• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

North Korea to enter state of war with South Korea and United States

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
North Korea is entering a "state of war" with South Korea, its state-run news service reports, further escalating the rhetoric against its southern neighbor and the United States.

The statement, carried by the communist country's KCNA news agency, says inter-Korean relations will be dealt with in a wartime manner.

"From this time on, the North-South relations will be entering the state of war and all issues raised between the North and the South will be handled accordingly," the statement said, according to Reuters.

CBS News correspondent Major Garrett spoke to a top White House official Friday night who said communication between the U.S. and South Korea is on a nearly constant basis and while North Korea is in a mindset of war, the White House doesn't think it's actually going to happen.

North Korean saber rattling is common every spring, Garrett reports, when the United States and South Korea engage in military exercises.

U.S. officials, however, concede there is no way of knowing exactly what the new 30-year-old leader Kim Jong Un will do and when. Earlier, he claimed he was ready to "settle accounts" with the United States.

Christopher Hill, a former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea, said all the war talk is "bluster," but he worried about things going too far with a leader the U.S. is unfamiliar with.

"I think the real concern is not so much that they're going to aim a missile at Waikiki in Hawaii, but rather there is going to be some miscalculation on the Korean peninsula or just off shore from the Korean peninsula," said Hill, who oversaw international talks over North Korea in 2005. "North Koreans are getting very close to the line, and my concern is that they'll stumble over it and into some kind of conflict."

In this photo, Kim's maps appear to highlight the movement of United States' 7th Fleet, which patrols Pacific waters.

CBS News asked the White House official about the practicality of attacking the U.S. 7th Fleet, and the official said "that's possible, if Kim Jong Un is playing a 'Call of Duty' video game."

Additionally, a state-run news report Friday announced the North Koreans are ready to strike several targets in the Pacific, including U.S. bases in Guam, South Korea and Hawaii.

A lot of the rhetoric, Hill said, also has to do with appealing to the North Korean people.

"I think there is a lot of concern about how they react to crisis, and it's clear that North Koreans are trying to make Kim Jong Un kind of acceptable to the North Korean people as a real tough kind of leader," he said. "In so doing, I think they're going to push this situation right to the limit, and the concern is they'll go over."

Source: CBS Article

For the past few months, North Korea has been constantly making vicious threats towards both South Korea and the United States. Many analyists believe, however, that it's all just bluster and that NK is still very far from actually creating a nuclear weapon capable of reaching any U.S. island in the Pacific or the U.S. mainland.

What do you think about this similar threat released by the KCNA today? The North and South are still technically in a state of war because a peace treaty was never created when the Korean War ended in 1953. Do you think this new threat is just all bluff and another way for Kim Jong Un to build up hate in his country towards South Korea and the United States?

Last edited:

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
North Korea is really getting on my nerves now. I really hope we don't get into a war with them - also hope South Korea doesn't either - but they're pretty much asking for one by the sounds of it.

Years
It's all rhetoric and saber rattling. Unless Jong Un has a death wish, which I'm sure the war hawk neocons of the Republican Party would happily oblige.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
I've said this numerous times before - North Korea is askin for an ass kickin.

I think I better stock up on popcorn and soda. At this rate, things may get entertaining real fast.

Years
If this does escalate, part of me wonders if it's a good idea to mess with NK since they boast about having an army with over a million men in it. On the other hand, if NK is asking for it... there's no problem launching a few cruise missiles at a few planes of interest.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
A few days ago, a nuclear US plane flew over NK and their defences couldn't detect it. They could have blown up the entire place in pieces if they had wanted to. So if I were NK (and, again, China and Russia, their neighbours who certainly don't want a nuclear war going on in their backyard), I'd be very wary of starting any trouble myself. Suicide is not a good way to go.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
So, will it be the fastest WWIII soon?

I'm worried about my South Korean pen pal.

I really don't think you need to worry, NK's threats are little more than empty words, & I swear by this saying: Words will only take you so far.

