• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do you think Red is overpowered?

Do you think Red is overpowered?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • No.

Votes: 97 84.3%

• Total voters

RudeStyle

Artangels
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
>final boss
>still doesn't evolve Pikachu

Spoiler:

The final boss was too easy, gamefreak should have just made the opponents pokemon all level 100

POCKYM0NSTAH

Shoop
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2019
It was too easy but it was very exciting because it was like trying to beat something that you have created and that creation was, at the time, the very best like no one ever was. I actually tried making it last as long as possible and put the volume on its highest to state how epic it was. But it was still easy considering i had 3 lvl 90s and 3 lvl 100s

Years
The only challenge I've found from Red was his Snorlax. So I don't think he's overpowered but he is quite challenging.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
With the right team, the right moves, and a good amount of training, he honestly isn't as hard as people make him out to be. But I think the challenge he provides is justified. People may find him to be unnecessarily hard, but the fact is, the Pokemon series was supposed to end after the second generation, and thus they had to make a worthy final trainer. It wouldn't really make sense for the remakes to make him weaker, especially not with all the new and strong Pokemon introduced since the originals, which might've even made him easier, but iirc, they raised the levels of his Pokemon. And apparently all of his Pokemon are perfect 31 IV's, however I haven't been able to find that anywhere, so that might not be true.

But yeah, he might be overpowered, but I think it's best that way. It may require a whole lot of training, but as the original final boss of the entire series, it makes sense for his difficulty to be a notch above everyone else, and it just makes for a more fun battle. I honestly think it'd be more fun if his team could kinda rotate, so he had several different Pokemon everytime, as it'd fit better in with his character (the slogan is gotta catch 'em all after all :p), so that one wouldn't be able to make a team beforehand with typing coverage, making it more of a skill-based fight :p But then again, that might be a bit too hard.

JoPe

The Ghost Masta!
Years
If you train enought, he's not overpower.

Having a good team also helps a lot

7highstraight

Lucky 7
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 18, 2015
The main challenge is just getting near his levels, especially for someone like me who dislikes grinding. Besides his level, his team is pretty average.

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
I wish I could say yes, but that is sadly impossible.

Right when I could, I went straight to Red and beat him no sweat. I didn't even have to level grind to win... I was pretty sad at this as I expected a much harder battle then what I was given. Red is not only the final trainer, but THE Pokemon Master before you beat him. It saddens me to see that the Pokemon MASTER is so easily beaten.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
In Diamond/Pearl, the rival's final team ended up being more powerful than Red in GSC. In HGSS, they bumped Red up, to once again being the strongest NPC to face against. I would have been upset if they didn't let Red reclaim this placing.

In a game which allows you to grind up to lv100, I wish there were more opponents to challenge at levels that isn't just "press A, press A, press A", i.e. grinding.

EDIT: Also, no credits appear after beating Red. Really, the entire Kanto thing is just a sidequest, not required. It makes the path to lv100 more enjoyable than just beating the Elite 4 a thousand times. My team was around lv80 when I beat him, so this just gave me a milestone before hitting lv100.

flufflepuff

Fluffle Puff
Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2013
Wasn't tough for me! Especially his Pikachu. One earth power from my Nidoqueen and it fainted.

Years
I was nevous my first time round' with him, so i grinded ALLOT. and i got my pokemon to lvl 80 each, and it was a breeze. ~blu

Catcher6

Forio's Finest
Years
Well ,he has always been the best trainer in the game ,without lv100 pokemon so I think he wasn't too strong!
Also ,IMO ,when you defeat Snorlax ,the job is almost done when you have the right pokemon (for example use a Typhlosion against Venusaur)

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
He was a good match at the end, but he wasn't overpowered... I liked fighting him! :D

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Honestly I think he was; for the level of Pokemon that we could only grind against it was quite unfair. Level 50 was around the highest and that's unfair imo; if either Red was lowered by 10 levels or the Pokemon in the area were increased by 9-14 levels then it would be fair.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Wasn't tough for me! Especially his Pikachu. One earth power from my Nidoqueen and it fainted.
I remember using a Nidoqueen too, to beat his Pikachu. xD

Honestly I think he was; for the level of Pokemon that we could only grind against it was quite unfair. Level 50 was around the highest and that's unfair imo; if either Red was lowered by 10 levels or the Pokemon in the area were increased by 9-14 levels then it would be fair.
I remember using the gymleader rechallenges in HGSS to grind to beat Red. Yeah, they were set around at lv50ish; it would have been nice if, after beating their rematches a couple of times, they would give you the option to move up the difficulty (without topping lv70.)

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I remember using the gymleader rechallenges in HGSS to grind to beat Red.

I'v been grinding for like 4 days on HeartGold using this method! After beating Red, I'm trading the Pokemon I used to my SoulSilver so I can defeat him there as well... I can't wait to get this over and done with so I can move on to the weather trio! haha

Mackenzie

Say Somethin'!
Years
I don't think so. I can only imagine red as that one trainer who finished kanto quest, went to train in johto, then back to kanto, and finally ended up in mt. silver. I know it's quite a lot of training, but that's my only explanation for his high leveled pokemon. Steven in emerald, also served a similar purpose. and Thankfully, like all mentioned above, his pikachu didn't carry surf.

Wyntilda

[span="font-family: 'times new roman'; letter-spac
Years
Not at all. He was a good and honest challenge, and I liked that.

I always thought he was cute, too. ^_^

Years
Not at all! He's strong enough for a final boss and I think more of the Pokemon games need to follow that route. It's a nice way to get us to train and keep interested in the game past the Elite Four and final rival battle.

Back