• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pokémon Trainer Association

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I've been trading with Curtis lately, (almost) everyday. Noticed something: the Pokemon you get seems to be of the same gender of the Pokemon you trade away. Wish I'd have realized it sooner. On the up side, I think you can trade with him as many times as you want after you get the first batch of 10 (12?) Pokemon, so maybe I'll go and get a male and female of each Pokemon ^_^

In other news, I've been roaming Unova in search of all the Hidden Grottoes. Got Nidoran(M), Bibarel, Drifloon and a couple of Foongus. And the Medal for finding all the Hidden Grottoes, hehe.

Back on the PWT department, I'm still struggling with the Johto Leaders tournament. Kinda makes me want to start an HG/SS game.

Pyrowolf

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2013
Name:pyrowolf
Goals: I have played almost every pokemon game and I want to 'catch em' all in every region I have so far caught all in kanto and jotho! I also want to improve competitive battling.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Username: Slayr231
Goals: To be the best grass type battler. I battle competitively in many tiers, but my favorite by far is monotype battles. It's tough using the type with the most weaknesses, but I'm managing to pull it off. I have three monotype tournament victories and I'm undefeated against other grass teams. I hope to regularly beat fire teams someday. Those teams just wreck me.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Name:pyrowolf
Goals: I have played almost every pokemon game and I want to 'catch em' all in every region I have so far caught all in kanto and jotho! I also want to improve competitive battling.

Username: Regeneration
Your Goals: Gotta catch 'em all. Yeah, really. I don't ev train or anything, it sounds really boring.

Welcome to the club! Completing the Pokedex sounds like a long and tough feat, how is that going? I've recently started venturing on the GTS, depositing exclusive swarm Pokemon, like Plusle and Sudowoodo. So far I managed to get Bellossom, Castform (transferred from Hoenn), Glameow, Silcoon and Nidoran(F).

Username: Slayr231
Goals: To be the best grass type battler. I battle competitively in many tiers, but my favorite by far is monotype battles. It's tough using the type with the most weaknesses, but I'm managing to pull it off. I have three monotype tournament victories and I'm undefeated against other grass teams. I hope to regularly beat fire teams someday. Those teams just wreck me.

I don't battle competitively, but I've heard that Grass types are at a disadvantage because of their weaknesses. I think it's really cool that you've been able to find ways to train your Grass team, I know people usually go with the strongest Pokemon, so good for you for sticking with them. It seems it's been working well too, congrats! Welcome to the club, and keep us updated on how it goes against those Fire teams!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Its cool all the goals people are setting for themselves! Anyway I haven't actually really started on any of my goals (procrastinator for life). I'm planning to start the underlevelled goal tonight, which is basically just to go through a Pokemon game without grinding. It'll make the game way harder and more enjoyable, since in pretty much every game, I tend to level grind and it just becomes boring after a while. But yeah I haven't actually decided on what game to do it on yet. Emerald? Yellow? I dunno, I'm open to suggestions so if anyone has any ideas, I'll hear them out. Right now I'm thinking Sapphire. :p

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Apart from Gen 5 games, I've only ever played Emerald. It was pretty much a blind nuzlocke, but I blacked out at Norman's gym. It got really boring with all the grinding to be honest, and I hated losing the Pokemon I liked the most, so maybe I'll restart it and try a normal run, or a different challenge.

So my vote goes to Emerald, but only because I've never played the other games, like I said. Sapphire would be pretty similar though, right?

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Username: Urugamosu
Your Goals: I'm trying to complete my Pokédex within 2 weeks in emerald!

Welcome to the club! Why 2 weeks though? And how are doing so far?

In other news, yesterday I EV trained my team of Terrakion, Zoroark and Sigilyph and took on the Johto Leaders tournament again. I thought we were goners on our last match, with Morty's Gengar putting to sleep both Sigilyph and Zoroark and then disposing of them. Terrakion was down to 2 HP, but in an unexpected turn of events, he managed to take out Morty's three Ghost types with Stone Edge. So with that, all Leaders Tournaments have been won, woo!

