• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
And Windows jokes a plenty! (If only Bill and his colleagues had switched to Linux...)
I think I love you. Will you marry me?

*hides behind her army of chainsaw-wielding Chansey*
...Cheap... Luckily I have a spy in your army! And although you'd think so, it's not the little, brown and furry one that carries a flamethrower around! Nope, it's not that one! I can assure you! You don't have to ask that Sent- *cough* deformed Chansey any questions!

omg u n00b dont u no that pikachu is btter?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
yeah ashs pikachu rocks but theyr all stupid like going all pikapika and running and their so boring I like eevee because its so powerful u no like it can sand atakc and alland it looks better shiny ur noob urself u meanie i hate u!!111
(Am I being contradictory here?)

Also, yes, Pikachus are indeed bitter...

I bet that if I could beg like a cat, I could take over the world! Muahahahahahaha- *hack* *cough* hack* -hahahahah!!!
No, you could not, because I do not give in to cat-begging! My cat, for example, just almost begged his eyes out in the kitchen, and all I gave him was a piece of ham, a piece od cheese and...
Oh, drats, you really could take over the world... :paranoid:

Also, I'd like to see your kitten ^-^ When this cat I call mine (we have another one, too, and he's the father of my cat) was smaller, he used to sleep in my boyfriend's hood :laugh: that sure was adorable...

Oh, and Buoysel: thanks for the link and the compliment! It felt really weird watching Pokémon dubbed in English, though... All I've ever watched are the Japanese and the Finnish versioins. The Pokémon voices are the same in Finnish and English and Ash sounds very similar. I think Japanese voice acting is best... Seeing, for example, how much more convincing Pikachu sounds than Blaziken.

By the way, what happened to the almost serious conversation?

Also, I'm reading a fic in FFNet (one that Xanthine linked in AEM) and I'm laughing my ass off. The author just introduced a girl whose hair colour is dirty blond and all of the main characters have been abandoned by their parents before they turned ten (the protagonist, I think, ran away when he was five...) because they were weak (what is this author, a spartan?). Also, the son of Grey Oak (I would suspect this is Gary) is pure evil. I'm almost expecting him to start strangling puppies.

Yeah. Haha.

Last edited:

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
Turtleking has officially left Serebii/Bulbagarden Forums due to complete ignorance of the moderators :sleeping: .

What do you think happens to a trainer's Pokemon after the trainer dies, provided that the Pokemon still live?

I think that the Pokemon would go to his or her bestfriend, a family member, or just band together or something. I never thought of anything like that and that would be an interesting fic.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I'mbackI'mbackI'mbackI'mbackI'mback! And I have an answer! A good one!

The key to the pokémon storage system is: Aura. I think that the metal used to make pokéballs (excelcium, as I decided a long long time ago) is a mystical material that resonates with the user's aura, and this resonation is detected by sensors within the ball when it is used: this is recorded digitally, and stored in some central hub somewhere. When a trainer dies, their aura ceases, and therefore the pokéball stops resonating. If this happens, the ball simply shuts off and the pokemon is no longer "owned". As long as the trainer emits an aura, the pokemon is tagged with this aura, and other pokéballs won't work on it.

WIN!

Now I need to study for a Calculus III test that I need to get an "A" or a "B" on or I fail. FAIL!

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
Please to be sharing?

Please? I need amusement today.

I explained to the community over at Bulbagarden that I would eventually stop posting there due to my own personal inactivity as far as posting on there outside of just the fanfic forum. I said that the community was not attractive or interesting to me (unlike here where I have friends :)). The mod there claimed that I was shilling for reviews because of my eventual departure.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
You're in good company. I never particularly liked BMGf in general because I kept encountering ass holes. (Not saying that the entire board's made up of them. There were decent people there. I'm just saying the ones who weren't seemed to pop up all over the place.) That and their fanfiction forum wasn't particularly active when I posted there, and on top of that, it wasn't as organized as PC. Here, you have the essential stickies -- rules, FFC, the important stuff -- limited to only a handful in the fanfics forum, which is completely separated from the discussion forum. You know where to post and, more importantly, where to look if you want either a story or a question about writing answered. Quality in fanfiction is generally better and more maintained, with a set of basic guidelines that are generally enforced. There (at least, two years ago, when I pretty much stopped posting there -- not sure if it's still the same), you had writing games and somewhat dry and boring fanfiction (if I recall correctly), so it was just a mix of threads you're not trying to find. And then, of course, when you did want to find one of those games (Line Inspiration was kinda cool, although everyone and their mother did Team Rocket stories for one reason or another.), you had to dig through bunches of fanfics and other threads to find it.

