• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pope Benedict XVI to resign February 28th

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Pope Benedict XVI announces his resignation at end of month

Pope Benedict XVI on Monday said he plans on resigning the papal office on February 28th. Below please find his announcement.

Full text of Pope's declaration

Dear Brothers,
I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today's world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.
Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.
From the Vatican, 10 February 2013

BENEDICTUS PP XVI
Source: http://en.radiovaticana.va/articolo.asp?c=663815

I know there's not really lot of religious people here, but I wonder what other people's thoughts on this news is.

To me it's shocking to hear, cause never in my life has a Pope resigned. All of the modern Popes have stayed in office until death so it's a bit of a surprise to people. As a Catholic this is relevant to me for I hope and pray that his successor can lead the Church strong.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
What the....resigning? I too am familiar with the whole till they die thing, this is completely out of the blue. I guess today's society has evolved way too rapidly for the current Pope to fully understand it. I wonder if this means that whoever the new Pope will be is someone of a much younger stature. Not catholic btw, but I do believe the Pope's position is one to respect.

Years
I am catholic so I guess this shocked me a bit. Almost every other pope I heard of stay on until death but to actually see one step down was a bit odd.

But yeah, sad to see him go.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Apparently the last time this happened is in the 1400s. Something must be really wrong for him to have taken this choice, I mean 700 years since the last resignation? Its just a sign of how troubled the church is...

Treecko

Years
Apparently the last time this happened is in the 1400s. Something must be really wrong for him to have taken this choice, I mean 700 years since the last resignation? Its just a sign of how troubled the church is...
He resigned cause of his health and old age. At 85, you'd expect a position like leading a Church as big as Catholicism to be too much work at his age. In order to lead it takes lots of strength and right now he's not healthy enough to hold that responsibility. It has nothing to do with how "troubled" the Church is.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Like AW said, you shouldn't have to expect so much of someone of his age and poor health condition. While it is out of the ordinary and not typical of a Pope to resign (and such is apparent) and I'd honestly rather the man not be miserable for the remainder of his life trying to work so hard, albeit for the sake of his religion, in such poor health.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
True, but the only explanation would be if he was diagnosed with Dementia or Alzheimer, as it was rumored a couple of years ago. Health otherwise has never been an issue for the Pope,and every single one has been on their deathbed still in that position. Health is a serious issue, I understand that, but unless its mental health then psychical health I do not see why he would resign when others haven't.

Treecko

Years
From what I hear, he also apparently is suffering with Parkinson's disease, so I can see how that and his advanced age would be a hindrance to adequately fulfilling his duties. In his state I wouldn't want him to try to keep leading the Church cause of the amount of strength of body and mind it requires. I rather have someone younger and healthier lead something of such great responsibility.

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
This realy came as a suprise. But I guess If his health is in such a poor state then its okay. After all his duties are extremely demanding. Allthough this is still quite shocking. Well I hope that the successor has his heart and mind in right place.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I say good for him, kinda taking the high road like that. Unlike his predecessor who was there until he looked like the crypt keeper; you just felt sorry for him whenever he made an appearance

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I also think it's a much more dignified way to leave. Not to mention all the crazy stuff with his butler and all the stuff being leaked, I don't think an old man could stand all the political intrigues. As the Vatican's official newspaper -L'Osservatore Romano- put it, he was "a shepherd surrounded by wolves". I'm pretty sure someone like him will have a much better life praying and resting than controlling (or attempting to) a Church-State as the Vatican.

Now let's look forward for the next +70-year-old Pope to be chosen by "the wolves" next month.

Years
I also think it's a much more dignified way to leave. Not to mention all the crazy stuff with his butler and all the stuff being leaked, I don't think an old man could stand all the political intrigues. As the Vatican's official newspaper -L'Osservatore Romano- put it, he was "a shepherd surrounded by wolves". I'm pretty sure someone like him will have a much better life praying and resting than controlling (or attempting to) a Church-State as the Vatican.

Now let's look forward for the next +70-year-old Pope to be chosen by "the wolves" next month.

On top of that, from what I read, these 'wolves' would be most likely electing another wolf, the generation of cardinals and bishops that are just now coming up are known for their hardline stances and ultra conservative viewpoints. So we're regressing again. And there's also pressure to elect a non-Europen pope to appease Africa & Latin America.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
On top of that, from what I read, these 'wolves' would be most likely electing another wolf, the generation of cardinals and bishops that are just now coming up are known for their hardline stances and ultra conservative viewpoints. So we're regressing again. And there's also pressure to elect a non-Europen pope to appease Africa & Latin America.
I'm fine with a non-European pope. I don't think that's a requirement. Peter wasn't European.

I'd like to see a North American pope, but I don't think that'll happen.

True, but the only explanation would be if he was diagnosed with Dementia or Alzheimer, as it was rumored a couple of years ago. Health otherwise has never been an issue for the Pope,and every single one has been on their deathbed still in that position. Health is a serious issue, I understand that, but unless its mental health then psychical health I do not see why he would resign when others haven't.

I think it is probably along those lines. I think he may be very ill. Just based simply on the timeline of when he's announced he's leaving.

He's leaving in the middle of Lent! That's huge. Easter is a big deal. Sure, in the secular world Santa trumps the Easter Bunny. But, for Catholics (and probably other Christians?) Easter is greater than Christmas. It is holier. It is more important. It is what the entire religion is built on.

For him to leave during the Easter season and leave the Church in a state of transition throughout it, sounds to me like he's very ill if he could not wait a month more for Easter to conclude.

Last edited:
Years
I'm glad to see this pope leave. It means there is ever so slight a chance that the next pope won't be anti-gay, anti-contraception, and anti- lots of positive things in the world. I think it also undermines the religious authority of the papacy to have a pope retire, and I'm all for less religious influence in the world.

Still, it's sad to see an ill old man and I wouldn't wish Parkinson's, Alzheimer's or anything else like that on anyone.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I'm glad to see this pope leave. It means there is ever so slight a chance that the next pope won't be anti-gay, anti-contraception, and anti- lots of positive things in the world. I think it also undermines the religious authority of the papacy to have a pope retire, and I'm all for less religious influence in the world.

Still, it's sad to see an ill old man and I wouldn't wish Parkinson's, Alzheimer's or anything else like that on anyone.
From that short-list, I think changing views on contraception would be more likely than gay marriage. They already encourage "family planning", which would imply that "good Catholic people" don't always get it on just to have a child. So, contraception would just facilitate that I think. Plus, the number of people who identify themselves as Catholics and don't use contraceptives is probably really quite small.

But, I still don't see it happening XD

Honest

Hi!
Years
Last pope resigned about 600 years ago, so this is definitely something that doesn't happen often.

I'm not Catholic, so to be totally honest, I don't care that he's resigning. I do wish him well in his health though. The dude is old.

Altomare

Purupuru!
Years
Just heard this news earlier.
Although I don't really care (not catholic, protestant actually) , since the Philippines is a primarily catholic I'd be watching the news and asking friends what their opinion on this is.

FenrirDarkWolf

Water Musician Fenrir
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2013
Hey! This was something we talked about in history....
The teacher wanted us to find today's breaking news.
Truth be told, I'm a Catholic, yes, but, I do very little with religion. Wish him the best of luck with his heath problems though, old guy's gonna need it.

Back