• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Saga - Pokémon DarkViolet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Yeah, but I'm still not giving Red a Pikachu, sorry. And I'm not dissing the manga, I think it looks really cool, and I would like to read it sometime... after all, according to Bulbapedia, Satoshi Tajiri said that the manga represents best the world he was trying to convey. Violence ftw! I guess that's because the main character actually received a Kanto starter from Prof. Oak, instead of a weak random mouse that belongs in a forest.
But even if the anime never existed, I still wouldn't give Red a Pikachu, because Pikachu = Weak = Suck.

Agreed, anyway that is the future, right, and the sequel, so should we discuss the current game? (And what are you giving him instead? Is he keeping Snorlax, as he replaced it with Lapras in HG/SS, didn't he?)

Now, have I said my opinion... I think what you are doing is beyond what is needed. In a good way. Most hackers strive for uniqueness, you are doing it by doing what Nintendo did, but better. Should be interesting (seeing as they built FR from the Ruby engine)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023

Agreed, anyway that is the future, right, and the sequel, so should we discuss the current game? (And what are you giving him instead? Is he keeping Snorlax, as he replaced it with Lapras in HG/SS, didn't he?)
To find out part of Red's team, download Beta 1, play as Green, and pick Squirtle.

Now, have I said my opinion... I think what you are doing is beyond what is needed. In a good way. Most hackers strive for uniqueness, you are doing it by doing what Nintendo did, but better. Should be interesting (seeing as they built FR from the Ruby engine)
lol, to tell you the truth, way back in October 09, this was going to be a FireRed hack. But then I decided that there has to be animated battle sprites and a Battle Frontier, since Emerald (which I'm renaming to Jade), Platinum, and HeartGold have one. Besides, HG/SS were built off of Platinum, so I guess it is interesting to see what a Kanto game built off of Emerald would have been like.

But I'm also doing Pokemon Saga to make the games kinda "connect". I noticed that FR/LG seems the most dated, for instance:

*Only 2 main characters. R/S/E has Brendan, May, and Wally. D/P/Pt has Lucas, Dawn, and Barry. HG/SS has Ethan, Lyra, and Emoguy. Unfortunately, FR/LG just had 2 main characters, since the opposite gender character wasn't in the game at all. That's why I chose to make a pseudo-rival in DarkViolet.

*Team Rocket doesn't have proper admins/executives/commanders (in FR/LG). Well, let's see, in R/S/E, the Magma Admins are Courtney and Tabitha. The Aqua Admins are Matt and Shelly. In D/P/Pt, the Galactic Commanders are Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and Charon. In HG/SS, they named the unamed executives from G/S/C, which became Proton, Petrel, Ariana, and Archer. In FR/LG, you fight no admins during the main storyline, and the only admins were those unamed ones in the Rocket Warehouse on Five Island, and they had similar teams to the final two executives in G/S/C (which were renamed to Ariana and Archer in HG/SS).

After finding that out, I realized that Ariana and Archer actually appear in FR/LG, but they were unamed. SO, I decided to include them in DarkViolet, but I actually gave them proper sprites, plus I'm going to have you fight them during the main Kanto portion of the storyline. Since the Hoenn games have 2 admins per team, I decided to only include Ariana and Archer in DarkViolet. Petrel and Proton will make cameo appearances as Grunts part of the Silph Co invasion.

Um... I guess I strayed from the topic too much lol

Years
Why does Ariana have a black outfit and a Gastly? Also why don't you give Misty a Wooper instead of a Horsea, since Lapras would seem too hard, and Quagsire is used by Misty three years later in HG/SS.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
The manga was made BEFORE the anime, therefore it should be Red's Pikachu = Pokemon Yellow = Anime = Rip off of the manga.

Actaully in the manga
Red starts with a poliwag
but catches the Pikachu

:)

I'm playing the beta as we speak
and i must say i'm impressed
It looks even better than the screenshots
Just a suggestion but since its gonna look like HGSS kanto
Shouldn't the MART have tables and cushions in Although u based the PC to look like R/B/G

Oh yes and

When the old man shows you how to catch Pokemon
Well...
Oops.png

Wally has a makeover xD

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Why does Ariana have a black outfit and a Gastly? Also why don't you give Misty a Wooper instead of a Horsea, since Lapras would seem too hard, and Quagsire is used by Misty three years later in HG/SS.
Ariana has a Gastly because she's also going use Haunter/Gengar when I do "Pokemon Saga - HeartGold". Misty doesn't use Wooper because Wooper is a really weak Pokemon, and I can easily change her team in "Pokemon Saga - HeartGold".

Also Ariana has a black outfit because I'm not going to make her look exactly the same three years prior. Afterall, if Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika, Koga, Sabrina, Blaine, Giovanni, and Blue all got outfit changes three years later, then I think it's okay to make Ariana look different three years before HG/SS.

Just saying, but Archer will also have a black outfit in DarkViolet. Besides, I don't know why, but IMO, the black outfit makes them look younger, which is a good thing.

