• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Who Is The Hardest gym Leader In HG/SS?

Who Is The Hardest Gym Leader Of HG/SS?

• Falkner

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Bugsy

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • Whitney

Votes: 139 49.3%
  • Morty

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Chuck

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Jasmine

Votes: 16 5.7%
  • Bryce

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Claire

Votes: 77 27.3%
  • Other (Kanto)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2017
Whitney was a pain in Gold/Silver, I didn't find her to be that bad in HG/SS though, so my vote goes to Clair as my in-game teams usually do not have much to cope with Dragons.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I expected Whitney to be really difficult in HGSS because I always had problems against her in GSC but... I whizzed past her. o_O; And I got lucky on pretty much everyone else, too. I think the only person who gave me any problems was Bugsy because my team wasn't well-equipped to deal with bug-types and her stupid Scyther and its U-Turn kept messing me up. >:O

Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2012
Whitney was the reason I didn't finish a Gen II game way back in the day.

But at this point, it wasn't too bad. I just crippled the Miltank by paralyzing it and getting off as many smokescreens on it as I could. It died eventually.

The only leader that actually gave me trouble (i.e. took more than one try) was Jasmine simply because I did that battle WAY earlier than I should have. If there were actually gym trainers in there, I would have realized...

Seiren

Playing the Spirit's Tune~
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 7, 2013
I actually struggled with Falkner in HeartGold, because his Pidgeotto had Roost, and choices for Pokemon at that point were highly limited. It was an annoying case of back and forth when I got to him initially.

I expected to struggle with Whitney, but my Kadabra decimated her Miltank with Psybeam, which was just as well; she drove me insane in the original second generation. I didn't really have any troubles with any of the others~

Zerrah.

Mauling with Ursaring
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 15, 2018
Whitney. WHITNEY. WHITNEY.
No matter if it's in the originals, or in HGSS, her Miltank would own me constantly. Because of that dang Milk Drink or whatever that heals itself, I couldn't even whittle her health down a little at a time. I despise Miltank. >_>

pokemonranger109

Jirachi Know-It-All From Birth
Years
As for me, since I am doing the one pokemon challange, my Typhlosion had no problem defeating Whitney since the only pokemon to train was him.I say Clair, Typhlosion took out Gyarados since he's over leveled at 50,but Kingdra was Super fast so, I equiped a quick Claw him. I used Flame thrower five times to bring it down. The rest was a piece of cake.

Rocket-Dock

Dragonite Trainer
Years
(For me)the hardest gymleader: Claire, I didnt have a Ice pokemon, but i did catched a Swinub.
But he was too weak.
But clair is alsoo the coolest gymleader, because she loves dragon pokemons, likes I do

Years
Well, I almost always have a Haunter in my party for Whitney so with Curse and Hypnosis she wasnt too bad and I may only lose once and its a short battle but Clare is no cake walk. its a long, drawn out battle with pokemon that have little no no weakness and can psuedo boltbeam at you
but if Post game also counts, Blue's Post game battle is no push over

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
I have 7 of 8 GYMs beat, take a guess.

As for all this WHITNEY stigma, just use a well trained GEODUDE and he ROLLOUT is crap.

Years
Personally i didnt find any of them hard but once u complete the game and challenge red he gives u a run 4 ur money literally and i used a lv100 blastoise and his pikachu is lv75!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Claire or Whitney. Claire was strong because of dragons and yeah, while Whitney wasn't as bad as in the original Johto games, she was still pretty strong. :x

Years
Claire or Whitney. Claire was strong because of dragons and yeah, while Whitney wasn't as bad as in the original Johto games, she was still pretty strong. :x

Oh god Whitney, I went into total rageface against her. That Miltank annoyed me so much it made me train my own.

I was so lucky against Clair, I beat her with an underleveled Dewgong.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
Years
I dunno, I always learned to Paralyze that Miltank, so I never had too much of a problem with Whitney. I never, ever had a file without a Mareep, so I always had a Flaffy but the time I got to her, which was able to take whatever she had before I could land a T-wave.

Claire...she was harder in the original because she had Surf. Now that she has Hydro Pump, it's easy to drain her out of PP before she starts using weak stuff, so she WAS the worst, now it's just a matter of stalling.

I found the Kanto ones harder, like Sabrina. I swear her Alakazam never misses Focus Blast.

DLL

Years
I've just fought Whitney in my Heart Gold playthrough and really did struggle... I didn't have a fighting type so that Miltank was an absolute pain, I did manage to smokescreen it a few times with Quilava but it still seemed to hit a lot.

Normally, I use Heracross which makes her a complete joke once it has brick break.

Still voting for Whitney though, I just generally think at that point in the game she makes it really difficult.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
Years
Personally I've always disliked the Geodude family so I never used one. T-wave pretty much ends her Miltank though. Para-hax always kicks in before Rollout becomes an issue.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
^With the right Nature his ATK and DEF is a force to be reckoned with.

Back to the topic, since I've beaten all 16 Gyms now. My choice of toughest Gym Leader is a tie between Claire and Lt. Surge, his RAICHU's speed was ri-DONK-ulous!

Back