• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gamefreak is Lazy and Boring!

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I would like to concur with the OP, but the games have been seeing changes since BW and that trend seems like something to continue, so I don't think now is a good time to pass such judgements. Ultimately, regardless, something like Pokemon tends to be largely spent with regards to innovation unless they rather drastically change the entire thing, and that's not going to happen for as long as it remains a successful commercial franchise. The majority of people soak up repetition, and eagerly; something this thread seems to evidence at only a glance through; I would agree that this is unfortunate. My only recommendation is to play new Pokemon games less frequently, let's say only buying one version each generation, then the differences they do have are easier to appreciate.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Yes Metroid...because it has the same built in mechanics through 5 generations of games. Then when they switch to a more 3D look, all of those games share the same basic mechanics. The gameplay does not improve through out. The ONLY thing that changes are characters, and that includes enemies and monsters, weapon/items, and story/location...What other game does that? Oh let me think...Oh ya POKEMON. Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Gameboy, and Gameboy Advance Metroids use the same boring side scrolling travel in every game.

It has the same goals despite different stories, just like every major videogame listed before. The 3D ones all use the Samus helmet vision and a fighting style very similar to playing a Duke Nukem or some other severely outdated FPS game.

Also I have played them. I currently have the two for the 3DS' Virtual Shop downloaded and own Other M. I've played it with various friends who are advocate players of the series.
So you're argument for the 2D Metroids is that they're still side scrollers, ignoring the things that that Metroidvanias need like new level designs, level structure, enemies and boss pattern and desgins, new physics and new abilities? Metroid Fusion plays NOTHING like Super Metroid, or the original. Metroid Fusion was more linear, precise and fast paced than it's exploration and puzzle based predecessor, and that alone is a huge difference, forget the different abilities throughout. I don't know about about Metroid Prime since I only played a bit of 3, but I heard from several people that they're completely different so I'll take it from them. Might as well call the other Metroidvanias repetitive as well. Pokemon, on the other hand, is an RPG, and interestingly enough, the only big name RPG that is repetitive and gets that complaints.

There has to be a reason why Pokemon is also a better selling title than Metroid. Metroid has been around much longer than Pokemon and it still sells way better. So really its a stupid comparison since Metroid can't compete with Pokemon. Since its sells are worse its obviously a worse game franchise.
That has got to be the most ridiculous reasoning to determine a series quality. Sales? Get out. Metroid was never popular in Japan because of the serious sci-fi theme, aliens and shooting aspects, hence it was a mostly franchise geared for the west. As for the games quality, Metroid is more critically successful (going by metacritics), and in that regards, it's normal to consider it the better game series. (No Pokemon game went above 90% in metacritics, if you're curious, whereas all main Metroid games have) It's the same case with every single franchise you mentioned.

As for Mario, repetitive is repetitive. If it can be overcome for one game it can be over come for all games like it. Its Save the Princess, travel through 8 worlds because she's never in the castle you go to. Spin offs like party, which are also incredibly repetitive and yes quite boring at this point as they have severely dumbed down the party's integreal system. I liked the difficulty of earning my stars and buying upgrades that the first three had, but after that everything is pretty much just handed to you. Paper Marion is getting to the point where its repeating basic story line stagnancy even went as far as to try and copy basic Mario gameplay and add in an RPG element into it which while Sticker Star is possibly one of my favorite Paper Mario games, its fairly boring when played for long periods.
My arguments with Mario are still the same with Metroid. Innovative level designs (the only thing you need for platformers), structure (for 3D Marios), enemy and boss pattern, new physics and abilities, etc are all you need.
So, please kindly STHU. You do not know anything about me, or about any of the franchises you are trying to use to spread more of your useless and petty Pokemon hatred. I happen to like all of them outside of the sports and CoD series games and play them fairly regularly. I also don't go around spouting out hate rants on a site dedicated to a specific franchise about that specific franchise. If you hate it so much just stop playing the games. Stop dealing in areas about those games and move on so maybe you'll finally find something that won't make you just sit around with nothing to do but waste your time and just whine about everything.
I have NEVER ranted about Pokemon. (I ranted about B/W's weird design decision back in summer and X/Y's graphics, but that's it) You seem to hold a grudge on me because I criticize your favorite franchise, which is quite childish for a staff. If you don't like my criticism, tell me, or better and prove me wrong. It's fairly simple. This is a message board, I am free to express my opinion however I like it provided it is within the forum's rules. You are personally attacking me with your last sentence particularly, which for your information I do have a life. (I box, I go the gym nearly weekly, work out near daily, hang out with friends whenever I can.) I barely even come here unless I'm bored. In the end, how the hell did you come to that conclusion? We're arguing about Pokemon's repetitiveness and how it fares compared to other big names. You are arguing that games that are MUCH more interactive and responsive are more repetitive than Pokemon, which has battles that is just choose and click.

