• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
for GBA does adding 4th and 5th generation Pokemon improve gameplay for you guys?

Yes, cause It'll be much cooler if you have them in a hack...

And some people may also say to you "Woah! A 4th/5th gen Pokemon on a 3rd Gen game this is awesome!" (Some say those...xD)

But the only downside are the moves and abilities, the moves can still be dealt with but, you'll have a tough time with picking the right animations... :)

Alignment

Revered with the stars
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I don't like the fifth generation very much, compares to gens I,II,III,IV. That being said, even in generation four I would only include Pokemon that build on the older ones. Example: Sneasel evolves to Weavile. That way Pokemon like Magmar aren't weak when comparing them to top tier fire Pokemon like Arcanine.

PokemonMasters

Always Remember Forever&After
Years
ok have a question. why do people like hacking firered, and making tools, tutorials etc when ruby hacks turn out to be more awesome? i mean seriously, ruby hacks here and on wah look the best, but idk why people still hack firered.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
ok have a question. why do people like hacking firered, and making tools, tutorials etc when ruby hacks turn out to be more awesome? i mean seriously, ruby hacks here and on wah look the best, but idk why people still hack firered.

I guess it really depends on your personal preference. I hack Fire Red because the first Pokemon game that I hacked was Fire Red. From there it just stuck.

For the looks, it just depends on the hacker's ability to create new graphics. In my opinion, the Fire Red's tiles and palettes look 100 times better than Ruby's. I guess it just so happens that most hackers with an eye for graphics just happen to be Ruby hackers.

PokemonMasters

Years
I guess it really depends on your personal preference. I hack Fire Red because the first Pokemon game that I hacked was Fire Red. From there it just stuck.

For the looks, it just depends on the hacker's ability to create new graphics. In my opinion, the Fire Red's tiles and palettes look 100 times better than Ruby's. I guess it just so happens that most hackers with an eye for graphics just happen to be Ruby hackers.
when i meant better, i didnt mean graphically. scripts as well. like silver legend. transparent textboxes? that was awesome. as for sprites too. most ruby hackers change mostly everything in their rom. but idk where they find their tutorials xD

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
when i meant better, i didnt mean graphically. scripts as well. like silver legend. transparent textboxes? that was awesome. as for sprites too. most ruby hackers change mostly everything in their rom. but idk where they find their tutorials xD

I guess it's just that some of the Ruby hackers have more knowledge on hacking. Although, this doesn't go for all Ruby hackers. You could do some pretty awesome stuff with Fire Red as well, but not many people really hack it. I'm sure that if we saw more hacks on Fire Red, we would see that both Ruby and Fire Red have their ups and downs. :)

PokemonMasters

Years
I guess it's just that some of the Ruby hackers have more knowledge on hacking. Although, this doesn't go for all Ruby hackers. You could do some pretty awesome stuff with Fire Red as well, but not many people really hack it. I'm sure that if we saw more hacks on Fire Red, we would see that both Ruby and Fire Red have their ups and downs. :)
Actually, more people hack Firered than Ruby. There are already tons of Firered Hacks here while Ruby having about 5-15 active hacks. Firered hackers actually have a better chance to make a better hack against Ruby Hackers since most resources like the Hacked engine, 649 Project and the animating titlescreen are for Firered and that most Rom Hacking Researchers research about Firered.

Renegade

Time for real life...
Years
Actually, more people hack Firered than Ruby. There are already tons of Firered Hacks here while Ruby having about 5-15 active hacks. Firered hackers actually have a better chance to make a better hack against Ruby Hackers since most resources like the Hacked engine, 649 Project and the animating titlescreen are for Firered and that most Rom Hacking Researchers research about Firered.

Well, I'm putting this down as a personal preference. I don't want to start a huge chain of comments. :)

Years
Hey guys. It's been a while since I was last on so I'm a bit behind on everything.
At the moment, I'm interested to know what is the latest development in Pokemon DS hacking.
Has there been any breakthroughs in hacking DS titles like Diamond/Pearl or is that still under research?

Mainly interested if it is now possible to write our own scripts and editing the maps.

