• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you support yourself?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
Who supports you financially? Do you support yourself, or do you have parents/guardians who support you?

With your age in consideration, do you feel like that's okay?

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I support myself, and in truth my parents as well. At age 19 however no one should be supporting their parents, its just a weight put around their neck when they're finally ready to experience the world.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I've supported myself financially in part since I was 13 and I've been doing it fully since September. I think that 13 is a pretty early age to be supporting yourself in any way financially, mainly because you can't legally be in a job until the age of 16 but also because most people just aren't generally ready at that stage and it's kinda forcing you to grow up too quickly imo. I'd rather that hadn't been the case with me. However, now, I think 18 is a fine age to be supporting yourself financially and I'm sorta glad I learned some self-support skills earlier on.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I would support myself but having trouble doing so, my boyfriend helps me out if I get into trouble.
so my boyfriend supports me.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
My parents still support me. I dont have the money to support myself and dont have a job so Im not making any more :l

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
My mom supports me, and I'm currently looking for a job. When I did have a job, it was still majority mom's money supporting me, but that was mainly for school purposes and my car bill. I bought my own gas and home supplies, however my dad bought my groceries. I'm 20 though and don't really see a problem with it, but I do need a job and I'm trying to find one. Been applying at loads of places. I think it's fine to be supported by your parents through college, as long as you have a job/are actively looking for one and still do things around the house to keep it nice.

Being 32 with a child and having your parents pay for your house while you don't even try to find a job and you've been done with school for years though...is not cool. Yeah I know someone like that.

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
My parents support me. I'm only 15 so I think its fine for them to still be supporting me. They pay for all the things I need. Luckily they pay my phone bill also, along with the tuition for my school. As for extra stuff such as pokemon games, I need to pay for that. I have a summer job that pays pretty well so I have a good amount of money to spend, for my age.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
My parents support me. It is considered somewhat of an Asian culture for parents to support their children until they are old enough and ready to take care of themselves. Children here generally still live in their parents' houses until they are married. I would actually get a part-time job to partly support myself, but my education takes up a lot of my time and it won't be convenient.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
I pay for my fair share of basic bills, or 25% of water, electric, internet, groceries, and other utilities. I buy my own snacks, video games, clothes, and makeup/hygiene products. I pay for gas if I'm requesting a ride to somewhere. I cover my tuition/book fees and cell phone bills. I do not pay for rent.

I still live with my parents, and they do help support me still. At my age, my dependence on my parents can be interpreted as either understandable or unusual. On one hand, I'm trying my hardest to get through college and not drown in student debt, so my situation is fine. On the other hand, I have plenty of friends who are attending school full-time, working full-time, and may or may not have families or social lives. Some make it, and I commend them. Some break.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
I'm trying to take the weight off my parents as much as I can. Currently I pay for almost all of my food, clothes, snacks, pitch in for my insurance, soon to pay for my phone bill, games, gas, and other personal goods. However, school, my car (was my grad present), house-concerning bills, and medical in some cases, I do not. I basically do what my $170 a week job allows me to.

Years
My parents still support me financially. Currently I'm still in high school (as a senior) and I don't have a car nor a job yet. Hopefully this summer I can have both a car and a job (maybe full-time for the summer but part-time by August for schooling).

Years
I've been financially independent since August 2009 or so (or January 2010 if you count when I started paying rent for my own place). I work a job, and it's my only source of income. My family does not give me money anymore.

I live with a roommate, and I pay him for half the electric and cable bills when I can. Lately I've had extra bills so he's just been doing it on his own. So in theory if I really need help I can depend on him to go it alone for a bit. Those two bills are in his name, at least, so if I can't afford to pay him, it's not on me. He's also the only person I know that I could theoretically loan money from if I needed it; the rest of my immediately family just makes enough to pay their own bills. I'd rather not have to ask anyone for money though. :(

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I still live at my parents house and they pay for my Uni tuition, which is a huge support.
I have a part-time job as a waiter, which is fun and pays well, so i can buy my own stuff

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
My dad (the only parent I have alive.) supports me.He provides for me food, a home to live in , pays bills, drives me to places I need to go, clothes, school supplies when I went to school, basically everything I need to live. I feel kind of bad for him considering he has to support 3 boys on his own, two of them in their 20s and also support his own life. He's not in the best financial situation himself. His job barely gives him enough to help us survive. Though I'm grateful for all that he provides for me. He's been trying to get me to support myself more by not buying me anything I want, only mostly the things I really need. I've been looking for a job so I can support myself more and can buy my own food and things I want. Also to be able to maybe pay my own bills and have more control over my life. I can also help support my dad and make his job raising us easier. At 20,I think it's still OK for me to still live with my dad, though I should really start taking care of myself. I have some responsibilities and my dad tells me more and more that I need to "let go" and so does my older brother who's gonna be 22 in 10 days. My little brother's only 17 and he has a job, cell phone, car, and he's paying bills and taxes. He'll be graduating this year too and is thinking of going to a college where he'll have to live in a dorm most of the year. Right now he's way more responsible than I am and he's 3 years younger. That's kind of sad to me so I've really been trying to step up and learn to take care of myself.

Back