• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How's Mah Team? Tell Me What You Think

Years
Aggron-
Nature-Brave
Ability-Sturdy

Moves
-Metal Burst
-Thunder
-Earthquake
-Iron Tail

Super effective to Water types, added thunder to finish them off before they can finish me

Metagross-
Nature-Lax
Ability-Clear Body

Moves
-Meteor Mash
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Hammer Arm

Nothing to say here

Magmortar-
Nature-Gentle
Ability-Flame Body

Moves
-Earthquake
-Flamethrower
-Brick Break
-Thunder Punch

All round good PKMN

Heracross-
Nature-Brave
Ability-Guts

Moves
-Megahorn (16 PP)
-Brick Break
-Close Combat
-Horn Attack or Giga Impact?

Allround

Bastiodon-
Nature-Bashful
Ability-Sturdy

Moves
-Earthquake
-Thunderbolt
-Iron Head
-Iron Defense

Iron Defense= Evil defense stat
Earthquake destroys opponent after bad attempt to kill me

Hitmontop-
Nature-Quirky
Ability-Intimidate

-Close Combat
-Rolling Kick
-Triple Kick
-Endeavor

Bad PKMN in my opinion, so I added Endeavor JUST IN CASE

I am deciding to replace Hitmontop and Magmortar for Gengar and Gardevoir after I finish EV training them. (They're still Ralts and Haunter)

Thanks

*Please don't say anything about Black and White, for I do not have these guys there

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Hello!

I would like to apologize. I'm sorry this thread went so far down the list without any comments. :(

So, this is a 4th Gen team, right? Well, before I get into rating your Pokemon, I'd like to touch base with you on a few things. First of all, all of your Pokemon (including Gardevoir), save Metagross (and Gengar), are UU (underused). Which is absolutely fine, but you'd have to get rid of Metagross to play in it, because Metagross actually falls into the OU (overused) tier, which is standard play. If you want a little more help in identifying what tiers are look here. Second, your team is very weak to Water. So Rotom-W, Gyarados, Swampert, and the likes are going to wipe out half your team with minimal effort. You might want to look into getting a Pokemon that resists it. Also, anything that's a Fighting type is going to give your team a hard time as the only thing that resists Fighting is Heracross. I would say that Conkeldurr is a threat, but again, I'm not really sure if this is a 4th or 5th Gen team. On a good note, you do have some very nice resistances to Poison, Bug, Rock, Dark, and Ice.. just to name a few. So, well done! :) Oh, and we need the EVs of your Pokemon. If you don't know what EVs are, you can read about them here.

Now, I would love to go on to rate your Pokemon individually, but without certain information it's, more or less, impossible. Your Bastiodon, for example.

Bastiodon-
Nature-Bashful
Ability-Sturdy

Moves
-Earthquake
-Thunderbolt
-Iron Head
-Iron Defense

Iron Defense= Evil defense stat
Earthquake destroys opponent after bad attempt to kill me

Bastiodon is a UU Pokemon, which is okay, *if* you want to play in UU. If you want to play in OU, than I would recommend replacing Bastiodon with Heatran. Heatran can do everything that Bastiondon can do, but better. Bastiodon's typing is sub-par at best, its movepool is mediocre, and it's stats, save defenses, are rubbish. To be blunt, Heatran just has more going for it. (Mind you, I stated previously that you have a weakness to Water/Fighting. Heatran will not help with that. At all.)

Heatran @ Air Balloon (Air Balloon is a 5th gen item, if not this, than Leftovers.)
Flash Fire
252 HP / 252 Sp.Attack / 4 Sp.Defense
Quiet [+Sp.Attack; -Speed] / Modest [+Sp.Attack; -Speed]
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Taunt / Hidden Power [Ice]

This would probably be a good set for you as it will give you entry hazard support, something your team currently lacks. But, this brings me to a rather unfortunate part of this rate. You have some serious problems with your Pokemon that desperately need fixing if you ever want to survive in a competitive environment. Thunder Bolt..? On Bastiodon? I'm sorry, but that's just no good. Bastiodon has a lot more in its arsenal than that. I understand that Thunder Bolt sounds good for coverage, but in reality, Bastiodon can not use it with its dismal Special Attack. Now, a standard Bastiodon set could look like this: Iron Head / Toxic or Stone Edge or Earthquake / Stealth Rock / Taunt or Roar, a Careful [+Sp.Defense; -Sp.Attack] nature, 252 HP / 248 Sp.Defense / 8 Attack, and Leftovers. As you can see, this set is very similar to Heatran. Therefore, Heatran is the superior choice. Again, this all depends on what tier you want to play in.

