• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

no, NO CHOICE, YOU WILL LIKE THIS

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
If you ever had children, would you encourage them to like certain things? Whether it's media, hobbies, lifestyles or whatever? What are they?

If you aren't planning on having children, then just pretend your parents suddenly made you a new babay sibling like magic, idk just PRETEND OKAY

Raizhu

the end
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 19, 2012
I would encourage them to like Pokemon. /inb4
I'd also encourage them to take an interest in nature and biology.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Uhmm, yes.. I think. But more than encouraging them to like certain things, I would give emphasis on keeping them away from certain things. Bad things. Now how you comprehend that is up to you. But, I imagine myself to be a fairly democratic parent. I'll try to show support for what they like and do. Encourage, I will, but what they choose to like and do in the end will entirely be up to themselves. My list of things I'd like to encourage would probably bore everyone, so let's not dwell deep into that.

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
If I ever had children, I'd see if they're interested in anything I am. If they're not, I'll show them a few things to explore.

Obviously, I would enjoy it if my children had some shared interests with me, but they're going to grow up eventually.

moments.

quixotic
Years
I wouldn't force them to like anything. Obviously if they start liking things that I find are questionable, or like possibly not healthy or anything, I'd try and talk to them and see what's going on, but I'm not going to force them to like anything...
I think it happens indirectly though most of the time, say I get into the film industry, and all my work is to do with films and I spend a lot of time at home watching and working with films, I'm sure they would take an interest, just because it is around them so much and is comfortable to them in the home environment.

But yeah, not going to force them, just talk / advise if things go haywire!

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
Years
zomg you sound like my mom. o.o

I will never ever have any children and even if I do I won't force them to like anything/anyone 'cause nobody likes to be forced. o3o

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I'd encourage them to like Pokemon. If not, video games in general. I'd also encourage them to go after what interests them in the media, as long as it doesn't get them into trouble.

Fire Heart

Reject Revolving Door
Years
I would not force them to like anything, I would much rather let them explore and come up with there own interests. It would be much better that way, everyone deserves free will.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
when I had my little girl I didn't force her to like anything. She choice to like the things she likes and that is okay with me.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I laughed at this title because this describes exactly how I'll probably be with some things. I'm like this already with some of my friends. x___x

I'd be all for allowing them to grow and develop as an individual, choosing what they like and what they don't, but I can totally see me pushing them to like something that I've liked. Like Harry Potter! If they don't grow to like that series (among a few other things), I'm disowning them.

I can also see myself trying to get them to be extremely well-rounded to prepare for college, which they will attend (that's something I'm serious about, unlike what I said above about Harry Potter; they won't have a choice regarding the matter so long as they're living under my roof). They'd try to achieve top grades in all their classes (with my hoping they'd be placed in AP classes), pick up a sport, pick up a musical instrument, and be actively involved in various (3-5+) extra-curricular activities.

They'd also be volunteering in the community in preparation for networking and resumes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
I've never really thought about this. I suppose I'd like to be the kind of person who wouldn't insist on anything, but I'd probably try to get my hypothetical child to be interested in doing creative and/or performance things rather than, say, sports or just watching television. I'd want them to have some kind of healthy outlet to express themselves, but I don't care for most sports and would be annoyed to have to get involved in them. I'd like to think that I could go with most things a kid would take an interest in.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
I would always try and encourage them to do the things they are interested in. I wouldn't want to be a bad parent.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I would want my kids to be into anime and classic cars at the very least. Other than that, I'd leave their interests up to them, just as long as they don't include cheap economy cars or anything inappropriate.

And of course I would try to get them to appreaciate the beauty that is Leaf from Pokemon FR/LG, naturally :P

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I'd certainly point these hypothetical kids in the direction of things I like (classic films and TV etc.) but if it becomes clear that they aren't liking them, I certainly won't continue to force feed culture to them. If they end up liking stuff I'm diametrically opposed to, then that's fine, as long as they're happy.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I'd certainly point these hypothetical kids in the direction of things I like (classic films and TV etc.) but if it becomes clear that they aren't liking them, I certainly won't continue to force feed culture to them. If they end up liking stuff I'm diametrically opposed to, then that's fine, as long as they're happy.

Pretty much this. Of course I would make sure that they've been properly shown things that I like from a young age, but if they grow up and don't like them, I won't force them on the kid once he gets old enough to know he doesn't like it.

Although I'll probably do what my mom did when I was a kid and get them involved in EVERYTHING at a young age and see what sticks. As a kid I did piano lessons, ballet, tap dancing, ice skating, soccer, softball, to see what I liked, lol.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Like most people, I'd encourage things but not force anything. Sport is an example. I find it hard to believe that there is anyone out there who could hate every single sport and I strongly feel that once you find the right one, it does absolute wonders for you both physically and mentally so I'd really encourage my kids to have an interest there but if they really don't then I'm not gonna force them. I'd share my interest in music with them too probably but again in the end I can't influence what they'll listen to if they don't want me to.

I'd also try to get them involved in things I wasn't involved in, in a similar manner to Toujours. I'd try them out on all sorts of things in the hope that they can discover their forte at an early age to be very strong in it when they get older. And this is something different to what I said before; everyone has a forte. It's just finding it that's the issue. And if I can't seem to find it at first, I won't stop until I do find one. It'd be a tedious and probably irritating process for both my kids and I but it'll pay off enormously throughout their lives if I put a lot of effort into finding what they're good at!

The Last One

Stalking Your Conversations
Years
i'd keep them away from bad, bad, horrible things... like Justin Beiber, he will be thought of as the anti-christ in my household... >=3

but probaly not, I wont force like anything, cuz being forceful is wrong..like rape ill just try to see if they have any same interests as me

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I'd like to think that I could be the kind of father that just sits back and lets them find out who they are as an individual - and for the most part I would be, because there's nothing worse than having a parent try to force you to be what they want you to be - but at the same time when it comes to the little things like what TV shows they'd watch or books they'd read etc, I don't think I'd be able to help myself. I would have to introduce them to tons of Pokemon, Buffy and Harry Potter. There's just no way I let them go unexposed to such genius.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I'd let them be interested in whatever they wanted to be interested in, (postive things of course).

Back