• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: EVAN PETERS HAVE MY BABIES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
I would love it if my theatre did something like that, but they're a part of a chain (I think) and only do normal movie showings.

My college town had all kinds of midnight showings of classics and cult classics. That was a great way to escape from all-night studying.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I would love it if my theatre did something like that, but they're a part of a chain (I think) and only do normal movie showings.

My college town had all kinds of midnight showings of classics and cult classics. That was a great way to escape from all-night studying.
Mine's a chain. Biggest in the country.

In the spring time they do popular favourites. So I got to see Back to the Future and Jurassic Park in theatres earlier this year. They're going to do all four Indiana Jones this year! That should be fun.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Ugh. There are just too many movies out right now. Anna Karenina, The Hobbit, Lincoln, Hitchcock, Skyfall, Les Mis. Why don't they put these out during those dry months when there's nothing good to see? I can't afford to watch all these movies at the same time.
Because it's Oscar season. The logic is that voters can't remember any movies from before October, so all of the "prestige films" get backloaded into the final three months of the year to qualify for the Oscars/other award shows. At least in America. In the rest of the world, we have to wait for months afterwards, normally!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Because it's Oscar season. The logic is that voters can't remember any movies from before October, so all of the "prestige films" get backloaded into the final three months of the year to qualify for the Oscars/other award shows. At least in America. In the rest of the world, we have to wait for months afterwards, normally!

Is this the reason why summer blockbusters never win a lot of oscar awards? The summer blockbusters are what determine the quality and future of Hollywood because it's where some of the most memorable movies were released.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
The only good Christmas movie that's good this year is Rise of the Guardians, but I don't know if that counts as it also covers Easter.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
Is this the reason why summer blockbusters never win a lot of oscar awards? The summer blockbusters are what determine the quality and future of Hollywood because it's where some of the most memorable movies were released.

Producers usually work on their movies and tries to perfect them for the summer blockbusters, and usually releases it on July 4 :)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Often the big tentpole summer movies pop up in the technical categories. If you look at the Best Sound Editing/Sound Mixing Categories over the years, you'll often find a lot of blockbusters in those. Best Visual Effects and sometimes Best Editing as well. I believe all three Transformers films were nominated for the Sound awards; the final Bourne film won both Sound categories and Editing when it was nominated. Batman franchise have been good with tech noms as well. This year, I can't imagine that Dark Knight Rises/Avengers won't be nominated for at least some of the nominations mentioned above.

But as far as high-powered nominations go: Best Picture, Best Actor etc. unless the film has been rapturously received throughout the year, it's very unlikely that a summer movie will crack those top races. Which is sometimes unfortunate, as there are often a lot of hidden gems released earlier in the year that get swept under the rug come awards season.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
The summer blockbusters of this year can't really compete with Argo, sadly :( Jon would know more about this than me, but Argo is most likely going to be the Academy's darling child for the 2013 awards, getting at least the Best Picture award amongst other things.

Years
Huh. Argo must be something then. I'd only heard it was good from, er, old people who I didn't think had good taste. I'll have to put that on my list as well.

Years
The summer blockbusters of this year can't really compete with Argo, sadly :( Jon would know more about this than me, but Argo is most likely going to be the Academy's darling child for the 2013 awards, getting at least the Best Picture award amongst other things.

Right now Zero Dark Thirty's getting all the attention and buzz. WHICH FACTUAL BASED ON A TRUE STORY POLITICAL DRAMA WILL IT BE?

Years
Hey, guys, the 21st is going to be...

254313_det.jpg

this is relevant because you are discussing movies

Sir Codin

Anybody ever heard of Emperor or Wolves in the Throne Room? I've been listening to a lot of atmospheric metal recently, so if anyone knows any black/doom metal bands similar to those two with a symphonic/atmospheric flair to them, let me know.

Years
Day After Tomorrow: hurricanes cause below freezing temperatures while the icecaps melt and flood the world with more than 50 times the water actually held in the ice caps. Totally believable.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I haven't seen Argo yet but I do remember wanting to see it from the trailers. I didn't go because I couldn't get anybody to go with me and I'm co-dependent and can do nothing for or by myself.

I hope it doesn't become the golden child of the Academy Awards, though. Because, you know, Les Mis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back