All these things apply with your other Pokemon. Aggron shouldn't have Thunder, maybe Thunderwave, but not Thunder. It also shouldn't have a Brave nature as it doesn't bring out the best in Aggron. Now, I know very little about Aggron and his competitive value. And to me, even with the base 180 Defense, I see Aggron and I think, "Earthquake? Done." and "Focus Blast? Done". Its resistances just don't outweigh its inadequacies and in today's Metagame, Aggron just doesn't have the ability to witch in on a Choice equipped Physical Sweeper anymore. However, if you are dead set on using Aggron, the best I can recommend is: Substitute / Focus Punch / Stone Edge or Iron Head / Aqua Tail, 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP, Adamant [+Attack; -Sp.Attack] nature and Leftovers. If you want help finding a good, OU replacement for Aggron, just let us know and we'll be more than happy to help you.

The same can be said for Metagross. And unfortunately, there is much to be said about your set also. Metagross fails at attacking with Special Attacks (at least, when left to its own devices). ;[ It really does. So, Psychic and Shadow Ball are completely lost upon Metagross. The same applies for your Metagross' nature. Metagross works best when you don't add or subtract from any Defensive stat. With the recommendations I will be giving you, an Adamant nature will be in order. That way, you'll be adding 10% to the stat you use the most, and subtracting from the stat you don't use at all. Metagross likes having: Bullet Punch / Earthquake / Pursuit or Trick / Meteor Mash, 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Defense, an Adamant nature, and a Choice Band. This way, Meteor Mash and Earthquake have near perfect coverage, Earthquake hitting the three types that resist Meteor Mash. Pursuit can get those Lati twins,and Bullet Punch can make up for Metagross' "okay" Speed.

Well, there are still a few problems with this team, so I'll come back and finish this up when I find the time. Definitely edit your team with Gengar and Gardevoir's sets and we'll work from there.

I hope this was a bit helpful.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If you're still willing to use Aggron, you can go for a somewhat gimmicky Metal Burst lead set:
-Stealth Rock
-Metal Burst
-Stone Edge
-Aqua Tail/Earthquake
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
(on a side-note, Bisharp somewhat does this better due to a somewhat better typing)

Or you can use an offensive Rock Polish Aggron to fix its bad Speed and take advantage of recoil-free Head Smashes:
-Rock Polish
-Head Smash
-Earthquake
-Aqua Tail/Iron Tail
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head

Hitmontop's set doesn't seem to cut it. It's horribly walled by Ghosts, which can be remedied with this:
-Fake Out
-Mach Punch
-Close Combat/Hi Jump Kick
-Stone Edge/Sucker Punch
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Technician

or

-Rapid Spin
-Foresight/Toxic
-Close Combat/Hi Jump Kick
-Stone Edge/Sucker Punch/Rest
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Ability: Intimidate

For Heracross, use Stone Edge instead of Brick Break. Also, don't use Horn Attack or Giga Impact. Not only do they provide no coverage whatsoever, the latter leaves you a sitting duck. Use Night Slash or Pursuit.

Also, for Metagross, I'd use the Agility set:
-Agility
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Zen Headbutt/ThunderPunch/Ice Punch
EVs: 60 HP/252 Atk/196 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers/Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body

Use Thunderbolt over ThunderPunch on Magmortar since T-bolt works off of Magmortar's better Special Attack. Brick Break and Earthquake are also redundant with one another (use Hidden Power (Grass/Ice instead of Earthquake).

Years
Thanks, and sorry for the late reply.

So, here are the replacements
(Natures I got down)

Aggron-

Moves
-Stone Edge
-Aqua Tail
-Earthquake
-Iron Tail/Focus Blast

EV's
252 Attack/252 Defense/4 Sp.Defense

Metagross-

Moves
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Bullet Punch
-Hammer Arm

EV's
252 Attack/252 Defense/4 Speed

Magmortar- ????

Moves
-Earthquake
-Flamethrower
-Brick Break
-Thunder Punch

EV's
252 Attack/252 Sp.Attack/4 Speed

Heracross-
Nature-Brave
Ability-Guts

Moves
-Megahorn (16 PP)
-Night Slash
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge

EV's

Heatran :D

- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

EV's
252 HP/252 Sp.Attack/4 Sp.Defense

Magnezone

-Thunderbolt
-Discharge
-Wild Charge
-Iron Head

EV's

So, I see that Hitmontop is a bad choice so I switched it with Magnezone.
I took Alexia's choice of Heatran, PlatinumDude's Heracross set, and other stuff. Please confirm.

