• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen [GREEN]The ugliest sprites

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 27, 2016
I would have to say Mew in Red (Original, not Localized) and Green would be the winner for ugliest Pokemon sprites.

To me, Gen 1 has the most ugly sprites of the generation, namely Red (Both original and localized,) Green, and Blue.

Varion Bluefire

A.K.A The Glitch
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 3, 2015
Vileplume.

Just ... no. It's flower isn;t even connected correctly to it's head.
srsly.

But, Raticate is a good sprite here.

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
Yeah Green version's sprites were just bad. Wigglytuff looks high, Dragonite looks anorexic and Mew looks...weird. They make me appreciate the newer sprites ha ha.

MrElephant

Pokemon Researcher
Years
I actually like all of the original designs. If it weren't for these original pokemon I wouldn't have been playing the game all of these years. I still remember when I played original red and green for the first time a long time ago.

Sliter

Gaijin Trainer
Years
I actually like all of the original designs. If it weren't for these original pokemon I wouldn't have been playing the game all of these years. I still remember when I played original red and green for the first time a long time ago.
I agree you, come on they look funny, another day I played with a friend the green (of another friend) on the pokemon stadium "0", we had fun looking the sprites, but who don`t think funny how the stufs where comparing with what they are today? XD
Just is sad how some people don't know that green and red os the first version and blue an updates, but less ugly sprites, and from that blue come the wesernt red and blue, yellow isn't the "update version in gen1" lol

catroZ

Working...Don't bother me...
Years
Fun fact of the day!
Mew in pokemon green is meant to be based of a human foetus. It wasn't until the localised red and blue when gamefreak decided to base mew on a cat.
BTW Mew is one if the ugliest sprites in green.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
Years
Fun fact of the day!
Mew in pokemon green is meant to be based of a human foetus. It wasn't until the localised red and blue when gamefreak decided to base mew on a cat.

I didn't know that :O

Makes far more sense

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Fun fact of the day!

Source? Otherwise, yeah, I'm on the Mew is terrible train as well. Too lazy to look the rest up, but Mew stands out in memory.

Conversely, some Green/Red sprites look better than the eventual Blue ones do.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 19, 2022
To me, Venusaur looks gawd awful, wigglytuff's eyes are different sizes and goofy looking, and mew is just...uhh..deformed. o_O
And poor vaporeon is so ugly...:<
There are lot of ugly ones but I'm not sure which one gets first place.

Nymue

Draconic Neophyte
Years
Wigglytuff's odd-sized eyes are weirding me out in particular.

Haunter looks very amused. I like it.

But the one that really makes me sad is Mew. Honestly, I can't help finding Mew the cutest Pokemon, bar none, and it's a bit scary to think that this is what he might have looked like for generations to come.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 12, 2013
It's a toss between Gengar and Sandslash. Some of them I actually like a lot though- like Psyduck and Poliwrath.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 8, 2015
It's funny, because in my nostalgia days, I found Green sprites more appealing. As a Kid, I actually found Charizard to be brighter, and looked more firey... It's possible if I actually played it I would have probably had nightmares...

Back