• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen brb riding my torchic

Are HMs a Thing of the Past?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MJT1990

Unhatched Suicune Egg
Years
Oh. Em. GEE! The damn bike will finally be gone!!! Im tired of that thing I hate bikes!(My worst accidents have happened on them :P) Im so glad it will be replaced by the skates! It was about time! I think they did that for the girl im pokemon diamond but whatevs. Anywho for those of you who say that the Skates are faster then the Running Shoes but slower than the bike. I'm fairly certain you would be wrong. Cuz think. How would the ANIMATED bike look in 3d going so fast? Stupidly hilarious right? Thats why I think they woulda had to slow the bike down anyway. :P And the riding thing. Isnt that supposedly only on the goat that goes.?

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I hope we are able to ride more than just GoGoat. I mean, the fact we can ride a pokemon at all is epic! But I would like to be able to ride different pokemon, at least bigger pokemon (poor Torchic!). It would be awesome if they made some kind of HM for riding pokemon.

And mine carts FTW! That would be really fun. The more transport options the better. I'd like to see a unicycle but I doubt that will happen x3

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
Years
I really hope you could ride like a rapadash around I hope there's a list of pokemon but it looks like a mini game or something for that city I hope they do bring bring back the follow feature so I can walk with my raichu

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
well i saw another picture of a character in the car. so i'm wondering if we will be able to ride trains, cars, and planes possibly? it wouldn't surprise me if they added more pokemon we can ride since we able to walk with different pokemon. we could have a parade of pokemon following us xD

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
As far as I've heard in a rumor which most of you probably have already heard of... which was that Gogoat is the only Pokémon in which you can ride around... only in Lumiose City.

It sounds pretty accurate to me, but I wish riding other Pokémon was a reality as well... it would bring me back memories of Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
As far as I've heard in a rumor which most of you probably have already heard of... which was that Gogoat is the only Pokémon in which you can ride around... only in Lumiose City.

It sounds pretty accurate to me, but I wish riding other Pokémon was a reality as well... it would bring me back memories of Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs.
This still sums up my opinion, and I also hinted at such earlier. Nohing has shown other Pokémon being ridden, and also not outside of Lumiose City. There might be another animal taxi somewhere, but overall, riding is far away.

Cyclone

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Yup, pretty much like I've been saying from the beginning, it definitely appears that the riding capabilities are locked into Lumiose City and no where else. I'm actually kind of happy about that to be honest, since I wouldn't want to have to base part of my team around having the capabilities to ride something if that was something to replace the Bike.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
In the previous generations we did have Pokemon that we could ride with, in the sea that is. Everyone who knew Surf could travel their Trainer over water. As Gogoat is well known for traveling trainers he'll probably get a certain HM move which reflects on this.

MJT1990

Unhatched Suicune Egg
Years
Well at the E3 roundtable event shizz I saw the opening cinematic of the game and I saw the player riding a Rhyhorn and Gogoat was running around faster than in the previews.
Oh yeah, and I know this isnt part of the topic but whaddaya think about air battles?

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Riding Pokemon - The End of HMs?

There are Riding Pokemon in XY. From what has been said, It look like you don't ride pokemon in your party, you rent pokemon to ride around a certain area.

Considering that a Riding Pokemon might be used to push boulders, climb waterfalls, cross whirlpools, etc. Do you thing HMs will be removed?

There are some HMs that you can't leave home without. Like Fly and Surf. But some, like Waterfall, are only used once in the whole game. (RSE)

Riding Pokemon could be used to Replace Such HMs that are Rarely used, like whirlpool, dive, waterfall, and others.

Surf and Fly would still be used by your own pokemon, I think, because that would be the fastest, most convenient way to access such Commonly used HMs.

Years
Sounds good to me. This makes a lot of sense, though I'm kinda bugged by all this stripping away of tediousness that I've grown used to. They said there would be much fewer HM's from before, and 2/5 hits that mark enough.

Guy

just a guy
Years
While I do believe using Pokémon's field abilities such as riding on them can possibly be a step towards the extinction of HMs, I also believe we can take this discussion into another thread.

/merge

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
There are Riding Pokemon in XY. From what has been said, It look like you don't ride pokemon in your party, you rent pokemon to ride around a certain area.

Considering that a Riding Pokemon might be used to push boulders, climb waterfalls, cross whirlpools, etc. Do you thing HMs will be removed?

There are some HMs that you can't leave home without. Like Fly and Surf. But some, like Waterfall, are only used once in the whole game. (RSE)

Riding Pokemon could be used to Replace Such HMs that are Rarely used, like whirlpool, dive, waterfall, and others.

Surf and Fly would still be used by your own pokemon, I think, because that would be the fastest, most convenient way to access such Commonly used HMs.

Surf and Fly wouldn't be exempt from this if its rental. They can provide you a Pokemon to cross over a body of water (how else can you use Waterfall or Whirlpool if you aren't riding a rental surfing Pokemon in order to access the area?

We still don't know if it was literally meant that we'd just get something to ride on or if we can ride on ones we managed to catch at a later point in time. If anything Riding can be a new HM as well since otherwise it takes away from all other HMs.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Maybe i got it wrong, but apparently you can only ride certain provided Pokemon in certain areas? So maybe they don't replace nor require HMs, they are just an extra?
Maybe you need them to cross over to a certain new area, maybe they help you reach hidden items? who knows

Back