• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Started writing C# as a hobby, and... well...

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Something about writing C# and following through C# tutorials on MSDN started to make me think why the heck am I writing C++ even though I'm just barely three articles in.

I can't exactly point out why, but there's something about having a lot of things basically "already done for you" makes me feel... at home. Learning about things that you don't have to implement manually is... quite... refreshing.

What do you think of C#?

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Where do you get all of this damn free time while getting a degree in goddamn Singapore Terry. Seriously.

...Ahem. To answer the question, I believe that C# is by far the cleanest and most powerful Windows programming language available. It's easier and sharper than C++ (hence the '#'), and a lot less cumbersome and bulgy than VB.NET. And it's just perfect as a .NET language.

The only problem is, it doesn't compile into Windows natives, requiring you to either downgrade your application's framework version for compatibility or force your users to download the required version of the .NET framework.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
It's easier and sharper than C++ (hence the '#'),
Actually # is from (C++)++ =D And since 4 +s are too much to write, they abbreviated it as # =D

I personally love C#. It's the programming language I want to use in my job. It has the best features, allows more intuitive programming structures and... easiest desktop application interface =)
Really... the only drawback is Windows-only OS. But... who needs desktop apps on Linux, right? =D

And to end my post, I would like to use a joke :)

Do you know why Java developers need glasses?
Because they don't see sharp.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
C# is nice, but I prefer Python. However, I did end up using it for a quick program I needed to make at work yesterday to parse some XML.

However, I don't dislike C, even if you end up having to do a lot of things yourself. I do dislike C++, though.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
Am I the only one who doesn't like C#?
I mean, it has proven to be a nice Scripting Language in Unity3D, but as a Programming Language? No.
I'll explain why.

First of all, when I write something in C# in Visual Studio, it feels like a plastic toy, for some reason.
You can indeed make something easier and faster with it, but it feels like Visual Studio is Programming everything for me, instead of me putting time and effort to actually make something.
Then a side effect is, C# is limited to Windows, Windows Phone, and Xbox Platforms, unless I use Mono, which is even slower and even less nice.

I just prefer C++, it works on every single Platform (yes, even iPhones and Androids!), I don't require anybody to get a specific .NET Framework Versions, and Apps/Games written in C++ are much faster than Apps/Games written in C#.
Especially when making games, speed is very important.
But other than speed, C++ also provides an endless list of useable libraries (SDL, OpenGL, WWise, FMOD, just to name a few), while in C#, you'll most likely lean on XNA only.

The downsides of C++ are stuff like Memory Leaks, and it being to flexible (when working in a Team, it might be difficult to read someone else's Code).

I'm not saying C# is bad.
In fact, Java is the bad guy in the C-family.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
C# is a good language to use and powerful but I prefer C++ myself. As MKGirlism said, C++ works on all platforms, has a ton of libraries and is really powerful. It's also one of the most used languages in game developing so yeah I prefer it but C# is still nice.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I just prefer C++, it works on every single Platform (yes, even iPhones and Androids!), I don't require anybody to get a specific .NET Framework Versions, and Apps/Games written in C++ are much faster than Apps/Games written in C#.
Multiplatformity and speed are the only advantages of C++ over C#.
But most people wouldn't think of writing complicated game in C# =D
And you said it yourself ;) Memory leaks, diamond (multiple inheritance) as disadvantages overweight the advantages I believe.
Unless you are actually coding the game =D

In fact, Java is the bad guy in the C-family.
*thumbs up

C# is nice, but I prefer Python. However, I did end up using it for a quick program I needed to make at work yesterday to parse some XML.
Oh yea! I totally can hear you. C# is totally best for working with XML =)

Back