• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Ultimate Water Monotype Challenge: Silver Version
5/8

So, I made my way through to Cinnabar Island, where I found out that Strength is required to get to Chuck, which is a pretty bad design choice but whatever. I backtracked to Olivine and wound up battling Jasmine out of order. She wasn't really hard it just took a while. Oh and I caught a Chinchou which is now a Lanturn.

Team:
Spoiler:

Fairy Monotype Challenge: Y
7/8

Okay so I know I said I'd update when I caught up with my previous attempt, but I sort of started plowing through it, so now I'm just after catching Yveltal. I've been running a tighter more focused party so as to make the process faster. So this is the first monotype where I only used 4 Pokemon.

Team:
Spoiler:

Updated through Post #2781

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2021
Hello, I was just posting to let you know that my username changed from Samurott01 to Feraligatr13. Also, I've decided to just continue Gen II Poison like I should have done instead of doing all of Gen I first. Currently I'm about 2 badges in, and I've got a Spinarak, Zubat, Tentacool, Bellsprout, and Gastly.

Blaki'

I wonder what's for dinner :3
Years
Spoiler:

Normal Ultimate Monotype Challenge - Kanto (6/8)

Did I already tell you I love the 60% chance of paralyzing of Thunder with Blissey ? :3 I've been to the Power Plant to gather the Thunder TM and then I headed to Saffron City. Sabrina was not that hard, because of the training in Silph Co. Now, I just need to wait for Meteor Mash on Clefairy, and I'll evolve her.

My team :
Spoiler:

========================================================

Spoiler:

Normal Ultimate Monotype Challenge - Kanto (7/8)

Blaine was very easy thanks to my Snorlax with Thick Fat and Surf. Nothing more to say, I just trained my pokémon so they have the same level. And my Clefairy evolved =)

My team :
Spoiler:

========================================================

Spoiler:

Normal Ultimate Monotype Challenge - Kanto (8/8)

After Blaine, I decided to go to the Sevii Islands to train my pokemons to a decent level for the Elite 4. So I defeated every trrainer in there, and then go back to Viridian City to get my final badge. Giovanni was pretty weak and couldn't stand Suika's Surf, aaaaAAAA's Ice Beam and Stella's Meteor Mash :3 The end of Kanto is close now.

My team :
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
Update:

I defeated Proton after a tedious battle who cost me like 13 max potions.
I also defeated Ariana one floor above. I went to heal my poks and BAM! 436 Full Heals!!!!!
I beat Archer!!!! Then Giovanni apeared and ambushed me!...AND I LOST. So they made me battle Archer AGAIN. And i beat him again. Then i saved the second Giovanni came back.

Update:

I defeated Proton after a tedious battle who cost me like 13 max potions.
I also defeated Ariana one floor above. I went to heal my poks and BAM! 436 Full Heals!!!!!
I beat Archer!!!! Then Giovanni apeared and ambushed me!...AND I LOST. So they made me battle Archer AGAIN. And i beat him again. Then i saved the second Giovanni came back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
Update

• Arrived in Cerulean City and decided to take on Misty, the trainers were easy but Starmie was a challenge.
  • I tried a second time but water pulse and it's confusion was just annoying.
  • I bought a few potions and got lucky on my 3rd attempt, thanks to Hyper Fang I got the Cascade Badge.
  • Went north to Route 24 and easily defeated my rival, his Bulbasaur was no match for Pidgeotto.
  • The nugget bridge was fun but easy, I went east to Bill's House and got the S.S. Ticket.
  • Returned to Cerulean City and defeated the Rocket at the back of the Burgled house and taught Dig to Raticate.
  • Headed down to Route 5 and caught a Meowth, gained her a few more levels.
  • Went through the tunnel and defeated the trainers on route 6, using mostly Meowth.
  • Arrived in Vermilion City and went and got the bike voucher but didn't bother going back to Cerulean City to use it.
  • Went on the S.S. Anne defeated all trainers and my rival and got Cut from the captain, taught it to Meowth.
  • Next stop was the Gym, rather easy due to my Raticate knowing Dig, but Surge's Raichu was annoying with it's double team but in the end I got the Thunder Badge.
  • Taught Shock Wave to Meowth...

