• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best RPG of All Time?

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I'm not playing any "opinion cards," I'm telling you that the fact that you think the game is shallow is your opinion. And me thinking that it's a good game is also my opinion.
I completely disagree with your opinion of it being boring, simple, brainless, and lacking depth. Why? Because that's my view on the game. And I understand that you dislike it, but don't try to make it look like I'm "denying" that it's factually a bad game because you hate it so much. There's two sides to it, which makes it an opinionated reality. There's nothing set in stone that says "This is a terrible game!", so just leave it at that.
I'm not gonna point out that someone's choice of the best RPG is really a bad game, their opinion is wrong, and their just denying that it's such a bad game because of their love for it blahblahblah...
Sorry for arguing, but that just got to me a bit.
No worries, I enjoy having a discussion about the quality of a video game software. It brings out the gamer in me, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, regarding your post. Never, ever have I said in my post that Skyrim is "boring, simple, brainless and lacking depth", because that was all towards specifically the combat of the game. I've other problems with the game itself, but most of them are personal problems - stuff ~I~ just don't like. However, the combat IS bad, poorly thought out and bland. Whether the game itself is bad or not, is arguable, but I've no say in that especially since I have not put that many times into it myself, but it shouldn't take me 100 hours to understand that the combat is very, very poor. And thus, I feel it shouldn't be eligible to be considered the best RPG game if there is as big of a flaw as that. (No matter how good the game is.)

Anyway, some notable mentions to my list would the God of War and the Gears of War series. I'm not sure if anyone else loved these games as much as I did, but I felt like I was there in the setting.
I'm a fantasy/sci-fi kind of guy, so these hit my sweet-tooth. They've taken current knowledge of history and the future and stretched them and stretched your imagination.
Former is an Action game and latter is a Third-Person Shooter. Neither series are RPGs in any way.

Years
Anyway, regarding your post. Never, ever have I said in my post that Skyrim is "boring, simple, brainless and lacking depth", because that was all towards specifically the combat of the game. I've other problems with the game itself, but most of them are personal problems - stuff ~I~ just don't like. However, the combat IS bad, poorly thought out and bland. Whether the game itself is bad or not, is arguable, but I've no say in that especially since I have not put that many times into it myself, but it shouldn't take me 100 hours to understand that the combat is very, very poor. And thus, I feel it shouldn't be eligible to be considered the best RPG game if there is as big of a flaw as that. (No matter how good the game is.)
What don't you enjoy about the combat? What aspect of it makes it that poor?
Considering all the detail and everything else they do in the game, I think there is a bit of leeway for the combat not to be the greatest. The time they spend on the game now is amazing, and they have to split it up to be able to finish the development ready for release. If they spent more time on the combat, people would start to lose interest in The Elder Scrolls series, as that would probably add another year to it's release date. I'm sure with the newer technology being used, they will update combat. The only thing I really mind about the combat is the time it takes to kill someone as opposed to real-life, but then the game would be boring, wouldn't it? Just one hit to kill somebody.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
What don't you enjoy about the combat? What aspect of it makes it that poor?
Considering all the detail and everything else they do in the game, I think there is a bit of leeway for the combat not to be the greatest. The time they spend on the game now is amazing, and they have to split it up to be able to finish the development ready for release. If they spent more time on the combat, people would start to lose interest in The Elder Scrolls series, as that would probably add another year to it's release date. I'm sure with the newer technology being used, they will update combat. The only thing I really mind about the combat is the time it takes to kill someone as opposed to real-life, but then the game would be boring, wouldn't it? Just one hit to kill somebody.
The game IS rushed. Have you seen all the bugs/glitches, framerate drops and occasional hiccups? The PS3 version in particular is UNPLAYABLE. (20 to 0 fps? Get out of here.) The game is a technical mess, and it only indicates the game has got out of the oven far too early. The combat is already barebones, with nothing special about it generally speaking, so I think another development year for the game would have made it MUCH MUCH better.

Years
The game IS rushed. Have you seen all the bugs/glitches, framerate drops and occasional hiccups? The PS3 version in particular is UNPLAYABLE. (20 to 0 fps? Get out of here.) The game is a technical mess, and it only indicates the game has got out of the oven far too early. The combat is already barebones, with nothing special about it generally speaking, so I think another development year for the game would have made it MUCH MUCH better.
To be fair, Oblivion didn't have as much technical issues. But, every game has some glitches, especially when there is so much variety towards it. I don't think a game will ever be perfect. A game without glitches would not be the same, glitches are often humorous and are quite rare to come across. In Skyrim, I don't genuinely get annoyed at the game when I come across a glitch. They please millions of people already, and I don't think putting an extra year in development will be much help to them, especially when you have the biggest fans highly anticipating it's release. Obviously, the game will progress as time goes on; in combat, animations, graphics etc. so we'll just have to see where the 6th installment of the series brings us.