Thanks

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Your Magnezone isn't very good. Physical Attacks on it: no, just no. It's best to use special attacks:
-Thunderbolt
-Substitute
-Hidden Power (Ice/Grass)
-Flash Cannon/Charge Beam
Nature: Timid
EVs: 36 HP/252 SAtk/220 Spe
Item: Air Balloon/Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull

Make Heracross Adamant ands give it Choice Band/Scarf or a Life Orb

Did you see the Aggron sets I posted earlier? Also, Aggron doesn't need max Defense. It also could use Head Smash in conjunction with Rock Head and Rock Polish to fix its bad Speed. It also shouldn't use Special attacks

Try out this Magmortar:
-Fire Blast
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power (Grass/Ice)
-Cross Chop
Nature: Naughty
EVs: 64 HP/164 Atk/252 SAtk/28 Spe
Item: Expert Belt/Life Orb

Years
Oops, I forgot about Magnezone's low Attack.

So Magnezone should look like-
-Thunderbolt
-Substitute
-Flash Cannon

EVs: 36 HP/252 Sp.Atack/220 Speed

Aggron shouldn't have max Def.? I figured it's base Defense was really high already and adding more EV's would make it even higher! Welp, you seem good at this, so I'm going with it.

Aggron
-Stone Edge
-Head Smash
-Earthquake
-Rock Polish

EV's: 252 HP/252 Attack/4 Defense

Magmortar is good. I don't need to say anything to that.

So here's a relist

Aggron

-Stone Edge
-Head Smash
-Earthquake
-Rock Polish

EV's: 252 HP/252 Attack/4 Defense

Metagross-

Moves
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Bullet Punch
-Hammer Arm

EV's

Magmortar- ????

Moves
-Earthquake
-Flamethrower
-Brick Break
-Thunder Punch

EV's
252 Attack/252 Sp.Attack/4 Speed

Heracross-
Nature-Brave
Ability-Guts

Moves
-Megahorn (16 PP)
-Night Slash
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge

EV's

Heatran :D

- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power

EV's
252 HP/252 Sp.Attack/4 Sp.Defense

-Thunderbolt
-Substitute
-Flash Cannon

EVs: 36 HP/252 Sp.Atack/220 Speed

Appreciate the quick reply

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Magnezone wants either Hp Ice or Fire. Since it can trap Steel types and then kill them with Hp Fire. Hp Ice is just so you could kill dragon and ground types, since you can't really harm them outside of Flash Cannon. Also; you really don't need to run 4/252/252 on everything. ):

Heracross wants Adamant/Choice Scarf, not Brave. ;-; and the Ev's need to be 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe. It can kill a lot of stuff with it's spread and moveset. Speaking of which, it could do with Megahorn/Close Combat/Stone Edge/Pursuit. So, overall your Heracross set should be;

Heracross @Choice Band/Choice Scarf
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant/Jolly Nature
Ability: Guts
-Megahorn
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Pursuit

The Aggron set you're running now has the wrong Ev's. Even with Rock Polish you will not hit a good speed at all with no Speed Ev's or speed boosting nature.

Your team now has an ugly weakness to Water and Fighting, as well as a 5x Ground weakness. \: If you're actually going to play OU, then, Aggron and Magmortar aren't as good in it. Even with both of them gone, Metagross, Heatran and Magnezone still give you a nasty weakness to Ground moves. I'd say get rid of Metagross and Magnezone and replace them. Something like Scizor could replace Metagross. Since it has the same base attack and gives you the STAB priority that your team really needs.

Heatran is really good, so replacing it would be kinda stupid. \: Magnezone could be replaced with something that gives you a Ground/Water/Fighting resistance, like Gyarados? ;;

I've rambled enough, I'll let someone else take over and suggests some Pokemon and the correct sets.

Years
I know! Maybe I can replace Magnezone with Kingdra, Ground/Fighting/Water shouldn't do much. Is there a good replacement for Magmortar that's resists Ground/Fighting/Water?
No matter what reason, I will REFUSE to replace Metagross and Aggron.

