• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Gym Leader

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
KantoJohtoGymLeaders.jpg
Which is your favorite gym leader, and why?

Additionally, what region do you generally think has the best mix of gym leaders? (or most of your favorites, perhaps)

The picture only shows Kanto and Johto gym leaders from G/S/C, but all gym leaders from gen I - gen VI are included in the question ;) Koga and Giovanni and Juan and Wallace alike.​

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm a big fan of Flannery. She treats her Pokémon as if they're her own little brothers and sisters, and her never-say-die attitude is a nice touch; her personality fits me the best. (: When I first battled her in Pokémon Ruby, she provided me with quite a tough match. Sceptile was the strongest member of my team, and at that time, it was about five to six levels higher than all of her Pokémon. She was still able to have it defeated, though. With only one Overheat from Torkoal, Sceptile turned into ashes. I've beaten her eventually, but it just took me a long time. Along with Flannery, I also like Clair and Wallace. They're both quite intellectual, and are always testing your skills. Flannery was hard, but these two—they were impossible to beat.

Which region had the best mixture of gym leaders? I'm not sure… maybe Sinnoh. Either that, or Unova. xD Gym leaders of Unova battled pretty strategically. If you wanted to have them defeated, then you were required to outsmart them.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
Years
My favorite gym leader of all time....... is Wattson. I will admit, this is one of the few gym leaders I struggled with, but that's not why I like him. I think he rocks because of his personality. As a jovial old man he constantly laughs, which reminds me of my own grandpa. He's always laughing, even in defeat. He seems like the type of guy I'd like to hang out with, and share a drink or two.

As for the overall best leaders, look no farther than Johto. Filled with tons of great leaders with tons of personality (I'm looking at you Clair) and also introducing the most infamously hard gym leader of all time, (do I even need to tell you?) Whitney.

damientheomen3

Muffintop, Esq.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 12, 2022
Without a doubt, Morty. There's just something about his design and his typing and everything like that that I just like a lot. I also like his name. shrug.jpg

I think the first gen has the best set of gym leaders though. Erika's the only one I don't really like. I also love the second gen's representation of the first gen gyms, with Blue being one of my favorite gym leaders as well.

datgreentea

nomnomnom ^^
Years
When I was young, I especially had a knack for Morty and Sabrina, as they were owners of such mysterious and eerie types of Pokemon (or so I thought at the age of 9). These days, I would say Clair definitely stands atop as one of my all-time favorites as well. Just love her Dragons. <3

I feel as though the best mixture of gym leaders is equivalent to the difficulty of the game itself. For the Kanos region, I would say, was one of the easiest. The gyms were fairly easy to pass through, had you had a diverse team. Personally, I think the best mixture of gyms are Hoenn and Sinnoh. The games weren't especially hard, but I had fun configuring my teams to beat each gym.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
I think Kanto had the best mix of gym leaders overall, requiring different strategies and Pokemon to be used for each gym.
My favorite gym leader overall though? I haven't thought about this in awhile, but I think I'll go with a tie between Lenora and Candice. Lenora was just a very interesting personality in the Black and White games, you got to see more of her than you do a lot of the gym leaders. I really liked Candice in the anime, she was a bit perky and uppity, but she was still a caring, well developed character that seemed the kind of person is want to be friends with.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Koga was cool :3 I like how he progressed from Gym Leader to E4 member over the time gap.

I also like the designs of the newer GEN6 Gym Leaders however, after one play through, I don't really remember their names ><. Korrina is cool though.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Wallace. Freakin' Wallace. He's supposed to be Gym Leader, but he's suddenly E4. How? He's too good a Gym Leader. But gotta admit, Wallace is freakin' awesome.

Alright, if you're considering him as Champion then I would say Brock just because he has a neat counterpart in the anime. Plus, he's pretty cool and he has Fossil Pokémon. Take him to Kalos and he might just get himself Tyrantrum.

I always thought Hoenn had good gyms (being a Hoenn enthusiast and whatnot) especially the choice few like WALLACE, Flannery, Tate&Liza, Wattson and perhaps Brawly. They are pretty cool and I have to say they show good difference in personalities.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I also like the designs of the newer GEN6 Gym Leaders however, after one play through, I don't really remember their names ><. Korrina is cool though.
I would be guilty of this as well haha.

I quite like Drayden. Sadly he becomes usurped as 8th Gym Leader, and his counterpart Iris goes on to become the champion haha but he's still pretty cool.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
Probably Morty. I mean, game wise anyway. He's so cute in the games. As far as anime goes, I'd have to say well... hm. I don't know. I've never paid much attention to the anime gym leaders. o.o

I also thought Jasmine was really cute. She's so shy, yet considerate to others. I thought that was something really adorable about her.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
My favorite gym leader is Misty, because of the anime and the fact that I like Cerulean more than Pewter.

Years
Marlon is my fave Gym Leader ever, I love his hairstyle plus he uses my fave type, which is Water.

Some of my other notable faves include Misty, Clemont, Valerie, Cilan, Cress, Chili, Viola, Olympia, Elesa, Skyla, Roxie, Iris (well she is a Gym Leader in White), Whitney, Candice, Volkner, Jasmine and Korrina. So yeah, notice how I love a lot of ones from recent generations? I secretly think the designs got cooler with the newer games.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Hm.. no doubt that my favorite Gym Leader is Erika.
Her Pokemon and her just styled beautifully. But having a second one might be Morty.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
Jasmine. She's shy and soft-spoken on the outside, but on the inside, she has a calm, collected, kind, compassionate and tough heart which makes Steel-type Pokemon perfect for her. Her personality resonates quite strongly with me probably because she kinda closely resembles my own in a way.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
Years
  • Age 35
  • US
  • Seen Aug 7, 2016
The original two Gens had the most unique gym leaders IMO. No one else seemed that memorable to me, or they tried too hard to make them seem quirky but they ultimately didn't really impact me much.

That said, it's hard to pick a favourite. Ones I really liked:

Giovanni (crime overlord AND gym leader? duuuude)

Blue (how awesome is it that your rival from the first game becomes a gym leader?)

Falkner (I love the traditional Japanese dojo style thing he had going on)

Lt. Surge (general from a war!)

Koga (an actual ninja who becomes an e4 member because of how awesome he is)

Morty (Only ghost type leader, I loved how ominous his style and gym was)

That's about it. Can't really decide on one!

Back