• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zurenriri

Has What Grass-Types Crave
Years
'Aight. Couldn't find this anywhere but before I get to it, take this into notice...
I am totally new here. I only know this site exists because of my YouTube addiction. I first found out what an Emulator was in 2000 (LIKE OMG YOU CAN PLAY MARIO ON TEH COMPUTER?!?!!), how to use one in 2002 (lol ^.^"), and got into game hacking around late '04/early '05. So I'm not new at hacking, just new at ROM hacking. Started ROM hacking on *gasp!* February 24, 2007!! NO WAI!!!

Okay, tools I'm using:
Pokemon Blue US Rom
Hexposure Text Editor v0.44b
---Since Hexposure is in DOS, and I'm on WinXP, I'm using DOSBox v0.65
KiGB Emulator
PokeMap v1.2 (not that deep yet)

My question concerns the text editor. It took me way too long just to figure out how to use the stupid thing, then finally, I start messing with the names, changed OAK to BOB, SODA POP to RED BULL (lol), etc. and items, changed MASTER BALL to TEHROX BALL, POKE FLUTE to POKE BANJO (lmao), and when I got down to trading and game linking, I realized I made a nasty mistake that would have totally ruined the ROM, luckily I had saved earlier, so I just exited Hexposure, exited DOSBox, re-opened DOSBox, *sigh* re-opened Hexposure, to find that everything was back to its original non-hacked form. Once done screaming "WTF?!?!" at the top of my lungs, I ran a test. Only editing the name of the pokemon BULBASAUR, saving it, but leaving Hexposure open, I booted up KiGB, ran the rom, to find, *gasp!* no changes!

What I want to know is, why isn't Hexposure saving my work? What am I doing wrong? *BEG!!* (sry)

EDIT: Since I'll forget to check this regularly, if you have an answer, drop me an e-mail at [email protected] or [email protected]

Oh, and, please don't ask me to use Thingy instead of Hexposure. Sorry but about the only thing I have actually memorized in hexadecimal is the alphabet. I.E., I don't speak Hex.

Thank you for your concern.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
Zurenriri said:
'Aight. Couldn't find this anywhere but before I get to it, take this into notice...
I am totally new here. I only know this site exists because of my YouTube addiction. I first found out what an Emulator was in 2000 (LIKE OMG YOU CAN PLAY MARIO ON TEH COMPUTER?!?!!), how to use one in 2002 (lol ^.^"), and got into game hacking around late '04/early '05. So I'm not new at hacking, just new at ROM hacking. Started ROM hacking on *gasp!* February 24, 2007!! NO WAI!!!

Okay, tools I'm using:
Pokemon Blue US Rom
Hexposure Text Editor v0.44b
---Since Hexposure is in DOS, and I'm on WinXP, I'm using DOSBox v0.65
KiGB Emulator
PokeMap v1.2 (not that deep yet)

My question concerns the text editor. It took me way too long just to figure out how to use the stupid thing, then finally, I start messing with the names, changed OAK to BOB, SODA POP to RED BULL (lol), etc. and items, changed MASTER BALL to TEHROX BALL, POKE FLUTE to POKE BANJO (lmao), and when I got down to trading and game linking, I realized I made a nasty mistake that would have totally ruined the ROM, luckily I had saved earlier, so I just exited Hexposure, exited DOSBox, re-opened DOSBox, *sigh* re-opened Hexposure, to find that everything was back to its original non-hacked form. Once done screaming "WTF?!?!" at the top of my lungs, I ran a test. Only editing the name of the pokemon BULBASAUR, saving it, but leaving Hexposure open, I booted up KiGB, ran the rom, to find, *gasp!* no changes!

What I want to know is, why isn't Hexposure saving my work? What am I doing wrong? *BEG!!* (sry)

EDIT: Since I'll forget to check this regularly, if you have an answer, drop me an e-mail at [email protected] or [email protected]

Oh, and, please don't ask me to use Thingy instead of Hexposure. Sorry but about the only thing I have actually memorized in hexadecimal is the alphabet. I.E., I don't speak Hex.

Thank you for your concern.

Maybe it could be your rom and not hex, check the properties of your rom and see if read-only is ticked or not.

You could use Transhexlation, it works for me really well.

Overclocked

Paired with......Myself
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 1, 2007
Make sure you walk into a house or something so the map reloads, otherwise you won't see the changes.

Zurenriri

Has What Grass-Types Crave
Years
Maybe it could be your rom and not hex, check the properties of your rom and see if read-only is ticked or not.

You could use Transhexlation, it works for me really well.

Okay, I'll give Translhextion* a try.
And you didn't mention whether I want read-only to be checked or not. It IS checked. So, un-check it or not?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
Zurenriri said:
Okay, I'll give Translhextion* a try.
And you didn't mention whether I want read-only to be checked or not. It IS checked. So, un-check it or not?

You would want it un-checked.

Swimmer♂

Glub! Glub! Glub!
Years
Thx glitchfinder, i know u said tht i probably couldn't add new maps labels for ruby, well i tried sumthin on elitemap, which then changed the label of my map on advancemap to a blank one. so i typed in the name of my new map but it got an error:
"list index out of bounds (-1)"
does anyone know what this means and can it be fixed?
Furthermore, does anyone know if there is a way to add more map labels on ruby (i came so very close)
Thankyou!

