• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Team Slot Elimination Challenge

welsknight

That Youtuber Guy
Years
teamsloteliminationchallenge.png

Welcome to the Team Slot Elimination Challenge!

The premise is simple: whenever one of your Pokemon faints, you have to permanently reduce the maximum number of Pokemon allowed on your team by one! This challenge can be attempted on any official Pokemon game, and most unofficial ones.

MANDATORY RULES:
1) You may catch as many Pokemon as you want, wherever you want. However, you cannot catch multiple Pokemon of the same species. Pokemon that have multiple evolution lines (Eevee, Wurmple, etc.) or are different based on gender (like Nidoran) are an exception, in which case you are allowed to obtain only 1 of each evolution line.
2) If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead, and cannot be used again. Even when dead, it still counts towards rule #1.
3) You start with a maximum of 6 Pokemon on your team. Each time one of your Pokemon faints, that number is permanently reduced by 1.
4) You fail the challenge if all of your Pokemon team slots are eliminated. Therefore, if you have your maximum allowed number of Pokemon and you white out, the challenge is ended and you have failed. If you white out with less than your maximum number of allowed Pokemon, you are allowed to continue the challenge with Pokemon from your PC boxes, but you must still eliminate team slots equal to the number of Pokemon that fainted when you whited out.
5) The normal rules do not apply to HM Slaves, but they cannot be used in battle.
6) All of your Pokemon must be legally caught by you, although trades with NPCs are allowed. This rule does not apply to games that consist entirely of a hacked ROM (i.e., Zeta, Volt White, etc.). However, you are not allowed to hack yourself specific Pokemon or obtain them through AR codes, etc.
7) If you have less than 6 allowed team slots, and you capture a wild Pokemon, the wild Pokemon cannot be used until after returning to a PC and reducing the number of Pokemon on your team to comply with your limit.
8) SPECIAL JOHTO RULE (applies only to G/S/C and HG/SS): After beating the Johto Elite Four and Champion, you are once again allowed a maximum number of 6 Pokemon on your team. If you are attempting this challenge on a mode other than standard, your number of gym badges is also considered to be reset (so beating the first Kanto gym leader would count as your first gym badge).
8) Your challenge ends upon defeating the Elite Four and Champion, unless you are playing G/S/C or HG/SS, in which case it ends when you defeat Red in Mt. Silver.

Optional Rules:
O1: The use of legendary Pokemon is forbidden.
O2: You must nickname all your Pokemon.
O3: You must swap one team member into your PC box for another living Pokemon after obtaining each gym badge. The team member that has been replaced cannot return to the team until after obtaining the next gym badge.
O4: You are not allowed to use healing items, with the exception of held items (berries, leftovers, etc.).
O5: You must change your battle style from "Shift" to "Set".

Standard Mode: Consists of the mandatory rules above, and any optional ones you choose to add.

Hard Mode: After obtaining the fourth gym badge, you lose a team slot if none of your Pokemon have fainted yet. After obtaining the eighth gym badge, you lose another team slot unless two or more of them have already been eliminated. Also includes all the mandatory rules from Standard Mode.

Insanity mode: After obtaining each even-numbered gym badge, you lose a team slot, unless the loss of said slot would cause you to fail the challenge. This means that you will have to tackle the Elite Four and Champion with no more than two Pokemon on your team. Also consists of all the mandatory rules from Standard Mode.

Sadistic Mode: Consists of all the rules from Insanity Mode, plus all the optional rules. After catching your first two Pokemon, you must release your starter into the wild.

How to Sign Up
Username:
Game:
Optional Rules:
Mode:

Example (which is my actual signup)
Username: welsknight
Game: LeafGreen
Optional Rules: O1, O2
Mode: Standard

For an Ultimate run (attempting challenge on all games), put "ULTIMATE" for game.

Challengers:

Spoiler:

Champions:

Spoiler:

If you wish to suggest a rule, or ask for clarification on something that seems unclear, please reply to this post and I will respond as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
Challenge sounds fun and interesting, is it ok if I play on a version of FireRed that I hacked myself? Just evolved all the random trainers level 34 charmanders and pidgeys, gave all the gym leaders 6 pokemon instead of their usual 2-4, and increased the diversity of the Elite 4 teams on top of raising their levels due to the extra exp the gym leaders and trainers give due to the extra/evolved pokemon. Also, I'd like to randomize the pokes in the wild for fun.

If so:

Username: Darkhelmet
Game: Hacked FireRed
Optional Rules: O1, O2, O3
Mode: Hard

welsknight

That Youtuber Guy
Years
Challenge sounds fun and interesting, is it ok if I play on a version of FireRed that I hacked myself? Just evolved all the random trainers level 34 charmanders and pidgeys, gave all the gym leaders 6 pokemon instead of their usual 2-4, and increased the diversity of the Elite 4 teams on top of raising their levels due to the extra exp the gym leaders and trainers give due to the extra/evolved pokemon. Also, I'd like to randomize the pokes in the wild for fun.