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2019
Ohhh I thought this was kind of a manga hack. Either way it looks good. I was hoping to have RED travel to Johto. Butttt I guess I need to wait for that kind of hack. Also, I read that timeline garbage.. wtf?? I'm confused lol.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Ohhh I thought this was kind of a manga hack. Either way it looks good. I was hoping to have RED travel to Johto. Butttt I guess I need to wait for that kind of hack. Also, I read that timeline garbage.. wtf?? I'm confused lol.
Just wait until I post Pokemon Jade, then everything will make sense (hopefully).

EDIT: Oh, and
newscreen.png

Right now I'm trying to decide if it looks better with the FR/LG battle text box, or the default DarkViolet textbox. The reason why I'm considering using the default one is because the 4th gen games don't use a separate textbox for battles, so there's another thing that I might have to make consistent...

I'm also going to hack the HP boxes to look like the HG/SS ones. In Pokemon Jade, the HP boxes will look like the Platinum ones.

Originally I was just going to use the default Emerald battle backgrounds, but thanks to Frostbite posting new screenshots of his hack, I suddenly realized that it's possible for D/P/Pt/HG/SS backgrounds to actually look nice in a GBA hack, you just have to sort your colors carefully.

EDIT: Also, I'm going to raise Misty's levels a bit because some people say that she's kinda easy. Besides, it's really easy to train in this game thanks to the rematch system.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2019
I'm playing the beta right now. Whenever i go to a building in Viridian city, a tile appears over the building. Not sure if this has been reported yet.

EDIT: Same thing for Pewter City.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I'm playing the beta right now. Whenever i go to a building in Viridian city, a tile appears over the building. Not sure if this has been reported yet.

EDIT: Same thing for Pewter City.
I've already said that all door animations have been fixed for Beta 2.

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2019
Alright. I found hoot-hoot in viridian forest. Not sure if that is suppose to be there. Also to nit-pick, the text in the battle scenes and saving screens are over a space. I remember them being flush with the border. But that does not really matter. Other than that, this is all I can find is "wrong". Good job.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Alright. I found hoot-hoot in viridian forest. Not sure if that is suppose to be there. Also to nit-pick, the text in the battle scenes and saving screens are over a space. I remember them being flush with the border. But that does not really matter. Other than that, this is all I can find is "wrong". Good job.
Hoothoot is in DarkViolet's Kanto dex, I think I've posted this about 3 times by now:
Spoiler:

And I don't really know what you're talking about the textbox, the battle textbox is exactly the same as FR/LG's, and the textboxes in Ru/Sa, FR/LG, and Emerald float over empty space too.

If you see some Pokemon that you think don't belong there, please don't even mention it. I bet you guys didn't even notice the Machop in Route 3, the Poliwag in Route 4, the Vulpix & Ponyta in Route 5, the Sunkern on Route 24, the Igglybuff on Route 2 and 3, the Cleffa in Mt. Moon, yeah, like it or not, you're going to see a few Gen II Pokemon because they're in my Kanto dex, and you're going to see certain Gen I Pokemon in different places.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I noticed Machop. Thought it was normal- guess not.

Machop was origanlly Normal in R/B/G

But was moved to Fighting Type due to the amount of BlackBelt and Hikers that use them :)

(...someone's done his homework...) :D

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020

But was moved to Fighting Type due to the amount of BlackBelt and Hikers that use them :)

...What? I thought it was normal for Machop to be there, in RGBY he was Fighting Type. ALWAYS.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
...What? I thought it was normal for Machop to be there, in RGBY he was Fighting Type. ALWAYS.

It was NORMAL on Green :P

And i was wonderin
With Proton and Petrel be in the Game
Since there part of TEAM rocket :P

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
Years
I really love this, purely because of the Viridian Forest tiles.

In HG/SS, I would just roam there for hours just because I loved Viridian Forest so much in it. <3

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023

Wrong. Dude, I have the Japanese Green (I'll even take a picture if you don't believe me), and I can confirm that the wild Pokemon are EXACTLY the same as the American Blue version. That means no Machop on Route 3. And Machop wasn't in the Japanese Blue version either. And why does everyone pretend that the Japanese Red doesn't exist? And I think you totally missed the point too. The point was that Machop weren't in Route 3, and for some reason you read that as Machop being Normal type, wtf? Machop has always been fighting type, even in the Japanese Red & Green versions.

Also, Proton and Petrel will kinda be in the game. But you won't be able to tell, since I'm giving Proton's team a complete makeover in "Pokemon Saga - HeartGold". But there will be a Rocket Grunt in Silph Co. with six Koffings.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Sorry for double post, but here's something that I've been working on:
26691123.png

79677588.png

73799498.png

All three battle backgrounds originally used the same tileset in Pokemon Emerald, but I've figured out a way to make them use separate tilesets, but all 3 share a single tilemap. So yeah, basically I've turned one battle background into three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back