Kingdra

-Dragon Dance -Brine
-Hydro Pump
-Dragon Pulse
-Ice Beam

EV's: 52 HP/252 Sp.Attack/100 Defense/100 Sp.Defense

Aggron's EV's should look like

This?vvvv
EV's: 100 HP/252 Attack/152 Speed

I was thinking Salamence, but it was Uber :(

I know that Grass types resist Ground/Water/Fighting, but I couldn't find any good ones. Maybe I can add Sceptile as a replacement for Magmortar.
Help?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Nah, keep Dragon Dance on Kingdra; it's one of the things it does best; it's the rest of your moves that need fixing:
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall/Hydro Pump
-Outrage
-Hidden Power (Fire)
Nature: Lonely
EVs: 252 Atk/112 SAtk/144 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim

Kingdra doesn't resist Ground and Fighting, IIRC. Dragonomega's right; use Gyarados if you don't really like Kingdra that much:
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Waterfall
-Dragon Tail/Roar
Nature: Impish
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
Ability: Intimidate

or
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Bounce
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Leftovers/Life Orb

Also, Aggron needs max Speed to take advantage of Rock Polish. It shouldn't have both Head Smash and Stone Edge; replace Stone Edge with Aqua Tail (or Iron Tail)

Perriechu

Years
I know! Maybe I can replace Magnezone with Kingdra, Ground/Fighting/Water shouldn't do much. Is there a good replacement for Magmortar that's resists Ground/Fighting/Water?
No matter what reason, I will REFUSE to replace Metagross and Aggron.

Kingdra

-Dragon Dance -Brine
-Hydro Pump
-Dragon Pulse
-Ice Beam

EV's: 52 HP/252 Sp.Attack/100 Defense/100 Sp.Defense

Aggron's EV's should look like

This?vvvv
EV's: 100 HP/252 Attack/152 Speed

I was thinking Salamence, but it was Uber :(

I know that Grass types resist Ground/Water/Fighting, but I couldn't find any good ones. Maybe I can add Sceptile as a replacement for Magmortar.
Help?

Salamence isn't Uber... Wait, are you playing 5th or 4th Gen? Sceptile is a bad choice over Magmortar. Grass doesn't resist Fighting. Sceptile has a very low defense stat meaning any strong fighting attack such as Close Combat, Drain Punch, Hi-Jump Kick etc will end it. There are better options for moves than Brine, btw. \; I'd take Platinumdudes advice and use the DD Kingdra.

Years
Well.... I am playing in 5th AND 4th gen. so, yeah, I know, 5th gen. also has strong dudes like Gigalith, Conkeldurr, Darmanitan, etc., but I'm keeping it 4/3 gen. cause I haven't really gotten used to the kinds of Pokemon there yet.

Ok, Gyrados, got it, G-bye Kingdra

-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Waterfall
-Dragon Tail/Roar

Aggron

EV's: 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 Defense

Right now, I'm liking the look of Absol, but it is overpowered by Fighting types :(

It's kinda frustrating to go through serebii.net's Pokedex just to find a top-fighting/ground/water non-super effective pokemon...

Heres a list that I might be using...

Banette
Scizor
Leavanny
Dusknoir
Shedinja
Skarmory
Dragonite
Alakazam
Mismagius

But if they are just really bad, then fine, 5th gen.
Thanks you guys for the great help :D. I'm actually learning something at the same time

P.S I'm having trouble trying to find the right natured dittos. Modest and Adamant. I got every other besides them. Any suggestions?
Getting a pokemon with Syncronise or something with the same nature just turns into another problem. I have to find even more Pokemon. I need these dittos to breed a perfect natured Pokemon

Last edited:

Perriechu

Years
Well.... I am playing in 5th AND 4th gen. so, yeah, I know, 5th gen. also has strong dudes like Gigalith, Conkeldurr, Darmanitan, etc., but I'm keeping it 4/3 gen. cause I haven't really gotten used to the kinds of Pokemon there yet.

Ok, Gyrados, got it, G-bye Kingdra

-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Waterfall
-Dragon Tail/Roar

Right now, I'm liking the look of Absol, but it is overpowered by Fighting types :(

It's kinda frustrating to go through serebii.net's Pokedex just to find a top-fighting/ground/water non-super effective pokemon...

Heres a list that I might be using...