The Team

Meowth, - L26
Ability: Pickup
Moves: Cut, Faint Attack, Bite, Shock Wave

Pidgeotto, - L27
Ability: Keen Eye
Moves: Tackle, Sand-Attack, Wing Attack, Quick Attack

Raticate, ♂ - L27
Ability: Run Away
Moves: Dig, Thief, Quick Attack, Hyper Fang[/SPOILER]

Last edited:

ScubaDouch3

Ice-Type Lover
Years
Kanto finished, here's an update:

Ultimate Ground-Mono Challenge: Yellow

- Beat Blue and entered the Hall of Fame
jXkpG5S.png
XmJ0wQH.png

- Final team:
-----Ashnard---------------Elincia-----------------Shrewd--------
9It6iNl.png
fV6Z2K9.png
xLPiCHV.png

-----Tectonic-----------------Doug--------------------Stu---------
2QmhWJq.png
AOSDJ19.png
qJfgRaN.png

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On to Crystal.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Here's my update for Yellow! It proved to be a little more difficult than Red and Blue. Blaine was easy, and I managed to defeat Giovanni single-handedly with Pikachu after six Double Teams. Magneton single-handedly dealt with Lorelei, Agatha, Lance, and Bruno's 3 fighting types (which were taken out by Jolteon), so Magneton would have to by MVP for the Elite Four. However, my rival proved to be much more difficult. Eventually I was able to get in 6 Double Teams with Pikachu against Sandslash, and with Pikachu's extremely high evasion I went ahead and used Pikachu to deal with the rest of the Champion's team! I'm either going to work on completing Gold (Flying UMC) or Silver (Electric UMC) next.

- Traveled to Cinnabar Island
- Got the Secret Key in the Pokemon Mansion
- Defeated Blaine
- Flew to Viridian City
- Defeated Giovanni
- Defeated my rival
- Traveled through the Badge Checkpoint
- Traveled through Victory Road
- Arrived at Indigo Plateau
- Defeated Lorelei
- Defeated Bruno
- Defeated Agatha
- Defeated Lance
- Defeated the Champion, my rival
Electric UMC Kanto: Complete!

Team:
pikachu.png
Pikachu / lv59 / Thunderbolt, Double Team, Body Slam, Thunder
magneton.png
Magneton / lv61 / Thunderbolt, Thunder, Swift, Thunder Wave
jolteon.png
Jolteon / lv58 / Thunder, Skull Bash, Double Kick, Pin Missile

Type:
electric.png

✔Pokemon Yellow Version
pikachu.png
magneton.png
jolteon.png

Pokemon Silver Version
ampharos.png
magneton.png
lanturn.png
electabuzz.png
(8/16)
Pokemon ?? Version
Pokemon ?? Version
Pokemon ?? Version

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
This will be an update on one of my Monotype runs and also a new sign-up.

Finished my Fighting Mono run on my Y version, will edit this post when I get around to looking at my Hall of Fame to see time/levels XD

Username: A Dyl To Remember
Type: Fighting
Challenge: Ultimate
Game(s): FR, SoulSilver, Emerald, Platinum, Black, Y(finished)

Decided that while i'm away for Christmas, I'd keep myself entertained by working on an Ultimate Mono :D

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Well, I decided to tackle Silver next! I only have 3 more started challenges after this: Gold, Emerald (both Flying) and Dragon on Y. In my last update for Silver, I had defeated the E4, traveled to Kanto's Power Plant, did the Power Plant/Magnet Train sidequests, and caught an Electabuzz. I then went back to Johto to train my team up to level 50, so that is where this update starts off. I didn't have any trouble with the Kanto Gym Leaders, and I decided to try to take on Red without grinding, and defeated him on the first try! Pikachu, Espeon, and Venusaur, went down pretty easily, and then there was Snorlax.. I ended up having to stall through all of its attacks until it only had PP left for Amnesia before slowly whittling down its HP with Lanturn's Take Down. Then Charizard went down without a fight, and I was able to take care of Blastoise even though his powered-up Surfs were taking a toll on my team.

- Traveled back to Kanto
- Defeated Lt. Surge
- Traveled to Saffron City
- Defeated Sabrina
- Traveled to Celadon City
- Defeated Erika
- Traveled to Fuchsia City
- Defeated Janine
- Traveled to Lavender Town
- Got the Kanto Radio card
- Traveled to Cerulean City
- Found Misty on Route 25
- Defeated Misty
- Flew to Vermilion City
- Woke the Snorlax
- Went through Diglett's Cave to Route 2
- Arrived in Pewter City
- Defeated Brock
- Traveled to Viridian City
- Traveled to Pallet Town
- Spoke to Blue
- Traveled to the Seafoam Islands
- Defeated Blaine
- Flew to Viridian City
- Defeated Blue
- Flew to Pallet Town
- Traveled to Mt. Silver
- Defeated Red
Electric UMC Johto: Complete!

