• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nail Biting

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Are you a frequent nail biter? If so, when do you do it most often? How long have you been doing it? Have you tried to break the habit?

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Yes, I do every day, 99% of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it at first, after a while 10 minutes later I'm thinking to myself "Why am I doing this in public, embarrassing" - not sure how it started, but I know that it has to be over 15 years now.

I tried to quit but I just seem that I cannot, as I mentioned, I just do it without thinking. Tried many suggestions to quit, they only work for about two hours and back to nail biting all over again.

I bite my finger nails at least 5 times an hour, only when I'm awake.

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
Yes, I do every day, 99% of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it at first, after a while 10 minutes later I'm thinking to myself "Why am I doing this in public, embarrassing" - not sure how it started, but I know that it has to be over 15 years now.

I tried to quit but I just seem that I cannot, as I mentioned, I just do it without thinking. Tried many suggestions to quit, they only work for about two hours and back to nail biting all over again.

I bite my finger nails at least 5 times an hour, only when I'm awake.

Summed it up for me I think, I tried looking up suggestions but none of them are permanent, I eventually found out that apparently it's an OCD, ironically I was biting my nails when I came across this thread xD

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Nope. I don't bite my nails. I do, however, tear them when they are long enough for me to do so. Therefore, my nails are always uneven and short, especially if I rip them too close to the edge of my finger.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I used to bite my nails but i think it came about because i needed them to be perfectly smooth and even at all times. I guess its sorta obsessive in a sense. I stopped when i began filing my nails instead of clipping them and i always carry a filer around inmy handbag in case a nail begins to bother me.

Lokiepie

ooh...Cake!
Years
I got through stages, I bite my nails for a bit then I stop and my nails grow, then I start again. Usually do it when thinking or exams are coming up :P like now

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
I don't bite my nails. However, when they tear, I rip them off the rest of the way. It really grosses out my family.

Years
I bit my nails a lot when I was younger, it was a really bad habit, then I just stopped and got out of the habit and I almost never bite my nails anymore.

Years
I'm a horrible, horrible nail biter. Have been ever since I was a kid. Unfortunately, most attempts I've made to stop it have ended in failure, since it's something I do both when I'm nervous and when I'm bored. :( So yeah.

Years
I got through stages, I bite my nails for a bit then I stop and my nails grow, then I start again. Usually do it when thinking or exams are coming up :P like now

That's called "nail farming" :cheeky:. I'be bitten my nails when I was younger, but I lost that bad habit. Now I have one that's even worse: eat my cuticles...

Years
Ever since I was young, I absolutely hated nail clippers, so I would just bite off my fingernails instead. I still do it to this day, not as a habit, but just as an alternative to nail clippers.

Years
I used to but stopped years ago. It's kind of a disgusting habit to think about for me so that eventually put me off from biting completely. D:

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I used to, but into high school I realized it was kind of nasty so I just clip on the a somewhat routinely basis now.

Years
I don't. Typically I don't touch my nails until they're so long I have to clip them.

I pick at the hangnails? on the sides instead. >___>

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
Unfortunately, yes.
I used to get incredibly stressed when my various illnesses would act up (primarily pain from the Lung issues & a minor bout with severe tinnitus, as well as long-term Synaesthesia.)

At one point, I would actually chew most of the flesh off of my right-hand, before realizing I was even doing it.

I still bite my nails on occasion, but covering them with cayenne & lemon juice usually keeps me away for a few days.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I used to bite my nails a lot when I was a little girl. Then I kinda stopped when I started middle school. At that time I only bite my nails when I get really nervous. Afterwards I broke the habit and used nail clippers instead.

Back