• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Previous PotM Winner][JUNE] What is the one quote you live by, if any?

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
My parents, them being religious (liberally -- we stopped going to church when I was about nine years old), taught me two rules to live by:

1. Treat others how you want to be treated.
  2. Don't judge a book by its cover.
My mother's a hypocrite and my father missed quite a lot of his kids' lives, but these lessons were ingrained in me nonetheless, and I appreciate the fact that I was able to learn them in a variety of environments where they could be put to the test.

I came across the concept of karma some time before I turned ten, too; I felt that it tied in well with the first rule, and it's served me well for the little things. (Now I just need to be able to stand up to my hypocrite of a mother and things'll really start going my way. :3 )

Last edited:

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
Whenever I'm in a rut or feeling down and helpless, I always utter these words in my head:-

So it goes.

FayAurora

Dark-Type Trainer/Breeder
Years
  • Seen Jul 16, 2013
A few quotes that immediately came to mind were some ones that have helped me with my life, some that I will never forget.

Saying goodbye is one of the most painful ways to solve a problem. But sometimes it's necessary.
My old pastor from a long time ago taught me this quote when his son, who was like a brother to me, died while serving in the ARMY. He told me this quote, and said I should never be afraid of losing someone I love, because the pain I feel when I lose them shows how true of a love I felt.

Moving on doesn't mean forgetting, it means you choose happiness over hurt.
A friend taught me this one probably a year or so ago. I was having a lot of problems in life all at once, and one of those problems was my biological dad. He wasn't the greatest man alive, nor the best dad, and he didn't try too hard to keep in contact with me, and one day he called and I couldn't answer because I was in school, and he said he was going to stop 'trying' and he cut off all communication with me, and I explained this to my friend, and that quote is what she told me, saying I shouldn't have to fight so hard for something that maybe wasn't met to be.

You are always free to do something that makes you smile.
This one was taught by my mother. When my parents got divorced and my oldest brother went into the NAVY, my mom signed me and her up for ballroom dancing class, and that's where I learned about fencing. I was so fascinated when I first saw it, so my mom signed me up for a class. I enjoyed it so much, but I knew we were kind of on a tight budget, but my mom told me this quote and signed me up for more classes, just wanting me to be happy.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Do not feel envious of the happiness of those who live in a fool's paradise, for only a fool will think that it is happiness.
Even if I can be carefree and get laughter from the most stupidest of things, I have a strange policy on my head for myself to always better myself, to not accept being worse than someone at something. I know my interpretation of the quote above is completely wrong, but it was that quote which made me think of that. I don't like being over-joyed over something I've done when I know someone else is doing it better than me, and when I know that I can get to his level by trying. I always want to come out on top if I'm passionate about something. This has helped but also given consequences in the past.

After I'm dead, I would rather people ask why I have no monument, then why I have one.
I would rather do something great and have less people know me for it rather than be famed for something I didn't do. I guess again I've interpreted the quote differently than most people but you know what, it's what you think that counts. I say that quotes are only there to make you think; how you take the message is up to you.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
Years
The quote by Immortal Technique "I see the world beyond the white and the black"

Overlooking colour and race and seeing each other as one, as brothers and sisters.

The world is bleeding as it is we do not need more hate. We do not need black or Latino or Asian women to believe they are not beautiful because they are not white. I've seen this happen a lot of times and countless of times it hurts. So with that said all women are beautiful and deserve to feel beautiful and blessed because they are all unique in their own exquisite ways.

Years
I'd like to add a knew quote to my current list of one (haha).

You know what, it's what you think that counts. I say that quotes are only there to make you think; how you take the message is up to you. - Scyke

It just sums everything up perfectly if you ask me. We shouldn't mindlessly abide the norms it is our own interpretation of things that counts and it is up to us what we do with that interpretation. Long live the philosopher Scyke!

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
I'd like to add a knew quote to my current list of one (haha).

You know what, it's what you think that counts. I say that quotes are only there to make you think; how you take the message is up to you. - Scyke

It just sums everything up perfectly if you ask me. We shouldn't mindlessly abide the norms it is our own interpretation of things that counts and it is up to us what we do with that interpretation. Long live the philosopher Scyke!

Duuude, I was trying to be serious haha ;) glad I could inspire someone. If this is called inspiration. I think it is.

(kinda an off-topic post, sorry!)

BraveNewWorld

The Breaker
Years
The quote by Immortal Technique "I see the world beyond the white and the black"

Overlooking colour and race and seeing each other as one, as brothers and sisters.

The world is bleeding as it is we do not need more hate. We do not need black or Latino or Asian women to believe they are not beautiful because they are not white. I've seen this happen a lot of times and countless of times it hurts. So with that said all women are beautiful and deserve to feel beautiful and blessed because they are all unique in their own exquisite ways.