Banette
Scizor
Leavanny
Dusknoir
Shedinja
Skarmory
Dragonite
Alakazam
Mismagius

But if they are just really bad, then fine, 5th gen.
Thanks you guys for the great help :D. I'm actually learning something at the same time

Banette, Leavanny, Shedinja are all bad. Mismagius, Alakazam, Dusknoir are really only good to use in UU. Dragonite would be a nice contender, since it resists all 3. Bulky Scizor could also help you. Skarmory, as well.

Years

Banette, Leavanny, Shedinja are all bad. Mismagius, Alakazam, Dusknoir are really only good to use in UU. Dragonite would be a nice contender, since it resists all 3. Bulky Scizor could also help you. Skarmory, as well.

Screw Magmortar, I'm going with Skarmory

Skarmory

-Night Slash
-Swords Dance
-Drill Peck
-X-Scissor -Fly -Flash Cannon

EV's 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 Defense

btw, would anyone mind battling me when my set is done? I would like to try it out ;).

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Screw Magmortar, I'm going with Skarmory

Skarmory

-Night Slash
-Swords Dance
-Drill Peck
-X-Scissor -Fly -Flash Cannon

EV's 252 Attack/252 Speed/4 Defense

btw, would anyone mind battling me when my set is done? I would like to try it out ;).

Skarmory can do much better things than what you have going on. Maybe try:

Skarmory @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Sturdy
252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Speed
Impish [+Defense; -Sp.Attack]
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird / Taunt

Skarmory works best as a physical wall, not a sweeper. And besides, Flash Cannon isn't exactly a good option considering you have an attack like Brave Bird at your disposal. It's a great STAB attack, it hits hard, it plays to Skarmory's strengths, and Skamory can heal off the recoil with ease. Drill Peck can also be used if you don't like the recoil damage, but personally, I like Brave Bird. Also, Skarmory likes having EVs in HP and Defense (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a specially defensive variation of Skarmory is viable because of its typing) simply because it can take more hits, better. Shed Shell is listed because of Magnezone, but Leftovers is probably the best and most conventional option. This is by far the most effective set for Skarmory. Layer the Spikes, which Skarmory can do with ease, heal off any damage taken with Roost, phaze set-up sweepers with Whirlwind and deal entry hazard damage to the entire team, then attack when needed. Done.

I hope this was a bit helpful! Good luck to you. Also, when you're team is done, be sure to check out Pokemon Online to test it out!

Snorelacks

Hello! You've improved this team a lot, so I thought I'd help.

Note: You didn't provide natures, abilities, or items.

Pokemon need items.

You're really so adamant about not replacing Aggron? It has 2 4x weaknesses and can't take adantage of Sturdy because it's so slow. I think Aggron is a bad Pokemon, even for NU. No offense.

Also, Leavanny is pretty good, but only on a sun team.

Magmortar is a great Pokemon, you're just using it the wrong way. It's a born Special attacker.

Magmortar @ Life Orb/Choice Specs
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)/Modest Nature (+SpAtk, -Atk)
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe
~Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Overheat
~Thunderbolt
~Focus Blast
~Will-O-Wisp/Psychic

Also, Skarmory doesn't really support your team very well, considering the number of Steel-types you have.

Could I see your team as it is envisioned after you finish reading this post?

Also, assuming this is your team:

Aggron
Metagross
Gyarados
Magmortar
Heatran
Heracross

You have a HUGE weakness to Ground, along with a fairly large one to Water, and STAB Fighting and Fire attacks aren't good for your team. So, basically, watch out for a team with both Infernape and Swampert/Gastrodon.

Also (and I'm sorry if this sounds rude), I thought you were hopeless when I saw your first post, but evidently you've made incredible strides. Good job!

Years
Whew! Boy, I have a lot of catching, breeding, hatching, leveling in my real B/W-D/P game.

Hello! You've improved this team a lot, so I thought I'd help.

Note:
You didn't provide natures, abilities, or items.

Pokemon need items.

You're really so adamant about not replacing Aggron? It has 2 4x weaknesses and can't take adantage of Sturdy because it's so slow. I think
Aggron is a bad Pokemon, even for NU. No offense.

