• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Pokémon WaterBlue Version

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Being remakes of Japan's original Pokémon Red and Green games, generation III's Kanto game's names were FireRed and LeafGreen. Many people wondered at the time if there would ever be a Pokémon WaterBlue version, as countries outside Japan received Pokémon Blue instead of Green and because Game Freak trademarked 'Pokémon WaterBlue Version'.

From Bulbapedia
According to Junichi Masuda, the reason why LeafGreen did not become WaterBlue outside of Japan was for the following reasons: A leaf is a symbol of peace, while fire and water are opposing concepts and thus would seem more like a conflict. A leaf is also an easier concept to grasp and translate into other languages, and in this world of conflicts, the creators wanted to give a name suggestive of a peaceful world. Game Freak also wanted a colorful drawing of a Bulbasaur family member on the boxart. Masuda explains that, as with legendary Pokémon, creating a title for each Pokémon game that can be used and easily understood in all countries is not an easy task.

So with that in mind, did you liked having a Pokémon LeafGreen, or would you have rather a Pokémon WaterBlue Version? Do you think a WaterBlue version is ever a possibility in the future? If you could choose between LeafGreen, FireRed and WaterBlue, which two would you choose?

Discuss!

MDP134.png

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
I think it was appropriate as a concept for remakes, as the originals were indeed Red and Green. It confused the heck out of me when I first got them because I didn't know that the originals in Japan were Red and Green, with Blue coming later. I would have loved to have the WaterBlue, though, just because Water is my favorite type and I love Squirtle. However, I seriously doubt we'll ever see a WaterBlue version, because I believe they're done with the Kanto games, and like they said before, WaterBlue is difficult to translate among many languages. But who knows. GameFreak is known to surprise us PokeFans.

Years
I don't quite see how a leaf would be any more difficult to translate than water in different languages, at least, not the ones the games are usually available in. I also don't think that the leaf is the best representation of the Grass type (it's not Plant type), whereas Water and Fire describe both the Pokemon, and their respective types.

Aside from all that, though, I actually enjoyed that the remakes threwback to the original colors, rather than just those released internationally. I probably would've been more inclined to pick up WaterBlue over LeafGreen if they were my two choices, but I'm still happy with what we got. And aside from hacks (I'm sure there are already a few called WaterBlue), I wouldn't expect us a real WaterBlue from Game Freak, or any remake of the remakes, for that matter.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I thought having LeafGreen around the world was really cool. Because I never had a Green as a child, I really wanted to get LeafGreen. I think if they wanted to release another remake, a Water Blue would be something cool to have, but I don't see it happening. I like how they chose FireRed and LeafGreen.

PichuRules4ever

The TF2 Pyro
Years
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a WaterBlue. But I would rather have LeafGreen because we get to experience what only Japan had in GBA graphics. I think there is a VERY slim chance of them making a WaterBlue. If I had to choose two, I would choose FireRed and LeafGreen. :t009:

Hey, vaporeon7! Do you mind if I make a thread based around yours? I have an idea for a Pokemon LightningYellow Version and I would like to see what people thought about it. :chu:

Last edited:

tnfsf11

Hey, vaporeon7! Do you mind if I make a thread based around yours? I have an idea for a Pokemon LightningYellow Version and I would like to see what people thought about it. :chu:
I think Lighting Yellow is a hack here...

Years
I don't quite see how a leaf would be any more difficult to translate than water in different languages, at least, not the ones the games are usually available in. I also don't think that the leaf is the best representation of the Grass type (it's not Plant type), whereas Water and Fire describe both the Pokemon, and their respective types.

I think that because water is so abstract, different cultures express it in words that don't translate to our own conception one-to-one. IRC in Chinese culture, water is described more as green than blue. Leafs are tangible so most cultures probably have a noun for that. Also I don't know how awkward EauBleu or WasserBlau would sound :P

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
My avatar pretty much tells you how devastated I am because of NO WaterBlue. I'm a huge supporter of waters and I'm like : Why? Why couldn't they make another remake and be done with it? Looks like we're doomed to have no WaterBlue.

I'd take in LeafGreen as well as WaterBlue, due to reasons of nostalgia and personal preference of Venusaur.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
Then there will be 3 Gen III remakes that come full circle.

But if it has to be 2 versions, then Fire Red and Leaf Green, because that's how it's meant to be.

Years
BlahISuck said:
I think that because water is so abstract, different cultures express it in words that don't translate to our own conception one-to-one. IRC in Chinese culture, water is described more as green than blue. Leafs are tangible so most cultures probably have a noun for that. Also I don't know how awkward EauBleu or WasserBlau would sound :P
Hmm, wasn't aware of that. Still, it would've been neat to see a WaterBlue version (or whatever they decided to name it), either as a pair with FireRed or a 3rd installment.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
In hindsight, it makes sense to release FireRed and LeafGreen on their own without there being a WaterBlue. Pokemon Blue wasn't really a 'third version' (Yellow was); it was more of a bugfix release if anything. Replacing LeafGreen with WaterBlue would have gone against the original Japanese Generation I games, too, I guess, which they were probably intending to remake in the first place..

Pokedude3012

Slayer of Milotics
Years
I think that not having a WaterBlue makes sense, and there is good reasoning behind it, but kinda wrecks the 'trio' of Water, Fire and Grass. But Firered and Leafgreen have a ring to it. And that's all that matters.

Back