Last edited:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I thought I'd bring this thread back from the depths and discuss a project of mine that I've decided to rekindle. Since early 2010 I've had a folder on my laptop dutifully named 'Pokémon Orange: Adventures in the Orange Islands' (a mouthful, I know). I'm sure you can all guess what is inside the folder; either way the answer is a barely edited BPRE ROM with a .docx file scattered with ideas for the hack. I always felt aggrieved that we were never given an official Pokémon game in the Orange Islands, I do give props to sergio for his valiant efforts creating Naranja though. However, Naranja really isn't my idea of an 'official Pokémon game' as it's based on the events that happen in the anime. In my eyes the anime is based upon events that happen in the 'official Pokémon games' (with the obvious exception of Pokémon Yellow). So, it's been one of my long-term, and now realistic, ambitions to create an un-official Pokémon game for the Orange Islands. I hope you're all still following what my idea is at this point in time, I'm glad if you are but if you're not here are some bullet points to sum up what I wish to do/create:

• do what GameFreak should have done prior to the Orange Islands anime and create an official game for it
  • use the original 251 Pokémon that were available at time of release
  • transfer any relevant events from the anime (gym leaders, Pokémon league etc.) into the game and scrap any ideas that would not make an official game (Ash's Lapras, the blimps, skill challenges in the gym etc.)
If you're still following me now I'd like to hear some ideas on the project in this thread and if you're willing to help me feel free to PM me or post in here as this will be an ambitious project.

(This game will be created on the BPRE system with mostly default tiles and scripting/mapping styles realistic of the 1st and 2nd generation games as I believe this is what GameFreak would have done if the game was officially created)

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
Well, I might as well say that I have successfully implemented the first ever map into a 5th generation ROM, and guess what ROM base it is? Pokémon Black Version 2! And it's been implemented as a test for when I start my ROM hack, Pokémon LavaRuby Version, which will be a hack of Pokémon Black Version 2 (IREO v1.0).

I thought I'd bring this thread back from the depths and discuss a project of mine that I've decided to rekindle. Since early 2010 I've had a folder on my laptop dutifully named 'Pokémon Orange: Adventures in the Orange Islands' (a mouthful, I know). I'm sure you can all guess what is inside the folder; either way the answer is a barely edited BPRE ROM with a .docx file scattered with ideas for the hack. I always felt aggrieved that we were never given an official Pokémon game in the Orange Islands, I do give props to sergio for his valiant efforts creating Naranja though. However, Naranja really isn't my idea of an 'official Pokémon game' as it's based on the events that happen in the anime. In my eyes the anime is based upon events that happen in the 'official Pokémon games' (with the obvious exception of Pokémon Yellow). So, it's been one of my long-term, and now realistic, ambitions to create an un-official Pokémon game for the Orange Islands. I hope you're all still following what my idea is at this point in time, I'm glad if you are but if you're not here are some bullet points to sum up what I wish to do/create:

• do what GameFreak should have done prior to the Orange Islands anime and create an official game for it
  • transfer any relevant events from the anime (gym leaders, Pokémon league etc.) into the game and scrap any ideas that would not make an official game (Ash's Lapras, the blimps, skill challenges in the gym etc.)
If you're still following me now I'd like to hear some ideas on the project in this thread and if you're willing to help me feel free to PM me or post in here as this will be an ambitious project.

(This game will be created on the BPRE system with mostly default tiles and scripting/mapping styles realistic of the 1st and 2nd generation games as I believe this is what GameFreak would have done if the game was officially created)