Afterwards I tried out the newly unlocked Rental Master, where I try to use Pokemon I've never used before. The most interesting I got was Vespiquen with Toxic/Protect/Heal Order. So fun to use it, even though I'd imagine it'd annoy your opponent if it were an online match. Craziest part, though, was being down to Vespiquen against a Venusaur with a couple of hit points left. Given its immunity to Toxic, I just had to stall it until it was out of PP and forced to Struggle. I was lucky that it had Earthquake and Roar, so I wasn't forced to use Protect that much. Given Vespiquen's Pressure, the battle went down in no time. Used my last Toxic on Hariyama, who was also nice enough to Belly Drum half its HP, and that was it. I'd definitely be training a Vespiquen at some point, for in-game battling only though.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Club ownership transferred to MIAU, enjoy <3

Quick update on the Floatzel - he's level 70 now and I'm somewhat happy with him! He's still not great by any means but he's doing some decent damage with his new moves and I've tried to streamline his EVs to make him a decent fighter. I hate having to do that for in-game Pokémon, but when needs must haha. I'm still not certain if he's doing well based simply on level or because of any trait unique to Floatzel, but all I can say is never again. ;)

Honestly I've always found the best way to learn CSS is to take a pre-made code and edit it yourself to see what happens. For example, use this basic code [cd="height: 100px; width: 100px; background-color: red; padding: 5px; border-size: 5px; border: solid; border-color: black;"]HI THIS IS TEXT[/cd] and it becomes:

HI THIS IS TEXT

Then try changing around some of the values. For example I'll change 'height: 100px' to 'height: 30px' and 'background-color: red' to 'background-colour: blue' to get this:

HI THIS IS TEXT

Or you can change the padding from 5px to 25 px to get this:

HI THIS IS TEXT

And then just try editing some numbers or fields until you start to see what different things do. Then once you've gotten the basics of editing CSS down, take a look at a thread like this to see other fields that you can add in, such as linking a background image for the CSS. And of course you've got a whole community here to help you if you get stuck so don't hesitate to ask if you need help understanding something. :)

Last edited:

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Club ownership transferred to MIAU, enjoy <3

Quick update on the Floatzel - he's level 70 now and I'm somewhat happy with him! He's still not great by any means but he's doing some decent damage with his new moves and I've tried to streamline his EVs to make him a decent fighter. I hate having to do that for in-game Pokémon, but when needs must haha. I'm still not certain if he's doing well based simply on level or because of any trait unique to Floatzel, but all I can say is never again. ;)

Thank you, Ozzy!

And you've been really patient with your Floatzel, it's nice to see that patience is finally paying off. What made you stick to training, and even EV training him, though?

I just swept a fire team using Jumpluff! I'm really excited and here's the battle:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oumonotype-42302794

I'm afraid that was just a fluke as that team didn't have Heatran or Ninetales.

Well congratulations Miau! If anyone here deserves it, it's you.

Well, that was fast, hehe! I love Acrobatics, and using it with a Flying Gem, tripling its power on the first use is a great bonus, even if you lose the item afterwards. And hey, I didn't know Jumpluff can learn Swords Dance, seems like it can do very well in battle and be a ball of cuteness at the same time.

And thank you too :)

Here's a question inspired by Ozzy's Floatzel actually, hehe. What do you do when the Pokemon you're training is not living up to your expectations? Do you give up on it, or try a different approach, e.g. EV training, new moves?

Also, don't forget to keep us posted on your adventures, guys! We'd love to hear how you're coming along with your goals!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
In my first play-through of Black 2, I realized that my Muk was beginning to be dead weight on the team and I dreaded bringing him out in battle because I knew it wouldn't work out. Instead of switching him out immediately, I took at look at him and realized that I had put nothing but special attacks on the physically attacking Muk. I switched out some attacks and Muk quickly became one of my most powerful pokemon, even sweeping Grimsley in the Elite Four.

In other words, I'd rather work things out rather than switch things out. Replacing pokemon is a last ditch effort for me.

Name

Moémon Master
Years
Username: mucus
Your Goals:
  • Currently I am starting over and over testing out thing in my hack. Eventually my goal will be to raise Cyndaquil, Ralts, and whomever else catch my fancy.
  • Catch all the Moemon (what pokemon are called in my hack).
  • more stuff eventually I'm sure.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Thank you, Ozzy!