Also, on top of that, BMGf just feels a lot like FFNet sometimes. That place is pretty much the only forum where I've actually gotten nothing but vague, one-liner reviews. With no consciousness for grammar or spelling. As in, seriously, it was like FFNet was transplanted onto that forum. (Maybe it was just my luck, though.)

By the way, if that mod is who I think it is, you're in good company too, so I wouldn't feel too bad if she put you down. There's a number of amusing stories about her. Some of which aren't mine.

Edit: Also...

I think I love you. Will you marry me?

Okay! :D

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Agreed about BMGf. I couldn't wrap my mind around the organization of that forum's fanfiction section. On the two Pokemon forums where I still post, everything is organized. At SPPf, I know where to go to find discussions, completed fics, and non-Pokemon fics. Here is here, which I love for a variety of reasons.

And yes, the mod of BMGf is rather...amusing. And now y'all know what I keep quoting with the "out-walk a hurricane while waiting twenty-two minutes for a Lugia".

And...aw yeah. Polygamy.

Bay

Years
So I see why that hurricane joke has been going around. XD

And yeah, I'm a bit iffy about that mod too. At Serebii, I was very annoyed of her keep saying she wasn't able to post her nominations at the Awards thread and asking if it's all right to post it at the club or email the nominations. -_-

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years
And yeah, I'm a bit iffy about that mod too. At Serebii, I was very annoyed of her keep saying she wasn't able to post her nominations at the Awards thread and asking if it's all right to post it at the club or email the nominations. -_-
She writes some very good 'fic, though, which makes the personality problems unfortunate.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
After all of that talk, I had to go check it out; that place really is wired, but I can't say anything about the mod.

But they do need someone who knows how to organize things.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
She writes some very good 'fic, though, which makes the personality problems unfortunate.
Agreed. With her, it's another case of myself distancing the story from the author. Because she can write well. Quite well, from what I've seen. But her as an actual person is annoying.

So I'll read her fics, when and if I do, but try not to ever run across her as a person.

Post Office Buddy

Trapped inside this Octavarium
Years
So that's where the outwalking a hurricane thing came from. I thought it was a sign that the last shred of sanity you possessed was finally disappearing.

Anyway, this person seems very amusing. That wiki of her was win as well. I especially loved the part about paying rent and having a job, which happens to be a mod on a Pokemon forum. Bloody brilliant, I say (AHHHHH MY BRITISH SIDE IS TAKING OVER! NO! DON'T DO IT! NOT THAT! NOT THE FLAMETHROWER! AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
So that's where the outwalking a hurricane thing came from. I thought it was a sign that the last shred of sanity you possessed was finally disappearing.
You are implying that I even had a "last shred" of sanity before I started posting on this forum. I can safely tell you that that is not the case. My sanity was gone since I was two-years-old.

And if you think I am insane online, you should see me at my real job.

Random: TurtleKing's avatar is adorable.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'm on bmgf... quiet place for the most part. Mod there DOES write darn good stories though... asked me to review once too. -_-

Needless to say, PC > bmgf. Organisation, more fics, more quality fics, more helpful reviewers, etc... not saying bmgf is a bad place - it's not, but can be better and doesn't match up to this one.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
Holy ****, that's the most thickheaded person I've ever seen. Even if not in fics, she's certainly a n00b when it comes to social interaction, that's for sure.

So, I feel saner today than I did the other day. Still Nerf obsessed though. Man, I just need to get some sort of damn gun rather it shoots bullets or pellets or BBs or plastic BBs or foam darts or lasers or particle beams or SOMETHING soon before I...wait, I can't shoot anyone unless I already have a gun. Damn, now what am I going to do if I don't get one, shank someone? It could work.

