• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Item Creation in FireRed: Step by Step, From Start to Finish

droomph

weeb
Years
How must i do if i want create a TM/HM on the ????? item?

Hey, I don't know if this is exactly what it is, but this might help:

Spoiler:

I found this routine on every TM item, so maybe you can work from there. It's a start, I guess.

Just a thought.

Years
  • Seen Mar 9, 2015
Eh i am having a little problem with geting the item Could anyone help? (ingame)
I am using PKSV but i have no idea whats the item ID.

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Eh i am having a little problem with geting the item Could anyone help? (ingame)
I am using PKSV but i have no idea whats the item ID.
Item ID is the same as the item index I referred to in the tutorial.

As a side note, you should probably use XSE for your script-editing needs. There's more documentation for it, and it has a cleaner syntax.

Years
  • Seen Jul 15, 2013
I'm still a bit confuesed here. the whole image comes out right but the script just feezes the screen I probably messed up in the hex edit, but idk. any advice?

Years
  • Seen Sep 20, 2013
Completely new item? Wow..
So many good guides on here!
I cant decide which ROM to hack lol.

Death_Mande

Avenged Sevenfold.
Years
Sorry if I'm bothering you, but while following your tutorial I accidentally indexed the "??????" after the Green Shard a 34, without noticing that my Green Shard is indexed at 51 and not 33. The game runs fine, and I can receive my item normally, but I can no longer edit the items with any editor.

I have tried using thethethe's (sorry if I misspelled it), ZodiacDaGreat's and Team Snag Em's version of thethethe. Any ideas on how I could fix this? I don't mind if it requires some or a lot of HEX Editing. Any assistance is appreciated!

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Sorry if I'm bothering you, but while following your tutorial I accidentally indexed the "??????" after the Green Shard a 34, without noticing that my Green Shard is indexed at 51 and not 33. The game runs fine, and I can receive my item normally, but I can no longer edit the items with any editor.
51 decimal is 0x33 hex.

I think you may have made other mistakes besides assigning the wrong index, as setting a bad index shouldn't break item editors. (Technically speaking, the index was already bad.) Unfortunately, I've no clue what could cause this problem or how to fix it.

Hopefully, you've been creating regular backups of your hack. If not, well... lesson learned. Sorry, mate. :(

Death_Mande

Avenged Sevenfold.
Years
51 decimal is 0x33 hex.

I think you may have made other mistakes besides assigning the wrong index, as setting a bad index shouldn't break item editors. (Technically speaking, the index was already bad.) Unfortunately, I've no clue what could cause this problem or how to fix it.

Hopefully, you've been creating regular backups of your hack. If not, well... lesson learned. Sorry, mate. :(

No worries! I didn't have a backup xD! I opened the game with a HEX editor and went to the offset in which the item data is stored in. The first few bytes were rather screwed up, so I changed them with new ones from a clean ROM. I saved and opened the item editor and it worked fine! xD! Thanks for your response though.

I have no idea why the index was 51. The clean ROM I have has the same number. xD!

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 14, 2012
does this work for ruby?
animation-Wilderness1-3.gif

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Would it be possible to make new evolution items with this? Or would that require more than a simple script?

Evolution stones are trivially easy to make, and they do not require any sort of script.

Going from this tutorial, follow it up until the step on Item Manager. When you get there, go ahead and do what he tells you (the item's index, name, and description), but also check the values for one of the existing evolutionary stones (the specials and things like that). Set all of those exactly the same in your new stone.

There's a table called gItemEffectTable located at 0x082528BC. The table consists of pointers. The elements of the table correspond to different in-game items, starting from Potion (0xD). We need to adjust the entry in this table for the Evolutionary Stone you're creating, and to do that we first need to find the address of the element in the table that corresponds to it. For that, calculate 0x082528BC + (id - 0xD) * 4, or more succinctly 0x08252888 + id * 4, where id is the item index for your new stone.

Simply pull up the resulting address in a hex editor and replace what's there with 56 28 25 08.

Now, if you set a Pokemon to evolve using your item, it'll work.

Then, continue his tutorial through the image and palette inserting and you're done - you do not need to do any kind of script. For this method (and it is the only method I know of), you do not even need JPAN's Hacked Engine.

EDIT:
This is very late, but I should've mentioned this - this method works with FR. Offsets will be different for RSE or LG.

Last edited:

Robert Conley

GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley
Years
Evolution stones are trivially easy to make, and they do not require any sort of script.

Going from this tutorial, follow it up until the step on Item Manager. When you get there, go ahead and do what he tells you (the item's index, name, and description), but also check the values for one of the existing evolutionary stones (the specials and things like that). Set all of those exactly the same in your new stone.

Then, convert the item's index into decimal, subtract 13 from it, and multiply the result by 4. Now, convert the result into hex, and add it to 0x2528BC. Open up your hex editor, and go to that address, and replace what is there with "56 28 25 08.

Then, continue his tutorial through the image and palette inserting and you're done - you do not need to do any kind of script. For this method (and it is the only method I know of), you do not even need JPAN's Hacked Engine.

Thanks, glad to see that it's so simple!

sky_queen3

Mimikyu is cute :3
Years

Then, convert the item's index into decimal, subtract 13 from it, and multiply the result by 4. Now, convert the result into hex, and add it to 0x2528BC. Open up your hex editor, and go to that address, and replace what is there with "56 28 25 08.

That didn't work for me, I did all that but when I go to use the item it just goes back to the pause screen. :| What did I mess up on?

Robert Conley

GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley
Years

I did all of this and everything seems to work fine except when I set Pokemon to evolve with the item they don't. For testing purposes I set Bulbasaur to evolve into Butterfree using the item but when I tried to use it it said it would have no effect. I'm not sure but the hex editor might be my problem, do I just replace the first four values or the whole 16 value line?

To give some more info:

I made the index number 34, subtracted 13 to get 21, multiplied that by 4 to get 84, switched it to hex and got 54, added it to 0x2528BC to get 0x252910.

Last edited:
Back