• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
Hmm... consistent themes in my SUs are mostly irrelevant factors such as the characters being female and human(oid). Otherwise they're all very different.

TiTaN.JuStIn

Fighting the army of Stress...
Years
Hey guys, we're awfully quiet here, so I wanna post a question to everyone. I was looking at my old SUs for RPs past and present. I notice that many of my characters have overlapping traits. Overall, there is a certain "villainy" theme to all of them, which I'd like to think has become a trademark of mine. My question to you is this:

Take a look at some of your old SUs. Is there any recurring or overlapping traits that are prevalent in your characters? It could be a name you constantly use, or a certain consistent appearance they have, or a certain personality type? Perhaps something a bit more subtle?

Thanks for your time.

Hmmm... I just noticed that all of my character have something common with me. Plus, if you combined every character I made, I guarantee you that is me in RL. And I just noticed one more HORRIBLE thing: all of my characters have a bit of Gary-Stu in 'em. (*facepalm)

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Take a look at some of your old SUs. Is there any recurring or overlapping traits that are prevalent in your characters? It could be a name you constantly use, or a certain consistent appearance they have, or a certain personality type? Perhaps something a bit more subtle?

Well, they all seem to have similar traits. Not like I, or really anyone, can help it. We make characters based off of what we know, so a few, or all, of them will be similar. Although, I have so many freaking characters that I have a rather diverse group
Shy/loners/dark (Luna, Kris, Shun, etc.)
friendly/optimistic/outgoing (Sierra/Krystal/Solissa, etc.)
genius/@$$hole/neutral (Nel, Sam, Angel, etc.)
I hev 'em all. :P Although, I don't keep either side void of good/bad characteristics, because that's dull and unrealistic, so they all have their moments. :3

So, I like to play those kind of characters. What I don't like to play as is timid, depressed or very dark characters, since I find that those can't really step up and take charge or talk to people in a way I'd be comfortable with. I find them boring to play as, basically ^^'

Yet you loved the very dark, angryface Shun-man I made in *Foreigners. :P I suppose reading about characters you don't like to play as can still be just as entertaining, though~

Legend

Kingslayer
Years

I cannot find a particular theme/trait/aspect in most of my SUs, if only because I often try to mix up the qualities of my characters for the sake of variety. If anything, most of my characters are generally calm, sometimes witty or sarcastic, and more often than not oppose authority (with the exception of my character in Atlantis). I generally make my characters free spirits who are generally carefree and start from there. Then I try to see how it can be interpreted in different ways with the hopes that I can warp the character into something more. It is how I made my trio of characters: Isaac, Lyle and Raymond. Each character represents how free or independent thought can define an individual.

tl;dr: All my characters are male and most are relatively carefree. They are "happy" characters most of the time. Unless they are alcoholic.

EDIT: Woo! 800 posts. Only took me 4 years.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024

Yet you loved the very dark, angryface Shun-man I made in *Foreigners. :P I suppose reading about characters you don't like to play as can still be just as entertaining, though~
That is absolutely right. I kind of envy those who can play darker or more silent characters well.

EDIT:

Congratulations!

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years

Remembering and reading mine, I tend to make characters that are amoral, and very few of them would run into a battle without even a slight strategy. (And "strategy" does not mean "bum rush the dude.")

Nakuzami

Years
That is absolutely right. I kind of envy those who can play darker or more silent characters well.

D'aww, I can feel the love. <3 ;3

xD

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh, I thinks me might hev question idea?

How do you generally create your characters? How many characters do you create?

i.e. thought process on making characters and how many characters do you have? Do you enjoy making multiple characters, a new one for each RP? Or do you stick with one character throughout? <- I liek that wording, so here's the question(s):

How do you generally create your characters? Do you enjoy making multiple characters, a new one for each roleplay? Or do you stick with one character throughout?

Karma Police

Arrest this man
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 7, 2023

D'aww, I can feel the love. <3 ;3

xD

Oooooooooooooooooooooooh, I thinks me might hev question idea?

How do you generally create your characters? How many characters do you create?

i.e. thought process on making characters and how many characters do you have? Do you enjoy making multiple characters, a new one for each RP? Or do you stick with one character throughout? <- I liek that wording, so here's the question(s):

How do you generally create your characters? Do you enjoy making multiple characters, a new one for each roleplay? Or do you stick with one character throughout?