Thanks! And I left the items, natures, and abilities because I don't really have the time to list all of them. Sorry, but now that I do have time, maybe I will relist the PKMN at the end of this post.
Also, Skarmory doesn't really support your team very well, considering the number of Steel-types you have.
:( I am a steel type fanatic. I know that Dragonite is WAAY stronger than Skarmory, but I used Skarmory anyway.
You have a HUGE weakness to Ground, along with a fairly large one to Water, and STAB Fighting and Fire attacks aren't good for your team. So, basically, watch out for a team with both Infernape and Swampert/Gastrodon.
Sadly, but I already know my strengths and weaknesses. Maybe I can take Magmortar/Skarmory out for Dragonite-despite your great response for Magmortar. I would have used him, but I am greatly outnumbered by ground/fire/water, so I have no choice, but to replace Skarmory with Dragonite instead. :( Bye Skarmory.
Also (and I'm sorry if this sounds rude), I thought you were hopeless when I saw your first post, but evidently you've made incredible strides. Good job!
It doesn't sound rude at all! :D This is the nicest sentence in my first couple months on PC I've ever heard! (Incredible strides caught my attention)
Skarmory can do much better things than what you have going on. Maybe try:

Skarmory @ Leftovers / Shed Shell
Sturdy
Impish [+Defense; -Sp.Attack]
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird / Taunt

Skarmory works best as a physical wall, not a sweeper. And besides, Flash Cannon isn't exactly a good option considering you have an attack like Brave Bird at your disposal. It's a great STAB attack, it hits hard, it plays to Skarmory's strengths, and Skamory can heal off the recoil with ease. Drill Peck can also be used if you don't like the recoil damage, but personally, I like Brave Bird. Also, Skarmory likes having EVs in HP and Defense (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a specially defensive variation of Skarmory is viable because of its typing) simply because it can take more hits, better. Shed Shell is listed because of Magnezone, but Leftovers is probably the best and most conventional option. This is by far the most effective set for Skarmory. Layer the Spikes, which Skarmory can do with ease, heal off any damage taken with Roost, phaze set-up sweepers with Whirlwind and deal entry hazard damage to the entire team, then attack when needed. Done.

I hope this was a bit helpful! Good luck to you. Also, when you're team is done, be sure to check out Pokemon Online to test it out!
Thank you! But I'm not even sure if I'm using it at all. (I might sneak it into my team using you advice every once in awhile :D)

Relist of Current Team
^ = official member
X = unofficial member
s = substitution member
!!! = MUST REVISE
UNSURE MEMBER

^Metagross @ Leftovers
Clear Body
252 Atk / 152 Def / 100 Spd
Adamant
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Bullet Punch
-Hammer arm

^Heracross @ Choice Band
Guts
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant
-Mega Horn
-Night Slash
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge

^Heatran @ Air Balloon
(I have no idea what this does, but I just know it's good from Alexia's post)
Flash Fire
252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Taunt

^Gyrados @ Leftovers
Intimidate
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Sp. Def
Jolly
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-Stone Edge

^
Dragonite @ Life Orb
Multiscale
252 HP / 212 Spd / 44 Atk
Adamant
-Dragon Claw
-Fire Punch
-Dragon Dance
-Roost

s Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Sturdy
Impish
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

s Aggron @ Leftovers
Rock Head
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Joyful/Adamant
-Head Smash
-Earthquake
-Rock Polish
-Iron Tail/Aqua Tail
By the way... Thanks!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Allow me to say, I am very, very happy that you decided to repost your team with the appropriate changes. Not a lot of people come back after the rates here give advice, and I think you're investment into your team is a reflection of how committed you are to competitive battling. I'm happy for you, and I also think you should be very proud of the team you have now. There are just a few things I'd like to cover with you first.. I highly recommend you try out this Team Builder. This will help you identify your teams threats by type. I think this will be a great asset for you and your competitive battling future! :D Now, let's move on.

phinamthi said:
Aggron @ Leftovers
Rock Head
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Joyful/Adamant
-Head Smash
-Earthquake
-Rock Polish
-Iron Tail/Dragon Tail/Aqua Tail

Aggron is still UU and will probably always be UU. Unless it goes down a tier, of course. So, the question is, do you want a Pokemon that can replace Aggron? Because there are better options in the OU tier that do the same thing and have superior typing. This is completely up to you, as your team is now more prepared for a standard play environment. So if Aggron is your personal favorite Pokemon and you refuse to replace him with anything, that is fine. But, if you started battling competitively to win, and Aggron isn't working as it should, the raters here can suggest alternatives. Again, this is up to you. But, as far as your set is concerned, the only thing I have to say about it is; it's Jolly, not Joyful. :>

phinamthi said:
Metagross @ Shell Bell
Clear Body
252 Atk / 152 Def / 100 Spd
Adamant
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Bullet Punch
-Hammer arm

