• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
> "It will have some Nuzlockes, Monotypes, Solos, speed runs, etc. People on your team gather and sign up for slots in the challenges"

> "It will have some Nuzlockes, Monotypes, Solos, speed runs, etc."

> "It will have some Nuzlockes"

> "Nuzlockes"

Count me in :DD

Hallylicious

アラン
Years
Not sure how well this would work or if it would catch on.

But what about a challenge where you can ONLY use the 5 pokeballs the professor gives you at the start of the game. If you blow all 5 on one pokemon or fail to catch one at all then your stuck with the pokemon you have for the rest of the game.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
There would have to be a rule for HM slaves. Because if you start with a Charmander and then blow your Pokeballs on Pidgeys, you can't get across water at all.

And I'm glad everyone likes the idea. I think we should publish the first sign up sheet in the notices right as it hits summer, to give us the most time. So I think we should take these 5 months to make sure everything will run smoothly.

Last edited:

The Lord of Smug
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
Is there a way to be on the organizational committee of that event? If so, I'm interested.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Not sure how well this would work or if it would catch on.

But what about a challenge where you can ONLY use the 5 pokeballs the professor gives you at the start of the game. If you blow all 5 on one pokemon or fail to catch one at all then your stuck with the pokemon you have for the rest of the game.

I think we had one, but it's not active anymore. Feel free to remake it. I also feel bad for the poor sucker that ends up having to keep a Beedrill on the squad.

Also, I'm...never posting in here at 2 AM. Ever. Again. :|

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
As active as you think Summer will be, where I live I will have no break what-so-ever. SO having it in the summer won't really be the best for me. Because that's the busiest time of the year for me.

Years
Your cool idea gave me a cool idea! Pokecommunity should hold a cup of sorts. We have a signup time. Everyone who wants to participate in the cup signs up. Then, two teams are made, with an equal balance of experienced people, new people, and people in between. Then, we'll have two different drafts, one for the experienced people and one for the new people (so that there will be more Pokemon available). We'll set some rules like total number of rounds, maybe a "salary cap", etc. Then, we will publish another signup sheet. It will have some Nuzlockes, Monotypes, Solos, speed runs, etc. People on your team gather and sign up for slots in the challenges. We'll discuss beforehand if we want just one challenge per person, or if we want two, etc. People gather and discuss because some people won't have a strong team for Monotypes, but have one really strong solo runner. They'll sign up for a solo challenge most likely. You can only use your own Pokemon, not your teammates. After you have everyone on your team signed up, the other team's lineup would be revealed. Then you start playing your assigned challenge, and fastest completion (by in game time) of the challenge wins! There will be like a one month period to finish or else you forfeit and the other team wins. Whichever team gets the most points by the end of the month wins!
This is something we're definetly doing, I agree with Syd though, we can save it for break. I'd rather we give points for each someone time a certain type challenge with their team, and we can have divisions/brackets if too many sign up and we don't have enough evo lines to hand out. We'll have a lot of time to plan it out so it's fair and fun. Legends will be barred from participation, of course.
This is going to be amazing.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years
Attempting to get White to work is holding my challenges back...it keeps freezing when
Spoiler:

I will kick myself so that I can get up the lyrics challenge. Now. xD

In response to myrrhman's challenge idea, I would love to join that. Hopefully I can be an asset to whatever team I'm on.

Years
Attempting to get White to work is holding my challenges back...it keeps freezing when
Spoiler:

I will kick myself so that I can get up the lyrics challenge. Now. xD

In response to myrrhman's challenge idea, I would love to join that. Hopefully I can be an asset to whatever team I'm on.

If you're using no$gba, then that's going to happen, sorry bro.
Anyhow, I really like the idea of teams, I imagine members' "Challenge Points" adding up to give the team a total.Myrrh and I will get everything squared away on AIM, hopefully.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
Your cool idea gave me a cool idea! Pokecommunity should hold a cup of sorts. We have a signup time. Everyone who wants to participate in the cup signs up. Then, two teams are made, with an equal balance of experienced people, new people, and people in between. Then, we'll have two different drafts, one for the experienced people and one for the new people (so that there will be more Pokemon available). We'll set some rules like total number of rounds, maybe a "salary cap", etc. Then, we will publish another signup sheet. It will have some Nuzlockes, Monotypes, Solos, speed runs, etc. People on your team gather and sign up for slots in the challenges. We'll discuss beforehand if we want just one challenge per person, or if we want two, etc. People gather and discuss because some people won't have a strong team for Monotypes, but have one really strong solo runner. They'll sign up for a solo challenge most likely. You can only use your own Pokemon, not your teammates. After you have everyone on your team signed up, the other team's lineup would be revealed. Then you start playing your assigned challenge, and fastest completion (by in game time) of the challenge wins! There will be like a one month period to finish or else you forfeit and the other team wins. Whichever team gets the most points by the end of the month wins!

