• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rare wild Pokemon!

Years
Definitely in 3rd Generation, notably Ralts, Chimecho and Surskit. They took AGES for me to find, but basically any Pokemon with a 1% encounter rate is the worst offender, notably Cryogonal outside of winter in Black and White. It took me 5 months to eventually catch one.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I can't believe Chanseys from GEN 1 are still not mentioned. I think that was the worst experience ever.

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
Bagon. Don't get me started on those little buggers.

I literally spent.... a long enough time to fall asleep while the thing was still on trying to find one on Pearl... I fell asleep just as I found one.... that morning, my dad got pissed at me and shut my game off....

I never did catch one of those guys O_O

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Shiny.

Caught the beautiful sum-um-uh-bish and felt so great. Made sure to save 5 different times and slept good that night.

You are incredibly lucky! You actually reminded me of when I was searching for a Chimecho, back when I was playing R/S/E, it took me 45 minutes just to run into it once, I accidentally knocked it out! I kept at it though, found and caught it 5 minutes later.

In Sapphire and Emerald, I didn't go on until I caught a Ralts, which was so excruciatingly hard to find. In Black 2 and White 2, I didn't leave Flocessy Ranch until I caught Riolu.

In my opinion, Gen III had the worst. Ralts and Chimecho took me HOURS to find...

Thankfully, Ralts isn't so rare in Platinum haha, 15% encounter rate compared to the measly 4% in Gen III...

Definitely in 3rd Generation, notably Ralts, Chimecho and Surskit. They took AGES for me to find, but basically any Pokemon with a 1% encounter rate is the worst offender, notably Cryogonal outside of winter in Black and White. It took me 5 months to eventually catch one.

Ralts sure gets mentioned a lot! haha, to be honest I've been lucky with Cryogonal, usually run into it quite often outside winter months, you must of felt relieved after waiting so long to catch it! ;P

I can't believe Chanseys from GEN 1 are still not mentioned. I think that was the worst experience ever.

Just searched it's encounter rate up, 1% chance... in the Safari Zone! You're not even safe even when you find it! Tauros, Pinsir and Scyther share the same rates as well. However Chansey can also be found in the Ceruleaun cave with a 10% chance of appearing.

Bagon. Don't get me started on those little buggers.

I literally spent.... a long enough time to fall asleep while the thing was still on trying to find one on Pearl... I fell asleep just as I found one.... that morning, my dad got pissed at me and shut my game off....

I never did catch one of those guys O_O

Oh no! haha, I caught one last week on the same game actually. It didn't give me that much trouble to find... =S

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
Urgh, don't even get me started.

I will just say this: I've spent way too much time trying to find Ralts and Feebas on my Emerald and Pikachu on my LeafGreen which was a real pain!

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Honestly 5% is the sweet spot. Rare enough that you have to stop and look for it, but common enough that you don't have to waste a whole day looking.

Febass was the worst. Randomized, individual tiles to fish in? And the evolution method... GAR!

Also, ANY rare Safari Zone pokemon. The Safari Zone mini game never made sense to me.

Instead of throwing food and rocks, we should throw food and compliments.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
Years
Honestly 5% is the sweet spot. Rare enough that you have to stop and look for it, but common enough that you don't have to waste a whole day looking.

Febass was the worst. Randomized, individual tiles to fish in? And the evolution method... GAR!

Also, ANY rare Safari Zone pokemon. The Safari Zone mini game never made sense to me.

Instead of throwing food and rocks, we should throw food and compliments.

I feel your pain, Feebas= Impossible to find. Also, trying to find Taurus or Schyter were a real pain aswell since the chances to encounter them, even if you were trying to find a shiny version of them was a nightmare.

Years
It took me an elapsed time of about 8 hours trying to find and catch a Kanghaskan in pokemon Blue version...finally I decided: I'd cheat. I used the blue missingno. effect, multiplied my masterballs, went to Safari zone, picked up the scent of the Pokemon there, and then went on looking near Blaine's Island. Finally caught one...after about an hour of looking there. >.>

Altair1

Willpower
Years

Agree with you there, 1% is just tedious... However it still won't stop me from searching for it unless I can find it later in the game with a higher encounter rate (if I don't want it on my team).

Feebas= Impossible to find

I must admit, I've never tried looking for Feebas in R/S/E though. I find rare Pokemon really tempting to go after, looking for and eventually catching one is rewarding really.

It took me an elapsed time of about 8 hours trying to find and catch a Kanghaskan in pokemon Blue version...finally I decided: I'd cheat. I used the blue missingno. effect, multiplied my masterballs, went to Safari zone, picked up the scent of the Pokemon there, and then went on looking near Blaine's Island. Finally caught one...after about an hour of looking there. >.>

I wonder how long it would have taken if you didn't cheat! o.O'

JesterLegacy

Random Trainer
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 4, 2013
Depends on the mood, due to the reason that I'll also search for the right nature if I find that pokemon interesting. If it is more than an hour and still no luck, I'll probably give it another try some other time.

Altair1

Willpower
Years
Depends on the mood, due to the reason that I'll also search for the right nature if I find that pokemon interesting. If it is more than an hour and still no luck, I'll probably give it another try some other time.

I don't bother with natures if looking for a rare team member, I'd rather breed it. Ain't nobody got time for that! ;P

*sigh* At the moment I'm hunting a Mantyke in Platinum, taking a while, it's encounter rate is 10% ... At least Rotom is getting some good training.

Sindrie

Eevee breeder and caretaker
Years
I spent 3 hours trying to catch yanma in soul silver it has a whole 1% catch rate but I finally got it!

Altair1

Willpower
Years
I spent 3 hours trying to catch yanma in soul silver it has a whole 1% catch rate but I finally got it!

The longest I've ever took to find and catch a Pokemon was like around an hour? It was on Pokemon Ruby or Emerald, one of which, I was looking for a Chimecho at Mt. Pyre...

But when you do finally catch the Pokemon you're after, it's such a great feeling I'll admit! ^_^

HaiImNate

Ice Cream
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2013
Definitely Tynamo in Chargestone cave in White. Feebas also seem inmpossible to catch in DPPT. Not super rare, but Ditto are kind of hard to catch too.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
I love this about Pokémon games! It makes the journey of catching them all feel like a big achievement.

Urgh don't even talk to me about those ones.

I spent hours in one playthrough of Diamond or Pearl looking for the fabled Feebas, only to get frustrated and give up.

and now I'm playing through Diamond. Sunday just gone I went into Wayward cave and spent hours wandering lost looking for Gible only to find I WAS IN THE WRONG DARN CAVE. *mumble grumble* "Sorry Mario, you're Gible's in another cave that you can't access right now. But lol look at how nooby you are running around lost in here" :/
Tell me about it! I spent 9 hours on a Saturday night looking for a Feebas in Diamond/Pearl--don't ask how or why but I legitimately counted those hours--only to realize I was in the wrong cave.

Years
Though most need not worry about it as you can get this Pokemon from in-game trade or other games much more easily, Beldum in HGSS Safari Zone is worth a mention. Not only is it rare but it also comes with a measly catch rate of 0.3% that you have to use a Safari ball in couple of turns for.

Also regarding Feebas... I got very, very lucky and found it around 5th or 6th tile I was looking for. I caught a box full of Feebas as soon as I found that spot.

Back