• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Football/Soccer Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2012
Madrid's players -- mainly Pepe, Fabio C., and Carvalho -- should have seen red cards. I watched the game out of boredom, but the tackles Madrid committed were just stupid and reckless. As for Pepe's fake acting (which was funny), this happens only once, whereas Bousquets does that every single game he plays in, and I doubt Pepe does this against other teams, lol. I'm still surprised that after so many tackles, Messi still cannot be injured, especially from the tackle from Carvahlo; it was a serious tackle.

Also, we have to consider Madrid's absentees and injured list in this game. Carvalho just came from injury, Di Maria injured, Arbeloa red card, Altintop out of position (thought he performed well), Higauin out of form.

Madrid are out. The Cup final will be between Barcelona and Athletic B.

Years
There's too many El Clasicos for it to be interesting anymore.

I'd prefer Madrid to win them because I'm sick of Barcelona's style and diving.

Drogba could be joining Anelka in China. It seems the Chinese league has became the super MLS.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
I think Mourinho has changed his ways after supercopa games, which is good.

Pepe was disgraceful and Coentrao & Carvalho were absolutely woeful, but I can't help but hate majority of barcelona squad, especially Boozkets who constantly dives and feigns injuries on the pitch. I'm sick and tired of it.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
There's too many El Clasicos for it to be interesting anymore.

I'd prefer Madrid to win them because I'm sick of Barcelona's style and diving.

Does Pepe's brain-melting collapse after being slightly brushed aside by Fàbregas in the last match count as 'diving'? Or was it so indescribable that requires a new cathegory? I guess Busquets got a bad name for his action during the Inter Semifinal, but it's hard to say that Barcelona are the divers if you only watch the last two matches, where Madrid decided to do all the theatrics alone.

Anyway, it's in a point when the match is not entertaining because of the football (I have seen Real Betis play an incredibly exciting football against Barça last Sunday- they even came back from 2-0 down at Camp Nou to a draw before Alexis scored the winner), but because of the tension and how Madrid are becoming incresingly desperate to beat Barcelona.

I'm eager to see Mourinho's 10th Clásico starting XI in two years- will he add a couple more of defenders? I'm sure there is still some room for a few more, you can always bench Alonso and Higuaín and play a 8-0-2.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Years
but it's hard to say that Barcelona are the divers if you only watch the last two matches

They don't dive as much now (mind you, they still do if you watch them, but not as dramatic), but have you seen their face-clutching and "writhing around" spree last season against Real Madrid (in CL and copa)? They do have the world's greatest players, but their sportsmanship is horrible.

I'm not defending Real Madrid either, they have their own divers, but Barcelona takes it to a whole new level.

From what I've seen of Norwich so far this season, I think Lambert is a class manager.

NCFC have surprised me with their promotion last year. Being 7-1 down at home to league one rivals Colchester only two and half years ago and now they're at this level playing against some of the best clubs in the world such as Man Utd, Arsenal... It's a stunning turnaround.

Oh, and I've just watched the bundesliga tables after I heard gladbach beat bayern 3-1... can't believe they're in second place still. I remember last year they've been deep in relegation zone for a long time and they barely survived with relegation playoffs. What happened to them? @_@

Last edited:
Years
Great Game, i watched it live on TV, and it was certainly worth my time. The most important person behind M'gladbach's sudden success is most likely not Reus but trainer Lucien Favre and his tactics. With - I think the last guy was Frontzeck - they had the worst defense of the entire league, now they overtook Bayern and are in the first place in that department. The only real personality change is ter Stegen becoming the #1, and, even though the world cup of 2002 said something different and ter Stegen already among the best with his 19 years, a good keeper alone is not everything. Fascinating how much just a different trainer can change - and with Hertha BSC Berlin, Favre wasn't even too successful.
What really surprises me though is that Gladbach wasn't morally devastated like everyone was expecting because their only real star Reus and key player Neustädter announced that they're leaving very recently.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Fernando Torres....Oh wow. His moment of the game was tracking back into his own box to defend. Anyway, first shut out of the season and a "bonus point" for us so I'm pretty happy.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
NUIWHVUIEBVUWBVUWBVUOWBVUOW GODDAMN IT BALIOTELLI

