• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Democrat says that women don't need guns; should just whistle instead if being raped

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I'm all for legalizing guns in every state AND ALLOW YOU TO HAVE IT CONCEALED AS LONG AS YOUR 21 OR OLDER. How of often you think a womens gonna get raped then? A gang member wont try to rape if they question that person having a gun. That's what they need to do. If guns were legal everywhere, the crime would go down. Chicago has the strictest gun laws but the most body count. Hmm, I wonder why. If any women 21 or older and is mentally stable to have a gun has a gun, you think they'll get raped? People wont risk it because they don't know if they have one or not. If guns become illegal period, it's gonna be like Chicago EVERYWHERE. Compton ain't nothin.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
I don't agree with his comments but I can understand where he is coming from.

There are a lot of cases where people, fearing for their lives, killed a innocent person, sometimes their own children.

One person shot at a car, numerous times, because it pulled into his driveway. He didn't go outside and talk to the people, he just grabbed his gun and started firing. He killed one person, the driver.

One person ended up shooting his own son - He seen something outside, and automatically pulled out his gun and started shooting. It's been a while since I read this so I can't remember all the details about it - I don't know if his son died as a result - but I do think that his sons age was 15.

One person killed his son right after he got the gun - He purchased the gun because he wanted something to protect his family with, and it went off when he got into his car, killing his 3 year old son who was most likely what he sought to protect.

His point is that, as people are now, a lot of them would rather instantly go for their gun, shooting to kill, just because they don't feel exactly right about a situation, rather then confirm that they are, in fact, in some form of danger. Attacking when you can't be sure if you are at risk isn't defensive - Some would argue that it is, and I pray to got that these people never get into a place of power where they could start a war - It's offensive. The only time that it's considered to be defensive action is when you are certain that you are at risk.

Edit - Although, Conservatives screwed themselves in this situation. Instead of confronting him about these comments they immediately started making jokes about it and relating it to other situations. Frankly, that they would try to claim the high ground in this case is disgusting - Because they decided to turn this into a game, making wild accusations, instead of confronting him and asking for clarification.

Compared to Todd Akins claims, Democrats could joke about it - He was direct enough in his statements and later stood by them.

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Okay then illegalize guns then see what happens. Most of those people aren't mentally stable to have a gun but had one. Let's say you wanna be a gang member (not sayin you are, using it as an example) and your initiation is to rape a woman. Would you risk trying to rape a woman if you don't know if he has a gun or not because it's legal to have them concealed? It's a life threatening risk dude, I sure of hell wouldn't risk it. Just wanna know, you against guns or something? If so then VM and I'll explain guns and everything which will rock your world.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Would you risk trying to rape a woman if you don't know if he has a gun

I think your getting your genders confused.

This thing thought is that, really, concealed carry doesn't make you safer. Compared to open carry, your actually more at risk because, as you say, no one knows if you are carrying a weapon.

If you've got your gun out in the open - As opposed to hidden somewhere, which also makes it harder to draw compared to open carry - then no one will mess with you.

I'm against conceled carry because of this - It doesn't make you any safer. Your still going to be just as at risk as anyone else. If you want to be safe, let people see the gun you are carrying. The fear, if or if not - won't keep people away. But the knowledge that this person is armed will.

As for gun control, my opinion is pretty much if you want to use military grade or military style weapons then go and join the military. Other then that, as long as we have regulations in place to keep them out of the hands of the mentally disturbed, then I'm fine with other guns.

Edit - As for banning guns, supply and demand plays apart here. Less supply, it's harder to get them and those still on market are going to be more expensive. While the cost wouldn't apply to criminals, the greatly reduced supply will - Less guns to go around means less people with guns, both criminals and citizens.

droomph

weeb
Years
This seems awfully targeted.

However, I think he has a point - maybe went a little too far, but still.

If you don't have a gun, it's easier to think clearer, because you have to actually defend yourself, by yourself, rather than have a machine take care of it for you.

Zet

Years
I'm all for legalizing guns in every state AND ALLOW YOU TO HAVE IT CONCEALED AS LONG AS YOUR 21 OR OLDER. How of often you think a womens gonna get raped then? A gang member wont try to rape if they question that person having a gun. That's what they need to do. If guns were legal everywhere, the crime would go down. Chicago has the strictest gun laws but the most body count. Hmm, I wonder why. If any women 21 or older and is mentally stable to have a gun has a gun, you think they'll get raped? People wont risk it because they don't know if they have one or not. If guns become illegal period, it's gonna be like Chicago EVERYWHERE. Compton ain't nothin.

I don't think you understand how rape works. If someone is raping a woman, she is usually pinned down. Please explain as to how she's going to use a gun to defend herself.

Even if guns are legal everywhere, there's still going to be illegal guns. America should stop being so paranoid that their government is going to go all Orwellian on its people. If you can't trust your government, why continue living in the country?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
This reminds me, women are more likely to be helped in a rape situation if they yell "Fire!" instead of "Rapist!" It's been psychologically proven, people are more willing to help if it affects them (like a fire) and are afraid for their own safety if they know a rapist is around the corner and are more likely to ignore it.

A whistle won't help in any way lol... What about a whistle would make people run to where she is?

Rape prevention and gun control are two different things, too. Instead of band-aiding the 'inevitable rape situation' with protection, how about teaching fellas not to rape ladies, hmm? That's a huge separate topic, but yeah.