Team:
ampharos.png
Ampharos / lv56 / ThunderPunch, Fire Punch, Strength, Thunder Wave
magneton.png
Magneton / lv56 / Rain Dance, Thunder, Swift, Return
lanturn.png
Lanturn / lv56 / Surf, Spark, Take Down, Confuse Ray
electabuzz.png
Electabuzz / lv56 / Thunderbolt, Psychic, Fire Punch, Ice Punch

Type:
electric.png

✔Pokemon Yellow Version
pikachu.png
magneton.png
jolteon.png

✔Pokemon Silver Version
ampharos.png
magneton.png
lanturn.png
electabuzz.png

Pokemon ?? Version
Pokemon ?? Version
Pokemon ?? Version

Blaki'

Years
Spoiler:

As you can see, I finished Kanto, Elite 4 was not that hard, except for Bruno and his mighty Fighting Pokemons :<
Now, the next version will be Heartgold =) Merry Christmas everybody, and see you on the next update ^^

The final team :

Spoiler:

Ramsie

Currently in Unova
Years
UMC Grass: Johto Update #1
+Started game
+Got PERCY the Chikorita
+Did Mystery Egg quest and fought rivbal.
+Search for a female Bellsprout while leveling up PERCY
+Eventually gave up and caught GROVER the Bellsprout
+Trained them both up to lv. 16 and PERCY evolved.
+Defeated Falkner and got the Zephyr Badge.
+Traveled to Azalea Town and did Slowpoke Well quest. GROVER also evolved at some point.
+Defeated Bugsy and got the Hive Badge.
+Defeated rival and made it through Ilex Forest.
+Defeated Whitney of Goldenrod and got the Plain Badge.
+Went to Ecruteak and did Burned Tower quest.
+Battled Morty twice and lost. PERCY evolved one more time.
+Decided I needed another team member and did some research.
+Caught JASON the Exeggcute.

Currently: Training JASON to be on same levels before taking on Morty again.

Team:
Spr_2c_102.gif

JASON the Exeggcute Lv.13
Barrage, Hypnosis, Leech Seed, and Rollout
Spr_2c_070.gif

GROVER the Weepinbell Lv.30
Vine Whip, Acid, Wrap, and Sleep Powder
Spr_2c_154.gif

PERCY the Meganium Lv. 32
Body Slam, Synthesis, Reflect, Razor Leaf

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Here is my first (and last) update for my Flying run on Emerald. I started this a while ago on an emulator on my phone, so I've been playing it just when I can for a few months now, which is why I haven't done any updates as well. I didn't really run in to much difficulty at any point in the challenge. I may try to get a picture up too, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to easily get it off of my phone.

Team:
pelipper.png
Pelipper / lv55 / Surf, Ice Beam, Wing Attack, Shock Wave
swellow.png
Swellow / lv54 / Aerial Ace, Double Team, Fly, Return
crobat.png
Crobat / lv54 / Wing Attack, Return, Confuse Ray, Poison Fang
altaria.png
Altaria / lv54 / Dragon Claw, Peck, Earthquake, Take Down

Type:
flying.png

✔Pokemon Blue Version
charizard.png
pidgeot.png
butterfree.png
gyarados.png

Pokemon Gold Version
noctowl.png
crobat.png
scyther.png
gyaradoss.png
(8/16)
✔Pokemon Emerald Version
pelipper.png
swellow.png
crobat.png
altaria.png

Pokemon Platinum Version
Pokemon Black Version

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
Update:

-Defeat
-Deafeat
-Deafeat...
-Got critted at last pokemon.....

Should i just give up? Clearly my team isn't strong enough to beat him,BUT,i don't have anything to do. If i lose and run i would have to beat Archer again and then Giovanni will ambush me again and i'll lose again. If i won't run and stay,i'm stuck in a loop of losses. Advice anyone?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Fairy Monotype Challenge: Y
8/8

Wulfric took a couple of tries, but once I taught Togekiss Flamethrower it was a breeze. Then came the Elite 4. 3 of them were pretty easy, but Wikstrom was a real pain. I wound up using Power Up Punch spam to get Azumarill strong enough, but then lost to a crit. I pulled it together though and won the match.

Then came the Champion, and boy was she hard! Most of her team was simple enough, but Mega Gardevoir was intense! In the end I beat her with my own Gardevoir at 10 levels lower, which was no problem once I got the Calm Minds running.

So I finished the challenge finally, and not a moment too soon as Pokemon Bank will be out soon.

Pics:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Just a quick reminder that today is the last day to redeem the One year anniversary event!

Blaki'

Years
Another question, I wanted to have a Kangaskhan with the Poke Walker, but I'm playing on a linker (and emulator for screenshot) so I can't use this. Can I hack in one ?