I'll join, and attempt to do a Monotype. I'm pretty decent at those (as soon as I can figure out how to beat the Johto E4 that is...lol)

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
I'll join, and attempt to do a Monotype. I'm pretty decent at those (as soon as I can figure out how to beat the Johto E4 that is...lol)
But that's not that hard... Just get someone that can learn the punches. Duo/Trio with them and you'll be very highly leveled.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years
Got White to work. 8D Which means I can continue on Pearl without anything bothering me.
slaps herself so she posts the thread /finally did it. 8D

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Inferno hurt herself in confusion!

But yeah, Karpman and I were talking on AIM and these were the general agreements we came up with (a lot of these ideas we've already discussed, but now it looks a little prettier)

• There would be two teams with balanced members on each side. A committee (set up here, soon) will check and balance the teams out.
  • Once the teams are set up, we will move on to a draft. Selections would be based off of families, not individual Pokemon. I think there are around 290 families of Pokemon, and I imagined somewhere around 10 families per person, which would allow up to 29 participants. If we have more than that, I think we should do an upper (more experienced) division and a lower (less experienced) division. The two teams would stay the same, just for the selection of Pokemon, you are put into divisions.
  • For the draft, Pokemon will be arranged based on how good they are, and assigned a number ranging from something like 1-5. During the draft, there will be a number (subject to change, but I say something around 30) that cannot be exceeded with your 10 pokemon. This way, certain teams won't be too much better than other teams. It will be more about diversity over pure power.
  • After all the Pokemon are distributed, a new sign up sheet is introduced. This will have a certain number of monotypes, solo challenges, Nuzlockes, etc. for the team members to sign up for. They will not know this/have access to this list until they pick Pokemon, so they can't really plan on making certain teams for every challenge, because they won't know exactly how many of each challenge there will be.
  • After each team has signed up on the second sheet, you will "race" by in game time on livestream. The first person to finish the challenge wins points for their team. Certain "harder" challenges will be worth more points than the "easier" challenges. If the person you are racing does not do their challenge in a certain amount of time, they are disqualified and you win by default.
For the point totals, Karpman and I are planning on each making a rough draft of what we think the values should be, and then comparing notes. You guys can join in if you want. What do you think about the whole thing?

stargate1995

Mr. Flying Pickle Monster
Years
Inferno hurt herself in confusion!

But yeah, Karpman and I were talking on AIM and these were the general agreements we came up with (a lot of these ideas we've already discussed, but now it looks a little prettier)

• There would be two teams with balanced members on each side. A committee (set up here, soon) will check and balance the teams out.
  • Once the teams are set up, we will move on to a draft. Selections would be based off of families, not individual Pokemon. I think there are around 290 families of Pokemon, and I imagined somewhere around 10 families per person, which would allow up to 29 participants. If we have more than that, I think we should do an upper (more experienced) division and a lower (less experienced) division. The two teams would stay the same, just for the selection of Pokemon, you are put into divisions.
  • For the draft, Pokemon will be arranged based on how good they are, and assigned a number ranging from something like 1-5. During the draft, there will be a number (subject to change, but I say something around 30) that cannot be exceeded with your 10 pokemon. This way, certain teams won't be too much better than other teams. It will be more about diversity over pure power.
  • After all the Pokemon are distributed, a new sign up sheet is introduced. This will have a certain number of monotypes, solo challenges, Nuzlockes, etc. for the team members to sign up for. They will not know this/have access to this list until they pick Pokemon, so they can't really plan on making certain teams for every challenge, because they won't know exactly how many of each challenge there will be.
  • After each team has signed up on the second sheet, you will "race" by in game time on livestream. The first person to finish the challenge wins points for their team. Certain "harder" challenges will be worth more points than the "easier" challenges. If the person you are racing does not do their challenge in a certain amount of time, they are disqualified and you win by default.
For the point totals, Karpman and I are planning on each making a rough draft of what we think the values should be, and then comparing notes. You guys can join in if you want. What do you think about the whole thing?