@txteclipse: That video you posted is sheer win. Dear god, when I get a job in an office, mine better be like that or I swear to God I'll make it like that! FOR IT! *Me dons a blue tie* HORRAH!

If your characters found a genie, what would their three wishes be?
Shrike: A new computer, a better family, and an end to all this saving the world nonsense so he can get back to his journey.
Aira: Her parents back alive again, the person who killed said parents dead, and the person who told said person to kill said parents dead as well.
Rayne: More guns, stronger Arcana Energy (magic) abilities, and her memory fully restored.
Zack: His Pokémon returned to their former selves, the end of CORE, and getting inside Shrike's pants. Srsly.
Tashima: An actual non-cybernetic arm and leg, a life away from CYPHER, and the escape from the Earth he had been looking for years ago.

Notice how they all have some tragedy. I like to think that tragedy in a character's backstory is like frosting on a cake; you know it's bad for you/the fic, but you can never go without it.

Oh, their Pokémon as well:
Zethro (Cyndaquil): Food, more food, sleep
Jehiel (Zigzagoon): Bloodshed, mass murder, Shrike letting him actually do the first two
Ramiel (Electrike): ...His family brought back to life, strength, and Shrike's undying adoration
Fury (Aira): That Aira will never get hurt, that the two of them can be together forever, and getting in her pants. <_<
Matariel (Absol): That she can tell Rayne who she really is and why she's with her, that Rayne will quickly progress down the path towards her own self-discovery, and that she doesn't have to hide any secrets from Rayne any longer.

@The whole Ender's movie thing going on... Face it, if you're a fan of something you generally won't like any adaptation of it no matter the medium. The fact is that nothing can ever truly work in any medium other than its original one, and that if you are as intimate with that original as, say, Astinus is there's no way in hell that you'll be able to accept any new version of that story. If you aren't, however, you're much more likely to be able to enjoy it never having had past experience. In other words, rather any adaptation is good or bad largely depends on your individual background with the story. Of course, adaptations can simply turn out bad no matter what, but you can't determine that until it's actually released.

That reminds me, I've been intending to reread that book. Have it sitting on the shelf right above me, yep.

Astinus said:
And then there's the fact that this movie has been in the works for at least twenty years. It took that long to get just a working screenplay written.
It's almost like they hired me to write it.

What would your characters read if they had time to do something so trivial in the midst of their adventures? Comics? Books? Newspapers? The sides of cereal boxes?

Shrike would read adventure fiction (not fanfiction, obviously) other people have written about their dream Pokémon journeys and adventures. Basically like our fanfics, but without all the variance in regards to basic rules of the universe. He'd also work on writing his own, of course, since his real one sucks and has too much world saving stuff and not another Pokémon battles.

Rayne actually has been seen reading once. What was she reading? Well, at that point she hadn't gotten her gun yet but if she had I'd say it would be a guide on gun maintenance and such. Either that or romantic mysteries filled with action. Like my mom reads, but I don't think Rayne would be into vampires and werewolves as much...

And Aira would be straight up romance. The kind that makes guys puke. That and stories about gangsters since they remind her of when she was on the streets.

How long could a normal Pokemon live before dying of natural causes/ aka oldage?
Depends on species, living conditions, etc... Bug types would live shorter lives than mammalian Pokémon which would live shorter lives than psychics, and then arguably rock types could very well have the longest lifespan of them all since, well, they're friggin' rocks. The only thing they really have to fear is erosion. Rather they're living in the wild or belong to a trainer is probably also a big factor, since in the wild they have to contend with predators (well, unless they are a predator), natural disasters (there's not always a handy Ranger around to put out those forest fires, ya know), and such. With a trainer they're likely much better cared for, and Pokémon battles are pretty tightly controlled so as not to seriously harm the Pokémon. Well, unless they fight in the underground battles where anything goes and killing the opponent's Pokémon is normal.