If so:

Username: Darkhelmet
Game: Hacked FireRed
Mode: Hard

I don't see a problem with it, as long as you don't randomize the wild Pokemon, because you are hacking it to further increase the difficulty. Randomized Pokemon in the wild on a challenge where you can catch almost everything on the other hand greatly diminishes the challenge.

Therefore, I can add you as long as you don't randomize the wild Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
I don't see a problem with it, as long as you don't randomize the wild Pokemon, because you are hacking it to further increase the difficulty. Randomized Pokemon in the wild on a challenge where you can catch almost everything on the other hand greatly diminishes the challenge.

Therefore, I can add you as long as you don't randomize the wild Pokemon.

I will not randomize them then.

Hippowtom

Hippowtom
Years
Very interesting nuzlock variant, I'll be looking forward for this!

Username: Lehtot
Game: Emerald
Mode: Standard

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
ok I gotta remember this after I finish the 2 im working on ill do this I love the idea btw

Hippowtom

Hippowtom
Years
Update on my Emerald run:

Spoiler:

Team:

Spoiler:

welsknight

That Youtuber Guy
Years
Update on my TSE run (White 2):

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Hippowtom

Hippowtom
Years
Update on Emerald run:

Spoiler:

Team:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
Sorry I havent started yet, just been a busy past few days and finishing up a random pokemon run I had signed up for before this one. Should be able to start this tomorrow or Friday

Hippowtom

Hippowtom
Years
Emerald run completed! It was pretty easy and quick considering that even though Emerald is a bit longer than R/S its pretty short game...

Final update:

Spoiler:

Final Team:

Spoiler:

This was very fun and I was thinking if I could make an ultimate run through?
If that's possible I will most definetly participate!!

welsknight

That Youtuber Guy
Years
Emerald run completed! It was pretty easy and quick considering that even though Emerald is a bit longer than R/S its pretty short game...

Final update:

Spoiler:

Final Team:

Spoiler:

This was very fun and I was thinking if I could make an ultimate run through?
If that's possible I will most definetly participate!!

Congratulations! I will add you to the list of champions, and YES, you may certainly attempt an Ultimate run. Just resubmit your sign-up, and for game, put ULTIMATE. (That way if you feel like changing any of your optional rules you can). If you do not change any rules, you may obviously count your Emerald completion towards your ultimate run.

Last edited:

Hippowtom

Hippowtom
Years
Congratulations! I will add you to the list of champions, and YES, you may certainly attempt an Ultimate run. Just resubmit your sign-up, and for game, put ULTIMATE. (That way if you feel like changing any of your optional rules you can). If you do not change any rules, you may obviously count your Emerald completion towards your ultimate run.

Thanks! I think I will stick with the same rules throughout, since it wasn't too easy and I had to plan ahead with my switches :) So here's my sign up:

Gamemode: ULTIMATE
Games: Leaf Green, Silver, Emerald (completed tho), Platinum and White 2
Mode: Hard (for Leaf green and Silver), Standard (for the rest)

I'll get on with it right away!

welsknight

That Youtuber Guy
Years
Thanks! I think I will stick with the same rules throughout, since it wasn't too easy and I had to plan ahead with my switches :) So here's my sign up:

Gamemode: ULTIMATE
Games: Leaf Green, Silver, Emerald (completed tho), Platinum and White 2
Mode: Hard (for Leaf green and Silver), Standard (for the rest)

I'll get on with it right away!

I've got it updated! Glad you're enjoying this challenge, and as always, best of luck!

EDIT (5 Oct 14): Given that I am the creator of this challenge, and the proud creator of a Youtube channel, I came to realize that there is no reason that I should not be doing my challenge run as a Let's Play. Therefore, I am withdrawing my White 2 challenge run, and replacing it with a run through Pokemon LeafGreen. Expect to see updates in the form of videos soon!

EDIT (7 Oct 14): Here's the first and second video documenting my challenge run!

EDIT (8 Oct 14): Here's the third video!

Edit (10 Oct 14): Here's the next one!

Last edited:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Username: ShinyUmbreon189
Game: Liquid Crystal
Optional Rules: If my Pokemon faints from Critical hit 3 times its considered dead
Mode: Standard (the difficulty curb is higher in the hack so it's more challenging)

I have a quick question. Since it is a legitimate FR hack of Crystal the Johto rules still apply right? In Johto falls you get a Chikorita through an event so am I allowed to use it? It's level 5 but I can easily have it evolved and leveled up for the Elite Four since Victory road is easy training.

Also. If I had 4-5 Pokemon when I landed in Johto since 1 or 2 fainted can I still use the Chikorita?

I doubt I'll make it that far anyways, this game is extremely difficult. Everybody's Pokemon are overpowered.

Last edited:

Hippowtom

Hippowtom
Years
Finally an update! Been so busy with school and stuff so I was having a hard time first of all playing the challenge and second making an update here on PokéComm!

Spoiler:

Current Team: (No deaths so far... yay!)

Spoiler:

Back