• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen [GREEN]The ugliest sprites

Mentalii

Back
Years
Venusaur made me jump. My god what is that...
Actually it's very funny to see how the first designs were. They're admittedly bad looking, but this is from where everything came from. So, it gives me feels.

Sparkywalkthroughs

join the adventure
Years
It's true, Mews sprite is just waay to... well.. ugh ><!
Charizard also looks pretty funny! they even made a rom hack about Charizards Derpy face!

GryphusHUN

Water-type Champion
Years
Ugliest sprites:
1.ALL of the backsprites
2.Mew... God,please,take it away from me!
3.Mankey and Primeape,two of my favourite Pokemon.... WHY?

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
Years
Hey, don't be raggin' on the Green sprites, Ninetales is gorgeous.

...That being said, Machamp and Gengar do look kind of dorky.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Fun fact of the day!
Mew in pokemon green is meant to be based of a human foetus. It wasn't until the localised red and blue when gamefreak decided to base mew on a cat.
BTW Mew is one if the ugliest sprites in green.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat, is that true? That's awful oh god paha, Mew was definitely the first Pokémon I thought of when I came to this thread but that's insane. At least he was ugly for a reason...?

bitelaserkhalif

Falcon Punch!!
Years
[agelimit]ages 7 and over[/agelimit]
So,in your opinion,what is the ugliest sprite in Pokemon Green?
For me, it's Mew .Look at it.It's like...well...I can't really describe it
Spoiler:

So yeah...what do you think is the ugliest sprite in Pocket Monsters Midori(Pokemon Green)?

Also, Where is Graveler foot?Magnemite & Magneton is quite matched with original(now).

Weird:
Spoiler:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
Ahh as hideous as they all are, it's so nostalgic. This was long before GameFreak imagined that 8-bit monsters controlled by 10 year-olds would take the world by storm.

"I don't care if you have the drawing skills of a 6 year old, just draw a bunch of monsters so we can meet our deadline!"

I would have to say the worst is Mew. I mean...look at it. It's ugly as sin. I wouldn't actually say the rest are ugly. Just poorly drawn and kind of creepy looking. The oddish line...there's something creepy about them. They just look like walking masses of darkness. Moltres looks reallllly derpy. Eevee actually doesn't look cute, which is one heck of a feat. And Parasect looks stoned out of his mind. You could swear he looks like he's seeing into another dimension. O_O

Fun fact of the day!
Mew in pokemon green is meant to be based of a human foetus. It wasn't until the localised red and blue when gamefreak decided to base mew on a cat.
BTW Mew is one if the ugliest sprites in green.

That...actually makes sense, since he's supposed to be the progenitor of all Pokemon species. But still, why GameFreak, why??

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 25, 2013
Mew just looks like it was chewed up and spit back out x.X

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2020
I really dont like Jigglypuff or Wigglytuff.. there eyes are so creepy! but i do think that Butterfree's looks really really good and very majestic!

Nordk

Chief Harpoonist
Years
For me, it has to be Goldeen, Mew and Mankey. Goldeen looks like Stunfisk with a horn, and Mew and Mankey are, well, just plain weird...
Some of them are downright hilarious though, like Wigglytuff, Ekans, Nidoran (F) , Machamp, Muk, and Hypno.
Diglett, Shellder, Magikarp, Dratini, and Lapras look pretty good compared to some of the others.
And Lickitung and Seaking are terrifying!

Savordez

It's time to end fangames.
Years
They're all ugly as heck. What are those things, statues made out of dog's vomit with a little color? Someone really has a big imagination!

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 15, 2017
The mew sprite for sure... it looks more like a fetus. But the best would definietly have to be jolteon

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
Years
The worst sprite to me is mew, i dislike all the shape of mew in pkmn green, the face of wigglytuff is similar to a emoticon "O.o" the best sprite is persian, looks like a puma c:

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 17, 2014
It has to be Mew... Just look at him! He look like he is in horrible pain.

Back