• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Writers Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Okay, before in the other FF section I posted a script series with writers wanted, it changed a bit and I was going to do a story but it got locked... so now I want to ask here for writers in my script series. This will be about Chris, a 13-year old and Jessica, his friend.

Episode Guide:

1.1. TBA by Bradley
1.2. TBA by TBA
1.3. TBA by TBA
1.4. TBA by TBA
1.5. TBA by Bradley
1.6. TBA by Bradley
1.7. TBA by TBA
1.8. TBA by TBA
1.9. TBA by TBA
1.10. TBA by TBA
1.11. TBA by TBA
1.12. TBA by Bradley
1.13. TBA by Bradley
1.14. TBA by Bradley

Please reply here and then I'll give you an episode to write and PM you the storyline :).

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
So... wait. You're in a fanfiction forum, and... you don't want to write the majority of your story?

No offense intended, but that logic doesn't entirely make sense to me. If you're asking for a collaboration effort, I'm sure that'd be kosher. However, it looks like what you're doing here is basically taking only a handful of episodes and leaving the rest to whoever wants it.

Moreover, I'm not sure why you listed the episodes here. I mean, we have no idea what's going on in any part of this fanfiction. So, if we took episode ten, for example, we won't know what happened in episodes one through nine. Unfortunately, to write a story, you kinda need to know what happens in the first chapters in order to build the content for the current one you're working on. For some writers, what you plan on happening and what's actually put down on paper ends up being slightly different due to length or other circumstances in the finer details. (For example, a battle might inadvertently cause a character to break his right arm. If he's right-handed, this ends up affecting a number of chapters in the future.) Or, shortly put, you're basically asking us to write blind, and there's a risk that there's going to be inconsistencies unless you control every single detail we put into the fic.

...Which then means that you're probably better off just writing the fic yourself.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
This is the problem I have with co-authoring *not looking at anyone in particular* Not to mention the fact that you've posted duplicate threads, and the original was probably locked for a reason.

Years
*Sighs* Look, this is a SERIES, which means other people write episodes, that's why if they sign up I PM them with a shopping list and a storyline so the series progresses well. Call it simple writing.

Jeez, talk about making people feel welcome.

Also, I didn't know about the two threads, this forum was lagging like mad earlier and I've only just noticed the two threads.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
*Sighs* Look, this is a SERIES, which means other people write episodes,

Which circles back to that massive paragraph I wrote about how someone who requests to do an episode in the middle of the line (read: anywhere after the first) can't because we don't know what happened after the first episode. You can give us a shopping list, but in order to get the details to come out in a way that allows the story to fit together, you need either to do it linearly (as in, you partner up with someone and share ideas, passing the story back and forth so the two of you can add a little bit each time while still seeing the entire product) or just do it yourself. The latter's ideal because of the fact that some writers tend to deviate from the plans they've actually made for a story.

Jeez, talk about making people feel welcome.

We'd welcome you just fine. The problem is you're implying that you're taking lazy routes when it comes to writing stories. No offense or anything, but out of fourteen chapters, you've signed up to write only six. Before this, your story thread was closed because you didn't actually write a story to accompany it, and right now, you're implying that you want us to write your ideas for you. Not exactly the best way to win over a writing community, sorry to say.

Misheard Whisper

Years
We're picky, you see, and most of us are experienced writers who have enough smarts to see that a) dis ain't gon' woik, y'all, and b) you're trying to get out of writing your own fic.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Yes, most of us here are experienced writers(particularly those frequent posters at the FFL) and we find it demeaning to work together and take orders from some new writer who's too lazy to write his own fic we don't take too kindly to people abusing using our creative juices to fuel his own fic. Furthermore, you won't even write it yourself and yet you waltz in here and dare ask us ask us to write a fic for you.

Honey, if you'd actually read what he wrote/read my commentary instead of automatically jump on the bandwagon like you did for his fic thread (instead of, you know, actually thought things through and used the post report button like you should have), you'd know that he does actually want to write part of it. The problem is:

1. He's only actually writing less than half of it. (My point in my first post and half my second.)
2. Beyond that, he's giving us a list of things he wants to have happen in his fic to get us to write for him. (Harshly put, but that's basically it.)

Which means technically, he's writing less than half the fic and dictating how he wants us to write the rest. In that sense, he's probably better off just writing the whole thing by himself to maintain control over what happens and get the results he wants. After all, a collaboration isn't this.

To be clearer, a collaboration is a fic in which two or more people get together to share ideas and write a story bit by bit in a linear fashion. As in, if you and I wanted to do a collaboration, we'd brainstorm together and then start passing the work back and forth between ourselves to add a little more to the story. We wouldn't jump ahead and write the sixth chapter without having been able to see what went on in the first. That's flying blind.

(And yes, I know this is a series, Bradley. The problem is that fanfiction just doesn't work this way. Neither do actual series, for that matter. Writers who work for a series usually don't skip around in the line of episodes, and as far as I know, they don't work solely from a shopping list. A series simply builds on past episodes, particularly if it's actually got a coherent storyline. It's exactly like trying to write a book but writing the sixth chapter before you write the first five. It just doesn't work.)

