• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Wait... did i spend $60 on this?!?

TY

Have you ever bought a game which appeared to be totally different from what you expected?
If so what game was it? Did you still enjoy the game? What was different about it?

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
For Jore. I bought Gauntlet: The Seven Sorrows on XB Arcade expecting it to be as in depth as Gauntlet: Champions. Oh ho ho. Was I sorely mistaken. Now mind you, I didn't pay too much, nowhere near 60 bucks. But it was still a blatant waste of money and I regret the decision I made that day.

Stupid! Stupid, Tim!

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Yeah, but it was mostly my fault. I bought MAG on Playstation 3 a few years back, and returned it a couple days after. I just didn't like the 250 player online play like I thought I would. It was too slow for me.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
I usually do my research and know what games I'll enjoy before I buy them, so I can't say I've bought a game not knowing what it was. Plus I normally keep up with games as they're developed and such, so I pretty well know the games, their development history, play style, impressions, etc...running a gaming site will do that to you, lmao.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I'm usually very careful about buying expensive games and I make sure I'll like them before playing them, usually through watching a Let's Play or reading countless reviews, but for cheaper games like Steam Sale stuff I won't bother so much. I've never spent a huge amount of money on anything with 'unexpected results' but I've certainly been let down by some of the small cheap purchases I've made in sales haha, guess that's why they were on sale!

Years
I can think of two rueful examples:

Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4. It's not so much that it was a bad game; I was just beginning to feel I was too old for Lego games, which took away greatly from my enjoyment and kept me from even beating the game until a year or two later.

Tony Hawk's Proving Ground for the Wii. This one really did suck. After a few months I still hadn't gotten used to the controls, and the levels, plot, and characters seemed really tacked-on and uninspired. I was happy to be rid of it as soon as I hit up my local GameStop.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Hm, I've bought one of the Megaman Battle Network games (I think it was BN1) and I for some reason totally expected one of the Megaman games for the NES... oops. Fortunately it was only 14.99, and it was actually money well spent considering MB1 was a really good game that introduced me to the Megaman Battle Network series!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Since I pay full price only for game I REALLY want I have not experienced this =D
Yea, it kinda felt like that in the first moments of Time and Eternity where I hardly could see the subtitles =D But then everything went well and now it's one of my favorite games =)

Miracle Seed

Serpentine trainer
Years
I really try not to do that, but with some series, especially new ones, it can't be helped.

Mine would have to be Aliens: Colonial Marines. The gameplay was so meh and all, I was really just paying for the name at that point.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I can't recall its name, but one of the Sims games for the Wii. Sim Kingdom or something? I honestly thought I would enjoy it, but from the very start I knew that it just wasn't for me; too childish. Even though I ripped open the sticker covering the side of the game case, I careful stuck it back together and fooled the lady into letting me return my purchase. xD

I don't think I bought another game with the money I got back.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
Years
Whenever I purchase a game, I tend to have a good idea on what to expect. Usually I never buy a game unless I know i'm going to be playing it and it would be worth the money. Though over the past few years I have wasted an absurd amount of money buying games during its release date for $60 or more only to stop playing it a month later... I never knew any better at the time though.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
Hohohoh, koff~

I did this before and I'll probably do it again. The Last of Us, and Transformers: WFC. These should go in the lame bucket indeed, koffi~

Years
I have an on/off relationship with World of Warcraft - If I'm not subscribed, I regret buying all of the expansions, etc.

But if I am subscribed... I love it, haha.

Death

The Pale Horseman
Years
Civilization V.

I haven't played a strategy game since my days playing Black & White 2, Warcraft III, Age of Mythology, and Sims City [I actually really hate Sims City because, 'Mr. Mayor, the PLUMBING. AAAAAH!'].

I thought it would be pretty fun.

But the hexagons removed my strangest (but most beloved) thing to do in games like those: Controlling a single unit and just walking around the map and making up their dialogue in my head (also making them commit suicide because, 'Ah, enemies too many. I cannot can.'). That, and it just wasn't my type of game. I wanted it to be, but it just wasn't. Probably the lack of the feel of units being their own, instead of clustered into groups.

But I dunno, I might give it another shot later.

Years
I've just had this with Battlefield 4. I was assured the server problems had all been fixed so I decided to buy it. Very poor game all round, just unenjoyable multiplayer made even worse by a fair amount of games still having lag and rubberbanding.

Luckily I bought it from a store with a nice returns policy so I didn't really waste the £44 I spent on it.

Back