• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OMG pokemon puzzle league??

Years
I was just chatting about Pokemon Pinball, but I have much better memories or Pokemon Puzzle League (N64) and pokemon puzzle challenge (GBC) which has

In the N64 version, when you battled trainers or gym leaders, both your character (Ash) and the one you battled would spurt phrases over and over again when you got combos. This happened so often and I played so much that some of them got lodged into my head forever:

"When you're hot, you're hot" - Blaine
"I'm gonna WIN" - Ash, I think
"You're wasting my time" and "how you ARREE you" and "the WORLD will be mine" - Giovanni

TEAM BLUE

Friendly Trainer
Years
Omg i get you!* o * I also loved the themes for each character like Ritchie "Together Forever" theme.> w < couldnt stop playing it and when i was done playing after 6 hours everytime i close my eyes i just see puzzles.XD

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
I never played the N64 one but I've played Puzzle Challenge on my GBC. It's really addicting and frustrating. I was kind of surprised at how beautiful the colors are in that game.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Panel de Pon in general is an awesome puzzle game. Pokemon Puzzle League is an even worse conversion than Tetris Attack was, and Tetris Attack wasn't even a bad reskin at all (especially considering it was done in Japan, anyway). Lemme explain.

PPL is, according to what I heard, the result of a bunch of DigiPen students taking the unreleased Panel de Pon 64 and making it into something NoA could then capitalize on with the whole Pokemon craze that was going on back then. The result definitely feels amatuerish in aesthetics, but the gameplay is actually the best of all versions of Panel de Pon/Puzzle League.

With that, Pokemon Puzzle League gets a lot of things right if you're looking for the ultimate PDP experience, and it's fun all the time no matter who's face is on it (until there isn't a face on it, like recent games...). Plus, you gotta love the campy lines from Team Rocket. And hey, Nidoran's in it, so I can't complain. I sold it off once before when I got over my obsession with all things Pokemon years back, but bought it again real cheap during the Gamecube era because I realized it was still solid PdP outing despite being aesthetically lazy. That, and I wanted to have an easily accessible Pokemon voice soundbank on hand. Nidoran's voice is so cute. :3

I actually liked Pokemon Puzzle Challenge more, it felt less... dirty. It had the soul PPL was clearly missing. It was made in Japan, and you can tell as it starts to become more lively like Panel de Pon (SFC and GC) and Tetris Attack. Plus it had Chikorita, Sentret and Totodile, and maybe some other favorites I've forgotten. It's no longer the best portable version of PdP, but probably the last visually interesting one.

Finally, the only thing that PPL lacks outside of class is a four player mode, which PdP GC does have. You'd have to import it (and now it'd be almost impossible to find), but it's almost hard to go back to playing any other version after that. PPL maybe be more polished mechanics wise, but PDP GC beats it by being the best one aesthetically (though some music isn't as good as the original), and having that four player mode. It's otherwise identical to PPL but like a 1.0 release, while PPL is like the 1.3 release of the same game.

Oh, and Panel de Pon for the GC is the unreleased 64 game that turned in Pokemon Puzzle League, FYI.

Years
  • Seen Apr 8, 2013
haven't tried this game, but pokemon pinball was lollingly addictive when it came out. Was a pretty bad game imo, but I just couldn't stop playing it.

Yukiyo Kayume

Dragon Goddess
Years
this game was amazing! everyone needs to play it, but gosh it was so tough

Pokemon Puzzle Challenge (GBA) was more my level lol

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
Years
PPL made me hate Kingler's voice with a passion. It was a great game though, probably the most challenging puzzle game I ever completed also (on the hardest difficulty, yes even the secret ones)!

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Only slightly on topic, but there needs to be an online version of some sort of Panel de Pon. Preferrably one with characters in it, I don't necessarily care who. But a proper cast contributes to awesome music*, so I'd say we're better for it.

*Excluding PPL.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
I loved Pokemon Puzzle League. I actually just downloaded the ROM for Homebrew Station on Wii and have been playing it again. Nostalgia flowing back... /drowns

I love Tetris-like games, like Dr. Mario and (of course) PPL. The voices and sound effects are enjoyable, too, as well as the "skins." I saw a video on YouTube recently where someone just ripped right through Hard Mode like it was nothing, getting slammed with tons of bricks but sendin' 'em right back 2x. It was awesome lol

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I loved Puzzle League. I've been debating picking up Puzzle Challenge. There's alway a copy when I go to the used game shop and I feel like it's just waiting on me, haha. For those that have played it, is it worth picking up?

I wouldn't mind buying Puzzle League either really. I always rented it as a kid and now I'm...well, not a kid, so I can buy it!

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
I loved PPL; it was my go-to game when one of my friends came over and we'd sit playing it for ages. I love Nidoran's "Nya Nya" noise - so adorable!!!

Only slightly related - did/do many people use the pokemon university facility on it? I tried to make my own puzzles of it on occasion and failed miserably, especially considering I was so young at the time that I didn't even know how to change the blocks and usually just filled the screen with green blocks.... rather like my attempts at Minecraft nowadays... some things never change I suppose.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I loved Puzzle League. I've been debating picking up Puzzle Challenge. There's alway a copy when I go to the used game shop and I feel like it's just waiting on me, haha. For those that have played it, is it worth picking up?
I realise the lateness of this, but yes, because the gameplay is good old fun. And also tough on those higher settings. I suppose that's only to be expected from an IntSys title though!.

I picked up a copy in Japan for only about $3, and I've enjoyed what I have played of it. Nice music remixes as well of GSC tunes which is a neat bonus. And a mixed yay/nay thing with the lack of comments from characters from PPL. Hehehe, keep trying! Keep trying! Growwwlithe!

Back