Also, if they do end up using what miserable excuse of a nuclear arsenal they have against the world, the reprisal we'll give them will be swift & brutal.

Naturalles

OHHHHHHHH!!
Years
I really don't think you need to worry, NK's threats are little more than empty words, & I swear by this saying: Words will only take you so far.

Also, if they do end up using what miserable excuse of a nuclear arsenal they have against the world, the reprisal we'll give them will be swift & brutal.

True, the threats seemed pathetic to my eyes. Besides that, it doesn't seem possible for NK's nuclear missiles to reach the US.

droomph

weeb
Years
North Korea won't get far. The fact that they've isolated themselves like they have has put them into an unfavorable position. South Korea and the USA can easily overcome anything North Korea does, including missile interception.

I'm just gonna join Mr. X and grab some popcorn and junk food. It'll be the fastest World War we've had. Except only a few countries are in it.

And it's the only one where you have to pay a ticket to watch the live footage.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
They've already "declared war" something like five times since the end of the Korean War. They haven't done anything. All the analysts say they're not going to do anything.

Call me when they do something (e.g., never).

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
6956164_700b.jpg

As far as I know, this is the first threat from their new leader. He's not as... um... sane as his father was (Who himself was missing quite a few screws) so we never really know if hes bull****ting us, or preparing to shove a knife in our backs while we're to busy laughing.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Heh, I like the CoD reference.

But no seriously, if you ask me this is all just way too overrated. I mean, the North Koreans have threatened to attack the US how many times now? Yeah. I'm sure that they want to, I really am, but let's face the facts here, no one is that suicidal. First it was a threat to fire a nuclear missile in which case we can all agree that if and when nuclear war breaks out, there is no doubt that the US can level North Korea within a day by measure of possibility and a week by measure of opportunity and otherwise practicality. So the standing point here is that I seriously doubt any nuclear missiles are gonna be flying anywhere any time soon.

On the topic of military war, well I just have to point out that threats remain threats until they're pulled through. And as such, I very much doubt that anything will happen. Can it happen? Yes, definitely. Do people, and in particular North Koreans, want it to happen? Again, yes. But will it happen is the real question here and its something I'd really not give too much credibility to considering, well, no one in their right mind would think a war with the US could possibly go anywhere good for anyone.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
I really think people should be more worried about NK, they are making these threats for a reason and so far we have no idea what that reason might be.. I've seen alot of fights lost cause people didnt take their enemies serious... I dunno if they will use their nukes but they have a plan I'm sure of it.

I dont think russia or china will stand by n let NK be annihilated without doing anything..

Years
But I don't think any country would stand by and let another country be annihilated without doing anything. Nuclear armageddon has never happened before, and it's very unlikely when you have two countries so different in power like the USA and the DPRK. There hasn't even been a standoff yet. Many people say the closest the world's ever come to nuclear war was during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I don't think the US military and CIA are in crisis mode yet. While, yes the two situations are very different, I just wanted to demonstrate that it's not crisis mode. Plus, taking from the Cuban missile crisis experience, there would probably be lots of secret negotiations that go on when a crisis does occur. I think it's very easy to avoid war when neither party can see reasonable gain. Compare this to the experience of the two World Wars, in which case the parties involved felt, when they entered it, that the wars would be winnable and come out as a net benefit.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Continuing from that reasoning: what does NK win by lanching a nuke to somewhere? Nothing. Zero. If anything, they will win absolute annihilation. So 0 gain and possible infinite loss. Sounds reasonable to go ahead.

On the other hand, what will they win by threatening with a nuke? They'll get to start negotiations and maybe even get food in exchange for "good behaviour", as most of the country is starving.

If you can extort someone into getting what you want, specially if that person is so much more powerful than you, it's foolish to go on with the threat- you'll lose your chance to get things in return!

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Last edited:

Sir Codin

"When the North Koreans get shoes and lights, then I'll start to worry.
When they get shoes with lights in them, then I'll worry."

- The Skeptical Libertarian

Back