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
UPDATE:

Y - Forgot to bring my Y with me so I can't look and see time/level of my Pokemon when I entered HOF, but my team was Chesnaught, Hawlucha, Medicham, Scrafty, Lucario, and Toxicroak.

Platinum(3/8) - Started the game on my bus ride last night, picked Chimchar as my starter and quickly rushed to train up to level 14 so I would have Mach Punch. I then proceeded to wipe the floor with Roark, 1/8. Caught myself a Machop in Route 7 and then went on with the story. Easily managed to beat Gardenia with my Monferno, 2/8. Proceeded to train up some MORE and then managed to beat Fantina quite easily with Monferno, even though her Haunter hurt me a lot! 3/8. Caught myself a Ralts while on Route 208, and he is now a Kirlia just waiting for that Dawn Stone to find him. I also traded with myself in order to evolve my Machoke into Machamp.

Current team:

Flappy the Kirlia, Level 20
- Confusion
- Double Team
- Teleport
- Lucky Chant

Choppy the Machamp, Level 30
- Revenge
- Leer
- Vital Throw
- Karate Chop

Punchy the Monferno, Level 30
- Fury Swipes
- Flame Wheel
- Grass Knot
- Mach Punch

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Now for my final update on Gold! Getting the 8 Kanto badges was a breeze, but once I had defeated Blue and the E4 a second time my team was only at level 54. So I spent the last few hours grinding them to level 59 and used a Rare Candy on 3 to get them to level 60. I expected Red to be really difficult this time, as I had very limited coverage and weaker attacks in general (besides Gyarados). However, Red was extremely easy. Scyther 2HKO'd Pikachu, Gyarados 2HKO'd Charizard, and Espeon went down relatively easily. Then Red sent out Snorlax, who I was mainly afraid of. However, Noctowl used Return 3 times before being knocked out (which left Snorlax with one fourth it's HP), and I was sure it was about to use Rest.. But nope, I sent in Gyarados, used Hyper Beam, and it fainted. Blastoise and Venusaur went down easily to Gyarados' Thrash and Scyther's Wing Attack.

- Got the S.S. Ticket
- Boarded the S.S. Aqua
- Arrived in Vermilion City
- Traveled to Saffron City
- Defeated Sabrina
- Traveled to Celadon City
- Defeated Erika
- Traveled to Fuchsia City
- Defeated Janine
- Traveled to Lavender Town
- Traveled to Cerulean City
- Did the Power Plant side-quest
- Traveled to Vermilion City
- Got the Copycat's Pokedoll
- Returned the Pokedoll for the Magnet Train Pass
- Flew to Lavender Town
- Got the Kanto Radio card
- Flew to Cerulean City
- Found Misty on Route 25
- Defeated Misty
- Flew to Vermilion City
- Defeated Lt. Surge
- Woke the Snorlax
- Went through Diglett's Cave to Route 2
- Arrived in Pewter City
- Defeated Brock
- Traveled to Viridian City
- Traveled to Pallet Town
- Spoke to Blue
- Traveled to the Seafoam Islands
- Defeated Blaine
- Flew to Indigo Plateau
- Defeated the Elite 4 and Champion
- Flew to Viridian City
- Defeated Blue
- Flew to Pallet Town
- Traveled to Mt. Silver
- Defeated Red
Ghost UMC Johto: Complete!

Team:
noctowl.png
Noctowl / lv59 / Return, Fly, Confusion, Take Down
crobat.png
Crobat / lv60 / Bite, Wing Attack, Leech Life, Confuse Ray
scyther.png
Scyther / lv60 / Slash, Swords Dance, Wing Attack, Double Team
gyaradoss.png
Gyarados / lv60 / Surf. Hyper Beam, DragonBreath, Thrash

Type:
flying.png

✔Pokemon Blue Version
charizard.png
pidgeot.png
butterfree.png
gyarados.png

✔Pokemon Gold Version
noctowl.png
crobat.png
scyther.png
gyaradoss.png

✔Pokemon Emerald Version
pelipper.png
swellow.png
crobat.png
altaria.png

Pokemon ?? Version
Pokemon ?? Version

Now that I am done with that, I am finally done with the (18 I believe) monotypes I had started last June/July! For now I'm going to focus on updating my Gen 5 standard ultimates on Pokemon Y, as well as working on my started ultimates (Electric, Flying, and Steel)! Also, Merry Christmas everyone!

ScubaDouch3

Ice-Type Lover
Years
Just wanted to say I got a copy of Y for christmas today so I'll be starting a Fairy challenge.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Lycanroc

under the sun
Years
I'm going to actually go for a Monotype challenge for every type.

Spoiler:

So yeah... wish me luck. I'll probably be doing multiple of these at the same time. (so expect two or more different updates in the same post)​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back