And you've been really patient with your Floatzel, it's nice to see that patience is finally paying off. What made you stick to training, and even EV training him, though?
Basically I never like to give up on training something! If they suck then you just need to work harder to bring out their best - it's no fun if you only train things that're strong by default. I tend to prefer training these 'weaker' Pokémon like Floatzel, Pachirisu, Sandslash, etc, because it makes the game a lot more challenging and you don't just breeze through it like normal. It also helps you to really get to know the Pokémon by seeing what works well with them and which of their skills are worth building on and which should be left in the dust a little. I feel like you grow a lot more attached to these weaker Pokémon when you spend ages struggling with them and then finally find their niche, so I make sure to always use at least a couple in my times. What about you guys?

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
I knew I'd get a headstart by getting Pokémon from my previous games, which actually seemed to work well. I'm basically done with the Pokédex, I just need 5 more!

Oh, congrats, you're so close! *throws confetti*

Username: mucus
Your Goals:
  • Currently I am starting over and over testing out thing in my hack. Eventually my goal will be to raise Cyndaquil, Ralts, and whomever else catch my fancy.
  • Catch all the Moemon (what pokemon are called in my hack).
  • more stuff eventually I'm sure.

Welcome to the club! Ralts is very cute, I trained one once and evolved him into Gallade, but I like its entire evo line. And I've heard of Moemon before, they're adorable :)

In my first play-through of Black 2, I realized that my Muk was beginning to be dead weight on the team and I dreaded bringing him out in battle because I knew it wouldn't work out. Instead of switching him out immediately, I took at look at him and realized that I had put nothing but special attacks on the physically attacking Muk. I switched out some attacks and Muk quickly became one of my most powerful pokemon, even sweeping Grimsley in the Elite Four.

In other words, I'd rather work things out rather than switch things out. Replacing pokemon is a last ditch effort for me.

I trained a Carracosta last year in my first White run, and I also made the same mistake and taught him special moves, like Surf, Scald, Ice Beam. Quite the unlucky Pokemon actually, my poor Carracosta, I recently checked his IV spread: 00/03/05/07/00/01, and he also has a nature that lowers Defense. His only blessing is his Sturdy ability, that guarantees him one attack, so I rarely sent him into battle, and kept him on my team as my Surfer. It didn't feel right though, so I started thinking how to improve his skills, and I worked on his move set, discovered Aqua Jet, which guarantees him two moves now and I replaced Surf with Waterfall. I change his other moves depending on the opponent, and he's now quite the fierce battler and...

Basically I never like to give up on training something! If they suck then you just need to work harder to bring out their best - it's no fun if you only train things that're strong by default. I tend to prefer training these 'weaker' Pokémon like Floatzel, Pachirisu, Sandslash, etc, because it makes the game a lot more challenging and you don't just breeze through it like normal. It also helps you to really get to know the Pokémon by seeing what works well with them and which of their skills are worth building on and which should be left in the dust a little. I feel like you grow a lot more attached to these weaker Pokémon when you spend ages struggling with them and then finally find their niche, so I make sure to always use at least a couple in my times. What about you guys?

... I transferred him to my B2 game, and I've been playing around in the PWT and Battle Subway. He's really fun to use in battle now, I like to give him gimmicky items, like Bright Powder or Quick Claw, and wait for him randomly evading moves or going first. So yeah, I think all the time spent working with him and how much fun he is now compared to back then definitely make him one of my most favorite Pokemon now :)

Name

Moémon Master
Years
Ralts is just such a sweetie pie.
Though I might start training Whismur as well, the Moemon version is just toooo cute!

BurningLanguages

Student Linguist
Years
Username: Normal Spirit
Your Goals: To fully EV train my team and raise them to level 100. I also want to be a successful trainer even with not fully evolved Pokemon.

Nice to meet you all and I am looking forward to getting to know all of you! I hope to build some close relationships :).

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Username: Normal Spirit
Your Goals: To fully EV train my team and raise them to level 100. I also want to be a successful trainer even with not fully evolved Pokemon.

Nice to meet you all and I am looking forward to getting to know all of you! I hope to build some close relationships :).

Welcome to the club, nice meeting you too :)

I'll admit I usually evolve my Pokemon as soon as I can, so keeping an NFE sounds like a challenge, maybe I'll do that at some point and train the world's strongest Pikachu, like a certain ageless boy we all know and love.

Today I played a bit on the bus, on one of the rare occasions I take my 3DS out, and explored Twist Mountain in the winter. Caught Cubchoo (Rt 7), a couple of Beartic, Durant and Cryogonal. The veterans there were pretty tough too, since I didn't have my main team with me, so my Pokemon got a good training session as well!

Back