I love my vision of the Pokémon world. So brutal, so bloody. So much more realistic -_-

What do you think happens to a trainer's Pokemon after the trainer dies, provided that the Pokemon still live?
While it doesn't really relate to my answer I guess I'll get into Pokéball mechanics like everyone else. Like others have said, my Pokéballs use a combination of a computer chip to store and ID the specific Pokémon it contains, and a sort of "tag" on the Pokémon to identify that it belongs to a trainer. I'm not quite settled on how the tags work yet, with my ideas ranging from a DNA injection sort of thing, to an Arcana Energy (magic) based thing. When held inside the ball, Pokémon are converted into raw Arcana Energy while their spirit is temporarily transferred to the Ethereal Plane. A fragment of their consciousness still resides within the ball, however, allowing them to be aware of their surroundings and try to escape by creating fluctuations in the stored energy. Various containment devices and shields are in place in the ball to restrict the energy, with more advanced shielding present in higher quality balls. If the energy fluctuations managed to breech all the shielding and come in contact with the inner surface of the ball, an automatic safety is triggered that release the Pokémon so that they don't end up compromising the ball's structural integrity (that would be bad, as it would mean they'd be stuck in an energy form forever). Transfers are done by rewriting the ball's internal memory that stores the ID of the trainer, and releases by wiping the tag on the Pokémon and the ball's Trainer and Pokémon ID memory. The balls do not break or anything, and in fact if you did break a ball while a Pokémon was inside there's the chance the Pokémon would essentially die (getting trapped in an energy form forever) if the safety can't kick in fast enough.

This obviously contradicts some things from canon. First of all there's the whole Pokéballs being single-use thing. That is a game mechanic, nothing more in my mind. It carries over to the anime because the anime is a cash-in on the game's success, so therefore it needs to keep some elements that will be familiar to viewers. Realistically, however, I see no reason why Pokéballs should be only single use, unless they use antiquated memory that can't be rewritten. Considering how our technology level is lower than theirs and we're fast past that point...I don't think that's it. Second is the whole Pokenet idea introduced in the Deoxys movie. Dear god, that's just complete ********. The whole damn movie is ********, and the worst one there is in my opinion. There's absolutely nothing that indicates anything like it exists anywhere else in canon; the writers just needed something to limit the Pokémon they can use and that's what resulted. It's not completely unfeasible in my world since the whole planet is wirelessly connected, but Pokéballs are already so advanced and crammed with tech that I think integrating a wireless transmitter is the last thing they need in there. Even if there was one, I just don't see how the net being down would prevent them from letting the Pokémon out. The release mechanism is entirely internal in the Pokéball and there's no reason it should have to send a request on the internet to be able to open.

To all those who whine about me breaking canon, I have this to say: "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Or simply, the TFC/TRINITY universe is an AU that tries to keep major elements of canon in place while expanding and tweaking aspects to be more realistic and sensible.

What I can see and in fact do like, is the idea that Pokéballs have an extremely short range transmitter that tells the trainer's Pokédex that they are currently in possession of whatever Pokémon. The Pokédex can then connect to a wireless internet and report to a server what Pokémon the trainer is currently carrying, thus ensuring that they do not exceed the legal max. (The ball teleportation thing doesn't exist in my world since it also doesn't make much sense and is just a cop-out, so I instead envision something like a Trainer has to deactivate any excess Pokéballs thus allowing them to not be used in official battles).

Anyways, the answer to the original question is that when a trainer dies, well...nothing happens. Any Pokémon that were out at the time are free to do what they want, while any in the Pokéballs remain in them until they are hopefully rescued by someone. The Pokémon dying with the trainer is, yet again, completely nonsensical and makes absolutely no sense or reason. I mean, unless the Pokémon used destiny bond on their trainer, why would they just drop dead at the same time? A heart attack? If the Pokémon are recovered the tag that prevents them from being captured can be removed, however most often it is not, even if the Pokémon does return to the wild. The League isn't all heartless...

And I feel sort of passive aggressive today.

*Notices txteclipse's Aura theory* Interesting thing there, in my world Aura is actually a subset of Arcana Energy that directly relates to life while AE relates to creation as a whole (corresponding to two of the Trinity gods which in turn represent creation, life, and death). The materials that Pokéballs are made out of in my world also have special properties, however that's pretty much where similarities end. Since converting a Pokémon's mass to energy is more creation oriented, the workings of a Pokéball in my world do not use what is referred to as Aura. Neat that I'm not the only one with a magical approach to technology, though.

