• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: FireRed 649 Patch

Hack save routine for extra saveable space? Would break compatibility with flashcarts

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Yes, Chaos Rush is working on one for Ruby. He is also the man that is making the sprites for this patch.
Actually, I believe he stopped working on it because he decided to work on Fire Red.

Also, I created a text document that labels almost ALL the changes done to the rom.
I didn't include changes to pointers because then the file would be double in size.
If anyone asks, I might upload it.

Nyndyll

PD : O Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2014
Also, I created a text document that labels almost ALL the changes done to the rom.I didn't include changes to pointers because then the file would be double in size.
If anyone asks, I might upload it.
I'd like to see it. Maybe it would help with me figuring it out.

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
I've fiddled around with A-Trainer and a hex editor to see if i could make a Trainer who uses the newer pokes. Turns out I can =).
Problem is i can't assign their pokes newer moves for a custom moveset. I've looked into the hex editor and correctly found where the information is stored, however I simply don't know the numbers for the moves.
Any help on the matter would be great.
TweenyTodd

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I've fiddled around with A-Trainer and a hex editor to see if i could make a Trainer who uses the newer pokes. Turns out I can =).
Problem is i can't assign their pokes newer moves for a custom moveset. I've looked into the hex editor and correctly found where the information is stored, however I simply don't know the numbers for the moves.
Any help on the matter would be great.
TweenyTodd

Couldn't you just use PGE amd edit the .ini file? You would need to know the offset of the new pokemon data, but by the above, it seems you do, and if not, hopefully Dragoon will post his document.

On the other hand, you could do it with a hex editor by going to Bulbapedia and looking at the list of moves, converting their numbers to hex and then inserting them. The last time I looked at move sets, I believe the format was [level learned-X2 (one byte)][move number in reverse hex order(two bytes)] but I could be wrong since it has been a while because.... Who uses a hex editor when you can use YAPE or PGE?:p

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I'd like to see it. Maybe it would help with me figuring it out.

Well, that is assuming that Jambo is okay with me actually doing it. If he doesn't mind, then maybe. But if he does...I don't know.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Well, that is assuming that Jambo is okay with me actually doing it. If he doesn't mind, then maybe. But if he does...I don't know.

I'm perfectly happy to let you do it. Why wouldn't I be?

On another note, sorry for the lack of updates, been extraordinarily busy with University coursework and general life. I've developed a Battle Script editor to help make creating the new moves easier, so hopefully that'll help when I do get around to working on it.

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
On the other hand, you could do it with a hex editor by going to Bulbapedia and looking at the list of moves, converting their numbers to hex and then inserting them.

This worked perfectly. I didn't know how A-Trainer arranged the moves, but now its obvious. Thank You.
TweenyTodd

Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2013
So, how far along is this project? Is there any chance of seeing hacks based off of it in the near future?

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
If you're looking for some sprites, I'd always be glad to lend a hand in making some! Just give me a PM or VM if you need any.

Also I was just wondering if you'd be able to give me some basic information about the new abilties and how you implemented them. It's something I'd like to do in the future but there simply isn't enough information out there about how to do it ie. offsets. I found your guide about extending the move table incredibly helpful and without it I'd have no idea at all really.

From what I do understand though, abilities require assembly as opposed to splicing move effects.

I understand completely if you don't have the time!

Thanks for hearing me out!

Nyndyll

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2014
So... I recently did exactly what we were told not to do and tried some wild battles with some pokemon after duosion. I never got an error from the game, instead of giving the correct sprite, I got another's sprite.
(Ex: Expecting to find a Genesect lvl. 100 but found a Genesect lvl. 100, but appeared as a wormadam.)

Note: This may not be new information, but I felt that it may interest some people that the game never crashed.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
So... I recently did exactly what we were told not to do and tried some wild battles with some pokemon after duosion. I never got an error from the game, instead of giving the correct sprite, I got another's sprite.
(Ex: Expecting to find a Genesect lvl. 100 but found a Genesect lvl. 100, but appeared as a wormadam.)

Note: This may not be new information, but I felt that it may interest some people that the game never crashed.
Bad example, as Genesect and Meloetta happen to have valid sprite data. I used their slots to insert the alternate sprites for Wormadam and Burmy. Most Pokémon above Amoonguss (I haven't updated that first post for ages) don't have sprites.

ETA: Hey guys, did a bunch of ASM work last night, and I got a bunch of new move effects working. The moves which I did are the moves with variable base power. The only moves I (knowingly) skipped over in that category were Natural Power and Fling.

Haven't updated the patch just yet, just wanted you guys to know development is still progressing, albeit slowly.

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Hey Jambo, are you still going to make that document that shows all the changes in the rom like you said you would? Because if you still are, then, my research on the 649 rom seems to be, for nothing.
But I don't know

Nyndyll

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2014
Bad example, as Genesect and Meloetta happen to have valid sprite data. I used their slots to insert the alternate sprites for Wormadam and Burmy. Most Pokémon above Amoonguss (I haven't updated that first post for ages) don't have sprites.
So they haves sprite data, it's just not their sprite?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Hey Jambo, are you still going to make that document that shows all the changes in the rom like you said you would? Because if you still are, then, my research on the 649 rom seems to be, for nothing.
But I don't know

Well, if you're doing it, then why should I bother to? I don't mean that in a lazy way, but you've gone to all that work of mapping the additional data, it'd be a shame not to let you release it. I tell you what. Ask me about the stuff you're unsure about, and I'll see if I can work out what it is for you.

Take this discussion to the VMs, though. We don't wanna be spamming up the thread with chat about that.

So they haves sprite data, it's just not their sprite?

Uh... If you mean Genesect and Meloetta, then yes. But the rest of the Pokémon in between Amoonguss and Meloetta (not inclusive) do not have sprites and could crash the game if you tried to battle them.

Nyndyll

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2014
If you mean Genesect and Meloetta, then yes. But the rest of the Pokémon in between Amoonguss and Meloetta (not inclusive) do not have sprites and could crash the game if you tried to battle them.

Okay. That answers my question.

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
Does Shaymin have a Sky Forme or is it something we should add ourselves?
Is the sprite even there?

Nyndyll

Years
  • Seen Apr 10, 2014
Does Shaymin have a Sky Forme or is it something we should add ourselves?
Is the sprite even there?

I was just about to ask this! How about giratina? Would we just give it the gisreous orb and it change forme?

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
Years
I was just about to ask this! How about giratina? Would we just give it the gisreous orb and it change forme?
Yes, but not in battle sprite. Also, you have to get in battle before it changes sprites in the party menu.

In other news, my game is glitching out. When a new poke like Dialga or Giratina is in my party, my game freezes in wild battle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back