It's not even an issue of including tiny details like Chekhov's Guns and whatnot. It's an issue of whether or not you actually follow the planned plot or if you accidentally wander away and do something else. For some people, careful outlines and shopping lists work to help them move forward, but for other authors, the moment you outline your work, that's a guarantee that whatever you put down is not going to happen in the chapter you're writing. For an egotistical example, for the past three chapters of AEM, I've planned on having a scene about Professor Oak and Tracey. Guess which two characters have yet to make another appearance.

As a side note, Xanatos Roulette is not a planned trope. It's a half-assed attempt to explain why parts of a story happened with a complete disregard to whether or not the results are logical just to make a character seem more evil. A Xanatos Gambit is when the author actually plans that kind of stuff from the beginning.

But mostly, don't use strikeout humor to insult the newbies. That makes you sound stuck up. I mean, really? "We find it demeaning to work together and take orders from some new writer"? With only one fic published online (despite the fact that you're getting help to iron out the problems), you're not exactly experienced yourself. Keep that in mind before you imply someone else is a n00b. It's a long drop from the high saddle.

Years
Fine screw it ... doesn't seem like this is the right sort of place for writers as you dont understand the concept of co writing for a script series, sorry if I annoyed you lot.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Fine screw it ... doesn't seem like this is the right sort of place for writers as you dont understand the concept of co writing for a script series, sorry if I annoyed you lot.

Actually, if anything, I don't think you fully understand. To quote it from my earlier post:

And yes, I know this is a series, Bradley. The problem is that fanfiction just doesn't work this way. Neither do actual series, for that matter. Writers who work for a series usually don't skip around in the line of episodes, and as far as I know, they don't work solely from a shopping list. A series simply builds on past episodes, particularly if it's actually got a coherent storyline. It's exactly like trying to write a book but writing the sixth chapter before you write the first five. It just doesn't work.

If you want people to do some collaboration writing for you, you've got to first learn how it's done in the first place. Do some research into it because no matter where you go, you'll most likely get a no if you ask like this in a community with serious writers.

But hey, whether you come or go is your choice. Good luck looking for another community.

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

Years
Exactly, and then being rude when you don't get what you want isn't helping either. If, for example, you provided Chapter 1 and 2, and told your coauthor what you want to happen in Chapter 3, that would be a different matter. But you're just giving empty air at the moment.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
This is pretty cool. (/sarc) I suggested and started a collaborative story at an art forum I frequent, and it went something like one person writing a chapter, someone calling the next once the previous was posted, and so on. Only rule was you couldn't call until at least two people had written between your last spot.

It was rather fun, but unfortunately went back and forth between me and two other writers. At one point someone else got involved, but he treated it as a joke and we hastily retconned it (lol).

The point being, collaborative efforts aren't at the behest of a single person. I started it, yes, but only after talking with a friend of mine and we tossed around ideas on how to start. Once there, we each went off developing new ideas and characters, pushing the story as we went and brainstorming between chapters. No one person was in charge, and anyone that believes someone should be obviously doesn't understand what it takes to write.

Feel free to try again later, once you've gotten the right mind-set. :)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I can't say I know much about scriptwriting in general, but I have read the accounts of a professional novel writer who tried his hand at co-writing a script. (It's for a movie, but whatever.) The two authors didn't pick scenes to write, and went off to write said scenes, hoping that the movie would come together perfectly. They worked from beginning to end, together.

It would be the same here. You and whoever else you have helping you write this story would work together to make sure that the scripts written by everyone mesh up together. You would all begin at the beginning of the story, working together to reach the end of the story.

You don't sit there and go "Write episode ten when we don't know what happens in episode 2 - 9." It doesn't work like that. And even if later chapters are written, it would take some editing to make them fit the storyline.

The only way this would possibly work is if it was a sitcom, where the characters don't change from one episode to the next in terms of development. If you actually wanted to do a serial, then that would require knowing how the characters change from one episode to the next.

Yes, most of us here are experienced writers(particularly those frequent posters at the FFL) and we find it demeaning to work together and take orders from some new writer who's too lazy to write his own fic we don't take too kindly to people abusing using our creative juices to fuel his own fic. Furthermore, you won't even write it yourself and yet you waltz in here and dare ask us ask us to write a fic for you.
I'm feeling that someone is missing the fine line between snark and flaming.

There are many things that influence them and the little details that could be used as chekov's guns and xanatos roulletes are crucial in the plot and subplot. If you ignore these tiny details you're going to come up with something not worth reading.
Little details? Little details?

It's not about whether or not a story has these small little "look how clever I am!" details that people don't see unless they look for them or know that they exist. It's about the storyline and the characters. If the plot is screwy (especially in a serial like Bradley was planning) or if the characters aren't consistent (which might happen if an author doesn't know how they grow over the previous course of the story to where they are now), then no one is going to read and enjoy the story. Because it doesn't make sense.

Glaring problems like a lack of consistent characterization, the plot going to crazy means, and a lack of logic are what stop people from reading. They won't care "But I used Xanatos Gambit later on!" They'll care more about the fact that you couldn't keep the characters that they are supposed to care about straight.

Neutrino

The Jelly-Stuff of legend...
Years
I don't see anything wrong with it. Series and television programmes are, generally, just as famous as books and writing, and I happen to like writing scripts. I'd join, but I'm all tied up with other fics and scripts at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back