Oh yeah, another thing. The interesting thing about this is that I've designed Pokéballs so that they're not necessarily limited to only capturing Pokémon. First you have to know that Arcana Energy is divided into three different types, Pokémon (colored red when the raw energy is compressed), Human (colored green), and Celestial (blue). Pokéballs are built with a sensor that immediately determines the target's composition before a capture is even attempted; only targets composed entirely of Pokémon type Arcana Energy (actual Pokémon) are allowed to be captured. Pure Human type (humans), Celestial type (angels), or a mixture of all three (inanimate objects and normal, non-sentient animals) are rejected. But, with some tampering...

One has to wonder why the villains don't just use modified Pokéballs to capture the heroes then. Well, that would be too easy. I like keeping my options open, though. :)

Oh yeah again, computer storage of Pokéballs isn't actually computer storage, it's like in the anime where the Pokémon are kept either in their Pokéballs someplace (anime shows Pokémon Centers holding them, I say that some big hub would instead), or sent to someone who releases them and cares for them until the Trainer wants them back, the later being a more long-term solution. The actual teleportation is just that, teleportation. I may not like it in Pokéballs itself, but inside a machine attached to a computer is fine. How does the teleportation work? **** if I know. Quantum wormholes or something, I guess.

That is undoubtedly the single most disjointed explanation I've ever given. Damn it for finding all this stuff being talked about and needing to just tack it on somewhere after the fact...

Buoysel said:
I think some people over think things sometimes.
But it's fun! :D

...WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN! ARGH, IF I'D POST MORE I WOULDN'T NEED TO WRITE ALL THESE TL;DR POSTS! I don't even remember what the first part of this post was about, for crying out loud! One day I'm going to write a reply that's too long for a single post, just you wait...

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
D:

Seriously, Shrike. I was going to quote your post to respond to something, but then I saw that your post was getting a little...teal. So...ugh.

@The whole Ender's movie thing going on... Face it, if you're a fan of something you generally won't like any adaptation of it no matter the medium. The fact is that nothing can ever truly work in any medium other than its original one, and that if you are as intimate with that original as, say, Astinus is there's no way in hell that you'll be able to accept any new version of that story. If you aren't, however, you're much more likely to be able to enjoy it never having had past experience. In other words, rather any adaptation is good or bad largely depends on your individual background with the story. Of course, adaptations can simply turn out bad no matter what, but you can't determine that until it's actually released.
It can, and actually has, worked as a video game. Card even has a video game based on Battle School, and since one of his sons is a video game designer, that's also a plus.

(I also worked out a way for the book to fit into the universe of Kingdom Hearts. I still have the notes lying around for that. I should seriously write it. >> )

And yes, I was excited for the comic, but once I saw it and then read it, I flipped out over the canon errors between comic and book. And then I proceeded to rant over the fact that Andrew punched someone in the comic. Dear Andy, that was a long rant that was a bore for others to read.

Like my mom reads, but I don't think Rayne would be into vampires and werewolves as much...
...Twilight? The movie opened tonight. There were massive amounts of fangirls running around praising Edward Cullen as being the "perfect old-fashioned boyfriend", and wearing homemade shirts saying "TEAM EDWARD! <3" It was on the news, and my mother asked why I didn't have piercings in my lips/nose like the girls the reporter interviewed. The explanation I gave made her laugh.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
Dammit, this huge rush of drunkards came rushing back into the dorm suddenly and are acting, well, drunk in the hall and bathroom. Not like that's much different than how they usually act, mind you. God, I hate the people here... Why do 90% of college students suck so hard...?

It can, and actually has, worked as a video game. Card even has a video game based on Battle School, and since one of his sons is a video game designer, that's also a plus.
There's a video game? *Looks it up* Hmm, it's not out yet, plus it's focused on the battle room and not the actual plot, so it has leeway (unless it includes Ender and other characters and completely ****s them up).