Hmm this sounds good, but will there be certain rules about the 2x speed button on emulators, or will we not even be allowed emulators? Anyway I'm a bit confused about the live stream stuff seen as I've never used it.

Just a question, Say I join up to a solo challenge and am assigned with the following families:
Bulbusaur-Venusuar, Growlithe-Arcanine, Ryhdon-Rhyperior, Dratini-Dragonite, Hoppip-Jumpluff, Unown, Wurmple-Dustox/Beautifly, Feebas-Milotic, Gible-Garchomp and Dokkora-Roopushin.
I then pick to solo with Bulbasaur through Venusuar, once I have finished the first challenge if I do another challenge am I limited to the pokemon that I have already been given, the same pokemon as I used before or am I given a completely new set of pokemon?

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
So wait, for people on Nuzlocke how will that work? If a certain group (or person) has 10 families, will you start off the game with those 10, or will you still have to take the chance of "not find the Pokemon on the First encounter" or will you have infinate times to catch that Pokeon, but capture that Pokemon once.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
I have a question for you challengers.
I'm seriously considering pulling out my old GBA (yes, that old dusty thing) and playing through my game of Ruby again. I want to partake in a challenge when I play through this time, instead of my standard Swampert/Torkoal/Tropius run. What challenge would you people recommend for one who only vaguely remembers the layout of Hoenn?

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
Nuzlocke and Monotypes are the best.

If you want more spice go for the Survival Challenge.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Hmm this sounds good, but will there be certain rules about the 2x speed button on emulators, or will we not even be allowed emulators? Anyway I'm a bit confused about the live stream stuff seen as I've never used it.

Just a question, Say I join up to a solo challenge and am assigned with the following families:
Bulbusaur-Venusuar, Growlithe-Arcanine, Ryhdon-Rhyperior, Dratini-Dragonite, Hoppip-Jumpluff, Unown, Wurmple-Dustox/Beautifly, Feebas-Milotic, Gible-Garchomp and Dokkora-Roopushin.
I then pick to solo with Bulbasaur through Venusuar, once I have finished the first challenge if I do another challenge am I limited to the pokemon that I have already been given, the same pokemon as I used before or am I given a completely new set of pokemon?
We might not even need to care about the 2x speed. Since we're going with in game time (At least I think we should), if you use the speed button, that will only hurt your time if you hit a wall.

I thought that it would be more like everyone just has one or two challenges to do. That way, the number of challenges completed stays the same and makes it easier on the committee to see who won.
So wait, for people on Nuzlocke how will that work? If a certain group (or person) has 10 families, will you start off the game with those 10, or will you still have to take the chance of "not find the Pokemon on the First encounter" or will you have infinate times to catch that Pokemon, but capture that Pokemon once.
I was thinking about that. I'm thinking that if you're doing a Nuzlocke, since the Nuzlocke challenge basically completely goes against this challenge, if you end up picking Nuzlocke for your challenge, the Pokemon that you use for the draft just don't matter. That's still okay if we choose to have everyone do two challenges each, because then you can pick a Nuzlocke and a non Nuzlocke and still need the Pokemon you picked. If we only do one challenge per person, then you probably want to pick worse Pokemon, because your team would need the better ones. I've also thought about breaking the draft instead of a free for all and going against everyone, breaking into teams and each team gets to choose through all the Pokemon.
I have a question for you challengers.
I'm seriously considering pulling out my old GBA (yes, that old dusty thing) and playing through my game of Ruby again. I want to partake in a challenge when I play through this time, instead of my standard Swampert/Torkoal/Tropius run. What challenge would you people recommend for one who only vaguely remembers the layout of Hoenn?
Hmmm, well Nuzlocke would always be fun, especially if you don't remember the region very well. Honestly, I would stay away from a solo, because I always want to use Swampert (he's just so good, what can I say?) You might want to try a monotype to force yourself to use more than just Swampert, or pick a type that's not water or ground.

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
I really do think we should use myrrh's idea as a Challenge Get-Together. Like I mentioned before, this could help gain more members to our community, making Challenges an important forum. 8) hooray !

Years

I brought up the idea that all challenges should be done on a Universal SS ROM with all trade/sinnoh evos enabled to happen by level/happiness, whilst talking with Myrrh. The challenges will be done on Livestream with a Host watching (if one of the hosts are busy we can find a replacement supervisor) and any cheaters will be barred from further participation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back