Mr. Magius

  
Years
The thing about modern gaming is that the developers can simply update the game after they've released it, which they have done.. So it's allowed to be a little raw. Plus, the company saves a load of money releasing it early and updating it later, rather than spending an entirely extra year just to fine-tune it. As Pave Low said, glitches can give the game a nice touch :-)

By the way, isn't the low FPS on the PS3 due to Skyrim being such a massive game?

Praisedscooter

Gym Leader wannabe
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2012
Favorite RPG? That's gotta be Bowser's Inside Story. So many twists and turns, and that cartoony humor just hit it home. Plus the final boss fight theme is nothing to laugh at.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
Years
Going to swing it back to the asia side of things and put in another vote for Persona series~ Not as mainstream as some other jrpg titles, but it's certainly gaining momentum and popularity. Those who liked other jrpgs should definitely give them a try!

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
All of the Mothers, and that's almost it. I like each Mother game for different reasons, though. I think Mother 3 looks and sounds the best, but I still like Mother's story more. Mother 2/EarthBound touches me the most with its childlike sense of whimsy.

Paper Mario is a good secondary, despite the fact that I never finished the 2nd game (it's really good, I just never completed it). The first Paper Mario still holds up everywhere except the sound department for me. I used to really love the music to that game. I mean, really love it. But now, it's kind of bland and empty. I dunno what happened to me. :(

I've only played the first Mario and Luigi, but the humor was worth it.

And then there's Pokemon. A series I've all but forgotten at this point, so I'm not really counting it.

I think that's every RPG I've ever played. Oh, and Super Mario RPG, which I didn't care for. But it's pretty plain to see I like the humorous, cartoon inspired ones with a modern setting.

Years
Nope, I refuse. I can't decide my favourite RPG ever... so here's a list of my top three.
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. Yes, I know there are two excellent sequels to this game, Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story. Bowser's Inside Story came close to my fave in the series, but Superstar Saga was one of the first RPGs I played, and is so memorable/nostalgic for me.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. This game is amazing. Sticker Star was good, and Super Paper Mario wasn't terrible, but Thousand Year Door is one of, if not the best RPGs of all time. It's just so magical; the gameplay, the music, the characters... no game may possibly come close again.

Dragon Quest IX. This game is just packed. Packed with stuff to do and things to see. The main story itself takes around 70 hours for a casual gamer like me to finish. And then there's pretty much an infinite amount of post-story content. It just goes on and on and on... and that's an excellent thing.

♚ Here's looking at you, kid.
Years
How can I decide? There are so many great ones to choose from.You have Skyrim, for its awesome graphics and intriguing storyline (though repetitive at some points with quests/caves); Diablo, for the sheer awesomeness of the game; and many more. Though I do suppose I can find one that I appreciate more.

The Mass Effect series. Great concept, good design, and the trilogy's end (beloved Mass Effect 3) made me sit there at my computer for a good whole hour staring at the computer screen wondering "what could I have done different?"

Because of these reasons, Mass Effect gets my vote every time.

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
Years
I loved the Mother Series, especially the second one. Earthbound in America was without a doubt one of the most interesting and quirky RPGs ever made. I really liked how the battles ran in real time, like how your HP decreasing while taking your next move, allowing to save that character by healing them. Same with Mother 1 and 3, I enjoyed playing them so my favorite RPG(s) vote is for the Mother series.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Final Fantasy IX, with no comparison.

That game is absolutely amazing. It involves some of the best compositions by Nobuo Uematsu, clear character development throughout the game, and I especially like the story.

Sure, there are other very good RPG games out there too but FFIX is my personal favourite. I'd recommend it for anybody who would like to see something different in a game.

For sure Seiken Densetsu 3. I love it.
The bad thing is that's so underrated for it's quality of gameplay and plot...
Agreed, SD3 is way underrated compared to how good it is.

Gideon Jeremiah

The giving Pokèmon breeder
Years
For myself, it is an endless tie between Final Fantasy IX, Chrono Trigger & Radiant Historia.

