be there.

iK7HwqH.png

The text gets cut off here.
Fixed.

xPYluob.png
irQ8lRc.png

These both froze the game.
This was fixed in the latest patch I made.

Also, you might want to buff Psyduck's moveset considering it's a gift Pokemon. Generation III was not kind to it. The only Water move it gets is Hydro Pump at level 50.
I actually do need to do this, thanks for reminding me.

Sorry if I'm being overly nitpicky. I genuinely do like this hack. Like it's one of the three reasons (along with DarkViolet and Chaos Rush's 64x64 sprite thread) that I check Pokecommunity everyday
No not at all, the hack is buggy and these reports help! That's awesome by the way, though there are other hacks you're missing out on dude.

rzCRizl.png

Sandile's menu sprite is Bellsprout's.
Fixed.

Z3j65Fg.png

The boulder still has Dynamo's script.
Man, this boulder is so troublesome and I don't even remember why it's there. It's gone now.

znjt6K8.png

Talking to the rocks freezes the game.

B7bGIn3.png

Going back into the cave makes this happen.
Both fixed.

mdJ8FTF.png
G1IL8GL.png

The nickname screen is a bit buggy (in the first one, the OK is selected but it's impossible to tell)
That is weird. Not sure how or why this is happening so I don't know if I can really fix it. It's not a major bug.

pm1zvQ0.png

Strangely, this only happened to him and not the rest of the team.
I dunno either.

gyW4GLC.png

This speaks for itself.
Fixed.

bqjiI4S.png

At some point, Jackson (the Tribbug evo) was replaced with a duplicate of Oscar the Psyduck. I'm not sure when this happened but I think it may have been because I gave Jackson the SideSys points for the Oran Berry. Unfortunately I realized that Jackson was gone after I savestated and so there was no way to get him back.
Hm... I'm going to redo that script I think.

kykajEn.png

The sign is glitchy.
Fixed.

UUrj1GR.png

And finally, the Gold Poke Balls still don't work for me.

ksZBmod.png

The Gold Poke Ball bug seems to effect all of them and not just the one I've previously shown.
I'm going to look into this as well.

Losing one of my strongest team members and being unable to finish exploring the cave (as well as the fact that it's 2 in the morning) led me to stop playing after that.
Sorry about that bug, I'm going to work on it.

It was beta 1.3 I think, but it's not a big problem to evolve it at lvl 17.
I think its best if you redownload the patch and start afresh because a load of bugs have been fixed since 1.3.

This may seem like a stupid quest but how/where did you get that font? The one for that says COBALT in the title screen? I'm trying to find one for my ROM but no luck. :(
The font is Futura LT. If you want I can make you a logo. Just VM/PM me the name of your hack.

Everyone please redownload the beta from the post this links to. It should have all of the bugs reported so far that aren't still on the bug list fixed.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
I played this time with what was the most recent download last night, so some of this may be ironed out.

Spoiler:

Years
0smSIvp.png
AZjiDQG.png

I noticed a few minor graphical glitches. The one with the ocean is a little hard to spot- watch the middle rock as the waves come in.
The ocean glitch is actually a weird bug I forgot to mention. Sometimes random black half blocks will appear and they do nothing as far as I know except look ugly. I have no idea how to get rid of them though. Thanks for reminding me, I'll add it to the bug list. The bike one has been fixed.

RAfqiQn.png

Attempting to buy a bike without having enough money yields a nonsensical message and doesn't remove the money display.
Fixed.

onFFs2h.png

I know 90 BP Uproar is canon, but there's a good reason none of the many things that get it at stupid low levels are available in Unova's earlygame.
That's a good point actually. As you've probably worked out I'm not too great at figuring out what is balanced and what isn't. I'd like Spinda to be Jack of Hearts' signature Pokémon, so, with that in mind, do you think it'd make more sense for me to update Spinda's movepool so that it learns moves that match the levels you encounter it at along the game, or just put Uproar back to its original BP?