For Metagross: Just use Leftovers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Leftovers heals 1/16 of your overall HP. The Shell Bell heals 1/16 of however much damage you deal during an attack. So Leftovers is always a better choice for it's consistency.

phinamthi said:
Heracross @ ---------- I was going to give him the Choice Band/Scarf from dragonomega's earlier post, but it seemed unreasonable, suggestions?
Guts
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant
-Mega Horn
-Night Slash
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge

The Choice Band/Scarf is completely reasonable. There is a major deficit for using a Choice Item, but trust me, the benefits outweigh the shortcomings. Test it out, see if it works for you, if not, you can always try the Life Orb.

phinamthi said:
Heatran @ Air Balloon (I have no idea what this does, but I just know it's good from Alexia's post)
Flash Fire
252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest
-Stealth Rock
-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Taunt

Okay, Heatran has excellent typing. But it does have a few disadvantages. Like, its weakness to Water, Fighting, and most importantly, Heatran's x4 weakness to Ground. This is where the Air Balloon comes in. When the Air Balloon is held by a Pokemon, that Pokemon is immune to Ground type attacks and Entry hazards until that Pokemon is hit with an Attack. So, let's say you switch your Heatran into a Forretress. Forretress has had time to lay Spikes and Toxic Spikes and whatever other entry hazards it sports, so, when you switch Heatran in, Heatran will not take damage from those hazards. Then, Forretress uses Earthquake! But tough cookies for Forretress, because your Heatran has an Air Balloon and is immune to Earthquake. However, if an opponent pops the Air Balloon, Heatran is subject to all Ground attacks and entry hazards, so you best predict the best time to use it. Long story short, the Air Balloon provides Heatran (or any other Pokemon you attach it to) an immunity from Ground type attacks for one turn, more often than not.

phinamthi said:
Gyrados @ Leftovers
Intimidate
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Sp. Def
Jolly
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Your Gyarados set looks pretty good. The only thing I would do is replace Earthquake for Bounce or Ice Fang. The Water/Ground coverage is pretty mediocre. With Bounce, you'll have a good STAB attack, or with Ice Fang, you can deal with opposing Dragons. But it's not like Earthquake is the end of the world, you know?

phinamthi said:
Dragonite @ Leftovers ---- Official?
Inner Focus
252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Aqua Tail
-Earthquake

Dragonite gets Multiscale. Which is infinitely superior to Inner Focus. It's really some of the very few things that separate Dragonite and Salamence. I recommend you revise your Dragonite set to something of a Bulky Attacking variant.

Dragonite @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Multiscale
252 HP / 212 Speed / 44 Attack
Adamant [+Attack; -Sp.Attack] / Jolly [+Speed; -Sp.Attack]
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed / Dragon Dance
- Roost

Roost and Multiscale make a particularly potent combination for preserving Dragonite's HP. Fire Punch will hit Bulky Grass types and Steel types. Now, some people will argue this, but I absolutely adore Dragonite with Extreme Speed. And it's excellent for picking off weakened opponents, but it can be replaced with Dragon Dance if you feel Dragonite needs the boost in Attack and Speed. Outrage / Dragon Claw are your best STAB options. However, if you're looking for an all out Attacking Dragon, you're best bet is with Salamence or Haxorus. Test it out, see how Dragonite works, and if you want suggestions for good Haxorus / Salamence sets than we'll be more than happy to help. :)

phinamthi said:
Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Sturdy
Impish
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Nice Skarmory set! ;)

Now, you're team as a whole doesn't have too many crazy weaknesses that aren't checked in one way or another. I ran your team through the team builder I linked you to above and with Dragonite on the team, there are no outstanding weaknesses. However, with Skarmory replacing Dragonite, three of your Pokemon are weak to Fire. So you're going to have to play around with what works best for you. If Skarmory is amazing and you must have it on your team, than we can work something out to replace Metagross or Aggron so you have a nice balance. Go ahead and play test. Then come back and let us know how it went. From there, you'll have a better idea of what you want/experienced and the raters will be able to give you better advice because we'll have a more diverse field to work with!

Good luck!