Absolutely stole a draw against Man City from us with a penalty AFTER the last minute. He shouldn't have even been on the goddamn pitch for what he tried to do to Scott Parker earlier. |:

Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2012
The penalty was blatant so there is nothing to talk about there. As for Balotelli's alleged kick or whatever on Parker's face, it's seems unintentional, no; the guy lost his balance and was spinning weirdly. How could he have seen Parker behind him? Everything that Balottelli does doesn't call for attacking the guy just because of his reputation. However, there are some referees who would have given him a card, regardless if malice intended or not. Howard Webb didn't see it so he might have showed him a card if he had seen it. Actually, he would have, lol. I never been a fan of Webb. Overrated.

A draw would have been fair, yes, but if a team should have won, it should have been City. While Tottenham did their fair counterattacks in the second half and threatened Hart a lot, City were more critical on the ball. Hadn't it been for Savic inexperience that lead to the stupid mistake hence Spurs' first goal, City would have comfortably carried the day with a win. Did you see Defoe's chance at the end? That was extremely vexing, lol.

The game was one of the greatest game I have seen in the EPL. City and Tottenham play the best football at the moment. Now, Arsenal versus United should be interesting. I'm rooting for Arsenal but you never know how games turn out for United.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Years
The penalty was blatant so there is nothing to talk about there. As for Balotelli's alleged kick or whatever on Parker's face, it's seems unintentional, no; the guy lost his balance and was spinning weirdly. How could he have seen Parker behind him? Everything that Balottelli does doesn't call for attacking the guy just because of his reputation. However, there are some referees who would have given him a card, regardless if malice intended or not. Howard Webb didn't see it so he might have showed him a card if he had seen it. Actually, he would have, lol. I never been a fan of Webb. Overrated.

1417a86.jpg

Looks deliberate in my eyes. The way he forced his legs into his head is blatantly intentional (his pathetic attempt at covering this to try to make it was accident by falling over is clearly deliberate, too). He should get banned for several matches.

On Arsenal v Man Utd, I think United did deserve the win. They controlled majority of the game, and Arsenal had good couple chances themselves on counter attacks but weren't clinical enough IMO. Bizzare substitution from Wenger on Chamberlain for Arshavin. Arshavin contributed nothing to the game while Chamberlain looked dangerous (and set up assist for RVP's goal)

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2012
Well, he was a handed a four-match ban. Fully deserved. I doubt City will appeal the decision as the FA will presumably fine the club for appealing against their decision and will increase the ban.

And go Mirandes!

2Cool4Mewtwo

Years
Well, he was a handed a four-match ban. Fully deserved. I doubt City will appeal the decision as the FA will presumably fine the club for appealing against their decision and will increase the ban.

And go Mirandes!

I hope Mirandes can pull out a win. I always have softer spot for lower league clubs when it comes to cup matches. (unless they're versing us)

Ivysaur

Years
Well, ladies and gentlemen, Mirandés 2 - 1 Espanyol, aggregate 4-4, Mirandés win on away goals.

Goals: 0-1 Rui Fonte (2-4) 46'
1-1 Pablo Infante (3-4) 57'
2-1 Caneda (4-4) 93'

I also have to say that, even though I didn't know anything about Mirandés four months ago, I hadn't screamed "gol" so loudly since the World Cup final two years ago. Oh my god. That's so incredible. They are the second Third Division team to ever make it to the Cup Semifinals and hell if I wish they get to the final. It's a miracle. Pablo Infante is a true hero.