(I also worked out a way for the book to fit into the universe of Kingdom Hearts. I still have the notes lying around for that. I should seriously write it. >> )
Crossovers are always fun! :D And in KH's case, crossovers that break canon are the whole name of the game.

I really should write that Myst/Uru and Pokémon crossover sometime... I mean, if IMPULSE got a revival in TRINITY, surely Walking in the Shadows of Gods could too, thus reviving both failed fics from back when I churned out three concepts at once (only TFC going on, of course). The problem is, well, a distinct lack of people who even know WTF Myst and Uru are.

Like KH, a crossover would work well though since Myst and Uru assert the whole infinite parallel worlds in alternate universe theory, thus meaning there has to be an alternate world in which Pokémon exist. The problem is, who would actually write the book to link to it? My old idea was that the D'ni had actually written it and then Nintendo somehow found the book and commercialized the concept, but...that's a little odd. It'd probably be best if I use an alternate base world as well in which the whole Pokémon franchise doesn't exist.

*Notices everyone staring wondering WTF he's talking about*

That's what! *mumbles that he'll shoot someone with his nonexistent gun if they say they've never played the original Myst before at least*

And then I proceeded to rant over the fact that Andrew punched someone in the comic.
Someone needs to find a picture of his face and paste it on a Captain Falcon gif. NOW.

...Twilight? The movie opened tonight. There were massive amounts of fangirls running around praising Edward Cullen as being the "perfect old-fashioned boyfriend", and wearing homemade shirts saying "TEAM EDWARD! <3" It was on the news, and my mother asked why I didn't have piercings in my lips/nose like the girls the reporter interviewed. The explanation I gave made her laugh.
Oh god, I hope not. I try not to pay attention to what she reads, but I know she's at least mentioned them before. Oh, wait, I think I remember now... I...think my sister was asking her why she reads them. Oh god, I better have misheard, or be remembering wrong.

I think I need to puke now, BRB.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Darnit, you guys posted 3 whole pages while I was moping after getting 82% in my Maths yearly???!!! HOW DARE YOUSE ALL!

And thanks for letting me in, by teh ways, even if you guys will become convicted pedos, and some of the people won't even know it. :D
A computerized female voice echoed from a small speaker at the button of the ball. "The Pokémon you tried to dial is currently unavailable. We're experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again later and we're sorry for any inconvenience."

"Holy shi-" he began, but never finished his sentence. The stone boulders crushed his body, leaving nothing but a faint scent of iron that could be smelled from under the pile of rubble...
Total win!!!

Holy ****, that's the most thickheaded person I've ever seen. Even if not in fics, she's certainly a n00b when it comes to social interaction, that's for sure.

So, I feel saner today than I did the other day. Still Nerf obsessed though. Man, I just need to get some sort of damn gun rather it shoots bullets or pellets or BBs or plastic BBs or foam darts or lasers or particle beams or SOMETHING soon before I...wait, I can't shoot anyone unless I already have a gun. Damn, now what am I going to do if I don't get one, shank someone? It could work.

@txteclipse: That video you posted is sheer win. Dear god, when I get a job in an office, mine better be like that or I swear to God I'll make it like that! FOR IT! *Me dons a blue tie* HORRAH!

If your characters found a genie, what would their three wishes be?
Shrike: A new computer, a better family, and an end to all this saving the world nonsense so he can get back to his journey.
Aira: Her parents back alive again, the person who killed said parents dead, and the person who told said person to kill said parents dead as well.
Rayne: More guns, stronger Arcana Energy (magic) abilities, and her memory fully restored.
Zack: His Pokémon returned to their former selves, the end of CORE, and getting inside Shrike's pants. Srsly.
Tashima: An actual non-cybernetic arm and leg, a life away from CYPHER, and the escape from the Earth he had been looking for years ago.

Notice how they all have some tragedy. I like to think that tragedy in a character's backstory is like frosting on a cake; you know it's bad for you/the fic, but you can never go without it.