O.G. Duke

a.k.a OmegaGroudon
Years
  • Seen May 18, 2016
A few question:
Can I get the offset of Prof.Birch(Ruby) for Pokepic?
My Tilemolester has a problem, I download it and extract. Inside that has another zip file call tm...Then I extract again, inside that has nothing to open to edit raw file...

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
The "tm.jar" file isn't for extracting.
If you have Java installed reinstall WinRAR/WinZIp and don't choose ".jar" files to be able to be extracted with it.

Swimmer♂

Glub! Glub! Glub!
Years
does have or know of a good badge editing tutorial?
i am using tilemolester (but could swap to TLP) have found the badges but i don't know how to use it at all. i need to change the coluours of the badges and the edit them. any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Tentachu

Movie Making Expert
Years
How do I make the colours of a custom sprite match their actual colours in the game because when I try to import them, they always look off-colour and bad.

O.G. Duke

a.k.a OmegaGroudon
Years
  • Seen May 18, 2016
Profesor Birch offset for pokepic!
I really need it! Someone please...

Another question:
I want to import my new edited back picture of trainer by replacing branden...But when I click import and click my picture file, it appear:
Image not indexed.

Last edited:

shirokiryuu

L'Arc Fanatic
Years
Okay, this has been bugging me...

I'm new at this, and I'm trying to replace Oak's sprite with my own. I read the tutorials on here and I tried to use both RSBall and unLZ.

I have two problems:
1. In RSBall, it won't let me import the bitmap
2. In unLZ the sprites (from the original game) look screwed up (rectangular badly pixelated boxes of bright color)

I opened the same rom with TLP to look at it, and it had the same badly colored boxes.

I thought, well, maybe my ROM is corrupted...

But it did the same thing for a ROM that I never have touched before... and it did the same thing...

Here is an example of the boxes http://i18.tinypic.com/2rotlp4.jpg

Also, on a different note, how do you index pictures?

Last edited:

O.G. Duke

a.k.a OmegaGroudon
Years
  • Seen May 18, 2016
Well, why I can't insert my new pokemon into my Ruby rom?
I tried using pokepic but the colour of back pic and normal pic always can't be the same,
it always messed up, like this:
untitledtx4.png

(I try import Darkrai by replacing mew)

Then I try using UNLZ gba but same result...why? Can someone help?

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
How do I make the colours of a custom sprite match their actual colours in the game because when I try to import them, they always look off-colour and bad.

You have to index the sprite and it has to be the same size as the one you're replacing.

Okay, this has been bugging me...

I'm new at this, and I'm trying to replace Oak's sprite with my own. I read the tutorials on here and I tried to use both RSBall and unLZ.

I have two problems:
1. In RSBall, it won't let me import the bitmap
2. In unLZ the sprites (from the original game) look screwed up (rectangular badly pixelated boxes of bright color)

I opened the same rom with TLP to look at it, and it had the same badly colored boxes.

I thought, well, maybe my ROM is corrupted...

But it did the same thing for a ROM that I never have touched before... and it did the same thing...

Here is an example of the boxes http://i18.tinypic.com/2rotlp4.jpg

Also, on a different note, how do you index pictures?

You can index sprites with many programs such as IrfanView.
TLP and unLZ have boxes like that. You mustn't edit them.
It's not only those boxes, there are the sprites too.

Well, why I can't insert my new pokemon into my Ruby rom?
I tried using pokepic but the colour of back pic and normal pic always can't be the same,
it always messed up, like this:
untitledtx4.png

(I try import Darkrai by replacing mew)

Then I try using UNLZ gba but same result...why? Can someone help?

Maybe the Darkrai sprite's size is bigger than Mew's and that's why it won't work.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
Years
I've changed my ROM files so that they automatically open with VBA, but now my ScriptEd won't compile correctly. When I select a ROM with ScriptEd, It just says the name. It doesn't say ".gba:" so I add that in and script as normal and it doesn't compile correctly. There's no error message and I know I'm saving to the correct ROM it just doesn't go in. Is there any way to put my ROMs back to just being a file that Windows doesn't know what to open with? If not, is there any way I can adapt ScriptEd to work correctly?

Blaziken626

Pokemon Black Shadow
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Is there a program other than Amplifier that can change the TMs/HMs a Pokemon can learn? I'm having some problems installing Amplifier.

shirokiryuu

L'Arc Fanatic
Years
^^; Thanks Christos, I found out the indexing option in The Gimp

and after clicking forever I found the sprites

EDIT: I have a question, If I want to edit the introduction scene with Professor Oak, do i edit his trainer sprite, or is there another sprite for that scene?

Last edited:

Swimmer♂

Glub! Glub! Glub!
Years
Ok, i 've figured out how to edit the badges, but i was wondering in anyone one could definitely tell me if i could add new labels (in ruby) or not. (i am aware that it has been answered but there was not a definite "yes" or "no") If anyone knows how plz help me out!
Thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back