Now I can leave my usertitle for two more weeks, I guess :P

Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2012
Madrid creates the chances (around 7) and Barcelona scores two out of three chances. That's pretty unlucky from Madrid. They deserve at least two goals from what they did in the first half. Granted, Barcelona's defense is so horrible that I myself who have played only a handful of times football could have scored a goal blindfolded, but Madrid were very good. Unfortunately, Madrid are losing, but at least they would have offered a good first half. The second half is for Barcelona; Madrid have nothing to play for anymore. A big result for Barcelona will only be a result of Madrid's failure to convert their first half chances into actual goals, not because they were the superior side.

EDIT: Now that is what I'm talking about. 2 goals. I will be thrilled with a 3rd. I doubt it though.
EDIT 2: Ramos' red card was controversial. Ramos hit Bousquets on his left chin, but somehow, his whole face started hurting. What kind of sorcery is this? I'm sorry, people, but Madrid deserves to win. The referee wasn't great in some of his decisions. Barcelona do not deserve a win from this game. They had possession, though. Pepe, however, should enter WWE.

Oh well. Madrid didn't lose, that's probably a good thing. I lol'd when Pepe started clapping at the referees.

Last edited:

2Cool4Mewtwo

Years
Madrid creates the chances (around 7) and Barcelona scores two out of three chances. That's pretty unlucky from Madrid. They deserve at least two goals from what they did in the first half. Granted, Barcelona's defense is so horrible that I myself who have played only a handful of times football could have scored a goal blindfolded, but Madrid were very good. Unfortunately, Madrid are losing, but at least they would have offered a good first half. The second half is for Barcelona; Madrid have nothing to play for anymore. A big result for Barcelona will only be a result of Madrid's failure to convert their first half chances into actual goals, not because they were the superior side.

EDIT: Now that is what I'm talking about. 2 goals. I will be thrilled with a 3rd. I doubt it though.
EDIT 2: Ramos' red card was..just wow. Does Bosquets like to die? I'm sorry, people, but Madrid deserves to win. The referee wasn't great in some of his decisions. Barcelona do not deserve a thing from this game.

I have to give newfound respect to biscuits. He dives and gets players in trouble and/or sent off, and he literally doesn't give a flying **** about it. What an utter ****. Players like those shouldn't be allowed to play football. It doesn't mitigate Pepe's horrible reputation, though.

In all honesty, I thought Real Madrid would capitulate and lose 4/5-0 after half time, but they came back from 2 goals and gave barca a good game.

Since Real played so well, I guess they could challenge Manchester City for Moral Champions League Final 2012.

Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2012
I have a somehow off-topic question.

I saw some fans from Barcelona holding boards that say "Barcelona beat Spain". I was seriously dumbfounded. I am aware of the whole Catalan independence, but taking this into this game seems a little irrelevant. Does it convey a political message, or do the Catalans suffer from superiority complex?

On-topic:

I didn't watch Liverpool vs City, but I saw some replies regarding an unfair penalty handed over to Liverpool.

Ivysaur

Years
I saw some fans from Barcelona holding boards that say "Barcelona beat Spain". I was seriously dumbfounded. I am aware of the whole Catalan independence, but taking this into this game seems a little irrelevant. Does it convey a political message, or do the Catalans suffer from superiority complex?

They kind of do, or at least a sizeable amount of them. It's a running gag in clásicos though, Madrid supporters chant "**** Barça and **** Catalonia", and Catalans chant "Catalonia is not Spain" or derivatives.

Also the referee was the most hideous thing ever. He could have sent off four people (Lass before half-time, he booked Casillas instead ¿?; Pepe, Alves and Busquets)... and instead sends off Ramos for god-knows-what. I just cannot understand it.

Madrid was fairly superior but Barcelona had an incredibly good aim. Now I wonder what would have happened if Madrid had played like this last week instead of gifting Barça the match. Will Mourinho ever learn, or will he keep his tactics until a desaster like this forces him to actually tell his players to -gasp- play football?

Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2012
Pepe wasn't punished for the stamp on Messi's hand. I'm not sure why the Spanish FA interpreted the incident as an unintentional offense. It was ridiculously blatant.

The referees in Spain and England are probably the worst. They destroy games with their inability to properly do their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back