Just curious, but was it you who posted this post comment? If it was, then I can't believe you didn't talk to me about it in my face instead of hiding yourself like this. I don't like scared people like you, and given the message's context I'm going to take it with the staff. (Had I known it was a mod I'd have done that sooner.)
If you hate Pokemon so much why are you on a pokemon site? If you have nothing worth saying then just don't bother posting.
I'm playing baseball with this thread and right now, it's on strike two. Everyone cool your jets, or you may be infracted if you get too rowdy. And the thread will be locked on strike three. And we don't want that. So if you can't say anything nice, don't say nothin' at all.

Carry on.
Relax, there's nothing heated, it's only a discussion relevant to the thread. The only thing that is, though, was XanderO's last paragraph in his previous post, which I have every single right to respond to.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Relax, there's nothing heated, it's only a discussion relevant to the thread. The only thing that is, though, was XanderO's last paragraph in his previous post, which I have every single right to respond to.

It's not your discretion as to what you think is heated enough to warrant a locked thread though. It's mine. As of right now, it's borderline, especially when you're both calling out personal things and grudges and such. It's not totally overboard yet, so it's not getting locked, and you have the right to respond. That's fine. But I also have the right to lock it if it goes the wrong way. So there's no point replying to me here. I know what I'm doing, nor am I mad at either of you.

Like I said last time, just carry on.

Edit: Because I'm not posting again.

It is pretty hard to be calm when the thread title borders on the flaming side of things. Just saying...

Then clearly you don't know me. I am calm, but posts like this where you think you know me will rattle me. So just stop and let me do my job.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
I'm playing baseball with this thread and right now, it's on strike two. Everyone cool your jets, or you may be infracted if you get too rowdy. And the thread will be locked on strike three. And we don't want that. So if you can't say anything nice, don't say nothin' at all.

Carry on.

It is pretty hard to be calm when the thread title borders on the flaming side of things. Just saying...

Now, if Gamefreak were lazy & boring, chances are they would be unable to come up with new Pokémon ideas, as well as ideas for new regions. They've done this for five generations, & they're working on a sixth region. So, if there's any reason for all this friction, this is it.

Last edited:

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
Years
Ignoring all other posts here, I'm responding to the first one only.

I feel like Gamefreak's ideas have just begun. Now first off, ignoring game mechanics a bit, their plots are starting to get more creative. But, I'm only making that a brief point. Now as for game mechanics, there are infact some puzzles that are still difficult... kinda. With X and Y I'm sure there will be many harder puzzles to come to light. I'm most certainly ok with the current walking system, what's wrong with it? Sure you can't move diagonally, but you can't in many other loved games and series today. Now, the fact that you have a bike and running shoes to help the walking go faster should make up for this.

Now, no matter how boring the current mechanics are, there are new ones every generation. Oh, and looking at animations, they slowly evolved with the generations too. None > At the first part of battle > Throughout the battle > Full 3D. I think this is nice...

Anyway, obviously somethings here didn't correspond to the first post, but I rest my case, they'll do good.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I don't think the game would suddenly be 1000x more amazing if you could walk diagonally. In fact, the game would be identical, you would just...be able to walk diagonally.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Don't fix what ain't broken?

You're right!
Let's get rid of cars; after all, horses weren't broken and worked fine.

Sure, you don't need to fix what isn't broken, but it sure as hell doesn't hurt to improve it.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2015
I don't really see the problem with just moving without diagonally, but I do wish Fly and Dive were more interactive to give us some 3D movement (3D=XYZ directions). I mean, during HG/SS, the dive application was more interactive, but the movement underwater was less than satisfactory. There wasn't any thick seaweed to travel through to find Pokemon, it was more like a cave.

I also wish Flying was more interactive. Why not let us move over the sky with our Flying Pokemon carrying us? Why not use the air as another area to interact with Pokemon? Have certain areas be filled with flying and dragon Pokemon capable of flying and make it as the sky is the only place to catch certain pokemons. There could also be a new weather pattern put into effect up in the sky, High Winds. All Pokemon except for Flying types move at half speed and they take some damage as well.

