• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Modern use of the English language

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Honestly, this thread was inspired by the one entitled "sup" made in this forum. It got me thinking, many years ago, "sup" wouldn't have been a used word at all. Or even an acknowledged one. The English language is changing in many ways from shortening of words and phrases (for example "sup", "innit", etc.) to use of abbreviations ("omg", "brb", etc. mostly online.). How do you feel about the way that English is changing? Do you consider it to be 'degrading' or simply evolving? Do you think we should really care at all? How about how people speak online and in text messages? Overall what do you think of modern English?

While we're on this topic, how do you feel about swearing? Is it ever useful or necessary? Do people do it too much? Etc?!

Discuss!

btw just because we are discussing swearing here does not allow you to bypass the swear filter.

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
I wouldn't consider this evolving, nor degradation. Rather, it's simply changing or adding what's used for certain words (no matter how much someone dislikes the addition), like how "thou" became "you". However, there certainly is some kind of devolving going on if someone actually has to use "sup" in daily conversation instead of even "What's up?" or "How're you?"

On the topic of swearing, I do believe it to be useful such as in the case of tolerating pain, making exaggerations or denoting severity, but it's definitely not necessary; and many people do swear "too much," in the sense that it becomes a core part of their vocabulary.

White_Arcanine

Lonely and annoying.
Years
As long as I don't open an English textbook in 10-11 years and see "brb" is a word, I'm okay. And as for swearing, it really depends on the situation.

Years
Well considering the English language during its early years was considered language of the rebellious, I think it's only natural that its prominent users change the language and evolve it to suit them.

Tangent:
Did you know that Language formation and evolution is genetically embedded in our DNA.

droomph

weeb
Years
Languages will mutate its words and create anomalies when it's widely used.

Considering most of the world speaks English at least somewhat, it's no wonder that we create these abbreviations.

And swearing? I don't think it's wrong at all, but I find that changing your moral standards helps with not swearing. However, I'm not saying that it's right or wrong! Follow the rules as much as you can, because that's what's right! If someone feels like swearing is wrong, respect them. If they think it's right, don't go out of your way to censor yourself, to make yourself look like a prick, and respect them.

SamuJake

I beat Red when I was 8' bro.
Years
Don't all languages have slang? I think people are just using more slang words instead of the actual word, in my opinion I don't really mind if it's on the internet. But I would defiantly hate it for someone to write using slang words or abbreviations on a piece of paper or while talking to me. Again I wouldn't like it if someone was constantly using slang words/abbreviations in a serious conversation with me online or not. As long as people know how to use the actual english language properly, I don't really care if they use abbreviations on the internet. I actually hate it more when they make hundreds of mistakes and put spaces in between fullstops. And for swearing I don't really care, if it's just with friends and it wouldn't bother anyone else, I wouldn't care, but if it's in a public area with lots of others, I'd find it rude. Or same goes in front of my parents.

Years
Cultures have always been saying this about the changing of their languages. Language is a very fluid thing, and it makes sense that it would mirror the changes in the world and in society reagrdless of what language it is.

Crux

Evermore
Years
I hope that you're not mixing up english and american. :l

English:
I would like a pudding cup please.

American:
yo man i wont a puddin cup.

Texting abbreviations are fine IMLTHO (sorry couldn't help it xD,no that has not affected my opinion) as in a busy world everyone wants to do things faster,and faster.
No,I think the English language is fine...it's american that needs help. :/

Years

English:

American:

Texting abbreviations are fine IMLTHO (sorry couldn't help it xD,no that has not affected my opinion) as in a busy world everyone wants to do things faster,and faster.

You do realize that you're making a big generalization there. Not every American talks in that kind of slang. That goes for anybody speaking any slang derivative of any language.

Aura Vitae

Down, Sword Hand!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 23, 2019

English:

American:

Honestly that is a rather large generalization you're making there. Not everybody in America talks like that and you misspelled want. I'm not going to deny that somewhere in America there's someone who might talk like that but that example is not representative of the whole.

Autistic Lucario

Life is too short not to enjoy
Years
I've noticed that there seems to be a growing interest in the Japanese language. We're already borrowing words from Japanese. When I watched Japanese TV shows, I noticed that they used quite a bit of English here and there. Japanese is becoming quite popular in the West while English is becoming popular in the East, especially in Japan.

Years
Just read that "omnishambles" is the Oxford English Dictionary's word of the year. "GIF" is the Oxford English Dictionary's American word of the year (beating out contender "yolo"). What a contrast. Of course these things are meant to highlight new and odd words. I'm sure it wouldn't be exciting to name already known and common words, and maybe that's why we're changing our language so much, adding all these new words. We always want something new.

Which isn't bad by itself, but it does bug me a little when everyone picks up on something and tries to use it like it's a natural part of their vocabulary. Partially that's just me going against the bandwagon, but I also don't like when you've got people ostensibly speaking the same language who don't have any idea what each other are saying because of weird slang. I mean, I thought "omnishambles" was a bit of satire and not a word that people have apparently used.

I've noticed that there seems to be a growing interest in the Japanese language. We're already borrowing words from Japanese. When I watched Japanese TV shows, I noticed that they used quite a bit of English here and there. Japanese is becoming quite popular in the West while English is becoming popular in the East, especially in Japan.
The English language has been a part of Japan since the end of WWII. It's taught in all the schools. But English isn't borrowing much from Japanese though, at least outside of niche fandoms. I mean, we have some well known words like ninja, kimono, and sushi, and some ones you wouldn't normally think of as Japanese like honcho, typhoon, and rickshaw, but that's about it for the vast majority of English speakers.

Fuyuki~

Banned
Years
I suppose whether it is evolving or devolving depends on who you ask. I personally think it both evolving and devolving at the same time. Stupid online **** like "omg" and "lol" wouldn't exactly be evolving. And that swag and yolo ****? Hashtags and the like? All these freaking buzzwords annoy the crap out of me and are only muttered by dumbass teens that don't even know the meaning of what the hell they're spouting other than that it's hip and trendy to say.

I am extremely ashamed of my generation. If I ever hear someone say "NUMBERYOLO" or "NUMBERSWAG" I feel like walking up to them and slapping their dumbass to the moon.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018

English:

American:

American isn't a language. Unless you mean American English, then specify because that's like saying someone is "speaking Mexican."

However, I blame it on how fast-paced our world is becoming. Nobody has time to text out "be right back" so everything is compacted as much as possible. I loathe this part of society, as everyone complains how miserable they are but can't seem to find out why.

Also I'm a huge hypocrite with swearing, I don't like it but I do swear. It depends on the person and situation, though.

Back