Now that is an excellent idea. Pokémon Orange Version should've been made by GameFreak, but they chose not to and have the Orange Islands as an anime exclusive region. I'm glad someone has the idea of making a ROM hack with Orange Islands based on the games that GameFreak made... but something that GameFreak would've not done. But having said that, doesn't the Orange Islands only have 4 gyms? Maybe you could add in another feature into the ROM hack in order to make up to the last 4 badges? Like having a Dark World or something like that, 'cause I don't think there has been any ROM hack that has had a parallel universe as far as I know of, maybe there has... but I don't know if there has.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Now that is an excellent idea. Pokémon Orange Version should've been made by GameFreak, but they chose not to and have the Orange Islands as an anime exclusive region. I'm glad someone has the idea of making a ROM hack with Orange Islands based on the games that GameFreak made... but something that GameFreak would've not done. But having said that, doesn't the Orange Islands only have 4 gyms? Maybe you could add in another feature into the ROM hack in order to make up to the last 4 badges? Like having a Dark World or something like that, 'cause I don't think there has been any ROM hack that has had a parallel universe as far as I know of, maybe there has... but I don't know if there has.
The problem with adding a 'Dark World' is that it makes no logical sense in the canon of the game. As much fun as it would be it really has no place in the Orange Islands. I'm not 100% sure what I'd add as after storyline gameplay but I'm definitely for anyone's ideas. Even though four gyms sounds like a short game it can easily be extended as long as the capability and imagination is there.

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
Hey everybody, I've been working on a new hack for awhile now, and it's beginning to see some progress being made. I'm thinking of putting it up in the Progressing Hacks section soon, but I'm not quite sure when at the moment. So I'm wondering, when would you consider it a good point in development to put up a hack for others to see?

Years
Hey everybody, I've been working on a new hack for awhile now, and it's beginning to see some progress being made. I'm thinking of putting it up in the Progressing Hacks section soon, but I'm not quite sure when at the moment. So I'm wondering, when would you consider it a good point in development to put up a hack for others to see?

I say it depends on how many scripts you have in each town + on each route.
If you are using a lot of scripts in each town and each route, then put up the first beta when you have got to the second town and update it from there.
If you don't use a lot of scripts, then stick a beta up when you've done the third town and release an update for every town completed (Unless bug fixes are required)

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
I say it depends on how many scripts you have in each town + on each route.
If you are using a lot of scripts in each town and each route, then put up the first beta when you have got to the second town and update it from there.
If you don't use a lot of scripts, then stick a beta up when you've done the third town and release an update for every town completed (Unless bug fixes are required)

Thanks. Now that you mention it, I think I'm going to go back and add some more scripts into what I have so far. I have a feeling that it will make my hack a lot better.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2013
Hi, I'm new here, and I'm a bit intimidated by all the things that have to be done in order to make a rom hack. Does anyone have some good pointers, advice or things to avoid?

Years
Hi, I'm new here, and I'm a bit intimidated by all the things that have to be done in order to make a rom hack. Does anyone have some good pointers, advice or things to avoid?

Best advice anyone could give you is find a tutorial and go for it.
PokeHacking is very simple once you've learnt the basics.

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013

Okay, I think I just found the perfect excuse to come back to Pokerom hacking. Your idea and desire for such a game is indeed justified, and I support the cause. Although details about the Orange Islands arc are a bit blur in my memory, I really liked it all and will delve into it thoroughly, then PM you anything I might come up with.

The game length problem can be solved, I guess. One sidequest here, one urban disturbance there, and four gyms can still get to be canon, if the player covers them in twice the distance of the usual game. What I'm actually curious about is the main character; is it going to be a completely new pair of kids, or someone familiar? (though sticking to the Gamefreak quo crosses out the latter option)

Anyway, my point is I've been away from hacking for some time, and after my own hack took a slope down the drain multiple times I needed some new kind of motivation. Well, hello there, new kind.

Years
  • Seen Feb 8, 2013
While I'm still sorting out a lot of stuff, I have an idea I'd like to try. I don't know if I can do it, but here it goes:

Arceus, seeing the different ways humans have exploited pokemon and gone after his legendary kin, has decided the time has come to destroy the human race and start all over. However, Mew argues that for every bad human, there is a good one as well. That humanity needs a chance to prove themselves. Arceus decides to allow Mew the chance to chose a human she thinks is best.

This human is the player character. Here are my main goals for the hack:

1) To create a new region and bring in pokemon from all five generations. This would include a series of brand new characters.

2) Involve a series of challenges in addition to the gyms and elite - or maybe replace them all together.

3) Create a captivating and unique story line and game experience.

This will take quite a while to develop, and is still in it's barest stages... just sharing an idea here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back