• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black and White dead end for nintendo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2021
I have been a long time fan of pokemon, being among the elders who actually used to battle on Red and Blue and until now the series has done nothing but improved. you had G/S who added a hand full of new pokemon but added twice the gameplay of R/B then here comes R/S that added tons more pokemon while keeping the content fresh and extensive. D/P brought good (handheld) graphics to pokemon and i personally loved Diamond and everything about it. HG/SS was a remix of a classical game and one of my favorite storylines. Then Nintendo got lazy in my opinion. pokemon have always had that animal/creature feel to them which made them so cool. whatever your favorite animal was you could always find the pokemon version(s) of it. Now B/W had decent starters and legendaries. with an exception of a few the pokemon in BW are down right awfully produced. Whoever's idea it was to start giving objects to pokemon like construction beams should be fired. Now stat wise B/W added an entire new field of strategy to online play. but while i was playing it i was just grossed out by some of the just strange and random designs unlike 4th generation where most of them were neat to look at and had some cool effects. However the story was great, i do enjoy the fact that the evil team does not sit in their warehouses waiting for a 12 year old to kick their asses. Im interested to hear your opinions but i personally thing that the days where we are amazed by a new pokemon are over. i still get a thrill from facing/using dragonites and charizards, etc. as im an adult now i will eventually stop actively playing this but if i were to continue this series i bet i still would be using 1st generations in the 8 generation series :D.

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
Years
Black/White, to me, was a let down from the designs mostly being WAY off from what we've seen in other games, and the sheer lack of some types even being useful that were introduced, it brought a few type combos I loved in theory but the pokemon themselves were such a let down I can barely even fill up much more than a team of 6 pokemon that I even LIKE from the choice of over 100.

Though I do give them a little slack, being that they've made as many as they have in under two decades, I can only hope their artistic block is over by the next generation.

One thing I didn't like, that I see a lot of people liking, is the story and the villains... They got a lot more preachy, and seemed like someone at Nintendo just thought "hey what if there was a PETA for pokemon, like 'people for the ethical treatment of pokemon' but with a better name and goofy knight-looking costumes?", N was a whiny git in my eyes, and the whole "Ghestus is the REAL bad guy" could be seen a mile away... The champion seemed interesting, along with his past, but they NEVER get into it, except his first pokemon died, that's mentioned a few times but all-in-all the only plot point I was curious about gets dropped really fast.

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2021
Black/White, to me, was a let down from the designs mostly being WAY off from what we've seen in other games, and the sheer lack of some types even being useful that were introduced, it brought a few type combos I loved in theory but the pokemon themselves were such a let down I can barely even fill up much more than a team of 6 pokemon that I even LIKE from the choice of over 100.

Though I do give them a little slack, being that they've made as many as they have in under two decades, I can only hope their artistic block is over by the next generation.

One thing I didn't like, that I see a lot of people liking, is the story and the villains... They got a lot more preachy, and seemed like someone at Nintendo just thought "hey what if there was a PETA for pokemon, like 'people for the ethical treatment of pokemon' but with a better name and goofy knight-looking costumes?", N was a whiny git in my eyes, and the whole "Ghestus is the REAL bad guy" could be seen a mile away... The champion seemed interesting, along with his past, but they NEVER get into it, except his first pokemon died, that's mentioned a few times but all-in-all the only plot point I was curious about gets dropped really fast.

yes i agree. i liked the champion in this game and wish he would of had more involved like Lance did in Johto. as a kid it was always awsome to see him sweeping team rocket with his dragonite haha. well im glad im not the only one who feels the designers were poor. I think the Ruby and Saphire remakes will be done on the 3DS so it should give them time to create some fresh designs. also i really wouldnt mind if they took their time with the 6th gen. if it means better gameplay and pokemon im all in for it.