Oh, their Pokémon as well:
Zethro (Cyndaquil): Food, more food, sleep
Jehiel (Zigzagoon): Bloodshed, mass murder, Shrike letting him actually do the first two
Ramiel (Electrike): ...His family brought back to life, strength, and Shrike's undying adoration
Fury (Aira): That Aira will never get hurt, that the two of them can be together forever, and getting in her pants. <_<
Matariel (Absol): That she can tell Rayne who she really is and why she's with her, that Rayne will quickly progress down the path towards her own self-discovery, and that she doesn't have to hide any secrets from Rayne any longer.

That reminds me, I've been intending to reread that book. Have it sitting on the shelf right above me, yep.

It's almost like they hired me to write it.

What would your characters read if they had time to do something so trivial in the midst of their adventures? Comics? Books? Newspapers? The sides of cereal boxes?

Shrike would read adventure fiction (not fanfiction, obviously) other people have written about their dream Pokémon journeys and adventures. Basically like our fanfics, but without all the variance in regards to basic rules of the universe. He'd also work on writing his own, of course, since his real one sucks and has too much world saving stuff and not another Pokémon battles.

Rayne actually has been seen reading once. What was she reading? Well, at that point she hadn't gotten her gun yet but if she had I'd say it would be a guide on gun maintenance and such. Either that or romantic mysteries filled with action. Like my mom reads, but I don't think Rayne would be into vampires and werewolves as much...

And Aira would be straight up romance. The kind that makes guys puke. That and stories about gangsters since they remind her of when she was on the streets.

How long could a normal Pokemon live before dying of natural causes/ aka oldage?
Depends on species, living conditions, etc... Bug types would live shorter lives than mammalian Pokémon which would live shorter lives than psychics, and then arguably rock types could very well have the longest lifespan of them all since, well, they're friggin' rocks. The only thing they really have to fear is erosion. Rather they're living in the wild or belong to a trainer is probably also a big factor, since in the wild they have to contend with predators (well, unless they are a predator), natural disasters (there's not always a handy Ranger around to put out those forest fires, ya know), and such. With a trainer they're likely much better cared for, and Pokémon battles are pretty tightly controlled so as not to seriously harm the Pokémon. Well, unless they fight in the underground battles where anything goes and killing the opponent's Pokémon is normal.

I love my vision of the Pokémon world. So brutal, so bloody. So much more realistic -_-

While it doesn't really relate to my answer I guess I'll get into Pokéball mechanics like everyone else. Like others have said, my Pokéballs use a combination of a computer chip to store and ID the specific Pokémon it contains, and a sort of "tag" on the Pokémon to identify that it belongs to a trainer. I'm not quite settled on how the tags work yet, with my ideas ranging from a DNA injection sort of thing, to an Arcana Energy (magic) based thing. When held inside the ball, Pokémon are converted into raw Arcana Energy while their spirit is temporarily transferred to the Ethereal Plane. A fragment of their consciousness still resides within the ball, however, allowing them to be aware of their surroundings and try to escape by creating fluctuations in the stored energy. Various containment devices and shields are in place in the ball to restrict the energy, with more advanced shielding present in higher quality balls. If the energy fluctuations managed to breech all the shielding and come in contact with the inner surface of the ball, an automatic safety is triggered that release the Pokémon so that they don't end up compromising the ball's structural integrity (that would be bad, as it would mean they'd be stuck in an energy form forever). Transfers are done by rewriting the ball's internal memory that stores the ID of the trainer, and releases by wiping the tag on the Pokémon and the ball's Trainer and Pokémon ID memory. The balls do not break or anything, and in fact if you did break a ball while a Pokémon was inside there's the chance the Pokémon would essentially die (getting trapped in an energy form forever) if the safety can't kick in fast enough.

This obviously contradicts some things from canon. First of all there's the whole Pokéballs being single-use thing. That is a game mechanic, nothing more in my mind. It carries over to the anime because the anime is a cash-in on the game's success, so therefore it needs to keep some elements that will be familiar to viewers. Realistically, however, I see no reason why Pokéballs should be only single use, unless they use antiquated memory that can't be rewritten. Considering how our technology level is lower than theirs and we're fast past that point...I don't think that's it. Second is the whole Pokenet idea introduced in the Deoxys movie. Dear god, that's just complete ********. The whole damn movie is ********, and the worst one there is in my opinion. There's absolutely nothing that indicates anything like it exists anywhere else in canon; the writers just needed something to limit the Pokémon they can use and that's what resulted. It's not completely unfeasible in my world since the whole planet is wirelessly connected, but Pokéballs are already so advanced and crammed with tech that I think integrating a wireless transmitter is the last thing they need in there. Even if there was one, I just don't see how the net being down would prevent them from letting the Pokémon out. The release mechanism is entirely internal in the Pokéball and there's no reason it should have to send a request on the internet to be able to open.