AWSJIs8.png

Self-explanatory.
Fixed.

sTa0ciV.png

The first time I did this the player wasn't facing the right way- I tried it again to fiddle around with it and the second time he just didn't appear at all.
There's also a typo.
This should be fixed though I can't be sure because this script is actually a few scripts and so I have got a little confused with variables and such.

CR69WRj.png

NPC walking animations glitch out if you turn quickly while running. For that matter, why can you run here in this scene, but not later when you're actually in a hurry?
The latter issue has been fixed, although I won't fix the running bug yet because I haven't got the sprites readily available and the other issues are more pressing.

0r2anQY.png

to it is full capacity
Your good at gramar noticing; fixd.

k4UA4Qh.png

The cave is kind of a joke after dealing with Revenge Hitmonchan and a level 13 Heracross in the gym...
Again, do you have any suggestions?

EFr6uSa.png

...especially when we get to this. Hoo boy. Flamethrower Arcanine is more than a bit inappropriate this early in the game, especially with how casual it is up to this stage. It's really hard for me to tell where you're going with the difficulty- most of the game is just a gentle murder-fest, but then I consider the first two leaders (revenge one-shotted everyone not named ledyba) and the Raikou later. They're both manageable with some preparation, but I really don't see how someone using Grovyle would get past this one without grinding a Torkoal up and praying for a Smog proc.

(also the only things with higher bst than arcanine are pseudos, legendaries, or have hindering abilities, and it's using drawback-free 95 BP STAB in the second gym- good luck topping that later)

(also also you just gave flamethrower to combusken who very much does not need that to be one of the best mons for in-game. maybe consider sunny day?)

(also also also the guy at the start of the gym claims intimidate halves your attack- this is wrong, it's just -1 which lowers it by a third.)
I didn't realise this was that big of an issue but now you spell it out for me Flamethrower is OP as **** at this stage. I have taken your advice and replaced it with Sunny Day and gotten rid of Arcanine and given Aiden a slightly more balanced (at least what I think is more balanced) team. Thanks for this.

7IhLKGd.png

no red stop trying to be snake
Fixed.

CSZ5pWo.png

Where I'm from this sort of thing gets you yelled at by default, just saying. I'm not quite as annoyed with this as I am with Arcanine though, since the trainer seems to have 1 AI and it's at least made clear that hey, Raikou is coming at some point.
Yeah, I was really uncomfortable with giving Lilith Raikou anyway but I guess I was lazy and just threw it on her team anyway. Again, I've given her a more balanced team (or at least I hope more balanced).

Ob8oRSq.png

That doesn't sound healthy.
muh unobvious character limit

Fixed.

Y0oNeJa.png

This scene uses Doduo's cry, not Seel's.
For some reason XSE's being stubborn and keeps changing it from PKMN_SEEL to PKMN_DODUO, even when I enter the value by myself so I'm not really sure why this is happening.

nA1dZwp.png

It's a desert! With the RSE desert theme! Unfortunately it sounds really bad because it's using FR voicegroups >:
It does look nice though. Shame it diverts into a cave right away.
I do plan to redo this music because it does sound kind of sucky. I plan to add in a second desert area later on in the game so hopefully that will fix the "issue" of going straight into the cave.

bXqdB40.png

lolwat
idk what happened here but this cave is flagrantly broken
i think the trainers are meant to be there and it's just wilds that are using the wrong table, but there's a few illegal evolutions if that's the case, namely metang and vibrava who evolve at 20 and 35(!) respectively
This is what happens when you "fix" a map and don't replace the wild Pokémon.

I've fixed the Vibrava team and made it so that Dynamo's team is only a level 20 Metang. I don't know if that is too high a level though, so I might change it. What do you think?

Thanks a lot for your feedback man, it helps so much, especially because I know so little about balance and level curves. I really don't want this hack to be broken and when you point these things out helps makes sure it isn't.

You guys can now redownload with fixes.

Years
These are from the update before the one you just posted so some of these might be fixed:
Spoiler:

Also if it helps, I'm not that great with balance and level curves either. So you're not alone in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back