Weeeeeellll... generally it's a new one each time. I rarely stick to the same character (Though they may have same names). And usually I mix up stuff in the personality sections. I like having rather misfits in RPs, so my characters will often follow a rather different personality than what a character really should be playing that profession xD

Saturated Hue

acrobatic effing pirouette.
Years
Generally I scroll through my drawing book (which is a normal book in every sense of the word, lined paper and all) to find someone that fits into the RP's setting. I tend to doodle a lot in Math and English, so there're plenty to pick from. I use the drawing as a base to type out the Appearance, and by the time I'm done with that I'd probably have a pretty good idea for the Personality.

...Failing that, I jot down the character's key traits and go from there. :P

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I usually make new characters, but by now I've made soooo many so I pick a little from old characters and make new ones from them. Or I re-use characters, actually, and just change a little like the history.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2022

It depends on the Roleplay, actually. I haven't really been here long enough to re-use a lot of older SUs, but some I made I really liked, but never got the chance to use, so I sometimes use minor elements of them in my new one. Generally, I have a picture of the character I want to make for the SU as I read through the RP plot and such, with minor changes along the way. I ask myself: how would this guy fit into this, and would it work? If I like where it will go, I'll make the character, and sign up.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I just realized that the RP "Years of lies" is soon turning 1 year old! I think it's the oldest active RP we have here, with PTA as the second.

Well done, having stayed active for so long!

Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2016
hi im just wondering which rp people would be more interested in.

first one is a cross demensional rp, where all the video games worlds were combined by an evil force trying to rule them all

or

and pokemon digimon rp when the two worlds colloided and wiped out humans, now there are three factions, one wants poke mon to rule the other wants digimon and the third wants them to live in peace

what is your guy's thoughts on this and any additions to either rp would be nice

thank you

as for my charater creation i mainly stick with one charater for most of the rps and just change the history to fit the rp, sometimes i change his personality depending on what other people use

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years

I always find that most of my characters have bits and pieces of myself in it, the ones who I see as being stronger character based are the ones that have more of me in them. Aside from this, I went through phases, first was the Japanese phase where practically all my characters were Japanese, then there was the Russian phase, now, I think I'm onto the British phase, although Atlantis Arising has a multi-cultural line up of side characters. I use to make some pretty dark characters as well, but I never really quite got a hold on the whole "psychopathic" character, I try every once and a while, but often these characters are quite flawed when I RP them.

Also noted that most of my characters are never really "short" in height, and are mostly average to muscular build. Also, many seem to have some sort of eye disorder, colour blind, Heterochromia, glasses, etc.

I use to use practically the same character for almost every roleplay I was in, but now I like to create new characters for each new roleplay I enter, roleplaying as something different each time. I also find it helps to expand my character base, giving me a wider diversity of characters rather than sticking to one niche.

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023

All of the females are short and skinny. And most of the men are tall(ish) and skinny. I've only ever had one chubby character x:
There is one common thing about all my characters; they all play musical instruments, most commonly bass guitar.

I have my favourites that I've used more than once (Kerin, Oakley, Aki, Atom/Errick/Errol) but usually I create a new one. I used to keep track of them all. Now I don't. d:

Nakuzami

Years
Also noted that most of my characters are never really "short" in height, and are mostly average to muscular build. Also, many seem to have some sort of eye disorder, colour blind, Heterochromia, glasses, etc.

That reminds me . . . lol, all my characters seem to be rather tall, skinny/sometimes a bit more muscular, though usually not, and Caucasian. dat's so racist
But I don't know about RPing a fat person, or a black person. Mostly the fat person, not so much the black one. NOT TO BE MEAN OR ANYTHING. It's just, that I . . . just don't think I could/should/would. xD

As for how I create my characters . . . I tend to always go for something a little bit different, although all my characters end up related in some way (both in traits and actual relationships) and I have A LOT of characters. I do reuse my main ones, and I have so many that I haven't used yet. It's crazy man, IT'S CRAZY.
As for how I actually make them? I don't know what runs through my head every time, but I know one time when I helped . . . I believe it was SkyIsUmbreon, come over writer's block to make a character, I told him to basically take a stereotype and bend it to his will. I tend to do that. I also garner inspiration from people around me, or on TV, in books, or whatever. IT'S ALL SO COMPLICATED.

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
I do base a lot of my characters off different people; Oakley is basically my best friend and my favourite character put together, Errol/Atom/Errick is basically my two best male friends put together, Kerin is basically Rin Okumura and Aki is... I don't know who he is lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back