Besides, most reported rape happens between people who know each other or at least are acquainted with each other. If you're going to a party with friends and acquaintances I don't think a gun is going to be the first thing you throw in your purse, either. Rape itself is a little bit of a touchy term with how it's applied, even if it's consensual at first, the girl (or guy, heck) could change their mind soon before or halfway through and if their partner doesn't comply, that's rape.

But, I'm assuming this guy is imagining the stereotypical girl alone at night gets forced into an alley gang-banger scenario.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years

The problem is that people, even perfectly sane people, don't use guns just to fight criminals...

I think proper investigation is the main weapon against rapists, but sadly it's not always easy. A rape leaves traumatic scars in a woman and there are very few women who are able to overcome the trauma without professional help and go to the police. With rape comes shame, and dirt. Admitting being a rape victim is one of the toughest things for a woman. So the authorities need to be collaborative and create an environment in which the woman feels less nervous and report the fact to the police. There are many rapists on the loose out there because the victims don't report the fact, but how can you force them to do it when there's a whole social stigma associated with it?

The only way to prevent rape is the same way you can prevent other crimes, by being extra careful when you're alone. Guns don't help, rapists don't attack prepared women, the same way thieves don't attack aware victims.

Years
It appears that the bat guano crazy rape comments are by no means confined to the GOP.

http://twitchy.com/2013/02/18/rep-j...guns-you-may-actually-not-be-at-risk-of-rape/
If you listen to the guy's words (and ignore the spin on the rest of the website and the spin book-ending the video itself) they aren't anywhere near the kind of crazy talk that is "legitimate rape". What the guy seems to be saying is that we should resort to deadly force when we feel threatened. The only real debatable point in what he's saying is whether carrying a gun makes you safer compared to the use of call boxes, whistles, safe zones, and so on. And since he was talking about situations in which nothing specific has happened, when someone just has a feeling of unease or danger, having options other than deadly force seems reasonable.

Nothing the guy said made it seem like he thought rape was a good thing (a.k.a. Paul Ryan's "method of conception" comment) or that women were the cause of rape (blaming the victim) or, really, anything comparable to the crazy rape comments we've had from Republican politicians.

So again, this is really just a question of whether having a gun makes you (and the people around you) safer. It's a reasonable thing to talk about.

Renpuu

Gengar !
Years
"Women should not carry guns on them. Imagine how many people will get shot up in a shoe sale."

Guns kill people. If you could ask yourself would you prefer to be raped and not have to live with killing someone or live with killing someone because they tried to rape you ?

Both could be difficult to live with. Depends if you want to class the solution as being sensible and using prevention methods which could prevent you from possible rape, theft or murder.
Examples "Don't walk home alone at night, always travel in groups, always get a taxi home with a reliable company (registered taxi) if it is late."

Criminal acts such as murder and rape are statistically higher (a large percentage which is over 50%) among victims who knew their attacker. They will be caught off guard and may not realize a change in that friend/family members behavior before the act happens so you may not even have the gun on you because you don't feel threatened in that certain environment.

The only way you can prevent situations happening is being sensible. Girls can get in a stupid attitude that they can get drunk on purpose and then expect the world to be a safety blanket for them to vomit, stumble around and not be taken advantage of. Just be smart, be safe and be sensible.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
You know what they say; a whistle a day keeps the rape away. Laughable.

BlazingLink

Sergeant Serious
Years
"Women should not carry guns on them. Imagine how many people will get shot up in a shoe sale."

Guns kill people. If you could ask yourself would you prefer to be raped and not have to live with killing someone or live with killing someone because they tried to rape you ?

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Knives don't kill people, no one argues that, but why with guns?

And if you killed someone in self defense, wouldn't you feel somewhat comfortable? Granted it's still a bad thing to do, cause killing is wrong and junk, but either way you'll have nightmares. Might as well defend yourself.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
ShinyUmbreon189 said:
I'm all for legalizing guns in every state AND ALLOW YOU TO HAVE IT CONCEALED AS LONG AS YOUR 21 OR OLDER.

i do agree with keeping guns legal, but just something you might find interesting, a large amount of rape victims are younger then 21, although, giving out guns to a bunch of 16 year old girls would never be a good idea. i can already see how easily it could be abused. i know some girls that have even threatened to hurt boys with weapons like baseball bats and forks, give them a gun, me and all my friends will be dead by the end of the day, and our murderers walk out of court free women because apparently we were going to rape them. maybe take some tests to make sure the people are sane and educated enough to use them? i don't really know all the procedure in place at the moment, but its obvious some people just shouldn't have guns.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Insomniac;7548654Just limit the guns that citizens may legally own to pistols said:
shotguns, rifles[/B], ect. Nothing powerful.

Hmmm I think giving shotguns to people is recipe for disaster... Those things HURT.

Years
Livewire said:
Be Objective & Balanced
When making threads in Other Chat & Discussions, you should be making threads with the intent of creating a nice, broad, and long discussion. Basically, you want to make successful and intelligent threads. Use facts, sources and scholarly material when making a discussion where that would be appropriate (In example, use crime rates in threads about crime, Carbon Dioxide Emission figures in a thread about climate change, etc) Given that OC&D deals heavily in politics, DO NOT post politically charged threads solely designed to bash or to defame another political entity. OC&D is not a landfill for your hyper-partisan political views. Keep that to your blog, or more preferably, keep it to yourself.

The American Politics Thread
Politics go here. Happy Posting!

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back