• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OU Grass team help!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I created a grass monotype team and I've done pretty well in tournaments, but I need a little advice in order to get to the next level. I'm up for any advice anyone can give me.

Shiftry
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Early Bird
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Swords Dance
Seed Bomb
Sucker Punch
Nature Power

Shiftry is a pretty speedy physical attacker with a really good attack stat after a swords dance boost, having a priority move in sucker punch doesn't hurt either.

Ferrothorn
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Brave
EV's: 252 Atk, 168 SpD, 48 Def, 40 HP
Seed Bomb
Gyro Ball
Leech Seed
Protect

Ferrothorn is a mixed wall that can hit back hard after taking a hit. With protect Ferrothorn can heal back health rather easily thanks to leech seed and leftovers.

Torterra
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 HP, 252 SpD
Stealth Rock
Wood Hammer
Stone Edge
Earthquake

My usual lead and is normally able to get out a stealth rock and a few attacks before getting taken down, if not struck by ice beam first.

Breloom
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Spore
Swords Dance
Mach Punch
Bullet Seed

No grass team is quite complete without Breloom and mine is running your typical physical sweeping set.

Cradily
Item: Lum Berry
Ability: Suction Cups
Nature: Careful
EV's: 252 SpD, 252 HP, 4 Atk
Curse
Recover
Seed Bomb
Rock Slide

Cradily is my slow moving tank. When up and running (maybe walking is a better descriptor with that speed stat) Cradily is almost impossible to knock out and can strike back incredibly hard.

Tangrowth
Ability: Regenerator
Nature: Bold
EV's: 252 Def, 252 HP, 4 SpA
Giga Drain
Hidden Power Rock
Synthesis
Leech Seed

Tangrowth is my defensive wall and capable of taking a super effective brave bird from just about any pokemon without even losing half of its health. Tangrowth is also my only special attacker.

That's my team and I think my biggest problem is I need another special attacker, I'm just not sure who to switch out or who to switch in. Like I said before any type of advice is helpful and thanks in advance!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Sawsbuck does a better job than Shiftry at physical attacking because it has a better Speed stat in which to use its base 100 Attack:
-Swords Dance
-Return/Double-Edge
-Horn Leech
-Jump Kick/Nature Power
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll/Sap Sipper

Torterra should be using this bulky spread for better survivability:
-Stealth Rock
-Wood Hammer
-Earthquake
-Synthesis/Leech Seed
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/56 Atk/200 Def

Another special attacking Grass Poken to consider is Lilligant. Despite its shallow movepool, it still works because of Quiver Dance:
-Quiver Dance
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power (Fire)/Rock
-Sleep Powder
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll

While Serperior is somewhat lacking in the offensive department, it has good setup moves to compensate:
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power (Rock/Fire)/Dragon Pulse
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Thanks! I switched out Shiftry for Serperior and changed a few other things and I actually took 2nd in my last monotype tournament beating a bug team and almost beating a flying team (1 pokemon away) in the finals.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Just one more thing: Ferrothorn would rather have Power Whip than Seed Bomb because it needs the extra power; also, it can afford the occasional miss thanks to its bulkiness and typing. An entry hazard (Spikes or Stealth Rock) would also be preferred over Protect.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Thanks, I think I'll switch seed bomb with power whip, but I'm keeping protect. it has come in handy numerous times with stalling so I can heal back up with leech seed and leftovers.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Thanks, I think I'll switch seed bomb with power whip, but I'm keeping protect. it has come in handy numerous times with stalling so I can heal back up with leech seed and leftovers.

If you're going to keep Protect on Ferrothorn then replace Gyro Ball with it. Ferrothorn really doesn't need two attacking options but it absolutely needs entry hazards. Spikes is pretty much essential on Ferrothorn. Tl;dr : Spikes / Power Whip / Protect / Leech Seed.

Also, although your Tangrowth has a very attractive set, you'll get way more out of it using Sleep Powder over Synthesis because of the switches it forces. It really doesn't need Synthesis because of it's ability / Giga Drain / Leech Seed, you know? Also, HP Fire is generally better over HP Rock when using Sleep Powder -- because they pretty much accomplish the same objective.

Back