Years
I disagree. While some of the Pokemon introduced are not so creative, they are still Pokemon. I feel like the story line has a much more mature feeling and the game-play is like 10 times improved from Diamond and Pearl (which, in my opinion, were the worst Pokemon games so far and they're not even 'bad').

I don't think this was anywhere near a dead end for Nintendo (they have so many other series) or for Pokemon. I was so impressed by this generation.

Ostrich

Derpatoligist
Years
I agree with OP. The person that had the idea that Pokemon should have support items in their sprites is an idiot. I can understand small, useful items, like Cubone's bone and Farfetch'd's leek. But construction beams? C'mon.
Also, animals have been ended up having more than one animal counterpart. There are probably about ten different worms/bugs. C'mon Nintendo, get fresh!

murkage

Fairy Key Chain Sweeper
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2021
I disagree. While some of the Pokemon introduced are not so creative, they are still Pokemon. I feel like the story line has a much more mature feeling and the game-play is like 10 times improved from Diamond and Pearl (which, in my opinion, were the worst Pokemon games so far and they're not even 'bad').

I don't think this was anywhere near a dead end for Nintendo (they have so many other series) or for Pokemon. I was so impressed by this generation.

like i said the story was the best of all but the pokemon designs and the names are just down right icky lol. i mean look at your sig. its a a bundle of cubes with pink and blue contrasted. lets keep it simple here

charmander- sounds like charcoal and salamander

feraligator- ferocious gator

lets look at forth gen

Infernape- inferno ape aka a giant ape on fire (sounds pretty intimidating to me)

5th gen- Emboar, look like a pig cross breed with magmortar. i wish emboar was on all four instead of standing up would of been cooler.
Samurott- no refernece to the fact that its a sea unicorn
Serperior- superior serpant? no refernce to the fact its a tree snake.

idk its just doesn't seem like they are trying like these were great ideas just poorly executed i mean the water types have always been cool but the first 2 evos of this one are just strange off brands of buizel. lol

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
First. NINTENDO DOES NOT MAKE POKEMON.

As fans you should know this. Gamefreak is the company that makes Pokemon. Nintendo endorses the company and gives them a console to put their games on.

The Pokemon Designs since Gen 1 have had questionable tastes, some leading to great controversies and having huge impacts on the future versions of the games and designs. Pokemon as a whole has matured.

Now I have no problem with Timburr's line or the fact that it holds a building post. It is often seen in construction so it makes sense. It also an attempt to show how physically strong the Pokemon is. You want to complain about that, Generation 1 have TWO Pokemon with Sword Arms. Try getting a hug from that, not to mention try imagining how they eat. Hunched over like they have a brain disorder cause they can't lift their food to their mouths.

The fact that they were able to not only outclass the "God" tier Legendaries with two Legendaries based off of Yin and Yang and still make them better is an amazing feat, and the fact that they were able to create more than 100 Pokemon this time. They have also started bringing in new minds to design Pokemon, not limiting it to the one or even two that were with the original group.

Graphics wise, this has been one of the most visually advance generations in the Pokemon history, easily outclassing 4th Generations. Pokemon has come a long way since Red and Blue and have had amazing results unlike the other Monster taming games that appeared at the same time.

Gen 5 has potentially saved the Pokemon Franchise from a slump of just reusing the same Pokemon and just periodically evolving them at random.

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
They have also started bringing in new minds to design Pokemon, not limiting it to the one or even two that were with the original group.

...this has always been the case.

In fact, they've only introduced a few this time around, namely the american, who went on to design whats arguebly the most hated pokemon of the fifth gen, the ice cream ones.

So yeah, not exactly a point in your favor.

blue

gucci
Years
Not by a long shot, Gen V introduced so many new things to the Pokémon world, a huge step-up from DPPT which wasn't a "dead end"

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Since the only thing you really find something to hate on are the Pokémon of the generation really, discuss what you don't really like in our Likes/Dislikes thread [ c l i c k ]. OR discuss these details further in this thread → c l i i i i c k

That is all! \o

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back