An since the Pokemon games are always trying to find a way to let players catch the legendaries they caught before in their new games, the new Weather Trio and Rayquaza could be up in the sky in their own little temples. Rayquazas could actual be the top of spiral tower from Ruby Sapphire. In fact, this application of air travel could be used in the Hoenn Reboot. Allowing for newer flying types and dragons to be found in Hoenn, as well as giving a more interactive feature to the games. Add this to the Dive app they had before, creating an entire area underwater.

Maybe the new game could have half of Lilycove and all of Mossdeep flooded. This way you could travel through the waters of the sea, as well as dive underwater to explore the ruins of these lost towns. There could be air pockets in places with a lot of rooms like the Art gallery and the Department Store.

Maybe Fallabor and Lavaridge could be covered in Ash and magma. Maybe you could use a Pokemon with Dig to explore the ruins there and learn about what had happened. The inhabitants of these lost cities could be relocated to new cities, like a Desert City for Lavaridge and the People of Fallabor could move to the mountain pass next-door.

The city of Pacifilodge could be the new bustling metropolis, having survived the flood and everything.

The ruins of Hoenn could have been made by the aftermath of Kyogre and Groundon's inevitable battle.

This might be a bit of a huge plot twist, especially when the last reboots were purely mechanic reboots and not story reboots, and the idea of a post-apocatalyptic Pokemon world is kind of already a Land of Orre thing, not a traditional Pokemon game.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I mean, during HG/SS, the dive application was more interactive, but the movement underwater was less than satisfactory. There wasn't any thick seaweed to travel through to find Pokemon, it was more like a cave.
HGSS didn't have dive in it. Did you mean BW/B2W2?

I'm also not sure what a sequel to RSE where the canon of those games is retconned by things being destroyed would actually achieve in terms of gameplay. Nor is a Hoenn reboot a given to happen in the first place, for that matter.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2015
well, the reason I had the destruction was because it gives the player more room to explore. Explore an entire city underwater, uncover the remains of a town burred in Ash. And a city hidden in a desert. The desert would have to be a lot bigger, but yeah.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2013
"There has to be a reason why Pokemon is also a better selling title than Metroid. Metroid has been around much longer than Pokemon and it still sells way better. So really its a stupid comparison since Metroid can't compete with Pokemon. Since its sells are worse its obviously a worse game franchise."

Please tell me you were kidding when you wrote this statement.

Years
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
Personally, i'm a bit between this. When I plasyed Pokemon Ruby, I was astounded at the possibilities of the new capabilities of the stuff. I could play for hours with the Acro Bike, DIVE underwater (Which tok away from the 2D feel of the Ocean for once. The time components were still a little clunky from Gold/silver, such as Berry growth and the tides, but the weather attribute was a nice addition to the playing and strategy to games. Kekleon was awesome trying to find as many as i could. The entire game was nothing but improvements aside from the clock.

And I LOVED the journal entry addition to FR/LG. Plus the Sevii Islands made it feel like I was cheating a little and getting to go to the Orange Islands.

Then Came Diamond/Pearl, which astounded me with its new 2.5 dimension feel. The clock was finally fixed, using the clock of the DS, which kept in check even when the thing was off, which was a problem back in the gameboy/GBA days. But other than a boost in creative art style, nothing major, They even removed Dive, so the boost directional movement was gone. They didn't even have whirlpools, which were cute in Gold/Silver.

Though they did bring back both Whirlpools and Dive in HG/SS. plus they added the Following Pokemon thing from yellow, which was nice. And they gave us the carrying pot for the nuts. I was on the fence on those, as the new clock would make it easy to check with the new nuts, but instead they let us keep the nuts on us as well.

Then came Black and White, which is so young that I feel guilty talking about it. I didn't see anything new about it other than the 2.75D. We still don't have 3D yet and we won't really until we get 1st person of just over the character 3rd person perspective in these games. I don't remember anything new.

Wrong, BW has the best storyline, the music, the characters, the evil team were very involved,
unlike other games were you have to defeat the champion to end the storyline, the Team
rules the Pokemon league, what I'm trying to say is every generation is unique,
I like every generation, if anyone doesn't is not a real Pokemon fan.

Also don't forget the World tournament in B2W2

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2015
I did forget about the involvement plasma had with the game. I also especially liked how you could choose which elite four you got to fight.

You can't really say that you have to like every generation or else you are not a fan. Look at star trek? Doctor Who? There are people that choose one incarnation over another and think one sucks compared to the other incarnations.

And I never played B2/W2, which is why i never mentioned it

Back