• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon TCG Story?

SetheKing

"Ignore him, for he...Yeah, he's dumb."
Years
Okay, I had this idea the other day for a story focusing on the Pokemon TCG, but I don't know how well it would be received or what direction to take it in. My basic idea is a Pokemon TCG story, similar to what they did for Yu-Gi-Oh! when they made it a TV show. I've played the Pokemon TCG on the Gameboy and loved the idea of a story focusing solely on the TCG, and I've been toying with the idea of putting it in a high school setting of some sort. I have a few ideas in my head of where to take the plot and its characters, but I was wondering what everyone else thought. Do you guys think it should have a slightly supernatural feel to it, or be somewhat realistic? If you have any comments, suggestions, or ideas, feel free to post and leave them here. I'd love to get some feedback on this little 'plot bunny' of mine (If that's the correct term for whatever this is).

Altomare

Purupuru!
Years
Well, yugioh always had gods or "magic" at some point, like the egyptian gods and earthbound immortals (for those roles, you could use the legendaries and they must be used by the bad guys), so adding some supernatural stuff is not so bad.
So, it's gonna be a "saving the world through card games" plot like yugioh or something simple like a tournament plot?

SetheKing

Years
It's most likely gonna start off with a Tournament Arc of sorts, and possibly try to build up to some big "save the world" thing (If I decide to go that route, that is). And yeah, using the Legendaries as the "stand-ins" for the God Cards had crossed my mind, but I'm still debating that.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
I'm just going with the more supernatural aspect, as the realistic aspect would be, to put it bluntly, a bit boring since it would just be a bunch of kids playing with cards and 'competing' with each other. Truth be told that's not much of a story. I did read a series about a card game/board game and how it linked a faerie world with the real world while the cards served as information, so they were like a cheap version of the PokeDex and a helluva lot more inconvenient. In any case, a supernatural feel would give the story more room to work with versus a realistic approach, which I think would be incredibly hard to come up with a decent plot for. I don't know which you prefer, but I'd just say go with whatever gives you more ideas, because then you'll have enough space to do anything. With that, I think a fantasy-mix would work better because there are a lot more things that could happen in that sort of universe while a straight TCG would be just TCG and would seem, to me, more thematic or symbolic.

Kinda depends on what you want to go for and what you can produce. That's a terrible way to put it, but eh.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
Years
Hmmm, just like Yu Gi Oh is well the only way to make a story based of Pokemon TCG,more interesting. In reality, in my opinion, its bores me to death when it comes to TCG. Until something exciting happens. But if you want to do a Yu Gi Oh style to it throw in some flavor like idk, implement Beyblades (bit pieces) or Bakugans or something, Chaotic (you turn into a Pokemon, in a virtual world)

You can also have the story take place in the real world , but in the gaming world, its a whole other world like Chaotic, Bakugan, Digimon, Metabots, Monster Ranchers. Or Cardcaptors...well its complicated to explain and its a really old anime, that I don't think anyone even remembers.

SetheKing

Years
I was thinking that it could be something similar to how they dueled in Duelist Kingdom, with some form of mechanical dueling field or something. Though that thing from Battle Spirits you linked me to would probably work too.

And I'll probably go with the supernatural aspect. Psyanic brought up some good points, and I think he's right. An ordinary TCG story would probably get boring after a while.

Altomare

Purupuru!
Years
I was thinking that it could be something similar to how they dueled in Duelist Kingdom, with some form of mechanical dueling field or something. Though that thing from Battle Spirits you linked me to would probably work too.

And I'll probably go with the supernatural aspect. Psyanic brought up some good points, and I think he's right. An ordinary TCG story would probably get boring after a while.

The good thing about that other dimension from battle spirit is, you don't need to find a dueling field machine, you can just go to the alternate dimension.
Although tabletop/using the machine may still exist, for the tournaments and all that.
It could be that the protagonists thought it was an ordinary TCG then they encounter the alternate dimension where the cards unleash their real power (sounds like bakugan much ? :) )

SetheKing

Years
The good thing about that other dimension from battle spirit is, you don't need to find a dueling field machine, you can just go to the alternate dimension.
Although tabletop/using the machine may still exist, for the tournaments and all that.
It could be that the protagonists thought it was an ordinary TCG then they encounter the alternate dimension where the cards unleash their real power (sounds like bakugan much ? :) )

I just got a brilliant idea. For the first few chapters or so, they will use a tabletop/machine to play the game, and then, as a result of a certain event (Which would serve as a sort of plot point), they would shift to the alternate dimension for a brief time, and return when it was over, which would lead into part of the 'Tournament Arc' I mentioned earlier.

Altomare

Purupuru!
Years
Not a bad idea.
You could have something similar to the gym leaders as well, with decks specializing in the types.
Will the story have characters from the games/anime using decks with their pokemon (for example Cyrus with Probopass and Magnezone -basing from the manga here, so forgive me if he does not have said pokemon-) or with different characters entirely?

SetheKing

Years
This story will focus on entirely new characters, and will have an original plot entirely different from those of the mainstream games. And yeah, I'm gonna include certain characters whose decks specialize in certain Types.

Back