Years
Allow me to say, I am very, very happy that you decided to repost your team with the appropriate changes. Not a lot of people come back after the rates here give advice, and I think you're investment into your team is a reflection of how committed you are to competitive battling. I'm happy for you, and I also think you should be very proud of the team you have now. There are just a few things I'd like to cover with you first.. I highly recommend you try out this Team Builder. This will help you identify your teams threats by type. I think this will be a great asset for you and your competitive battling future! :D Now, let's move on.
Yeah, I figured, I see a bunch of other threads like this on this forum, and most don't go on that long. And about the reflection, well... not that much really. I just really hate to be called a noob all the time when I lose real badly to people on B/W Wi-Fi. (I used rare candies all the time until I learned about EV's in January and IV's 3 days ago.) I 'm learning to be more critical about the natures and a Pokemon's born higher stat and it's moves. Thanks for the Team Builder by the way, I remember using it one time, but I forgot the link.
Aggron is still UU and will probably always be UU. Unless it goes down a tier, of course. So, the question is, do you want a Pokemon that can replace Aggron? Because there are better options in the OU tier that do the same thing and have superior typing. This is completely up to you, as your team is now more prepared for a standard play environment. So if Aggron is your personal favorite Pokemon and you refuse to replace him with anything, that is fine. But, if you started battling competitively to win, and Aggron isn't working as it should, the raters here can suggest alternatives. Again, this is up to you. But, as far as your set is concerned, the only thing I have to say about it is; it's Jolly, not Joyful. :>
Sigh... I guess I could replace Aggron, but I still might sneak it in every once in awhile. Just like Skarmory ;). Oh, and I just mixed up both of the "J-o's" J-o-lly, J-o-yful. See how it looks the same? :P
For Metagross: Just use Leftovers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Leftovers heals 1/16 of your overall HP. The Shell Bell heals 1/16 of however much damage you deal during an attack. So Leftovers is always a better choice for it's consistency.
No, your right I looked it up on serebii, and that's exactly what is says.
The Choice Band/Scarf is completely reasonable. There is a major deficit for using a Choice Item, but trust me, the benefits outweigh the shortcomings. Test it out, see if it works for you, if not, you can always try the Life Orb.
Ok, I'll test it to see if it's OK
Okay, Heatran has excellent typing. But it does have a few disadvantages. Like, its weakness to Water, Fighting, and most importantly, Heatran's x4 weakness to Ground. This is where the Air Balloon comes in. When the Air Balloon is held by a Pokemon, that Pokemon is immune to Ground type attacks and Entry hazards until that Pokemon is hit with an Attack. So, let's say you switch your Heatran into a Forretress. Forretress has had time to lay Spikes and Toxic Spikes and whatever other entry hazards it sports, so, when you switch Heatran in, Heatran will not take damage from those hazards. Then, Forretress uses Earthquake! But tough cookies for Forretress, because your Heatran has an Air Balloon and is immune to Earthquake. However, if an opponent pops the Air Balloon, Heatran is subject to all Ground attacks and entry hazards, so you best predict the best time to use it. Long story short, the Air Balloon provides Heatran (or any other Pokemon you attach it to) an immunity from Ground type attacks for one turn, more often than not.
Ahhhhh... that's why you gave it the Air Balloon. I'm hoping that hacking to get right natures, fast egg breeding, hatching, and all items still makes it fair for other people...
Your Gyarados set looks pretty good. The only thing I would do is replace Earthquake for Bounce or Ice Fang. The Water/Ground coverage is pretty mediocre. With Bounce, you'll have a good STAB attack, or with Ice Fang, you can deal with opposing Dragons. But it's not like Earthquake is the end of the world, you know?
Ok, I'm going with Ice Fang
I'm going to edit the list after this post

Dragonite gets Multiscale. Which is infinitely superior to Inner Focus. It's really some of the very few things that separate Dragonite and Salamence. I recommend you revise your Dragonite set to something of a Bulky Attacking variant.
Yeah, I know about that, but the only problem is that it's only found in the Dream World am I right?

Thanks for the Dragonite set by the way it proves extremely useful in my current team
Nice Skarmory set! ;)
Thanks ;)
Now, you're team as a whole doesn't have too many crazy weaknesses that aren't checked in one way or another. I ran your team through the team builder I linked you to above and with Dragonite on the team, there are no outstanding weaknesses. However, with Skarmory replacing Dragonite, three of your Pokemon are weak to Fire. So you're going to have to play around with what works best for you. If Skarmory is amazing and you must have it on your team, than we can work something out to replace Metagross or Aggron so you have a nice balance. Go ahead and play test. Then come back and let us know how it went. From there, you'll have a better idea of what you want/experienced and the raters will be able to give you better advice because we'll have a more diverse field to work with!
Good luck!

Actually, Aggron and Metagross is amazing to me :D
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Back