So many good Immortal Technique quotes, so little time.

Some of my favorite quotes of all time are from one single song.

"The mind of a child is where the revolution begins."

"Ignorance is venomous and murders the soul, spreading like a virus running rampant out of control."

"If the solution has never been to look in yourself, how is it that you expect to find in anywhere else?"

"Even though we survived through the struggle that made us, we still look at ourselves through the eyes of people that hate us."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXtQE-MhY5k

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
"Maze-treaders, whose vision ahead and behind is severely constricted and fragmented, suffer confusion, whereas maze-viewers, who see the pattern whole, from above or in a diagram, are dazzled by its complex artistry. What you see depends on where you stand, and thus, at one and the same time, labyrinths are single (there is one physical structure) and double; they simultaneously incorporate order and disorder, clarity and confusion, unity and multiplicity, artistry and chaos. They may be perceived as a path (a linear but circuitous passage to a goal) or as a pattern (a complete symmetrical design)..Our perception of labyrinths is thus intrinsically unstable: change your perspective and the labyrinth seems to change."

Kinda long but it encapsulates how I experience and view the world, its problems, and its people- and also my personal issues, fears, opinions, and judgments.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2013
It's note the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

God only gives His toughest battles to His strongest soldiers.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Do not weep; do not wax indignant. Understand.
— Baruch Spinoza​
I found myself to embody or at least subscribe to this before I discovered the quote. I have since remembered it due to, perhaps, it being reasonably succinct and as how I might write something. I find the only thing I can do in life which seems meaningful is be wise; having the patience to observe fully and so understand everything within one's experience is, I suppose, an unspeakable joy. Again, the quote hasn't directed me; I've just come across it and find it an adequate descriptor for my life's directive.

One should not utter a word about his own inadequacies. In the Oko it says: "When a man lets out a single word, the long and short of him will be known."
— Takeda Nobushige​
Rather difficult to elaborate on, without doing what it says not to. I hate for my sincerity to be devalued by petty folk with sight for nothing but aberrance in me.

Last edited:

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
i do have some special quotes which is favorite but i don't live by a special one....i find new quotes i make my own quotes i hear other people saying quotes i like..so i end up having lots of quotes i remember with a situation!!

The Most beautiful days are the ones we haven't lived yet and the most beautiful dreams are those we haven't achieve still and the most hurtful pains are that ones we haven't suffer yet....if only i knew what's coming in life next, i would've left for myself some words to remember.....stay strong me!..

Original Quote by Paul Eluard and i added a few words myself to it...first time i saw that was written by my father on his college book..loooong time ago!! it felt like the book was talking to me! (:

KidCarter93

PokéTech Guy
Years
Both of the following are both education based and ever since I first heard of them, I've always believed in them and known them to be completely true.

Knowledge Is Power - Sir Francis Bacon
A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana

Knowledge of course brings us power and that can never be disproved. It can obviously bring us the kind of power which can bring evil deeds upon the world but it can also foster friendships and loving across the world aswell. If I didn't have knowledge about a certain race/creed/person etc. then I may keep away from it/them as I don't know what could happen. If I gather the relevant knowledge first, I can confront it with the understanding and great things could potentially blossom from that.

Onto the next quote. When I was going through school, my dad always used to make me read encyclopaedias rather than going out and playing with friends. Even though it was a forced education, I don't regret that it happened at all because it taught me so many things about the world and it's cultures/traditions that I would have never have learnt about in school. Even since leaving school, in my spare time I'll often just research things about the past just because I find it all fascinating.

That's the reasons why I've always believed in those quotes and they've never done me wrong.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
"We can't let fear stop us. I'm not afraid of the darkness!"
Well, i'm trying to live by that quote more, anyways.

Also;

"Welcome to the REAL world....at least we have flowers!!!!"
^ I only just resently came up with that quote in partual rem state (aka, right after waking up) to help me not concider death or hospitalization next time I think of the ones who bother me the most......

A lot of my inspirational quotes tend to be from or are inspired by my dreams xD

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
Teh one that is in my Sig, well underneath it:

"Don't bother with those who just don't matter, only bother with the good ones in your life who make you smile for real."

-----------------------------------v

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2016
"Getting over a painful experience is much like crossing monkey bars. You have to let go at some point in order to move forward." - C.S. Lewis

"Trouble is inevitable
Misery if optional"
- Joel Osteen

I heard these quotes throughout the course of the last 7 days. It's helped me. :)

Years
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Not sure who said it but they are right in many ways. I don't take this to mean we should act childish throughout our whole lives. I take this in the sense that we will get older and life is going to change on us, this is inevitable, but that is no reason to let go of what makes us happy, be it our friends or our hobbies. If you let go of these things you may be alive but you aren't living.

Back