Final Fantasy IX: This game is simply glorious. Character development, atmosphere, plotline, & the finale. It all speaks of a glorious ends to the PSX lifecycle (yet it holds up even today).

Chrono Trigger: This games soundtrack alone is enough to sell it. Particularly "Memories of Green"; but the characters, plot & Zeal all make it amazing! (Yes, Zeal is that wondrous of a period in the game).

Radiant Historia: It is difficult to explain why this game is so fantastic, without giving a large # of spoilers. However, it's soundtrack, plotline & gameplay mechanics are perfect. If you make a mistake in your choices, or in your battles; it is solely your fault, not the games.

Final Fantasy IX, with no comparison.

That game is absolutely amazing. It involves some of the best compositions by Nobuo Uematsu, clear character development throughout the game, and I especially like the story.

Sure, there are other very good RPG games out there too but FFIX is my personal favourite. I'd recommend it for anybody who would like to see something different in a game.

I agree with you, in every sense of the word.
The few who appreciate Final Fantasy IX are becoming fewer & fewer over these last few years.
It's wonderful to see that there are some of us here. :D

Last edited:

Nerdy Mojo

No Lifer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
mine would be a tie between Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

Morrowind was very much the premier hardcore rpg of its time as far as single player rpgs go.it was way more difficult than subsequent TES games in that spells could fail if your skill in whatever magic school you were using was not high enough,no compass so you had to either follow directions or figure it out yourself,etc. i still remember the gamestore employee gushing about this game and veritably shoving it into my hands back in 05 or sometime close. i still play this game btw even currently.

Oblivion was the transition between morrowind being hardcore and skyrim being really watered down IMO as it still had some complexitly but you could see that Bethesda was beggining the seriously streamline the experience. i still feel that skyrim is a great game but a not really that hardcore rpg niche that morrowind was and that TES used to represent.

Diablo and WoW are games i spent alot of time with so they get an honourable mention....

Years
mine would be a tie between Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

Morrowind was very much the premier hardcore rpg of its time as far as single player rpgs go.it was way more difficult than subsequent TES games in that spells could fail if your skill in whatever magic school you were using was not high enough,no compass so you had to either follow directions or figure it out yourself,etc. i still remember the gamestore employee gushing about this game and veritably shoving it into my hands back in 05 or sometime close. i still play this game btw even currently.

Oblivion was the transition between morrowind being hardcore and skyrim being really watered down IMO as it still had some complexitly but you could see that Bethesda was beggining the seriously streamline the experience. i still feel that skyrim is a great game but a not really that hardcore rpg niche that morrowind was and that TES used to represent.

Diablo and WoW are games i spent alot of time with so they get an honourable mention....
I've always seen Skyrim as a huge step up from Oblivion; although Oblivion was very fun, it was a lot of the same, especially with the start of the main quest which got very boring. I always thought that the towns especially were very similar in some respects having the same kinds of stores but just varied in size and setting. Skyrim is a lot more detailed, and there is just more to do with a huge variety. There are way more skills and the game is more down-to-the-user even though games both were, but Skyrim more heavily. I agree with you about Morrowind compared to Skyrim, but Oblivion...definitely not. I think the Skyrim really shows how much TES has to offer and it has somewhere to go, Oblivion did not offer as much.

Nerdy Mojo

No Lifer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
I've always seen Skyrim as a huge step up from Oblivion; although Oblivion was very fun, it was a lot of the same, especially with the start of the main quest which got very boring. I always thought that the towns especially were very similar in some respects having the same kinds of stores but just varied in size and setting. Skyrim is a lot more detailed, and there is just more to do with a huge variety. There are way more skills and the game is more down-to-the-user even though games both were, but Skyrim more heavily. I agree with you about Morrowind compared to Skyrim, but Oblivion...definitely not. I think the Skyrim really shows how much TES has to offer and it has somewhere to go, Oblivion did not offer as much.

yes, i was basically saying i vote for morrowind but i threw in oblivion because i really liked that one more than skyrim so it was just an honorable mention. my intent was to say that morrowind is the best rpg of all time, maybe i should have thrown in the oblivion shoutout...

yes, i was basically saying i vote for morrowind but i threw in oblivion because i really liked that one more than skyrim so it was just an honorable mention. my intent was to say that morrowind is the best rpg of all time, maybe i should have thrown oblivion in there eh?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
Definitley Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. I don't know if anybody has ever heard of this one, and most people who have absolutley hate it, but i really enjoy a game called Two Worlds. Skyrim is pretty addicting too lol.

Back