To all those who whine about me breaking canon, I have this to say: "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" Or simply, the TFC/TRINITY universe is an AU that tries to keep major elements of canon in place while expanding and tweaking aspects to be more realistic and sensible.

What I can see and in fact do like, is the idea that Pokéballs have an extremely short range transmitter that tells the trainer's Pokédex that they are currently in possession of whatever Pokémon. The Pokédex can then connect to a wireless internet and report to a server what Pokémon the trainer is currently carrying, thus ensuring that they do not exceed the legal max. (The ball teleportation thing doesn't exist in my world since it also doesn't make much sense and is just a cop-out, so I instead envision something like a Trainer has to deactivate any excess Pokéballs thus allowing them to not be used in official battles).

Anyways, the answer to the original question is that when a trainer dies, well...nothing happens. Any Pokémon that were out at the time are free to do what they want, while any in the Pokéballs remain in them until they are hopefully rescued by someone. The Pokémon dying with the trainer is, yet again, completely nonsensical and makes absolutely no sense or reason. I mean, unless the Pokémon used destiny bond on their trainer, why would they just drop dead at the same time? A heart attack? If the Pokémon are recovered the tag that prevents them from being captured can be removed, however most often it is not, even if the Pokémon does return to the wild. The League isn't all heartless...

And I feel sort of passive aggressive today.

*Notices txteclipse's Aura theory* Interesting thing there, in my world Aura is actually a subset of Arcana Energy that directly relates to life while AE relates to creation as a whole (corresponding to two of the Trinity gods which in turn represent creation, life, and death). The materials that Pokéballs are made out of in my world also have special properties, however that's pretty much where similarities end. Since converting a Pokémon's mass to energy is more creation oriented, the workings of a Pokéball in my world do not use what is referred to as Aura. Neat that I'm not the only one with a magical approach to technology, though.

Oh yeah, another thing. The interesting thing about this is that I've designed Pokéballs so that they're not necessarily limited to only capturing Pokémon. First you have to know that Arcana Energy is divided into three different types, Pokémon (colored red when the raw energy is compressed), Human (colored green), and Celestial (blue). Pokéballs are built with a sensor that immediately determines the target's composition before a capture is even attempted; only targets composed entirely of Pokémon type Arcana Energy (actual Pokémon) are allowed to be captured. Pure Human type (humans), Celestial type (angels), or a mixture of all three (inanimate objects and normal, non-sentient animals) are rejected. But, with some tampering...

One has to wonder why the villains don't just use modified Pokéballs to capture the heroes then. Well, that would be too easy. I like keeping my options open, though. :)

Oh yeah again, computer storage of Pokéballs isn't actually computer storage, it's like in the anime where the Pokémon are kept either in their Pokéballs someplace (anime shows Pokémon Centers holding them, I say that some big hub would instead), or sent to someone who releases them and cares for them until the Trainer wants them back, the later being a more long-term solution. The actual teleportation is just that, teleportation. I may not like it in Pokéballs itself, but inside a machine attached to a computer is fine. How does the teleportation work? **** if I know. Quantum wormholes or something, I guess.

That is undoubtedly the single most disjointed explanation I've ever given. Damn it for finding all this stuff being talked about and needing to just tack it on somewhere after the fact...

But it's fun! :D

...WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN! ARGH, IF I'D POST MORE I WOULDN'T NEED TO WRITE ALL THESE TL;DR POSTS! I don't even remember what the first part of this post was about, for crying out loud! One day I'm going to write a reply that's too long for a single post, just you wait...

Scary amount of writing.

I go away now.

What's TL;DR mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back